Catching Up With Jesus Flores

Below, I've got a little catch-up Q&A with injured catcher Jesus Flores, who's been on the disabled list since May 15 because of a stress fracture in a bone in his right shoulder. Flores is still hanging around the team, though he's not able to do much right now. Since you last saw Flores on the diamond, his upper body is weaker, his vocabulary is larger (a lot larger), and his sanity -- on account of stir-craziness -- is close to gone. But you can read more below. In three weeks, Flores will receive an MRI -- "just to show us if [the shoulder] has complete healed or not," acting GM Mike Rizzo said. If the shoulder is OK, Flores will start rehabbing.

Meantime, here's your quick-hit NatsTown news update.

* J.D. Martin is sticking in the rotation, at least for now. He'll get at least another start, but the team hopes that his performance can dictate a longer stay.

* Lastings Milledge has been named the International League's batter of the week.

* The Strasburg posturing begins. And indeed, anything said about chances for or against Strasburg's signing, at least until, say, August 10, shouldn't be taken with much weight.

OK, Flores --

Q: So how is your shoulder feeling?

I'm feeling much better. Much better. I'm hanging with this stuff, it's kind of boring for me. I want to play, and it's hard for me to be just walking around the clubhouse when I can't be out there to be part of the team on the field. But one more month, so let's wait until then. I can get over this and start my rehab.

Q: OK, what do you actually do every day?

Oh man. [Rolls eyes.] I'm going crazy. I mean, I don't know what to do. I just come here to the stadium to try to spend time watching the game, talking to the guys, going back home. Like, thinking about it every day. It's tough. It's tough. I don't really like it, because I don't feel like I'm doing anything.

Q: What time do you get to the stadium most days?

As early as I can. When I am at my apartment, that's when I start thinking too much, and you feel so frustrated about the injury. So I just like to come here around 1 p.m. When I start feeling people around me, it's kind of, you know, more relaxing. And I can forget about the injury.

Q: Are you able to do any sort of rehab right now?

No no no. I have to keep be giving time to the bone.

Q: So no weightlifting or anything?

Nothing upper body. Just legs, working my legs, doing my cardio stuff, but that's the only thing I can do.

Q: And you do that every day at the stadium?

Yeah.

Q: Do you feel like you've lost a lot of upper body muscle?

I don't really know, but yeah, we used to work upper body, then lower body, different days. But right now my upper body feels like -- you know, like, losing all the weight that I used to have. So, when I start doing my rehab again, I'm going to work hard.

Q: Have you been studying your English? It's really good right now.

Yes. I actually have this here. [He reaches into his locker, pulls out a book, "Conversando En Ingles."] Yes, Conversation in English, this is my book. It's talking in English. So, learning how to pronounce the right words, and that's what I've been doing all this time. I'm paying a tutor to, you know, give me a personal class. I do that in the mornings, two times a week. That's what I'm doing, too.

Q: Your English, man. I can't get over how improved it is.

Yeah, I know. I'm an American now, man.

Q: So is it difficult to come here every day and watch the team lose and not be able to help?

Yes. So tough. Like, I can't do anything. Not even talk to the guys, because they are on the field, not me. They are the only ones who can control what they are doing.

Q: One month until you can start rehabbing?

Yes, all my body, yes. My arms, my shoulders. Yeah, I will build up my shoulder to get it strong.

Q: So a month from now do you think you'll go down to Florida?

I think they're going to send me to Florida, because that's what they usually do -- send players down there to do the right rehab. I've just got to wait.

Q: And try to be ready for spring training of next year?

Yeah, and try to play winter ball, too. Yeah. I would like to play winter ball in Venezuela, and that way I can spend some baseball time before I come to the spring training.

Q: You've got to be itching for that, man.

Oh yeah. Because there's no way I'm just going to go home and sit down, relax and watch TV when I can be playing.

By Chico Harlan  |  July 21, 2009; 6:34 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Reminder -- Nats Park Twitter Is Ongoing
Next: Nats 4, Mets 0

Comments

Let me be the first to say get well and dont rush back

Posted by: jpt1002 | July 21, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

"Two baseball players are talking philiosophy, and one says, you know Pascal says that it's worth believing in God - when you die and if He's there, you go to heaven, if He's not there you are no worse off -- the other shakes his head and says well, I don't know, I knew Camilo, and he never would have said such a thing...

Posted by: Traveler8 | July 21, 2009"

I prefer the great Clemente; and so apropos relative to this latest post: "Beisball been veddy, veddy good to me."

Posted by: periculum | July 21, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

If they draft that "catcher" next year wouldn't you move him to first base ... and Marerro to third?

Posted by: periculum | July 21, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

"A blog is an odd place from which to pen an anti-technology manifesto. Strictly speaking, shouldn't you be in a log cabin somewhere sans Internet access?

Just sayin'.

Posted by: joebleux | July 21, 2009"

Luddites: you can't live with em' and you can't live without 'em.

Posted by: periculum | July 21, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Prediction for tonight; this one is just perfect,
from the "twits" at the park:

"Crime scene tape across lot and k9 unit just arrived. Did I mention the smell??"

Posted by: periculum | July 21, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

According to Gammons, "[Indians GM Mark] Shapiro wants a major league-ready young starter that can go into the second or third hole in the rotation." In addition, Gammons said, "He wants a couple of other young players."

__________________________________________________

That's what every one of Rizzo's conversations with every team in both leagues is likely about.

Posted by: periculum | July 21, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Great stuff, Chico. Thanks. (Maybe Flores can fix you up with a Conversation in Spanish book, as you'd once expressed on here a desire to learn it. ;-))

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 21, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

And attaboy, Jesus!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 21, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

TWEET: I tawt I saw a putty cat ... I did, I did see a putty cat!

Posted by: periculum | July 21, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Great catch Nyger. I still can't believe we got this guy for Milledge.

Posted by: chris88 | July 21, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

4 hits NO WALKS: like it not folks THAT IS DRAMATIC improvement from pre-All Star break. I don't think its due to replacing Acta but I do think a message was sent to the young pitchers ... they are indeed at Fort Apache and the natives definitely are restless.

Posted by: periculum | July 21, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

The guy who made a great catch always comes up to bat. Gotta love that.

Posted by: Ringle | July 21, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

John Lannan's home ERA is now a cool 2.25. Not too shabby. That guy is the definition of 'bright spot'

Posted by: Kev29 | July 21, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

STILL NO WALKS ... from LAST NIGHT!?

Posted by: periculum | July 21, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Bases juiced, only one out. Have to get one home at least.

Posted by: Section220 | July 21, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

You'd think ... I am going to just be happy with the fact that pitching isn't giving out walks. They can't control the fielding but they can try to control that.

Posted by: periculum | July 21, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Attaboy, Nieves.

Posted by: Section220 | July 21, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Thank gudness it wasn't to Guzman's left....

Posted by: VelocityAtrocity | July 21, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Guzman never walks ... why is he batting second instead of Alberto?

Posted by: periculum | July 21, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Ok, what's this? Run support for Lannan? is this, like, illegal?

Posted by: swang30 | July 21, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

4-0 ... what a difference! Noting that the Mets have walked 5. It DOES appear to make a difference for this team when Nats pitchers don't walk batters and the opposing team's pitcher does.

Posted by: periculum | July 21, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Periculum - it's a fair point, and I appreciate the enthusiasm, but, I'm not going to lie to you, you keep pointing it out and I'm going to start to root for Lannan to walk someone.

Posted by: Section220 | July 21, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

@periculum
I am sure Baltova would be happy if we bring ol' Milky Toast Cal Ripken and his brother Billy out of retirement to play for the Nats. That might turn this losing streak around.
-----------
I'm not Baltova, but if either of them is the manager next year, I'd be jumping for joy. Billy may not have been that great of a player, but as a manager/coach, he's been pretty good. And Cal is, well, Cal.

Posted by: swang30 | July 21, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

220

periculum is like the annoying kid who kicks your seat the whole time during a flight. the one who always wants people to notice him but when he is noticed has nothing of any real value to say. he's seized on his NO WALKS screed because his boy JD Meatball got lit up last night but didn't walk anybody. Giving up eight hits in four innings, he didn't need to put any more runners on base.

Posted by: surly_w | July 21, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Surly - believe me, I follow you. Unless my math is wrong, eight hits in four innings is a 2.0 WHIP. Which, again, unless my math is wrong, is, like, not so good.

That said, he really did seem to have the yips last night (for the, like, four innings that I watched before I surrendered).

Posted by: Section220 | July 21, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

I think Billy Ripken would be an interesting choice as a manager. As for Cal, if he gets involved with a franchise, it would be in a Kasten-like role, front office with a piece of ownership.

BTW, I met a buddy for dinner at a bar in Northern Virginia. Right around game time, they switched all of the sets...to the O's-Yankees game. Stan, that is what we would call "not a good sign."

Finally, I'm not sure we deserve John Lannan, but thank goodness he's here.

Posted by: baltova1 | July 21, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Lannan. Ace? No. Stopper? Yeah. What a great job.

Posted by: Section220 | July 21, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Wow. AWESOME job by Johnny L.!!!!!
That was a treat to watch, and 4 runs on only 4 friggin' hits for our Nats? Really odd line indeed...

Posted by: HotNats | July 21, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Bang! Zoom! Thank you, Jesus. A reminder from the baseball deities on why it's worthwhile to watch. You never know what might happen.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 21, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

I like Lannan.

Posted by: VelocityAtrocity | July 21, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

thank you Lannan! 106 pitch complete game shutout.

Posted by: swang30 | July 21, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

now THAT'S what we're talkin' about...and less than 2 1/2 hours as well.

Posted by: surly_w | July 21, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Good point, natsfan1a1. Now I feel guilty for bailing out last night! But I'm glad I tuned right back in. And I will be back tomorrow. Ladies and gentlemen, the bar is open.

Posted by: Section220 | July 21, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, 220, Maker's Mark Gold Seal, please. Hold the 'Lox.

Posted by: HotNats | July 21, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

You know what surly_w, NO WALKS. Shove that where you can't see the light ... because that is exactly what this pitching staff is trying to do. To guys like you dude. Eat it, like it, chew carefully and swallow.

Posted by: periculum | July 21, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

2 GAMES: NO WALKS. Now, that is the kind of streak you look for ...

Posted by: periculum | July 21, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Two classy Lannan moments this week (besides the complete game shutout!).

Pic in the Post showing Julian Tavares returning to the dugout his last day, pouring water over his head, failed again, and John in the background looking concerned for him.

Scene at tonight's game, John stepping off the mound at the end of the game and giving Riggleman the game ball for his first Senators win! (Yeah, I know. He was a Senators fan. Enough with saving some print space and breath by calling this team "Nats"! It's giving the team a bad bad karma!!!)

Posted by: poncedeleroy | July 21, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Note that the NO WALKS 2.0 WHIP made a "W", instead of an "L".

Posted by: periculum | July 21, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

BTW, the Mets pitcher only allowed 4 hits ... but 6 walks and he even had an HBP. Sure looks to me like that makes a difference but you know guys like surly_w are SOOOOOO much more "edumucated" and know soooooo much more about baseball ... well I must be wrong ... NOT!?

Surly_w = "big time anti-Nats Orioles fans loser".

Posted by: periculum | July 21, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

swang30,

check the stats.

compare: number of wins / losses and world series
rings:

1. When Frank Robinson played for the Orioles
vs.
2. When Cal Ripken Jr, his father, and brother
were with the Orioles.

Let me know who you think is better?

Posted by: periculum | July 21, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

"Wow, Great catch Nyger. I still can't believe we got this guy for Milledge.

Posted by: chris88 | July 21, 2009"

Milledge does have the potential to be better. He just doesn't want to put out the effort to prove it ... as Nyjer did and does.

Posted by: periculum | July 21, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

"Finally, I'm not sure we deserve John Lannan, but thank goodness he's here.

Posted by: baltova1 | July 21, 2009"

I think we deserve John Lannan. I am glad he and the pitching staff are rising to the occasion to POKE you all in the eye!

Posted by: periculum | July 21, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Gee Peri, your real smart there. Walking guys is not a good thing? Really?

I think my 6 year old daughter knows that.

Once again, just because you bloviate every 30 seconds with post after post after post doesn't make you Sparky Anderson.

The Nats won. Lannan pitched great. Enjoy. Spare us all the arrogance.

Posted by: Section505203 | July 21, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Wow, a (less than perfect) CG by Lannan, but i'll take it! I'm with periculum about the importance of walks, but when you go so over the top, I started leaning with some others hoping Lannan would throw one just to shut you up!

One of my favorite monikers on this blog is "ihatewalks" -- whatever happened to that guy?

So, coming into tonight, we literally had the stars aligned: Lannan pitching, Perez pitching, perfect night weather wise, and a (nearly) regular line up (sans NJ). Coming in, a good night for the Nats to put things together and finally get a W.

I was worried that an NJ absence would allow some errors at 1B to reduce our opportunity, but Dunn did pretty good over there! I'm not totally sold that Dunn at first is the answer, but if we can get something for NJ, I'd rather see Dunn at 1B than in LF...

Posted by: mo_dc | July 21, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Woohoo Nats! Congrats Lannan!!

Posted by: rachel216 | July 21, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mo_dc | July 21, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

[CLOSER] watch: Storen 2 IP, 3 strike outs NO WALKS, S 1 in Potomac.

Posted by: periculum | July 21, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

2 GAMES NO WALKS is an improvement whether you stubborn reprobates want to admit or not.

Posted by: periculum | July 21, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Keep up the NO WALKS streak and the "W"'s will come, fast and furious.

Like a wonderful sunset over the ocean the "number of the beast" has passed: 27 wins 66 losses.

Posted by: periculum | July 21, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

What is with this ESPN report that the Nats are NOT likely to sign Strasburg ???

Posted by: CBinDC | July 21, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

"One more thing: anyone else relieved that no Nats bullpen came into play tonight? No comments on that tonight?

Posted by: mo_dc | July 21, 2009"

It depends. If its Villone yes. Anyone else, no. They were stellar last night. Looks like they are on a mission ... well, at least one can hope.

Posted by: periculum | July 21, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm only 8 innings through the DVR tonight, but a couple more things occur to me:

1. Imagine if teams didn't do the shift on Dunn -- the guy would have a .500 OBP (and still have 200 SOs/yr).

2. WAY fewer posts tonight. Do you all think periuculum drove them away like he's likely to do to me, despite his infrequent excellent comments? I'm thinking periculum should be on the Austin Kearns plan: shoot for a .200 average -- just 1 out of 5 posts are "a hit." We can't DFA you, like we want to DFA Kearns, but he's trying to improve... you can too!

3. Jesus (Flores, not C...hrist or ...olome) -- best thing you can do for your long-term career is to use this time to improve your English. I'm glad you've been working on it, but seriously, as someone who has learned 5 languages in the past 10 years, two mornings a week is a good start, but could be much more. Sounds like some good progress, but you can afford to have someone with you all the time to only converse in Ingles. Do it. You'll be grateful for it when you're giving all those interviews with media and non-profits that keep you in lineups for the next 10 years...

Posted by: mo_dc | July 21, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

(now that i've watched the whole game)

I haven't seen info on this awhile -- but sure Lannan is 7-7 now (he'd be much better with better bullpen help, obviously). I'm curious, how many of the Nats wins have come during his starts? Some of you have this info off the top of your heads!

And, all those groundball outs, with some solid defense, is a good recipe for success!

Posted by: mo_dc | July 21, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

'2. WAY fewer posts tonight. Do you all think periuculum drove them away like he's likely to do to me, despite his infrequent excellent comments?"

NO WALKS STREAK = 2 games. The New Age types claim that if you visualize something, believe it will become your reality.

I can't make them win .. but mebbe with no walks they can handle that part ... :)

Posted by: periculum | July 21, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

And by the way mo_dc: they are mostly off "tweeting". Follow the link from the previous post for their commentary.

Posted by: periculum | July 21, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

all in favor of banning pericumoron.....

Posted by: surly_w | July 21, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

"all in favor of banning pericumoron.....

Posted by: surly_w | July 21, 2009"

More surly spew from some flounder.

Posted by: periculum | July 21, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Please to notice

This page scrolls

No one needs to

Feed the trolls.

TwitterShave

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 21, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Don't feel guilty, Sec. 220. I only tuned in the game in the third inning myself (couldn't stay away).

I was also hoping that they wouldn't go to the 'pen.

Acta studied English as a player and was known to tutor other players in the language. Perhaps he was an inspiration to Flores. (And I believe that you are referring to what is sometimes called a "living dictionary," mo_dc).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 21, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Well done, sec3.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 21, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Flores working on his English? Here's hoping he's not reading NJ.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 21, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Great win for the Nats! And Lannan! On a side note: Can we all just boycott Periculum? Not respond to his questions or comments? I am really tired of his name-calling and mud slinging. Just ignore him!

Posted by: NickfromGermantown | July 21, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Best "tweet" of the night has to go to:

Section138: My wife just admitted she'd give "serious consideration" to charging the mound if Wil got hit by a pitch. Ah.... love.

Posted by: periculum | July 21, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

"Can we all just boycott Periculum? Not respond to his questions or comments? I am really tired of his name-calling and mud slinging. Just ignore him!"

"all in favor of banning pericumoron....."
-- surly_w

Last I looked I didn't post the above ... so if you ban me than I suppose you must ban surly_w, washedout (same as 505203 in spite of his protests) and a host of others who seem more intent on "name calling"?

Last time I studied the "Anglo-ish" dictionary stating NO WALKS was not name calling ...

Seems like NickfromGermantown is just another handle-change just for the purpose of creating more drama ... :)

Posted by: periculum | July 21, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Last words for today:

2 GAMES: NO WALKS.

sleep tight don't let the bed bugs bite.

bye bye.

Posted by: periculum | July 21, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Winning is so much nicer than losing.

Here's to Willie's mom, may she stay in good health so he can sleep nights.

Here's to Nyjer Morgan, who is the most fun to watch. Wow. Just. Wow.

Here's to Guzzie, for paying attention.

Here's to Nieves, for taking such good care of John Lannon.

Here's to some timely hitting, including, I tot I taw a sacfly!

Here's to John Lannon, who is, in his own words, "not a strikeout pitcher".

Here's to a well-played game. Thanks, Nats.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 21, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

66 posts, 27 of them by periculum.

What's the Earned Rant Average on that?

Posted by: AtomicOvermind | July 21, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Prediction: Nats win tonight. Lannan pitches a gem and Olie is, well, Ollie.
Nats will play some decent D and score some runs.... and then tomorrow they will go back to the usual.

Posted by: chris88 | July 21, 2009 6:55 PM |----------------------------------

Chris88, that was amazing. Sure hope the second part doesn't come true.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 21, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

i'm glad the old man on the blog finally called it quits, by the way how many walks tonight, i didnt get a chance to check. i mean seriously its like arguing with abe simpson except not remotely as funny. I guess all the joy went out when his bff JD Martin got introduced to the big leagues.

Posted by: jpt1002 | July 21, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Oh and baby Jesus, thanks for looking out. if you aint first your LAST

Posted by: jpt1002 | July 21, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Jesus H. Flores, for the love of tweet will you people PLEASE quit it?? I can't stand the guy and I swear you're collectively worse than he is on his worst day. Knock it the [RF] off awreddy, willya please?? Sheesh.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 21, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

66 posts, 27 of them by periculum.

What's the Earned Rant Average on that?

Posted by: AtomicOvermind | July 21, 2009 10:43 PM
__________________________________________________________

And there you have it folks. This has turned into PJ (Peri Journal). He needs another hobby.

And yes, Mo DC, he is driving people away.

Posted by: Section505203 | July 21, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Nice win, and a good CG / "stop" from Lannan tonight. Let's hope Stammen is equal to the challenge tomarrow - Go Nats!

Posted by: BinM | July 21, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

and as a tribute to Jesus Flores's newly acquired language skill, let's all post in English in the new post.

You know who you are...

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 21, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

@ Nats Lady- I hope so too, but realisticly... When I posted that, I was half joking, but with the Nats, they seem to be able to bear down when they they THINK they have a chance to win. That Narrows it down to when Lannan pitches and the opposing pitcher is not very good. That is the only time I would go out on a limb like that in a public forum. That said, I was pretty confident in Lannan. :)

Posted by: chris88 | July 21, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Good grief!!! sorry for the grammar and punctuation in that last post. I am not totally illiterate, I swear. ;)

Posted by: chris88 | July 21, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | July 21, 2009 7:14 PM
------------------------------------------------

Absolutely not. Harper is reputed to have an incredibly strong arm. Totally wasted at 1st. If he's not gonna catch, he needs to move to 3b or RF.

Posted by: fischy | July 21, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse