Detwiler Demoted, Mock To Join Rotation

When the Washington Nationals promoted Ross Detwiler to the big leagues on May 18, pulling him up from Class AA Harrisburg, they expected him to make one or two starts, nothing more. Eventually, the team's front office figured, the 2007 first-round draft pick would need some seasoning in Class AAA.

Detwiler's big league performance, especially initially, extended that timetable from a few starts to a few months. But eventually, the Nationals reached the inevitable conclusion: Detwiler still has more to learn, and he's better off learning it in the minors.

After Sunday's game, the Nationals demoted Detwiler (0-5, 6.40 ERA) to Class AAA Syracuse. To take the left-hander's place in their starting rotation, the Nationals will recall Garrett Mock, who appeared with Washington earlier this season as a reliever. Demoted to Class AAA Syracuse and converted to a starter in late-May, Mock earned his way back with a blistering stretch of dominance. In his last 35 innings with the Chiefs (five starts), Mock has allowed two earned runs, walked three and struck out 28.

During the same, recent span, Detwiler has sputtered, struggling with his mechanics -- especially his release point -- and failing to work deep into games. In his three starts prior to the all-star break, Detwiler pitched a total of 12-1/3 innings. Opponents had a .443 average against him.

That said, Manager Manny Acta emphasized Detwiler's progress, and the benefits of this prolonged major league trial.

"We're extremely happy with the way Detwiler pitched up here," Acta said. "If you would have told us in spring training that this kid was going to start 10 big league games this year we wouldn't believe it. Our plan was to have him develop down there [in the minors] and take a look at him in September. He pitched his way up here. He came up here probably to spot start or maybe have two starts up here, and he pitched his way into 10 starts."

By Chico Harlan  |  July 12, 2009; 6:05 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gonzalez Will Be Getting More Playing Time
Next: Acta Fired As Washington Nationals Manager

Comments

... and yet Manny is still with the team?

Seriously?

Posted by: AWWNats | July 12, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Chico-

Hurry up and chane the title to "Detwiler Demoted, Mock To Join Rotation" before Steinberg logs on and sees this post and adds to his collection of Nats fail when it has nothing to do with the mistake was not on the club, but the Washington Post.

Posted by: djmichaels | July 12, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Did you mean something else?

What happens to Clippard? Is there a corresponding move?

Clippard and Detwiler down, Mock up... is that right?

Posted by: wigi | July 12, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

cant even get a post right, well at least everything Nationals is consistent . . .consistently confusing. it must be contagious

Posted by: jpt1002 | July 12, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jpt1002 | July 12, 2009 6:20 PM

===================

Yeah, as I said earlier though, Steinberg will blame it on the Nats for some reason.

Posted by: djmichaels | July 12, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Detwiler's time in the bigs was a tremendous learning experience. Hopefully he spends the rest of the season in AAA ball, fine tunes his mechanics, does well, and comes back in February a bit wiser.

Posted by: joemktg1 | July 12, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Sorry. Chico Fail. Not Clippard. Detwiler. Mistake has been amended. A total slip, that was. I had just finished typing out quotes from Tyler Clippard when I wrote that blog entry, so his name was on the tip of my tongue. Still, inexcusable.

So yes -- Detwiler is going to Syracuse. Mock is joining the Nats.

Again, my apologies for creating confusion.

Posted by: Chico Harlan | July 12, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Chico-

It's all good, I was just warning you before Bog boy comes over and makes a big deal out of it. You give fair coverage of the team, he always takes a negative angle.

Posted by: djmichaels | July 12, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

I hope Tyler doesn't read this headline...

Posted by: skippy1999 | July 12, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for fixing the headline. Hope Steinberg didn't log in before the correction. LOL!

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 12, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

No Probblemo Chico you have the dreaded disease "Natinalitis" that deadly malady that afflicts reporters and fans alike,the only antidote; a long win streak however that cure is in short supply and requires a specialist who at the present time is unavailable.

Posted by: dargregmag | July 12, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

okay natsochists repeat after me...mock was dominant in triple-a, mock was dominant in triple-a, mock was dominant in triple-a.

Posted by: surly_w | July 12, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

ok, I am willing to roll with the popular(at least here) Pro-Manny opinion that Manny has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do in ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM with the Team's play, or the Team's record, and that it is all, 100% the responsibility of the players, and that the Manager has absolutely no appreciable effect on anything that goes on with a Major League Baseball Team. (so what exactly is a manager responsible for anyway? bah, another question for another time)

I'm willing to suspend my better judgement, and buy into this theory for a moment.

but then I need to ask you Pro-Manny folks out there a few simple questions:

What Manager , or Head Coach, in ANY MAJOR TEAM SPORT would keep his job in any normally-run Organization with a .385 winning percentage over 2.5 seasons?

Regardless of the effect the Manager does or does not have on the team he has been hired to "guide" , what Manager/HC would keep his job after guiding his team to a .294 winning percentage through the first half of a season, immediately following a season in which he guided the team to a .366 winning percentage?

There have been Managers and Head Coaches within the past year who have lost their jobs, with BETTER records, and BETTER winning percentages than Manny does. So if the Manager has absolutely nothing to do with the success or failure of the team, then why is Manny so special that firing him is an unpardonable sin?

Posted by: MrMadison | July 12, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

>... and yet Manny is still with the team?

Seriously?

Oh lawd 26-61 funk beyond the call of suck on it and like it

Posted by: Brue | July 12, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: surly_w | July 12, 2009 6:50 PM

Dominant isn't the word. good god man, have you seen his AAA stats as a starter?

is there a word that means "more dominant than someone who is dominant?"

Posted by: MrMadison | July 12, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

No, he just mentioned that Bob was back from the bathroom, and Bob said that he didn't need to tell the viewers that.

As for today's Dibbleisms, he's lucky that the All-Star break just started, or he might be hearing about his giggling at the idea of female fans throwing pitches in the 'pen at Baseball 101 (snicker - are they going to go out there and throw pitches in their high heels and dresses?). No, Rob. No, they aren't. (rolls eyes)

---

1a - What's this about Bob's bathroom break last night? Did Dibble do a play-by-play? Or is it best left to fade from human memory.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 12, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Also, I didn't want to say this until today's game had ended, but I propose a virtual toast to Nick the Stick for making it to the All-Star break healthy. Here's looking at you, Nick.

I thought that J-Znn did well overall today, except for the HR. Too bad they couldn't have split the yesterday's runs in half and gotten some today. Hits, yes. Runs, not so much. So it goes in Natstown.

Now, we can spend the All-Star Break regrouping and doing things that soothe our souls, or we can try to pick fights with each other and bang our heads against the virtual wall. Personally, I think that I'm going to have some ice cream, then try to find a funny movie on the telly.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 12, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Mr.Madison You are correct not one head coach, manager, or anyone running a sports team would keep their job based on Acta's overall record after almost three years, i think at least for me that is what is so baffling and fustrating he should have been gone after last year, listen he's a nice guy and maybe in a few years he'll get a team where he can be on auto pilot but for now he needs to go.

Posted by: dargregmag | July 12, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

@Mr Madison -- this isn't a direct answer to your questions about Manny's record vis a vis other managers, but the Nationals aren't an abstract Sports Team on Paper (STOP) looking for an abstract manager, outfielder, relief pitcher or whatever. (MORP OWE). If they look to make a change, they need a concrete MORP OWE who (hopefully) is an improvement over the MORP OWE they have, and who (definitely) will make himself available for the resources this non-STOP organization will offer him. Normally, the general manager would find a candidate, but in this non-STOP organization, it's hard to know who would be looking.

Posted by: miseaujeu | July 12, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Thanks 1a! I've gone to Charlie and Dave -they are so great, why not? I really fear that one or both of them will get a better offer from some class organization. Charlie is a St. John's Redman who went to school with Michael Kay. I know Dave was doing games in Pawtucket, but don't know his educational background. His knowledge of the game is prodigious. They make summer magic.

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 12, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

One of Bill James' Big Rules is that Minor League Stats are just as accurate as MLB stats. This may be true for other teams. e.g. Ryan Howard tore it up wherever he was down there. But not the Nats. How many guys have been brought up on hot hitting streaks only to see their bats go Antarctic when they get to LernerLand? Who was the most recent example? Corey Patterson. But there were others. I love Garrett Mock. Personality plus. But if he keeps mowing 'em down when he arrives, I will be - what's more than pleasantly surprised? - shockingly stunned.

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 12, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

>is there a word that means "more dominant than someone who is dominant?"

Posted by: MrMadison

Yeah it's called Manny Acta. Would SOMEbody just show a fragment of a grain of sand worth of sense and toss that ingrate into the bionosphere once and for all? Good god if he's here next week and the rest of the season there won't be ANY season ticket holders left next year. Of all the sick **** I've ever seen, it's this. 26-61?

Posted by: Brue | July 12, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

flynnie2; I can't get Charlie and Dave here in Atlanta unless i purchase the Mlb package via the internet(i think i'm right) so i just watch and listen to Bob and Rob and sometimes cringe.

Posted by: dargregmag | July 12, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

flynnie2: I am with you on that last post. How many times this year have we yo-yo'ed guys back and forth between AAA and the Big Show, and seen many (most) of them not perform at the level they did in the minors.

Maybe Mock has gotten it together from the couple of months he spent in AAA. Maybe he has his motion, timing, release point, has masters his 2 or 3 pitches, and is brimming with confidence. We shall see after the All-Star break. But I am from Missouri (sp) with this team - "Show me", and then I will believe.

Posted by: bigmook | July 12, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Mock come up and pitch really well and stay the rest of the season, and beyond. But until he faces Major League hitters again, and has to work himself out of a jam or two, let's see what he is made of.

Posted by: bigmook | July 12, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Brue

You're right. He should have gone to the bullpen. They've been awesome. Also, no one would call for his head if they blew a game. That would never happen.

Posted by: soundbloke | July 12, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Wise men mock the Man,
A mocked man mocks the mocker:
The Nats Mock baseball.

Posted by: HaikuMan | July 12, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

To correct a comment above: Charlie Slowes graduated from Fordham University, not St. Johns, as did Michael Kay. Charlie's alma-mater is the same as Vin Scully, the infamous Brooklyn & Los Angeles Dodgers Broadcaster.

Posted by: Nats320 | July 12, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

>Brue

You're right.

Posted by: soundbloke

Of course I am you friggin dingbat. The bullpen didn't go 0-for-clutch today, now did they? Score 13. Score nothing. You like the way they have no discipline. None. Not even a trace. They're useless, but they can all actually hit. Imagine that. FIRE THAT CROSS-MEMBERED MUFFIN

Posted by: Brue | July 12, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

You should read up on clutch hitting. And then think about the sample size. Maybe then you can answer how having more discipline would have increased the clutch hitting. I am genuinely curious.

Incidentally, when someone reduces themselves to insults, it is the first sign that they know they are in the wrong. But you probably knew that already.

Posted by: soundbloke | July 12, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

>You should read up on clutch hitting. And then think about the sample size.

I got a three year sample size. Got all that nailed. One of the Top 10- all-time losingest managers. I'd strap him to a rack, spin him around, get a tennis ball machine, and shoot boiled potatoes at him all over him until his extremities turned blue.

Posted by: Brue | July 12, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Vin SCULLY is -- INFAMOUS?

Ha ha, just kidding, SBF. But I think you meant to say famous.

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | July 12, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

You didn't get hugged as a child did you?

Posted by: soundbloke | July 12, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

>You didn't get hugged as a child did you?

Michael, is that you?

Posted by: Brue | July 12, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm just absolutely bamboozled by anyone that would support Manny at this point. He's a nice guy, sure I agree but, after 2.5 years his teams have stunk on ice.

Time to go in a different direction. New owners and President would be better but in the absence of those dunderheads and cheapskates stepping down the manager must go.

59-102 and 26-61 says it all...Manny must go.

Posted by: Section505203 | July 12, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

I agree, it is time to go in a different direction. And the first step in that direction should be collecting a decent group of players and fielding them in the positions they are best at.

Posted by: soundbloke | July 12, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

So was it seriously winning 2 out of 3 against the Yankees that saved Manny? Even including that series, the Nats are 9-16 in their last 25. That's .360 ball, which would be a pace for 104 losses. And since the series against Toronto ended, the Nats are 5-14 in their last 19. That would be on pace for 119 or 120 losses.

Nothing is going to change as long as Manny is around. Time to squeeze the zit and remove the pus.

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | July 12, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

I suppose if you are looking for something positive to take out of the first half, it would be the developement of the starting rotation. I'll give that 3 pom poms. As far as the defense, minus 3 pom poms. The offense was 4 pom poms in April and May, at times approaching 4 and a half pom poms. But they have regressed overall and only merit 2 pom poms at this time. I'll give Rizzo 3 pom poms for now and Acta 1 and a half pom poms. Mcatty gets 2 1/2 pom poms, I'd give him another one but for the bullpen problems. Owners of this franchise rate a minus 1 pom pom, but if they can sign Strasburg, they'll break even with the offseason to improve there numbers. This is based on the Brue 1 thru 5 pom pom system with tweaking from thee.

Posted by: cokedispatch | July 12, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Coke,

Very good. But I think you were a little to liberal with the pom poms.

Posted by: Section505203 | July 12, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Soundbloke,

I love ya, and I'm really trying not to be to big of a wise guy here, because you bring a lot to the discussion.

But please, put down the Kool Aid and slowly back away.

Posted by: Section505203 | July 12, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

You might be right 505, you just might be right. Sometimes I put a little to much sugar in my koolaid and it tends to skew my pom poms.

Posted by: cokedispatch | July 12, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Coke,

I understand, sugar, whiskey, whatever gets us through 26-61.

Posted by: Section505203 | July 12, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

>When he loses with a good group of players, and he might, then we can break out Brue's tennis ball machine.

Willingham .300 Bard .300 Guzman .300 Zimmerman .300 Gonzalez .300 Johnson .300 Dunn 50 rbi

**** Manny Acta. And **** you

Posted by: Brue | July 12, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

...scrolling...scrolling...scrolling...

You're welcome, Flynnie. I agree re. Charlie and Dave.

...scrolling...scrolling...scrolling...

Nope, that's about all there is. 'night.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 12, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

**** Manny Acta. And **** you

Posted by: Brue | July 12, 2009 10:04 PM
_____________________________________________________________

Brue,

Usually, I'm on your side of the argument but, that was completely unecessary.

Dude, seriously.

Posted by: Section505203 | July 12, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

1a,

I understand, 'night, 'night.

Posted by: Section505203 | July 12, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Brue

Check the UZR on that exact same group of players. These pitchers are young. You can't send them out with this behind them. Sure, I enjoy a little cool-aid with my gin but, ou are too clever to be fooled by avg. Guzman has a .319 OBP.

Angry I get. I rage a little myself sometime, not least of all when we announced that there would be no major international signings. But no one in this forum is so desperately stupid as to think that you can have a young pitch-to-contact staff and Dunn AND Willigham in you outfield. Not to mention Villone in your bullpen. Or Guzman guarding the middle of your infield.

Manny may not be up to the task but firing him now would be rearranging the deck-chairs on the titanic.

Pass the gin, and easy on the cool-aid.

Posted by: soundbloke | July 12, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Tore open the package
it was an empty box
no meaning to me
just an empty box

Sender was a woman
sender was a woman

And an empty box
came floating by
an empty box
and I crawled inside

Half in the shadows
half in the husky moonlight

Posted by: Brue | July 12, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Brue,

Time to sign off and go to bed fella.

We can fire Manny and call the Lerners cheap and StanK, well, Stank, tomorrow but, the losing has got you a little, edgy.

'night, 'night big guy.

Posted by: Section505203 | July 12, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Why do we even have a Manager in the first place? What's his job?

Since he can't be held accountable for anything that happens with the team he is being paid to manage, what CAN he be held accountable for?

If we fired every single player on this team over the All Star break, would it then be okay to fire the Manager too?

Posted by: MrMadison | July 12, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

I am with Soundbloke on this. The team was constructed to leak like a sieve in the field. Just the addition of Nyger Morgan has had a tremendous ripple effect. Getting Guzman out of short will create another positive quantam jump in the defense. Playing both Willingham and Dunn in the outfield has to be a very short term option.

I have faith that Rizzo will take the steps needed to put the players on the field who will not embarrass themselves with their fielding. The defenders will be easier to find than the clutch hitters and a real team captain. Then there is always the nagging bullpen question.

Posted by: driley | July 12, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

I'll buy your "replace the players first and see if Manny wins" theory.

HOWEVER:

in the NL we are:

8th in runs
7th in Hits
10th in HRs
7th in Batting Average
2nd in On Base Percentage
9th in Slugging Percentage
5th in OPS
9th in Total Bases
4th in GIDP (4th highest that is)

Dead Last in every pitching Category except HRs against. literally. dead last in every single one.

*Most* of the prime offenders in our pitching staff that lead to our pitching rankings are gone now. with the Offense we have as indicated above, there should not be any further excuses for Manny.

You and others say we need to replace the bad players, and don't blame Manny because the pitchers were bad.

I say for the most part, we have. Cabrera. Gone. Wells. Gone. Hanrahan. Gone. Colome. Gone. Tavarez is next on the chopping block.

We've got adequate defense in CF now, which makes up for having Dunn and Willingham in Left and Right. Morgan can cover the ground well enough to compensate for them.

all the excuses for Manny are being taken care of. There's no feasible excuse for why this team should play the 2nd half of this season like the 26-61 team they were in the first half.

The 2nd half of this season is put up or shut up time for both Manny and his Nats Journal Mannyphiles.

His leash should be very, very short. In any normal organization, he'd have been fired 2 months ago.

If he can't turn this ship around with the team we have now, he needs to go. period. If this team comes out after the All-Star break playing the same way they did before, then something more has to change, and it isn't just the players. I don't care how nice of a guy Manny is off the field.

You say firing Manny is re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic. frequently used analogy on this board.

here is my own analogy.

I say You can swap out the Waiters all you want, but if the Chef can't cook, then the food is going to suck.

Changing the Culture doesn't start with changing the players. It starts with changing the people in charge.

Posted by: MrMadison | July 12, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

not to mention that this team was in Manny's own words "The Best Team I've ever had as a Nats Manager".

yet they are playing WORSE and have a WORSE record than any team that Manny has managed.

something has to change, and we've been swapping out players all season. eventually someone is going to have to have the nerve to hold the Almighty Manny accountable for doing whatever he's being paid to do. maybe one of the Mannyphiles can fill us in on what exactly that is.

Posted by: MrMadison | July 12, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Mr. M,

You forgot the fact that every coach on the 2008 team is gone and the GM of the 2008 team...gone. The only person left with the exception of the cheapskate owners and the used car salesman president is...Manny. If by August 1st this team hasn't improved, see ya!

Posted by: Section505203 | July 12, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Firstly, I would argue with the idea that on good option in centre makes up for the fact that neither of our other outfielders can catch the ball, track the ball or run.

Secondly we have huge hole at short, another key defensive position.

Also, what was Manny supposed to say? "This team sucks and for some reason my GM keeps trading for left fielders who can't field his position, and strike out too much."

But yes, with a few tweaks, we can start expecting results or roll ahead or two.

Posted by: soundbloke | July 12, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Back to Detwiler. Does anyone think he looks like a #1 draft pick? Don't know what Bowden saw in him to make him sixth overall pick in the '07 draft.

Posted by: dlombardo1 | July 12, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

I felt Detwiler was in over his head when he was brought hear in the first place. He did "relatively" well considering where he was last year (Carolina League)! Its like putting a first grader in third grade without the tools of 2nd grade!

I saw Detwiler Pitch last year in the Carolina League Playoffs and Championships! He has a blazing fastball that always sounded like the catcher would need extra padding in his glove! FWAP! Ouch that sounded like it hurt! Although good, he got in trouble at times with Walks.

He really needed to go to AA at the very least this year for more "seasoning". A Sept call up would have been a better situation for his major league development.

I think Pitchers more than almost any position need this seasoning, no matter how good the potential. You don't want to wear a kid's arm out too soon and be a one season wonder (like Steve Stone of the Orioles, years ago).

This isn't a DEMOTION Ross, its an Opportunity to get better without the pressure that exists in the Big Club. Use this Opportunity and you will Shine!

Posted by: CALSGR8 | July 12, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Tell it like it is, JMad. **** these clowns. It's an IQ test, and some people will never reach triple figures no matter how hard you dog their sorry, quaint, incomplete selves. Oh yeah and **** Stan Kasten and everything he stands for. He's almost as overrated as Danny Snyder for christ sake. At least Danny's not so constipated that he can't reach into his pocket for an extra few mill sometimes. 26-61 and that midget has the balls to keep the manager on. Never put a lawyer in charge. Especially when it's not about lawyering.

Posted by: Brue | July 12, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Brue unplugged.

Posted by: Section505203 | July 12, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

To correct a comment above: Charlie Slowes graduated from Fordham University, not St. Johns, as did Michael Kay. Charlie's alma-mater is the same as Vin Scully, the [in]famous Brooklyn & Los Angeles Dodgers Broadcaster.

Posted by: Nats320 | July 12, 2009 9:03 PM ***************************
So they are all Jesuit educated! A guy goes to a Franciscan and asks him to say a novena so that he can win a Lexus in a lottery.

“What’s a Lexus?”

“It’s a luxury car.”

“Saint Francis would see that as violating poverty, so I could never possibly pray for a thing like that!”

So he asks the Dominican, “Would you please say a novena so that I can win a Lexus?”

“What’s a Lexus?”

“A luxury car.”

“Saint Dominic warns against love of such worldly goods. I couldn’t possibly pray for that!”

In desperation he asks a Jesuit, “Please, Father, would you say a novena so that I can win a Lexus?”

“What’s a novena?”

All Jesuits go through thirteen years of training, which include living in impoverished neighborhoods without money, leper colonies, and deportation facilities where people are without hope. Their founder, Ignatius of Loyola, encouraged all to ask God what you really want from the Divine Power.

God, I want the Nats to go 60-15 the rest of the season.

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 12, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Dave Jageler is an American baseball broadcaster. He joined Charlie Slowes in the Washington Nationals radio broadcast booth to call games in 2006.

Prior to joining the Washington Nationals, Jageler was the voice of the of the International League Triple A Pawtucket Red Sox for the 2005 season. He has also called baseball games for the Charlotte Knights and Syracuse Chiefs.

Pawtucket is noted as being a springboard for Major League baseball broadcasters. Jageler joins former Pawtucket announcers Gary Cohen (Mets), Don Orsillo (Red Sox), Dave Flemming (San Francisco Giants), and Andy Freed (Devil Rays) in the Majors.

Jageler is a 1993 graduate of the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University with a degree in Broadcast Journalism.

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 12, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Flynnie,

That was very good and well thought out. But, as a converted Catholic I can tell you, you're screwed.

I had a buddy that played basketball at a small Div II Jesuit school in Syracuse and there were no impoverished neighborhoods anywhere near the college.

You're...make that...we're screwed.

Posted by: Section505203 | July 12, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

502503- "And he could work no miracles in Nazareth, and was astonished at their lack of faith." I heard Ray Knight lose his composure and laugh out loud when Johnny said, "With the pitching changes, and the bats warming up, why couldn't they go 50-25 for the rest of the season?" St. Ignatius, founder of the Jesuits on August 15, 1534, and the compiler of the Spiritual Exercises, was described by Pope Benedict XVI as being above all a man of God, who gave the first place of his life to God, and a man of profound prayer. One of the Exercises has you sit in a graveyard, contemplating your life's end. How will you want to have spent the time given to you? I will have spent 3-4 hours a day, the equivalent of 3 months work, listening to the Nats. Please, Lord, 60-15!

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 12, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Detwiler gave a really good explanation of the difference between AAA and here. "The hitters are better. They fight off your best out-pitch. And you have to keep throwing."

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 13, 2009 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Flynnie,

I believe in God and Mary and the power of prayer but, even those two mixed in with some serious down on your knees sign of the cross prayer couldn't help the Nats at this point.

100 loses is our cross to bare...so to speak.

And may God have mercy on my soul for my sacrilege.

Posted by: Section505203 | July 13, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

As just seen on SportsCenter, ESPN Deportes has just reported that Manny Acta has been fired.

Posted by: ChrisinSS | July 13, 2009 1:11 AM | Report abuse

this is making the rounds on Twitter:

@mlbCoz Reports are that Manny Acta has been fired

@MLBcoz is Noah Cozlov, an On-Air Host for MLB.com's web shows.

Posted by: MrMadison | July 13, 2009 1:16 AM | Report abuse

as much as I am a supporter of the Fire Manny Movement....

this couldn't wait until the morning?

Posted by: MrMadison | July 13, 2009 1:19 AM | Report abuse

Acta says he's been fired
Comment Email Print Share
ESPN.com news services

Manny Acta told ESPNdeportes.com on Sunday night that he has been fired as manager of the Washington Nationals.

The Nationals were blanked by the Houston Astros on Sunday 5-0 to go into the All-Star break with the worst record in the league at 26-61.

In three seasons at the Washington helm, Acta has posted a 158-252 record. His best season came in his first when the Nats finished 73-89, but they slid to 59-102 last year. Washington was on pace to win only 48 games this season.

Before getting the Nationals job, Acta was the third base coach for the New York Mets.

Posted by: MrMadison | July 13, 2009 1:28 AM | Report abuse

Riggleman means more of the same ... might as well have kept Acta!? Unless they bring Frank Robby back or promote Tim Foli from AAA it seems like a no-op?

Bringing Mock up is not a no-op. Look at the records of Balester and Martis against good teams like the Yankees Scranton Wilkes-Barre and the Bosox AAA Pawtucket. Compare to Mock. Yes indeed, Mr. Mock is definitely ready to join a MLB starting rotation.

Both Detwiler and Martis appear to require more seasoning ... and Syracuse seems like the right place to get that done.

Posted by: periculum | July 13, 2009 1:49 AM | Report abuse

You guys still awake?? I'm hearing Manny got fired? He didn't look good in the post-game interview, kept talking about "humility."

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 13, 2009 1:58 AM | Report abuse

MrMadison--looks like Acta broke it himself. Just another great decision that guy's made.

Posted by: tmp2234 | July 13, 2009 1:59 AM | Report abuse

Detwiler will find some differences in Syracuse. Starting with an outfield that can actually field better than average! The infield behind him will feature guys like Orr, newcomer Morse, Eldred and Bynum. Probably about equivalent to the parent club's infield fielding wise.

Balester won. Still think we'll be seeing he and JD Martin before long in place of Villone and Tavarez. Beimel likely will stay until traded.

Nationals web site now pronouncing Acta fired.

Rizzo has 33 days to sign Steven Strasberg.

Posted by: periculum | July 13, 2009 2:00 AM | Report abuse

On Acta's success against the Yankees ...

Its not Acta ... or the Yankees. In Interleague play they have been better than average. The reason seems as clear as day. The Nats were built by Jim Bo and Rizzo as an American League team. With two excellent DH's in Dunn and Willingham.

Posted by: periculum | July 13, 2009 2:02 AM | Report abuse

Someone please wake up Rosenthal and tell him the news ... and then tell him this does NOT mean he was right all along.
Best of luck to Manny, bummer it didn't work out here, I guess we'll see how much of a difference it makes starting Thursday.

Posted by: mjhoya12 | July 13, 2009 2:06 AM | Report abuse

Rosenthal is still an ass.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 13, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Congrats to Garrett he proved he would do anything the team asked of him and made it back! Ross was put in a bad situation now begins his battle for the 2010 rotation by proving he can win in AAA

Posted by: markfd | July 13, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I came across an online community for individual seeking interracial love. It is --Mixedmingle dot com--- All singles there are seeking interracial relationships and sports friends. Interracial is not a problem here, but a great merit to cherish!

Posted by: sallyworking2006 | July 13, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse