Dmitri Has Injury Setback, Likely Finished As Nat

Dmitri Young's tenure with the Washington Nationals began in 2007 with a career-reviving comeback. Now, his time with team will end, it appears, after his latest comeback attempt was cut short because of injury. Young, 35, who had been on an extended rehab assignment this month with Class AA Harrisburg, tore his left quad in a game on July 18. The injury will end his season and, presumably, his time with the Nationals. Young's current two-year, $10 million contract expires at the end of the year.

Young has since returned home to Fort Lauderdale, Fla., where he is rehabbing and spending time with his children. The first baseman said in a text message on Sunday that he is "preparing myself 4 next year sumwhere."

Young crammed a career's worth of triumphs and setbacks into his three seasons with Washington. Signed off the scrap heap in February 2007, Young parlayed that long-shot chance into an all-star season. He played in 136 games, hit .320, and authored one of the most endearing stories in baseball. He also earned himself a contract the franchise would come to regret.

In the middle of a lackluster 2008, Young lost control of his diabetes, experiencing blurred vision and dizziness. He missed the rest of the year as he fought his disease. This year, though his diabetes wasn't a problem, nagging injuries kept him from the major leagues. He dealt with hip and back problems, only beginning his rehab assignment on June 26. In 10 games with the Senators before his quad injury, Young was hitting .241 with no homers and two RBI.

By Chico Harlan  |  July 26, 2009; 3:52 PM ET
 | Tags: Dmitri Young, Fort Lauderdale, Harrisburg, comeback, quad
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lineups From Nats Park
Next: Finally, a Shining Moment for Kearns

Comments

The danger of a one-pitch closer. Especially one with Doug Siskian walks-to-strikeout ratios.

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 26, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

kearns? kearns? kearns? I CAN"T BELIEVE WHAT I JUST SAW!

Posted by: surly_w | July 26, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Believe it Surly_W! Maybe our luck is heading back to the baseball mean.

Sec 204 Row H Seat 7

Posted by: ehardwick | July 26, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm happy for Kearns. He needed that, in a big way.

Posted by: Section505203 | July 26, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Bravo Kearns! Cdn't happen to a nicer guy! Two series in one week! Nyjer is a jewel.

Posted by: Section109 | July 26, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Good on you Mr. Kearns. I always said he was great.

Sorry to hear about the Meat. Thanks for the memories Meat Hook. When it was fun it was a lot of fun.

Posted by: soundbloke | July 26, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Wow, what a great ending to the game. Congrats to Kearns. Too bad we had to use him though, because Lannan deserves better after another great game.

Morgan's hamstring looked pretty good today, any update?

Posted by: natsfan111 | July 26, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

So, the Nationals' win a series (thank the heavens), but it raises a couple of questions in my mind.
Question #1 - Is it just me, or is McDougal just another version of Cordero as a closer? Bring him in, and he normally puts the tying run on base before ending the inning; this afternoon, he let the tying run score.
Question #2 - Why is RZimm carved in stone as the #3 hitter in this lineup? There are times when he (and the Team) might be better served with him at the #5 or even #6 slot in the lineup.

Posted by: BinM | July 26, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I hope those people who have been beating on Austin Kearns are lucky enough not to get excoriated in front of all their fellow workers when they have hard times. Actually, I take that back, I hope they have to go to Nationals Park and get booed by 20,000. I know they are players who get paid a lot, but treat them like people who are trying their best. Golden Rule!!!

Posted by: WashOut | July 26, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I'll take 10th inning clutch base hit bunts of Morgan over Dmitri, Lastings and Dukes any day.

Oddly enough, one of the few "stand-up" guys that Bowden acquired came through with a walk-off on the same day the last of his Reds cast-offs waddled into the sunset.

Sorry to see you go Dmitri. Loved that smile and that swing.

Looks like the days of high rolling pick-ups of high ceiling misfits are over.

Posted by: nattydread1 | July 26, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

ABM,

Posted by: JayBeee | July 26, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

That may be my fave win this year. I was so happy for Kearns, I almost cried!

Sorry to hear about Dmitri's setback, though I wasn't banking on seeing him at Nats Park this year. Thanks for the memories, Meat Hook, and I hope that you are able to get and keep the diabetes under control for your own sake.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 26, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

I mean, not to pick nits, but it's not hard to "decide" to leave a guy in when he's rolling like Lannan was today. That's not really a managing philosophy or anything, that's just Lannan being Lannan.

Posted by: Section220 | July 26, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

ops forgot about that Cards rain out....4 out of 5 and .363 winning percentage for Rigs....4 out of 11 since Acta was fired. Much better than that since he cut being Acta light a few days back.

Posted by: JayBeee | July 26, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

GOOD LUCK MEAT HOOK!!!!

Da Meat will always be one of my favorites. I hope when he decides to retire he gets involved with Little League, because I can't think of anything more hilarious than Coach Young and Uncle Fick with kids on a diamond.

Posted by: Section506 | July 26, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

The mind boggles, 506!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 26, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Well, with DaMeat removed as an option, I'd think that the Nationals will keep NJohnson for the remainder of 2009. That is, unless someone comes in with a suprise offer. At this point, I think the team is only a "seller" if the opposing offer is overwhelming in its' percieved value.
One more trade worry off of Rizzo's plate, and more time to concentrate on the Strasburg negotiotion.

Posted by: BinM | July 26, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

>That' s 4 out of 5 now. Went to the game. Riggs continues to differentiate his team from Acta. He makes better decisions with the pitching staff. Starters stay in and when the game is on the line you do not see the rote usage like Acta always used.

Posted by: JayBeee

I noticed that after that thrashing he gave them the other night, they've been error-free the last two games>

Posted by: Brue | July 26, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Best of luck to Dmitri. It was a joy to watch him hit. I had hoped to see him back, if only briefly. I still think he is a good candidate for hitting coach...

I'm among those who are thrilled for Austin Kearns. I just hate the ridicule of individual players that goes on in this forum. As a previous poster said, they deserve to be treated like people who are trying their best.

Go, Nats!

Posted by: longhorn64 | July 26, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Very sorry about Dmitri. His was the first personalized jersey I owned. 2007 was a great year for him.

Good on Kearns. I think this may be a "defining moment" for him for this year. Doesn't bring him above the Mendoza line, but he saved the day today, that's for sure.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | July 26, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

This is the sound of Kearns coming down from outer space

Posted by: Brue | July 26, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Nice job Austin, you were OVERdue. Mac blows a save, it happens, why, even the great Mariano Rivera blows one now and again. No no no, I'm not comparing Mac to Mo, but just the same, it happens. Lets take the best out of what happened today and move on to sausageville.

Posted by: cokedispatch | July 26, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Back from game, it was great. Didn't Tweet because
a) it was HOT HOT HOT (and I was in the sun until the 10th inning, finally moved up to the shade)
and
b) sat with a knowlegable baseball guy who posts on one of these blogs and talking to him was more fun than tweeting. :)

Was a well-played game by the Nats, but you have to remember that the Padres, are, well, not a good team. Gaudin pretty much shut down the Nats and I was really wondering where were some of those 13 runs.

Why Lannan was removed and didn't go for the complete game when he had a very low pitch count (80 something) is a good question. I don't think Riggleman was asked that specifically in the post-game,. All he said about the relief was that he thought MacDougal pitched well, except for the one pitch. Grrrr.

--but it was VERY HOT, they wanted to pinch hit for him (though he himself had two singles in the game) and there is a question how many innings do you want him to pitch if you don't want to "shut him down" in August-September.

So, if you were Riggleman, would you have left Lannan in to try for the complete game?

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 26, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

and yes, thanks meathook. I concur that when it was good, it was very good. good luck with your quad and the ongoing fight against diabetes.

Posted by: cokedispatch | July 26, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

"That' s 4 out of 5 now. Went to the game. Riggs continues to differentiate his team from Acta. He makes better decisions with the pitching staff. Starters stay in and when the game is on the line you do not see the rote usage like Acta always used."

JayB, I can't help but notice there are extremely plausible alternate explanations.

For instance, in today's start, Lannan only threw 81 pitches. In a similar situation, when a pinch-hit wouldn't put you in W-land, Acta also would have kept Lannan in -- in fact he did more than once this year.

Riggelman is managing just like Acta, in fact, but with a little more negativity.

And as far as errors, there have been 12 in 11 games, which is nearly the exact same clip as under Acta. Though the last two have been error free, even the Nationals have managed back-to-back error free games plenty of times before this season.

I see no Riggelman difference, but I'm very happy at a great game today.

Posted by: Section506 | July 26, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

No, no, no, 506. That's not how it works. The thing is, it's too small of a sample size, unless the Nats win. In that case, the victory in question shows that Riggleman is the superior manager. Also, it's not constructive to talk about Acta, unless one is comparing him unfavorably to Riggleman. eh, I'm just glad to see some curly w's.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 26, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Nats_Lady: From where we were sitting, it sure looked like Lannan was plumb tuckered out. No, he didn't throw that many pitches, but his pace was really slowing down, and he rapidly dropped down from like 80% strikes (!!!) to under 75%. (Also, remember he got on base twice and was out there in the sun for a while both times.) We thought he was already done in the previous inning, but he saved his bacon with that pickoff.

So yes, I would have hit for Lannan too.

Posted by: Scooter_ | July 26, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

i was at the game as well - not clear to me why Lannan wasn't left in for the 9th. He looked fine and his count was low. And at one point, i think Lannan had two of the three Nats hits (at that point in the game)! The place just deflated when Mac gave up the homer, needing only one out to close it. A lot of people walked out. Also, Nyger rules. that is all.

Posted by: DCguy7 | July 26, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

I know I should lay off Kearns for at least today because he'll undoubtedly disappoint us again soon enough. So congrats to him, glad his first RBI since May was a game winner. (Does anyone know if this is true and when his last one was?) It sure was nice to win today after such a great performance by Lannan.

But here's the nit I want to pick. When you're up by just one run, should you really take out your two best hitters (Dunn and Willingham) for defensive replacements? When you do that, you lose them for an extra inning ballgame where you might need a home run or a big hit to win. Instead, you end up with someone like .....Austin Kearns coming up with two on and two out in the bottom of the 10th. And you have less than a 2 out of 10 chance to win the game. Glad it worked out today, but I think this is a very questionable managerial move. Ok, Dunn is a liability in left, maybe you have to replace him. Kearns for Willingham? Was that really necessary? Riggleman is just plain lucky that it worked out today.

And if this keeps Kearns on the team for the rest of the year, that's a real shame. One game winner simply does not make up for the number of rallies he's killed this year.

Posted by: Section222 | July 26, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

"Does anyone know if this is true and when his last one was?"

May 7, according to Dave

Posted by: Section506 | July 26, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Also, 222, you know you just said the guy with 70 RBI, on pace for over 117 on the year was a liability, right? Do you really think he is going to cost the Nationals 117 runs this year because of his poor defense?

I'm sure what you mean is that X is the number of runs he will cost the Nationals over the average left fielder this season and Y is the number of runs he will add with his bat over the average left fielder and X is greater than Y. But that also just doesn't make any sense at all, I'm sorry.

You might convince me that he ends up adding so few it's practically a wash, but it would take a lot of convincing. The team is far better with Adam Dunn than without.

Posted by: Section506 | July 26, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Thanks 506. When I made this point about Kearns last RBI coming in May after the game on Nats Talk Live on 1500 am, either George or Craig said I was wrong, but I thought I had heard it from a knowledgable Kearns-basher on here. How do you do that kind of research anyway?

Anyway, great to win today. Last night's blowout was a blast too.

Posted by: Section222 | July 26, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

I went back and read the comments about compensating customers for rain-delays, and this one REALLY made me laugh:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Nats Lady,

You are the kind of a customer that the Lerner's love. Show up with a fist full of money and never question anything.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I don't have season tickets, I never go to games before April or in September or whenever it might be even slightly chilly. (Rain and heat are okay, your mileage may vary).

I go to the box office on Thursday or Friday the week of the game and buy $10 tickets (or maybe splurge on $30 tickets if I can get row A.) I park at RFK and use the shuttle, and I bring my own food and water... Because of my work schedule I can go to AT MOST 2 games a week... I take every freebee I can, from the team, from MASN, whatever... I don't drink beer, in fact, I don't drink alcohol at all because I like to pay attention to the game. I don't hang in the tents and spend money before or after the games... I use the free program to keep score.

I'd be really surprised if the Lerners are even breaking even on fans like me.

And if you think I don't question the Lerners----??? Or the management of this team----????

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 26, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

For those who loved Acta, hated to see him go, feel he had no negative effect on the franchise....I understand this is a small sample size....time will tell but I see a different team.

Posted by: JayBeee | July 26, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

>I see no Riggelman difference, but I'm very happy at a great game today.

Posted by: Section506

lol. Is there anything more weird than a Manny Acta fixation? That's like tattooing a bullseye on your forehead. These Acta apologists give me the jeebs.

Posted by: Brue | July 26, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

re: Leaving Lannan in. I don't have an opinion, I was just throwing that out for discussion.

I myself think that a complete game is not the be-all and end-all of every pitcher's life, but I'm sorry he didn't get the win, and glad for Kearns who seems like a nice guy and who is almost certainly a goner from the Nats after this season.

Nyjer rules!

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 26, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

It was fun, 222. I was just wondering this today, actually. For me, between baseball-reference, espn.com, and mlb.com, I can come up with most of the stats I need, but anyone have insight on how radio hosts or TV hosts do it? I know Jack Hicks IMs Charlie during the games do they send little bits of trivia, too?

Posted by: Section506 | July 26, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

@222: When Morgan PH, you could figure he would go to CF, with Harris moving to LF & the pitcher moving to the #4 batting order slot; A standard double-switch. Placing Kearns in RF to replace Willingham goes against logic at that point in the game, imo. Happy it worked out, regardless.

Posted by: BinM | July 26, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

506, you misunderstood me. Dunn is a liability in left. That's obvious. I totally agree with you that he is a huge net plus for the team, not matter how bad he plays the outfield. The question is whether he should be taken out in the late innings for a defensive replacement. I tend to think that Acta, and now Riggleman, do that MUCH too often and too early, especially given how many leads our bullpen blows even with a better defensive outfield behind them. And when they do blow a lead, we need the big bats, and not just Willie Harris, and definitely not Austin Kearns, in the lineup to come back. I was suggesting that maybe you can justify taking Dunn out today for ninth, but not both Dunn and Willingham.

Posted by: Section222 | July 26, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

506, I am SO with you on that.

If they are going to trade an outfielder for pitching prospects, then I think it should be Willingham. I'd be sorry to see him go, and he's really had a tough row to hoe this year with personal issues, and I don't think his defense is as bad as it's reputed to be.

All that said, he and Beimel are probably the best trade bait we have right now. Beimel also it would be nice to keep, but you got Villone and Burnett in there as LH relief. We're not getting anything for Villone, and Burnett is 5 years younger than Beimel.

People have mentioned Harris, but the problem with that, in my mind is, if you trade him that leaves a big hole. In looking at trades you have to look at both what you need and what you can spare, and I don't think we can spare Willie right now.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 26, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Good for Kearns, I don't think he has a place on the team next year, but I don't understand the next to dog him as much as he is on here. That said, I hope his hit is not the difference between the first pick and Bryce Harper and the second pick and whoever else that may be!

Posted by: jfromPG | July 26, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Gotcha, 222. Nats Lady, I don't mind losing Harris for two reasons: 1) He's not going to help the Nationals win the pennant this year because no one can, but if he is flipped for someone to help the Nationals win the pennant another year when someone can, it's a good thing. and 2) Willie deserves a ring.

Is anyone able to locate a 2005 Post Magazine story on opening day at RFK? I would love to find it, if you know.

Posted by: Section506 | July 26, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

506, I like your reasoning, esp. No. 2. Just hate to think we have forgotten our Willie-love because we have Nyjer... But we do have Nyjer.

How did you think Hernandez and Gonzales did? Nothing obvious got missed in the field, but I am still waiting for one or both of them to show me that they are future stars.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 26, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm feeling skeptical on Hernandez, he needs to show some consistency. I see flashes of something good, but we call someone who shows a lot of promise, but never quite puts together consistency "backup."

Gonzales still gets the nod every time at second, I think, just to see what we've got. I take Guzman over either, though with Guzzie around next year, too, I think it's time someone has a chat with him about the second base thing. It's not happening tomorrow, but, y'know...

Posted by: Section506 | July 26, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

> i was at the game as well - not clear to me why Lannan wasn't left in for the 9th.

Just following the plan laid out by Acta before he was fired. Pitch count high, need to get some runs. Never mind that the pitcher he was pulling out had two of the team's four hits already. Get him out of the game on a high note. Pure Acta, even if executed by Riggleman.

Posted by: nunof1 | July 26, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

nonof1: Lannan didn't have a high pitch count. I'm inclined to agree with the observers who felt he was tiring. It was hot, and everyone was up late last night--even though he didn't work, Lannan still had to be present, physically and mentally.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 26, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

ABM,

You may be right but it did not feel that way in the park.....it felt like.....we are going good and we trust Morgan and the Pen to win this game. It did not feel like Acta's moral victory's are more important to real victory's. In the Park you just knew they would win that game. I have been to 25 games or 23 of them Acta games and I know that moral victory feel and it was not that.

Posted by: JayBeee | July 26, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

JayBeee, not sure what you meant by "moral victories", but I also had the feeling in the Park that we were going to win, even when it went to extra innings. There wasn't that sag of "Here we go again." Not sure why, it was intangible...

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 26, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Feelings, shmeelings!

Posted by: Section506 | July 26, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

I loved the outfield of Harris, Morgan and Kearns. So what if you don't bring Dunn up in a tied game--at least you have a chance to protect a close game. Morgan's bunt single to lead off the tenth was just the tonic needed--all of a sudden there is a tripling of pressure on the pitcher. The frustrating at bats award is shared three ways tonight: Gonzales and Hernandez for big, big swings with no results, and Zimmerman for doing absolutely nothing in five attempts.

Posted by: driley | July 26, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

@driley, that is a nice outfield, and, not seeing the future, you didn't know it was going to be a tie game, you are just trying to protect that one-run lead for 3 outs.

You are spot on with your second remark. Those big swings were really bad to watch. Is that Eckstein or lack of coaching in the minors?

Zimm seems to be on an inconsistency streak right now. Big, productive day, then flat. Also, he showed his temper on the 1st and especially the 2nd strikout by heaving his bat and batting helmut. I bet he got a word about that, because the 3rd time he walked off without the histrionics.

Forgot to say I will also miss Da Meat. He was fun to watch and had a great story.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 26, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Moral Victories were what Acta specialized in....he would take out the best pitcher we had going.....in the 6th or 7th inning with a lead or tied just to to build their moral. It is really not debatable that he did this...he was on record many many times and even more loses stating this was his policy.

Posted by: JayBeee | July 26, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

We're gonna need a new Yule Log.

Fare well, Meat. Thanks for one really good season.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 26, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

> I think Lannan was pulled because he was leaving a lot of pitches high in the strike zone towards the end--one of the signs of tiring.

My scorecard has him with 10 fly ball outs and 11 ground ball outs. Plus I think all of the five hits he gave up were fly balls. Not the kind of ratio you want for a guy who pitches to contact. And his first four outs of the game were on fly balls, so he was leaving the ball up from the get go, not just because he was tiring at the end. Even with that, though, I think he doesn't give up a homer in the ninth if left in, since he doesn't throw as hard as MacDougal. If Lannan had surrendered a fly ball, it would have stayed in the park.

Posted by: nunof1 | July 26, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

The Brewers picked up Colome. However, he went to their minor leage affiliate to get back in shape, don't know if that means we will see him or not.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 26, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Sadly, Dmitri never took care of himself always out of shape always endangering his health with unwise decesions concerning his nutrition and diet, anyway i'm going to miss him. Riggleman is a stop gap, i'm still in the tank for Tim Foli, that being said "Riggs dressing down of the team the other night was much needed as a manager you can't tolerate errors and poor play even from this talent challanged squad and as much as i think Kearns is playing poorly i'm happy he got the walk off hit.

Posted by: dargregmag | July 26, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

>Chalk one up for Riggleman making an Acta move, but getting bailed out by Acta's fair-haired boy Kearns.

Posted by: nunof1

Chalk one up for having the balls to come back. Riggo 4-7 and only averaging 3 runs/game.

Posted by: Brue | July 26, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Please stop the Acta bashing - he's gone. Also the Kearns slamming - he won the game today.

Want to poke a finger ? Zimm's three looks at Ks rank right up there. If the ump misses once, you take that chance out of the equation for the rest of the day.

Give a high five to John L. again. He is on top of his game on both sides of the plate and with his glove.

Posted by: navboss | July 26, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

". . . sat with a knowledgable baseball guy who posts on one of these blogs and talking to him was more fun than tweeting. :)"

Aww, Nats_Lady, what a nice thing to say. I enjoyed sitting with a knowledgable baseball gal myself. 8^)

Agreed: a complete game from Lannan would've been fun, but I don't mind saving an inning from him for another day. Had the Nats put more than two runs on the board by that point, pulling him in the ninth wouldn't even have been an issue.

Posted by: Hendo1 | July 26, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Lannan is a stud. Period. End of discussion.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | July 26, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

From the Shawn "Dr. Andrews Will See You Now" Hill file:

The Padres confirmed Tuesday that right-handed pitcher Shawn Hill had elbow reconstruction surgery last week, the second time since 2004 he has had the procedure on his right elbow.

Hill had Tommy John surgery in Birmingham, Ala., where orthopedic surgeon James Andrews performed the procedure. The anticipated recovery time is between 10-14 months.

For those of you scoring at home:

Hill's lifetime career wins: 7
Hill's lifetime Tommy John surgeries: 2

Posted by: jdschulz50 | July 26, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Hendo1, it was WAY more fun than tweeting.

And by the way, her name is India (which I know you will appreciate). I fully intend to write a letter to the Lerners complimenting them on having her as an employee--and I annouce that to confirm to everyone here that I am a total SUCK UP to the Lerners.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 26, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

I think he has one from the 2005 series with the White Sox, no?

---

2) Willie deserves a ring.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 26, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, he does. Thanks, Google!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 26, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

1a, it's okay, then, we can keep him?

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 26, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

We have to ask 506, I guess. We only addressed the second of his two points. Aww, man...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 26, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm just grateful for any small sign of progress made by the Nats.Winning these last two games from the Padres - some offense (at least in Saturday's game), good pitching by our young pitchers, Kearns' GW hit today (although his Nat days are numbered), Morgan continuing to look as if he might be the long-term CF - all is good. Go Nats!

Posted by: steveandflorence | July 26, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 26, 2009 8:42 PM
___________________________________________________________

I have had India in my section as well. She is the best usher in the park.

Always very nice to me an my kids and looks after my Dad as well. And she never lets anyone down the stairs until the at-bat is over.

She is the best!

Posted by: Section505203 | July 26, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

506's first point: "[Willie Harris is] not going to help the Nationals win the pennant this year because no one can, but if he is flipped for someone to help the Nationals win the pennant another year when someone can, it's a good thing."

Agreed. Dammit.

Posted by: Hendo1 | July 26, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

I remember back in 1963 when I was a kid I was SO excited that a Senators team actually won seven games in a row! That team won 56 games all year. I would be very happy for this team to win that many.

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 26, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

And she never lets anyone down the stairs until the at-bat is over.
Posted by: Section505203 | July 26, 2009 9:13 PM
+++++++
I think I'm in love.

Posted by: Scooter_ | July 26, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Hi! I'm so sorry about Dimitri's latest setback. His whole career is probably over, although one never knows. He certainly had a magic season in 2007 and gave the team a real, real lift that year with his presence and production. We are all grateful to him for that, as welll as the part it played in turning his own life around. Thank you, Dimitri Young, and best of everything for you and your family in the future.

Posted by: steveandflorence | July 26, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

I was at the game. Bummed Lannan couldn't get the decision. He certainly deserved it and pitched to contact well. The difference between shutouts and one run games is often the key defensive play. A better right fielder than Willingham may have made the great play to take the double away that scored the run. But the only reason we were in the game was that the Hammer came through again and showed all those Buyers why they should be ringing Rizzo's phone.

Lannan was pulled because we wanted to get one run and defense in the game to win it. Yes, Lannan had a bloop and a line drive hit against the starter, but he wasn't going to be facing the starter in an 8th inning at bat. He was going to be facing a strong Padres reliever and we would have had an out. And if he gets on, we'd end up pinch running for him probably because he doesn't have the speed to put pressure on the defense.

I have no issues with the move to pinch hit with Morgan and take Dunn out. I did not want to see Kearns put in for Willingham, though. Glad it worked out for the Nats, though. Hopefully Kearns gets a couple of starts this week against favorable lefties to see whether he's worth a roster spot for August once we know the status of Willingham, Johnson, Dunn, and Harris after trading deadline.

I've been very hard on Kearns this year, and I was one of those guys who was booing him when he came at bat at the game. I'm mad at the organization for keeping him up here when he's a subMendoza player for so long. I'm also mad at the organization for overvaluing Kearns and undervaluing Langerhans. I'm working on learning to root for players more unconditionally.

I keep feeling that we tend to value a guy's contract and how we've sold him to our fans more than his production in some instances. Guzman is starting to head into this territory, too. I'm glad that Gonzalez is getting some starts and has been productive. I hope that we don't let Guzman's contract block Ian Desmond's progress if he continues to hit .300+ for Syracuse.

So good for Kearns today and let's hope he heats up and contributes down the stretch.

But not so well to give the Padres Bryce Harper. ;-)

Posted by: souldrummer | July 26, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and 506 asked earlier about the little stats that the announcers share during the broadcasts. Last year, my friend and I sat just under the press box. We were also in the last row of our section, which meant we could hear the radio feed being piped into the concourse.

So Guzman got his second hit of the game, and we heard a voice over the press-box PA announcing "That is Guzman's Xth multi-hit game this year, a Nationals record [or something] ...." Seconds later, I heard Slowes on the radio feed saying "And that's Guzman's Xth multi-hit game of the season, a new Nationals record [or something] ...." Neat stuff.

My dad and I were in much the same spot today. From time to time, we heard the Press Box Voice of G-d announcing a pitcher's final line or some such. Couldn't always hear clearly, though. Not sure who has that gig; I assume it's a team employee of some sort.

(I imagine that the TV and radio teams have their own stat people too and do some of their own research, but a lot of it gets fed to them over that speaker in the press box.)

Posted by: Scooter_ | July 26, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

But not so well to give the Padres Bryce Harper. ;-)

Posted by: souldrummer | July 26, 2009 9:21 PM
==============================

Yes, because apparently next year the Padres are getting S. Strasburg. Mr. Strasburg is "concerned about the weather" here in DC--which has to be the single STUPIDEST quote I have read this year.

OK, so we give the guy $20 million signing bonus AND we retrofit the stadium with a retractable roof... Now, how about those waves on the Potomac?

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 26, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

---

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 26, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

The two things that concern you about the Strasburg negotiations is that are front office doesn't have a reputation for aggressiveness and Strasburg may want to sacrifice some money to pitch for San Diego. Although, if he thinks our ownership situation is funny, wait 'til he gets a load of San Diego. They've got to sell the team because the owner's getting a divorce and they've got to liquidate so they can split it 50/50. Yikes!

That was a true AAA lineup there today for San Diego with those 5 subMendoza line players. We may actually be in better shape than the Padres despite our record. The Padres can't be sellers at the deadline because they have nothing to sell. At least we have some saleable assets. Yeah, they've got Peavy and Gonzalez but that's about it. What a mess!

Posted by: souldrummer | July 26, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 26, 2009 10:05 PM "um, Langerhans was not exactly an offensive juggernaut, though he had his moments (Ribs?? In Toronto???). Just saying..."
------------------------------------------
Langerhans in July had a .729 OPS while playing excellent defense for the Mariners after we traded him for Mike Morse.

Kearns has had a .634 OPS in July and had a .358 OPS in June.

I just want the front office to test all options and reward production. We spent a lot of time watching Kip Wells and others stink up the joint before we gave Clippard a hard earned chance. Only injuries have given JD Martin a hard earned chance.

If your expensive, you get every opportunity to fail. If you're cheap you've got to hope for the breaks to go your way.

Posted by: souldrummer | July 26, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Didn't realize that you were talking about this month only, souldrummer. I was thinking of Langerhans' time with our big-league club in the past.

On another note, to 506, not sure whether opening day 2005 coverage you were looking for might be here:

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 26, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

So does Dr. Rotella get any credit for the wins?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 26, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

This talk about pulling Lannan too early and making an "Acta move" in the 9th with the defensive changes is stupid. What Riggleman did is Big League Managing 101. 8th inning, tie game, pitcher batting leadoff, you pinch hit. BTW, it worked and gave the team the lead.

You now have a one-run lead in the ninth. You bring in the closer and your defensive replacements and get the win. You DON'T plan on it failing, which is what you would do by keeping Dunn in the game. You expect it to work.

Riggleman did the right thing and, except for the homer McDougal gave up, it worked. Manny did similar things many times and they didn't always work. That's baseball. I didn't love Manny (sorry to disappoint you, Brue) or hate him and I feel the same about Riggleman. They're irrelevant, like most managers. When the Nats get good pitching, decent fielding and clutch hitting they win. Most teams do.

The reason they don't win more often is they don't have enough talent right now to get consisently good pitching, fielding or hitting. That's why the trades and player signings right now are more important than the games, even a nice win like today.

Posted by: baltova1 | July 26, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the Ribs in Toronto throw back, 1a, very amusing. It also reminds me of the dark days of platooning Langerlogan in centerfield.

And very interesting link, though that's not the one I was remembering. It was interesting to look back. The story I was thinking of was a group effort by five or six reporters (including Mr. Weingarten) that told the story of the first game from several different places, including -- and this is what sparked the memory -- the broadcast booth as Charlie was trying to come up with some signature calls.

Posted by: Section506 | July 26, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

@Scooter: "From time to time, we heard the Press Box Voice of G-d announcing a pitcher's final line or some such. Couldn't always hear clearly, though. Not sure who has that gig; I assume it's a team employee of some sort."

My season seats are in section 313 (right below the pressbox) and I hear the same announcements.

What you are hearing is the official scorekeeper. The announcements you hear are the official scoring decisions, the final pitching lines, etc. (i.e., the box score statistics that are sent to MLB after each game, in accordance with the rule book). He'll also give the press the official announced attendance, temperature, time, and other official information of record having to do with the game.

He is also the person who decides how a play is scored--i.e., was it an error, base hit, etc. He's not looking up old stats; he's announcing (and establishing) the new ones.

That's why I think sections 313-315 are perhaps the best seats in the park for a scorecard geek.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | July 26, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Baltova -- you tell 'em! To secondguess that call or attribute it to Manny-ism is ridiculous! That is the call you MUST make, and while you're doing it, you shake your head that the Nats shouldn't have had to make that decision behind Lannan's effort.

I'm VERY happy for Kearns although and caught him teary-eyed during the post-game interview. It must have felt SO good for him to get the mini-pummels from his mates off the bench. I still don't think he belongs on the roster, because his contract is a harness on the team.

I think he should have been DFA'd a few weeks ago, no one would have picked him up with that contract due the remainder of the season, and then we re-sign him to go work on his swing in the minors. It isn't right for him to pocket his paycheck for his pathetic performance this season.

I do hope he breaks out of his slump (even though I'm convinced he is warning track power that equalled HRs in Cincy or Philly, but outs elsewhere). I expect a DFA after August 1, and perhaps a new contract that allows his visit to the minors, and perhaps a September return IF his swing returns.

Posted by: mo_dc | July 26, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Re: Zimm's poor at-bats, anyone else think he's stepping further away from the plate than usual, or else that teams are on to his leaving the outside part of the plate open? Combined with an ump calling the outside black = obvious target.

The Padres pitchers consistently hit their spot on the black against Zimm, and he couldn't have reached it even if he did swing...

My observations from the telecast... and gotta hand it to the Hammer with the HR that finally put a dent on the board for us.

Posted by: mo_dc | July 26, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Yet another reason why John is "Big Game" Lannan. He pitches a big game almost every time he goes out there. I hope we don't trade him any time soon. He should be a pillar in the rotation for years and years.

Posted by: big_game_lannan | July 26, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, shepdave. My dad and I were in 314 today (maybe I should have waved to you in 313?), largely because I so enjoyed lucking into that section -- hearing the official scorer -- one night last year.

Curious about one thing: you say, "He's not looking up old stats; he's announcing (and establishing) the new ones." Now, one reason I thought he might not be the official scorer per se, I swear I remember him announcing Guzman's Xth multi-hit game [or something], and that didn't sound like something the official scorer would bother himself with. Since you've been there a lot more than I, have you ever noticed another voice tossing out such tidbits, or am I just imagining things, or what? Thoughts on that?

Posted by: Scooter_ | July 26, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

I would like to officially begin the "Hire Joey Cora" campaign. Riggleman is not the answer!!! Check out his link from when the M's almost hired him last off-season to replace Riggs:

Posted by: big_game_lannan | July 26, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Geeze, "he was almost hired by the Mariners" doesn't really roll off the tongue in an HR strategy session, does it?

Posted by: Section506 | July 27, 2009 12:04 AM | Report abuse

From an article on MLB.com regarding Buehrle perfect game:

"Guillen didn't want to take credit for making the defensive switch, but was sure glad the struggling Wise was able to contribute something so meaningful to the team.

"That's our job," Guillen said of making the switch. "The last couple of nights, we never did it because I think we needed Quentin's bat just in case something happened. I asked [bench coach Joey Cora] about it and he said, 'I want to have some more range in the outfield.' That's what we needed to have."

Sounds like Joey knows!!!

HIRE JOEY!!!

Posted by: big_game_lannan | July 27, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

And from a Tribune article:

"White Sox bench coach Joey Cora went out of his way to congratulate Josh Fields on hitting a grand slam Thursday that Mark Buehrle's perfect game overshadowed.

And Fields, despite losing his starting third-base job to Gordon Beckham seven weeks ago, was happy just to play a supporting role."

Sounds like a great guy to me. Has Major League Experience, was part of some great M's teams, has won (White Sox), is a current young bench coach...

HIRE JOEY!!!

Posted by: big_game_lannan | July 27, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Just caught up on tonight's comments. Great stuff. My apologies to those who think the Kearns bashing is too much. But I'm going to keep bashing until he is gone. A total of 102 hits and 49 RBIs in 482 at bats since the beginning of LAST SEASON is just too pathetic for words. I was never a huge fan of Langerhans, but I can guarantee you he would have produced more, much more, if he'd been given a similar chance here. And he plays just as good defense. It's a crying shame that Kearns' Bowden-inflated contract has convinced the front office that they have to stick with him. I'll never understand that. If the guy gets his money anyway, why punish the team and the fans by taking up a spot on bench with him that could be better used by someone else.

My two cents on pulling Lannan after 8 -- it was the right move, and completely different than Acta pulling a guy who is pitching well after 5 or 6 just so he can go out on a good note. He wasn't as sharp in the 8th as he'd been before (witness the five pitch walk), there was no way he was going to get another hit, and you have to try to get the leadoff man on and win the game with your closer.

On another topic, yes, India is the best. Glad she's getting the recognition she deserves. Imagine if all the ushers were as helpful and kind to fans in their sections as she is. Might help us forget about the .300 baseball we've been saddled with.

Posted by: Section222 | July 27, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

More on Joey:

Post-Season Appearances
1993 American League Championship Series
1995 American League Championship Series
1995 American League Divisional Series
1997 American League Divisional Series
1998 American League Championship Series
1998 American League Divisional Series

HIRE JOEY!!!

Posted by: big_game_lannan | July 27, 2009 12:22 AM | Report abuse

Wow, how lucky for Joey to have such a headhunter! Remember, the fish rots from the head down; the manager isn't our biggest issue right now.

Anyway, section506, I have the WaPo Mag you seek. It was not of Opening Day but of a game early in the 2005 season. On the cover was a boy with a baseball looking in wonder at it all. I can meet you in front of Ben's Chili Bowl sometime.

Whither Chico? An impostor filed the gamer; could Cheeks be on a Kearns-inspired bender? Or perhaps he went to Pittsburgh early to see family.

Posted by: paulkp | July 27, 2009 12:50 AM | Report abuse

@ Scooter, yes, (from section 312) the voice of g_d does announce "tidbits" from time to time, that are related to the player's record or franchise statistics.

Posted by: Traveler8 | July 27, 2009 1:12 AM | Report abuse

please get a real beat writer this is ridiculous no one gets real news here, no one gets good analysis here, its just a forum now, i care more about comments than the posts. predictable and pandering at some levels, the posts are worthless. if the post cant get someone who is excited by baseball and dedicated to their job, just stop covering baseball altogether.

Posted by: formerlylove1 | July 27, 2009 1:56 AM | Report abuse

Here's an idea for you: Stop reading them and then you won't get so steamed. Regarding the "Voice of God" in the press box, it is the media relations director or his/her assistant who gets on the press box PA to divulge statistical tid bits and not the official scorer. I'm not even sure that the scorer announced his own scoring as that might be a media relations person as well.

Posted by: MarcJMilzman | July 27, 2009 7:10 AM | Report abuse

As to the big voice from the pressbox, you will sometimes hear two different voices.

(Last time I was up there, their voices were so similar as to be confusing.) Scorer announces what's happening with the game as it occurs, press relations (which is the same outfit that puts out the 6- to 8-page press package every day) has the tidbits, such as streaks and such.

Incidentally, you can get the press packet with these tidbits from nationals.com before every game. Under "News," at the far left, hover to get the pop-up menu and then go to "Press Pass" at the bottom of the list. That's the media relations stuff.

The other voice is the scorer. Also, it won't necessarily be the same person every time.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | July 27, 2009 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Nice win great day for Kearns and a smart move by Rigg ( an Acta move that worked quite well) .
Let's remember two items (1) it was the Padres and (2) Acta never had Nyjer Morgan.
If anyone has been resonsible for the wins it's Nyjer Morgan .

Posted by: kjmoon | July 27, 2009 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Great game yesterday! I loved Nyjer giving the pitcher Burke a really hard time. He couldn't even focus on Willie with him at first. Nyjer really has made a great difference since coming over here. It's really fun watching him play in center field and running on the bases. He just brings a kind of energy and speed this team didn't have before. Rizzo shoould be the permanent general manager now, just based on the Morgan/Burnett trade.

Posted by: rachel216 | July 27, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the dope on the Voice(s), y'all. I'll have new questions in the new post.

Posted by: Scooter_ | July 27, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

kjmoon, I was thinking the same thing last night. Burnett has also performed well for the Nats.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 27, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse