Zimmermann Scratched From Tonight's Start

A little non-draft news for the afternoon.

Jordan Zimmermann has been scratched from tonight's start; the Nats just announced that Ross Detwiler will get the call tonight against the Reds. The team provided no initial reason for the swap, but we'll know more within the hour, once the clubhouse media availability begins.

Without Zimmermann, the Nats' rotation for this series against the Reds goes as follows:

Tonight -- Detwiler

Wednesday -- Shairon Martis

Thursday -- John Lannan

Again, I'll update this soon.

By Chico Harlan  |  June 9, 2009; 3:26 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Strategy With The Tenth Overall Pick
Next: Zimmermann, Willingham, Lineups

Comments

Oh no :(

Posted by: PattyinSJ | June 9, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Hope its nothing serious *crossing my fingers*

Posted by: FloresFan | June 9, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm trying to decide what is worse: 1) he has been traded for more talent or 2) he is injured and will go on the DL.

I don't know that I could take the heartbreak of losing a great prospect or the heartbreak of finding another injury-prone great prospect.

Pulling for flu-like symptoms.

Posted by: Section506 | June 9, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Heh, it's like you read my mind, 506. Except that the trade possibility hadn't occurred to me, probably due to the snake-bit nature of our squad.
---

Pulling for flu-like symptoms.

Posted by: Section506 | June 9, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 9, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Please not "day to day."
That means, plays never again.
Good luck, where are you?

Let'slay two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | June 9, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

BTW, if it's injury we have to go en masse to Nationals Park to practice some Santeria...or an exorcism...or something...hmmm...wonder whether we could find a Phillies Phan to sacrifice?

And, no, you can't take a bat to the sculptures. Okay, maybe torch off a stray arm or two. What am I saying? What's become of me? It's Natsluck, I tell ya.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 9, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Please not, "Day to day."
That means never plays again.
Good Luck, where are you?

Let's play two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | June 9, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

As I browse through the comments here (actually, the last thread)... I have a question for the masses...

Do you really believe that if a team is negotiating with Scott Boras on two different players, that the outcome of one of the negotiations has an intentional effect on the other? In other words, if the Nats draft Strasburg and Green (both Boras clients) that the outcomes of those negotiations would be substantively different than if the Nats were negotiating with one or the other, but not both?

That would be a conflict of interest on Boras' part. Boras is a lot of things, but he's not stupid enough to do that.

It would be easy to assume that the negotiations are dependent events... and certainly they are linked, but no more so than the contract negotiations of any draft pick or free agent would be to any other - the marketplace defines the amount of money available. If you spend X dollars on one free agent or draft pick, there is X dollars less to sign others, and that might change the budgetary calculus.

But to say that when the Nats and Boras negotiate for Strasburg that Boras is going to use one negotiation to leverage another is crazy.

Suppose your real estate agent represents you and another buyer on two different condos in the same building... and your agent says to the building owner that client A is not as savvy a shopper as client B, so give me a deal on B, and I can get you A, too... that would be malpractice... and that is exactly the situation that I think people are suggesting... I recognize that the roles of buyer and seller are reversed here, but the concept is the same - Boras cannot allow the negotiations for one client influence the outcome of another.

As weasely as agents are, they have nothing if they're not ethical... especially Boras. People already hate dealing with Boras. What player is going to sign with him if they're concerned about whether they're getting the best representation possible? If you're Green, do you want your agent to go all-in with your negotiations so that he can leverage more money for Strasburg? And is that in your best interest... especially if you want to be playing in the minors in a few weeks?

Posted by: wigi | June 9, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Gulp. Let's hope that he and Willingham were sharing a water bottle or something.

Come on, Flu-Like-Symptoms!!

Go away, "soreness in the forearm"

Posted by: Highway295Revisited | June 9, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double post. Tried to correct the original on the fly.

Let's play (not post) two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | June 9, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Interesting point, Wigi, although Boras is rather a "double duty" sort of player on the ethics front, being both a lawyer and an agent. ;-)

Hey, SlowPitch, good to "see" you. You didn't happen to be taking part in a long ball exhibition at Nats Park over the weekend, did you? I enjoyed the show that was put on by the Long Haul Bombers before Sunday's game.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 9, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Bill Ladson is reporting an "undisclosed injury".

Crap.

Posted by: Sec_319 | June 9, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Okay, one more idea. They have those little racing president dolls for sale in the team store. Maybe we could do a little ritualistic something involving three of them (no Teddy, of course) and the statues on the plaza?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 9, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

*&#%$!!@!!, 319. (Nothing personal, you being the messenger and all.)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 9, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Wigi,
You're absolutely right. I didn't dive into the discussion, but I'm glad you did, because I was afraid it would result in a food fight. We've had too many of those lately.

Let's play two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | June 9, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

"Maybe we could do a little ritualistic something involving three of them (no Teddy, of course) and the statues on the plaza?"

Agree, as long as the statues end up destroyed.

"*&#%$!!@!!, 319. (Nothing personal, you being the messenger and all.)"

Agree, this only exists because 319 introduced it into our world, therefore 319 is the cause of the injury!

Posted by: Section506 | June 9, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

The Times Chatter blog says it's a minor injury - soreness in the right elbow. It also says that Zimmermann was told it's not serious and that he's scheduled to pitch on Saturday.

I say the day-to-day announcement is pending.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 9, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

natsfan1a1,
Thanks for asking but, no, alas, I'm a cut or two below those guys, although last year in a tournament in Glen Burnie I hit one over a 300' fence that was 8-10' high and over another 10' high fence that was up a hill 20' higher and about 70-80' from the first fence into a woman's prison. I was afraid to go after the ball. My wife was proud of me...not for the blast but as she said,"After 64 years you finally are showing signs of good judgement by not going after the ball."

Let's play two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | June 9, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Minor "elbow soreness." Crap. Jordan Zimmermann is now never going to pitch another inning for the Nats.

Posted by: wahoo2x | June 9, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

From the Washington Times:

UPDATE (3:42 p.m.): Turns out Zimmermann does have a minor injury. He experienced soreness in his right elbow after throwing a side session Friday. Zimmermann was told the injury is not serious and is now scheduled to pitch Saturday against the Rays.

-----------

Umm...at least it's not the forearm? I'm no doctor but my impression with pitchers is elbow soreness = bad

Posted by: cheeseburger53 | June 9, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Your feat is suitably impressive, SlowPitch, and your wife sounds like a funny lady.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 9, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

1a1,
Courtesy and a sense of humour are the keys to our marriage. I've learned to laugh at myself and my wife frequently makes it the majority opinion by joining in.

Maybe tonight a 6:00 our collective Nat's luck will begin to change. I'm going to be tuned in.

Let's play two

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | June 9, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Go on, SlowPitch, I'm taking notes.

Posted by: Section506 | June 9, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

506, I think you meant to say "*Please* go on."

Courtesy, my friend.

Posted by: Scooter_ | June 9, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

So long as it is just some minor soreness of the elbow ligament with the extra rest as just a precaution. Lets hope they ran through a precautionary XRay and MRI just in case.

I was looking forward to seeing another great pitching performance by Jordan tonight.

Posted by: dmacman88 | June 9, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

According to Mark Zuckerman for the other daily in town, Jordan Zimmerman had some pain in his pitching elbow. He experiened the tightness throwing a side session in the bullpen. He has been told the injury is not serious and he is scheduled to retrunt to the rotation in time for a start on Sat against the Rays.

There you have it folks. Lets hope its only a slight setback but with this team you just vnever know.

Posted by: TippyCanoe | June 9, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Highway295Revisited | June 9, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohninMpls | June 9, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Grow, not "go" - ugh.

Posted by: Highway295Revisited | June 9, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

1a1, 506, Scooter,
Step 1 - Make a deal with God. She said if I learned to laugh at myself she would provide me a constant source of amusement.
Step 2 - Fall in love with a significant other.
Step 3 - Realize you are going to be in close proximity for good times and bad for a long time.
Step 4 - Realize You get to decide Your attitude.
Step 5 - Courtesy equals respect.
Step 6 - Laughter equals joy.
Step 7 - Next time you look up, 39 years have gone by and you are hoping for 39 more.

Let's play two

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | June 9, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Hey JiM you know they can't trade dra---
Never mind.

Posted by: mojo6 | June 9, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Aaaah! Why !!!!! Somebody better call Scooter and make sure that he is not out on a ledge somewhere.

Posted by: lowcountry | June 9, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Why isn't Strasburg pitching?

He can be drafted at 6 and signed by 7:05. Come on, Stan.

Posted by: 08Cubs | June 9, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

"Courtesy, my friend."

RAR RAR RAR, I'm so mad, that's so ridiculous, I have no sense of humor either!!!

Posted by: Section506 | June 9, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Sound like good tips, SlowPitch. I have to say, the statistics are on your side, and I'm sure your wife's VORW is through the roof thanks to the reliable veteran status.

Posted by: Section506 | June 9, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Elbow Soreness..oh crap, hes probably slated for Tommy John Surgery...hes finished.

Posted by: BigCarter28 | June 9, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

"They packaged Zimmermann and tonight's first overall pick in a trade for an undisclosed player. More to come.

Posted by: JohninMpls | June 9, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse "

To bad you cant trade draft picks....

Posted by: BigCarter28 | June 9, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

It was a joke, man.

Posted by: JohninMpls | June 9, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Haha, I award JiM points for the package comment. Fire the pitching coach!

Posted by: Section506 | June 9, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Honestly, I would immediately put Zimmermann on the DL for two weeks. Do not let him open a beer, touch a bat, grab a ball for a week. We do not want him to rack up too many innings this year, and the phrase "sore elbow" is never good. Please be cautious with this guy.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | June 9, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

The only joke I appreciate is the Nationals.

Posted by: BigCarter28 | June 9, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

JohnInMpls, I think you're onto the truth. They're packaging Strasburg (in a sign-and-trade deal) with Zimmerman. In return, they get ... wait for it ... another corner outfielder ... BARRY BONDS!!!

And in his first game in a "Natinals" uniform, the name on his jersey reads "Bands" (and Teddy "Rossevelt" wins the Presidents race).

Posted by: SilverSpring8 | June 9, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

"I think the answer to the Nats injury problems is to sacrifice Clint to the statues. Maybe then they will be appeased, and Zimmermann, taking after the Big Train, will go three more arms, allowing him to use #2 and #3 while the elbow on ol' #1 heals. And if it doesn't heal, they can just cut that one off, in hopes it grows back, salamander-style.

Posted by: Highway295Revisited | June 9, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse "
------------------------------------
No doubt Elijah would have something to say about sacrifices to statues.

That's why he does not bunt with runners on base. Just being proud of his name.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | June 9, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Okay, the rest of y'all have fun tonight; I gotta go.

JORDAN needs me.

sigh

Posted by: Scooter_ | June 9, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the tips, SlowPitch. Given that you and your spouse have about 13 years on my hubby and me, I will take notes as well. ;-)

Yes, good one, JiM.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 9, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I also vote for no video games, computer time, BlackBerry times, and all of those other new-fangled contraptions for Z'nn, jca.

You and Jordan will get through this Scooter, I just know it.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 9, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Sign Livan Hernandez!

It's like a trip down memory lane.

"Do not let him open a beer"

Why is it the guy who has a career that can get someone else to do this for him is also the guy who can't truly take advantage of it (or at all, per Julian Tavares).

Posted by: Section506 | June 9, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

BlackBerry *time.* I guess that he can listen to his iPod, though.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | June 9, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

And then promptly catches on fire when fireworks debris lands on the costumed head?

And even this doesn't even include all the Nats Fails!

----

Posted by: JohninMpls | June 9, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Just curious, 506 - does your RHCFF know about your penchant for VORP/W?

Posted by: lowcountry | June 9, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

New post - and almost draft time (yes, that is a double entendre)

Posted by: lowcountry | June 9, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

You guys are killing me.

Posted by: JohninMpls | June 9, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

And I mean "guys" in the gender nonspecific way.

Posted by: JohninMpls | June 9, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse