A Good Day for Baseball Talk

Hi everyone-

We interrupt your regularly scheduled Nats reading for a quick word about two different baseball chats we have going on today at the site. The first one starts in half-an-hour, a trade deadline chat with The Post's National Baseball Writer Dave Sheinin. Click here to submit a question and follow along live.

Then, at 1 p.m. this afternoon roll right over here and pose your best questions for Nats catcher Jesus Flores. No holds barred.

Alright, hope everyone can follow along and toss out some heaters -- and maybe a few soft toss offerings -- for Dave and Jesus while they're at it.

By Cameron Smith  |  July 30, 2009; 10:36 AM ET
 | Tags: Dave Sheinin, Nationals, chats, trade
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Brewers 7, Nats 5
Next: Lineups From Miller Park

Comments

Are we all happy here with this Riggleman quote:

"My first priority," he said, "is that we keep this group together and see what we can do with them."

---------

Yes, that's the right thing for a manager to say. I would be unhappy if Rizzo said it.

Posted by: Section506 | July 30, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

506 has, as is so often the case, summed up my thoughts pretty well. The manager has his job to do, and he's not hoping his roster gets jerked around.

Posted by: Scooter_ | July 30, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

@506: certainly Riggle couldn't say openly "There ain't much anyone can do with this bunch, so let's blow them".

But I think he might be able to send a signal to fans and "upper management" that he's open to changes--and would even welcome--changes, given the record of the club. He could say that without mentioning anyone's name.

Sure, a 4 game streak and a couple of blowouts was fun. But last night showed me that the Nats are the same-old same-old Nats. Riggle's statement to me exhibits the kind of complacent, "we're losing but we're friends in the clubhouse and it's a long season" attitude that Manny was accused of.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 30, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Also, I wanted to comment on how much I like Riggs as a person. He's a real gentleman, I'm proud he's from my part of the world. His wired up session in which he went out of his way to tip his hat to Manny Acta was the definition of a good sport, and, I think, honest.

I certainly hope he does far better than history would suggest.

Posted by: Section506 | July 30, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

@506: I'm sure Riggle is a nice guy. And you know what they say about nice guys...

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 30, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

NatsLady also mentioned that we need to concentrate more on the bullpen as the starters sort themselves out. I've always thought that both would go together, as all relief pitchers -- even the good ones -- are just starters who couldn't hack it. But is this outdated? Even amateur teams are now treating some good pitchers just as relievers. Have roles gotten specialized enough that "reliever" is now a different position? What say the hordes?

Posted by: Scooter_ | July 30, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Hordes should feel free to respond in the new new post.

Posted by: Scooter_ | July 30, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

You'll note, Nats Lady, that I did not commit to supporting him for manager. Only hoped he did well enough to earn the post, which is a sentiment that I am positive everyone around here shares, regardless of the various assessments of its probability.

Posted by: Section506 | July 30, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

@Scooter: I've mentioned before that I think relieving and starting require two very different skill-sets and mind-sets.

A starter needs stamina to last, and the ability to get over a bad pitch or a bad inning and stay in the game. A starter needs multiple pitches and a cunning that doesn't let the opposing roster see all his stuff the first time around.

A reliever can get by with a blazing fastball and maybe a curve or change. A reliever may matchup to only one batter in a tactical situation--and he has to get that one guy. Look at Guitierrez (sp)? in the game yesterday, he came in with men on 2nd and 3rd and got the side out. That was his job.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 30, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

"A reliever needs his adrenalin up for EVERY pitch. Look at Guitierrez (sp)? in the game yesterday, he came in with men on 2nd and 3rd and got the side out. That was his job.

"That's why I didn't mind Manny's tactic of putting relievers in for one inning and then going to the next guy."

I'm missing how you get from Point A to Point B. Your hypothesis seems to suggest that you put them in for one inning, then get a new one to avoid them losing the adrenaline during the half of the inning a relief pitcher has to sit, doesn't it?

Posted by: Section506 | July 30, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I wasn't happy with the quote. It's not about seeing what he can do with these guys for the remainder of the year; it's about making the team better for the long term.

I missed the miked-up portion of the evening but, like 506, I appreciate that Riggleman has given shout-outs to Acta and St. Claire.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 30, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse