Acta Statement

E-mailed at 11:30 am:

Statement From Manny Acta
First, I would like to thank GOD for putting me in this position. I want to thank the Washington Nationals for giving me the opportunity to be a Major League manager. It was a great learning experience, I have no regrets.

As I move forward, I wish the Nationals all the best. I was very fortunate to work with and meet a lot of wonderful people while here.

Last but not least, to the media, thank you for being fair and respectful toward my family and I.

By Alexa Steele  |  July 13, 2009; 12:07 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nats' Letter to Fans
Next: Zimmerman: Players Needed More From Acta

Comments

So how long till you join the Mess in NY, Acta?

Posted by: thisismydcsportsopinion | July 13, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Class. That e-mail shows a lot of class. Maybe it was time for him to go but, it pains me that he handles himself better than Stan does when he talks.

Posted by: soundbloke | July 13, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

He NY may be a mess, but it's going to take them less time to unravel that the Island of Interim Children.

Posted by: soundbloke | July 13, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

A class act. Sorry to see him go but there are valid points for and against the situation. Time will tell where things are headed.

Posted by: BobBarker | July 13, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Yikes grammar. I'll try again:

Hey NY may be a mess, but it's going to take them less time to unravel that than the Island of Interim Children we have here.

Posted by: soundbloke | July 13, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

He is classy and sucks that he couldn't get it done.

I say the angry NJ pitchfork and torch crew now make it's way over to StanK's place next.

Posted by: Section505203 | July 13, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

soundbloke,

It will take less time for the Mets to turn it around, because they actually spend money.

At to those who say "what has it gotten them?"

They are at least in the running for a playoff berth every year, we are just in the running for the 1st overall pick every year. Big difference.

Posted by: Section505203 | July 13, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

"the end result will be all the richer for the early days we've spent together at Nationals Park"

******************************************

Who's all the richer? Who's got my $1,200 for season tickets that I can't give away?
The Lerners are "all the richer." How about offering a refund?

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 13, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

There is no need to rejoice, but this was the right move. Acta will probably be a pretty good manager someday, but this team does not need a manager learning on the job. I think they should go hard after Bobby Valentine this offseason.

As for Rizzo, I think the jury will be out on him until at least the trading deadline. Let's see what kind of team he builds for next year before deciding if he stays or goes.

That said, the time to solidify both the field and general managers will be this offseason.

I wish Manny the best. He's a class act that was just the wrong person for this job.

Posted by: sec307 | July 13, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Coverage,

You could be right when you say Kasten is a slimeball. Your comments are usually on target, after all. I just disagree on this one. I don't like blame to be spread around too far. The blame (pretty much 100 percent of it) rests with MLB's sorry choice of owners IMO. Too many other non-Lerner scapegoats (Stan, Manny, Randy, JimBo) divert attention from where it belongs.

Anyway, my feeling (and that is all it is, a feeling) is that Kasten and the Lerners have a legal agreement for a lenth of time, like five years, after which Kasten's ownership share vests. The Lerners needed Kasten, a respectable baseball man, to get the support of MLB to own the Nats. The Lerners can't fire Kasten, and Kasten can't leave the Nats without leaving his ownership share on the table. My guess is that Kasten is seething more than any of us are, but he can't budge the owners to invest in the club at an MLB level. I'll bet Kasten is marking days off his cell-block wall (OK, it's a very nice cell that any of us would take), until he can get out of Dodge.

Posted by: EdDC | July 13, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

We don't deserve you Manny. Thank you for everything. Now you're on your way to becoming the next Joe Torre, only with the Mets this time. What a pathetic franchise we have here. Best of luck, Manny!

PS

In the distant future, once the Lerners and StanK are gone and we're looking for a manager AGAIN please consider us, we'll love to have you here once more. You'll always be welcomed. Thanks again.

Posted by: big_game_lannan | July 13, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you sec307 on Bobby Valentine.

Posted by: big_game_lannan | July 13, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Until they fix the front office, it doesn't matter much who manages the team on the field. They could get the World's Best Silk Purse Maker, it won't make this roster competitive.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 13, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Riggleman is probably much less than Manny. He is not a solution. Check his record both as a manager and in his role as an "interim" manager.

Posted by: periculum | July 13, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Acta is a great guy and a good coach, but he needed to be tougher to these guys.

The errors and lazy dump play just doesnt cut it. When you play like crap and make stupid mistakes, you get benched....you give someone a shot that will play tough as nails...

Acta didnt do that...I would of yanked Guzman on so many occasions...He has always been a lazy bum and is a waste of skill.

Posted by: SA-Town | July 13, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

This is a sad and frustrating day in what has been a sad and frustrating season.

Posted by: JohninMpls | July 13, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Bring up Foli. He's already on the payroll looks to be a better than fair-to-middlin manager with young players.

Posted by: periculum | July 13, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

If they bring up Foli, that means they fire Riggelman. Since they've already hired a new bench coach.

Posted by: Section506 | July 13, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

And his English is better than yours, too.

***************
Posted by: SA-Town | July 13, 2009 12:56 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 13, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Now the onus is on Mike Rizzo:
2 weeks to the trading deadline to make "good
baseball decisions"

34 days to sign Steven Strasberg to prove that
was not a "bad baseball decision"

Posted by: periculum | July 13, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

That was a classy email from Manny.

Back to this letter! If anyone made it to the end, you would have seen this...
"We know we have a way to go, but the end result will be all the richer for the early days we've spent together at Nationals Park. We are getting better."

Wtf?? I'm so sick and tired of this crap! We aren't following Moses through the desert for 40 years! We're watching baseball. And there is no formula that says you have to suffer through craptastic baseball in order for your team to eventually win. Stop touting a Rays-like rise as an eventuality, b/c it's more likely that we'll end up like the Pirates.

This build-through-the-farm-system plan is based on "drafting better players" and "developing those players." Unlike Moneyball, EVERY OTHER TEAM IN BASEBALL IS DOING THE SAME THING. And why are we supposed to trust that the most dysfunctional MLB management is doing a better job at drafting and developing than everyone else???

Posted by: dclifer97 | July 13, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Riggleman is just an interim manager for a terrible losing team. Gee, I guess that fits? Bowden must have suspected this might happen don't you think?

Trade, trade, trade, bring up most of Syracuse and Foli.

Posted by: periculum | July 13, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Sad day. Actually, I'll echo what JohninMpls said.

Manny is a class act to the end. I hope he finds success with a better franchise.

Posted by: samantha7 | July 13, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I think/hope they'll replace Riggleman over the off-season, but that could also mean replacing other coaches, UH-gain, possibly wholesale.

Since he is interim, I wonder if they'll replace Rizzo, too, and let a new GM hire his own managers and coaches.
Or,there's bound to be some GM opening somewhere else this year--what if Rizzo gets it (assuming they would allow him to interview)?

Change, when you're going the wrong way, is good, but churning your investment is a hallmark of bad management.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 13, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

dclifer97 is right ... but the onus, the accountability, the spotlight is directly on Mike Rizzo, interim GM.

2 weeks to the July 31 trading deadline.
34 days to sign Steven Strasberg ... and this should be done FIRST to prove that the organization is serious about "improving".

Posted by: periculum | July 13, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

"the onus, the accountability, the spotlight"

What does that mean, periculum? I think you're just using words that sound good. Please sketch out for me how each of those words work in real terms.

Posted by: Section506 | July 13, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Riggleman will give Guz better range and turn Dunn and Willingham into ballhawking OFs. He will show Josh Bard how to gun down runners. And the Nats will be the ones stealing bases, as Riggleman demands and gets speed on the basepaths. He will insist that his relief pitchers chalk up those 1-2-3 innings, and not tolerate anything less. I hope Manny watches and learns from the transformation he will see in his former players.

Posted by: EdDC | July 13, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Indeed, Manny's statement showed a lot of class. I've said it before: He seems to be decent person. It is not out of dislike for him that I've been among those arguing for his dismissal. Managers don't make that much difference, but they have to be accountable at some point for the results. Manny got better-than-expected results from a rag-tag bunch in '07, but he hasn't the past two seasons. So he had to go.

Posted by: nats24 | July 13, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Man, I can't imagine what this blog will look like if/when they don't sign Strasburg.

Holy Crap!

Better get it done Uncle Teddy or the players will just introduce themselves personally before every game to the fans at Nats Park. After all it shouldn't take long with 13 people in attendance.

Posted by: Section505203 | July 13, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dclifer97 | July 13, 2009 1:09 PM

Yes, exactly. One player in BA's top fifty and he's only in low A? Flame outs by just about every position player when they get to High A? Early returns on the "baseball players" (as opposed to "toolsy players") that Rizzo drafted are great either. This is my #1 concern. They are not adding talent to the system through the draft and not developing when they get it. It makes me wonder what they are investing in when it comes to FO, scouts, and minor league instructors. They aren't getting it done right now. Who the big league manager might be is really a pretty small part of it.

#4

Posted by: db423 | July 13, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Has Vegas posted the over/under on how many games until the new Nationals manger argues with the umps and shows some emotion?

Posted by: NeedANatsFix | July 13, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

aren't great

#4

Posted by: db423 | July 13, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I'll echo Samantha's echoing of what JiM said.

---

Sad day. Actually, I'll echo what JohninMpls said.

Posted by: samantha7 | July 13, 2009 1:10 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 13, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

"I'd like to extend a special thank you to the fans for being so patient and supportive over the last two and a half years."

Thats rich! Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Hopefully Riggleman will at least show some emotion when this craptastic team Jim Bowden cobbled together loses another 50 games.

Posted by: vo_37 | July 13, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Manny writes:

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Sorry, Manny, but it's

"respectful toward my family and me."

If you don't clear up your grammar, you'll get run outta town on a ra. . . .

Oooops.

And for what it's worth, Manny -- you, who were always cool and courteous in our meetings and interactions -- I hope that you don't end up in New York. The town seems like "a challenge" and "an opportunity," but it's also a meat grinder, and you're too good to either steel yourself [and lose your humanity and humility], or to get ground up.

I hope you land with the right team and have a run like Bobby Cox has had.

But if you do -- don't use the hook quite so early. They're not "fragile young arms," they're "explosive, resilient young arms."

Well, in the case of some Nats pitchers, strike "explosive". . . .

And I guess Shawn Hill and Jason weren't "resilient.

Never mind

Vaya con dios, Manolo!

Posted by: mistermuleboy | July 13, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I would love to Riggleman get tossed very early in the fist game back on Thursday. He could do a Gene Hackman and tell the ump to kick him out of the game or he will start screaming like a lunatic.

And then when he's all worked up on his way into the clubhouse he can punch Kearns in the mouth while he's sitting on the bench and say "that's for hitting less than .200!"

Posted by: Section505203 | July 13, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

What are you guys drinking the kool-aid already??? Riggleman is not our savior. He won't do a much better job than Manny. I'll be the first to say that Manny could've done a few things differently, but to say that all of a sudden Riggleman will turn things around is crazy talk. It's not that easy. It'll be tough to get a better man for the job than Manny. He's just too young right now. He'll be a winner eventually.

Enough bashing Manny. How about just concentrating on who could really be our next skipper?

Posted by: big_game_lannan | July 13, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

New posts.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 13, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

From one manager with a losing record to another manager with a losing record. Gee, smart move, LerKastens.

Posted by: Juan-John | July 13, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I came across an online community for individual seeking interracial love. It is --Mixedmingle dot com--- All singles there are seeking interracial relationships and sports friends. Interracial is not a problem here, but a great merit to cherish!

Posted by: sallyworking2006 | July 13, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse