"He's A Kid Who's Had To Scratch And Claw For Everything"

A first-round draft pick eight years ago, J.D. Martin has since endured the full odyssey, seeing just about everything but for a shot at the majors. He injured his arm. He lost his velocity. He re-learned his craft. This offseason, he joined an organization -- the Washington Nationals -- that offered him only a spot in the Class AAA Syracuse rotation. And a spot on the depth chart well behind a half-dozen younger, shinier prospects.

Sunday, Martin's eight-year trial was capped by a reward. Needing a starter to replace left-hander Scott Olsen, bound for the 15-day disabled list with a left lat injury, the Nationals decided to give Martin the chance. They will promote him from Class AAA, and add him to the 40-man roster. Monday -- 2,952 days after signing his first professional contract -- Martin will make his big league debut against the Mets, becoming the fifth rookie to start a game for Washington this year, and by far the most unlikely.

"He's a kid who's had to scratch and claw for everything he got," acting general manager Mike Rizzo said. "He came in here and pitched extremely well in Class AAA, and he deserves an opportunity."

Flushed out of the Cleveland organization in 2008, Martin this season emerged as Syracuse's workhorse, effective with minimal velocity and unwavering control. In 15 starts, he went 8-3 with a 2.66 ERA. He struck out 63, walking only ten. Only once in his last nine starts did he allow more than a single earned run.

"When he got with us, he just located everything," said Steve McCatty, the pitching coach with Syracuse until taking a similar role, in June, with the Nationals. "In the sixth, seventh innings, he'd be at 65 pitches."

Right after the all-star break, Olsen's injury flared up, prompting the team to schedule an appointment Monday with orthopedist James Andrews. Meantime, Rizzo scheduled things out with the Syracuse rotation, contemplating the next move. Though the Chiefs had other candidates to replace Olsen -- Shairon Martis and Collin Balester, especially -- Washington wanted Martin. Thus, Martis started Friday's game for the Chiefs. Balester started Saturday. Martin hasn't started since before the International League all-star break.

"J.D., he's earned it," Rizzo said. "He deserved it. And we brought this guy in, I gave him my word that if he performs he's going to get an opportunity to pitch in the big leagues for us. And he's held up his part of the bargain for me. So I figured I'd have to help out, and I should hold up my end."

* A few additional notes. Earlier, I made reference to the fact that the Nats would have to make another move with their 40-man roster. My math was all wrong. The Nats currently have only 39 players on their 40-man; thus, they'll be able to add Martin without the need for an additional move.

* Cristian Guzman (bunions) is out of the lineup again this afternoon, but interim manager Jim Riggleman said that the odds a bit better than 50-50 that Guzman starts Monday.

By Chico Harlan  |  July 19, 2009; 1:26 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: J.D. Martin To Debut Tomorrow
Next: Tavarez DFA'd; Kensing Returning

Comments

gates open...check
cubs rooters clad in royal blue and red in large numbers...check
home team feels like it's playing a road game...check

just another day at welcome wagon park.

Posted by: surly_w | July 19, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

May Cristian's bunions become the new "Colome's butt"

Posted by: chris88 | July 19, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

guzzie's pride at being moved to sixth probably hurts more than any bunions.

Posted by: surly_w | July 19, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

We can't even get a call at Welcome Wagon Park. Morgan was safe.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 19, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I've got to imagine Bard is going to be the back up catcher next year over Nieves, right?

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | July 19, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Storen promoted to Potomac....

Think he'd K'd 15 of the last 20 hitters he'd faced at Hagerstown.

Posted by: Barney001 | July 19, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Stewart Cink grew up in Florence, Alabama. I imagine he knows Josh Willingham's family. I hope they're friends, and that his win at the British Open is a source of joy to them. Although it's not over, it's Watson is about as done as the Nats with a 4 run lead.

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 19, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 19, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

yes, He's done. It's very dissapointing. At least he is losing to a fellow american and a good guy.

Posted by: chris88 | July 19, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Morgan is the real burgular, stealing at will reminds me of Maury Wills(DC native and fmr.La Dodger).

Posted by: dargregmag | July 19, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

No Wonder the TV networks pay so much to telivise golf and tennis. They can just trap people for 5 or 6 hours. I have the Nats game on Tivo, But I can't stop watching the damn golf!! Same thing happened with the Wimbledon mens final.

Posted by: chris88 | July 19, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

chris - don't even burden yourself with the Nats game. They're pathetic - yet again.

I really think this might be the worst team (season) Ive ever supported in my life. I might have to start brainstorming other contenders

Posted by: Kev29 | July 19, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Well, I hope Martin does better than his mate Mock, because whatever Mock was doing at Syracuse isn't working up here...bonehead error after bonehead error...Now it's Taverez..it's time to start trading and cutting people...

Posted by: bromisky | July 19, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Kev29: I agree and I am 54 years old, grew up in upstate NY, and rooted for the early 60's (and the Amazin Mets of 1969) Mets.

At least we got some laughs from Marveleous Marv and Casey Stengel and the gang.

The "wheels are really off" with this Nats team.

Posted by: bigmook | July 19, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Why is Taverez still on this team ? I get sick to my stomach every time he comes in. Plus all the errors, this 4th innings is a good example of the Nats season, but how many times do we say that ? I keep hoping this team gets better but I really question. Some major changes happen. MAJOR.

Posted by: JT2009 | July 19, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

There is absolutely no reason that Tavarez should be on this team. Bring someone up from AAA. Storen, kick tail in Potomac so that we can delete one of these knucklehead relievers pronto.

Posted by: souldrummer | July 19, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Only reason to continue watching on TV is if Dibble goes off again. He is near losing his mind with watching "Nats Baseball" Painful

Posted by: JT2009 | July 19, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

If Julian Taverez is still on the Nationals' roster at noon tomarrow, I'll surrender all hope that the FO has any clue as to how to run a ML team.

Posted by: BinM | July 19, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I think we need to start brainstorming ideas for showing our displeasure towards the ownership and front office at games. I'm tempted to just start chanting "F you Lerners" at the top of my lungs. But that's not really family friendly - nor is it creative. Sitting quietly while the other team's fans hoot and holler isn't getting our point across.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 19, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

if tavarez, the nats new arsonist-in-residence, is still on this team by game tiome tomorrow rizzo ought to be fired. the nats have to have SOMEBODY on one of their top four minor league teams who could do better than el fuego grande.

Posted by: surly_w | July 19, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Kev29: Maybe the paperbag mask (ala New Orleans Saints fans of yesteryears?

Posted by: bigmook | July 19, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

So, is there anybody out there who still thinks firing Acta solves the Nationals' problems?

And what's the over/under on when the screaming tantrums to "fire Riggleman" are going to start?

Posted by: greggwiggins | July 19, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

What happened to Anderson Hernandez? He hasn't played since July 12 (according to Nats game log on Nationals.com). I know he's in a bad slump-hitting .190 BA in July, but I'd prefer him at 2B to Belliard's .189 BA with no defensive range for all of 2009. Are we simply showcasing Belliard and Harris for a trade? Or is Hernandez hurt?

Posted by: cheeseburger53 | July 19, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Kev29: Maybe the paperbag mask (ala New Orleans Saints fans of yesteryears?

Posted by: bigmook | July 19, 2009 3:15 PM

That crossed my mind. Maybe with a message for the Lerners on there as well. MASN won't show it (boy do they struggle to find pro Nats folks for crowd shots) - but I bet the visiting networks would.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 19, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

We're still sh***y....

Posted by: chris88 | July 19, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Kev29- I think the best thing you can do is stay at home and watch the team on MASN. If the Lerner's see people interested in the team (by watching the games) but viewing the game on a source where they don't get the money (Peter Angelos still gets all the MASN revenue, I believe) ownership will hopefully make the logical conclusion that fans will come to the park to watch a good team play. They need to see that there is, in fact, an audience to make money off of and also that they are not currently making all the money they can. I think high(er) MASN ratings, with low ticket sales will say people are interested in the team but will not pay for tickets to watch a bad team. The best way to change that is to spend money and put a good team on the field!

Posted by: cheeseburger53 | July 19, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Villone for a 2nd inning - NNN-OOOO-ooooo!

Posted by: BinM | July 19, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Amen, Cheeseburger.

Posted by: chris88 | July 19, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I continue to say that voting with your feet is the way to go. Support a winning team. Potomac is winning right now. Support them, especially in Frederick, which is a far better stadium than the godawful park in Woodbridge. Likewise, support the Senators when they come into Bowie and the Lake Monsters when they come into Aberdeen.

I'd rather pay minor league prices to watch minor league talent. The only reason I'm going to big league games right now is that I need stuff that's metro accessible while I'm carsharing.

--SD

Posted by: souldrummer | July 19, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

this has at least been a good weekend for the future mrs. 506.

Posted by: surly_w | July 19, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

11-2

What on earth can they possibly do to punish members of this team tomorrow? DFA's for Tavares and Kearns?

Nothing is working. This team is diseased - and the most troubling thing is if that disease is spreading to some of the promising younger players, that could effect their futures (Zimmerman, Lannan, Zimmermann?).

Posted by: Kev29 | July 19, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Maybe they could send all the bullpen pitchers in double and triple A. I mean, it can't be any worse than what has been put out all season! At least we all hope...

Posted by: rxs85 | July 19, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Good thing we got rid of Manny like everyone on here wanted. Riggleman is getting so much more out of this team! I have already sold the rest of my tickets for this year and will not give Stan/lLerners another dime after funding this garbage for 5 years! Sad, sad situation!

Posted by: sec218 | July 19, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Rooting for a team like this sucks and it is painful, but if and when the Nats become successful, you'll appreciate it even more. Example: I went to my first Caps game in 76(Yes, I'm old)and they were every bit as bad as these Nats and then became respectable but suffered too many stomach punch types of losses in the postseason. I t will mean so much more when they win the cup because of all that history. I hope to one day say the same about the Nats. Have I had too much Kool-Aid????

Posted by: chris88 | July 19, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Some good ideas above. Speaking of our minor league affiliates...

The P-Nats (about to sweep Kinston) are on the road this week, but return to Woodbridge on the 27th. Might be the first chance to see Drew Storen in the area. Their next games in Frederick are Aug 3,4,5 (M/T/W).

Harrisburg play the Baysox this week in PA, but have another home series in Bowie during Labor Day weekend.

Hagerstown have a 4 game home stand beginning July 30.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 19, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

So how is Willie Harris mother doing today?

Posted by: CBinDC | July 19, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

KEV29: A march/protest with signs and speeches we wear our caps(turned backwards) and jerseys/t shirts,turned inside out we need to organize it for a homestand in August a day where it will make the lead of the local news and maybe ESPN's Outside the Lines.I agree Kev29 we as fans need to do something this is getting ridiculous and we are headed for forty games under .500!!!. I have read where a lot of fans are in favor of trading Guzman well i'm not one of them did any of you realize that Alberto Gonzalez has nine errors in half as many games as Guzman and who if memory serves me correct Guz has thirteen, and if we bat Guz second he's hitting over .330 the only way i trade Guzman is if i get that teams top double A pitching prospect.

Posted by: dargregmag | July 19, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

NOW Riggleman brings in Clippard - sheesh; An inning late & 3 more runs short.

Posted by: BinM | July 19, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Not a lot of use in sniping in here. If an embarrassing loss to just a so so cubs team doesn't jump start the organization, I guess it can't be done. This year is just over, so, don't look at the record. It doesn't at this point matter anyway. We need to look at what the they will do within to start improving this mess.

Posted by: cokedispatch | July 19, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cokedispatch | July 19, 2009 4:04 PM

this.

of course, 90% of Nats Journal posters will be too busy singing Funeral Dirges for Manny to realize this.

Posted by: MrMadison | July 19, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

The Nats didn't have to make the Cubs feel THAT welcome. Sheesh.

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 19, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: greggwiggins | July 19, 2009 3:24 PM

Firing Manny certainly didn't hurt.

Nobody sane thought that we'd instantly make the playoffs by firing Manny.

this team needs to be blown up and rebuilt. Firing Manny is just step 1 of a larger process. Of course, Manny's FanClub is too much in love with Manny to see the big picture.

Manny was a bad manager on a mediocre team that underachieved more than any team in the history of baseball, and he got fired. get over it.

nobody is gonna call for Riggleman to be fired. why? because he's just a placeholder, and everyone knows it.

Posted by: MrMadison | July 19, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

@coked: Nice rationalization, but I'm beginning to believe that this team is rotting from the head. If the Lerners' ever want to field a competitive team, they need to let Kasten & Rizzo make deals & just sign the checks.
If Ted & Mark continue to micro-manage finances, slow-pay expenditures, and marginalize outlying fan support (at the park & on TV with a bad product & on the radio with a horrific "network"), they'll eventually wreck even MLB support for their ownership; The local fan base has already been significantly damaged, and will continue to slip toward numbers akin to the Marlins, unless steps are taken.

Posted by: BinM | July 19, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Also,l all you Manny Fanboys should be grateful. Manny lasted about two months longer than he would have in any NORMALLY run Organization.

If anything, firing Manny now was a case of "too little, too late." He should have been fired 2 months ago, when there was still time to make significant changes to turn the season around.

Posted by: MrMadison | July 19, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

26-65

lol screw this. I'm off to the STP show at Merriweather. Scott Weiland could be on junk and it would be better than this mess.

Posted by: Brue | July 19, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

About Manny they could lose with him and they can lose without him ...they don't need Manny anymore to lose...so there !!

Posted by: CBinDC | July 19, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

just another day of gracious living at welcome wagon park. drive home safely, cubbies fans.

Posted by: surly_w | July 19, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

This season has become excruciatingly embarrassingly painful.

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 19, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Folks, discussing the firing of Manny now, after the fact, is not constructive. Clearly we have a serious 'culture/feeling of losing' that has set in with this club. That is part of the problem. Clearly our bullpen sucks and that is a problem that needs to be addressed. We have some field players that seem to have lost their ability to play at the Major League level (likes Kearns), and some who have given up on this team. We need to do something about them. I agree that the Lerners need to let Kasten and Rizzo try to make some trades, promote some young AAA talent, etc. to change things -- beyond just; firing the manager. Riggleman is not going to be the answer, and at this point I am afraid that no (new or otherwise) manager is going to be the answer to get this 'broken' team winning in the near future.

Posted by: bigmook | July 19, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Post game show and Riggleman's press conference: Logan Kensing is coming up from AAA, Tavares DfA.

Posted by: greggwiggins | July 19, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

dc police need to put out an APB for this team's obviously stolen professional pride.

Posted by: surly_w | July 19, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BinM | July 19, 2009 4:31 PM

Agreed. They are really in danger of losing this area for a long, long time. When the team started here in '05, I thought that we might be comparable to Detroit or maybe even (gulp) Minnesota when it comes to fan support, payroll and success. Maybe you take your lumps for a few seasons, but get the fans behind you with some success.

But as we go through these horrid seasons, we're entering into Rays territory (and not in the good way). The Rays were atrocious for ten years - not really MLB caliber in any way. They lost that area. Smart re-branding and player development schemes got them some quick popularity in the Fall of '08 - but this season you can see that there's no depth to that hype. 9 months after an AL pennant, they're below us in attendance again (23k a night) - with a team that we would KILL to watch here in DC. How much damage did those first ten seasons do to them (albeit in an atrocious stadium) when it comes to deep, true fan support?

And how much damage are the '08 and '09 seasons doing to Washington baseball?

Posted by: Kev29 | July 19, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Titanic Deck Chairs Re-Arranged once again:

Julian Tavarez Released, Logan Kensing recalled from AAA.

I forgot we even had Kensing still. I thought we threw that deck chair overboard.

Posted by: MrMadison | July 19, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

greggwiggins: I just heard it also on the post game show, Taverez DFA, Logan Kensing being promoted to Washington.

I expect the rest of this season we will see a purging of those who have had their chance for most of this season, and are not performing, and we will see guys from the minors who have been performing promoted. Also, maybe some trades.

On another note: If I am Willie Harris I would be dieing to be traded. He has worked his heart out for this team the last 2 years, and it is obvious he is will continue to be used as a utility player with the Nats. So if I were him, I would want to be traded to a contender where, if I am going to be a backup, at least I am a backup on a club that has a chance to go somewhere.

Posted by: bigmook | July 19, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

It's only a matter of time, chief.

Posted by: greggwiggins | July 19, 2009 3:24 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 19, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

I like that you thought to say this, surly.

---

this has at least been a good weekend for the future mrs. 506.

Posted by: surly_w | July 19, 2009 3:42 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 19, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Not IMO, chris88.

---

I hope to one day say the same about the Nats. Have I had too much Kool-Aid????

Posted by: chris88 | July 19, 2009 3:47 PM |

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 19, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Meaning that you haven't had too much, that is.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 19, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

What he said.

---

Posted by: BinM | July 19, 2009 4:31 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 19, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the Jim Riggleman era is looking bright... NOT. This team is terrible no matter who is the manager. I will cheer out loud once this season is over. It's so painful watching them try to play baseball. And it's even worse when you're suppose to be at home and everyone is standing up cheering when there's two out and two strikes on the last guy, the crowd waiting for strike 3. It felt like they were playing at Wrigley!

I really want to know how many games the Nats have not committed an error in. It seems like every game there's a number in that last column.

Many Minor league teams can play better than the Nats.

-sad, hopeless Nats fan ;(

Posted by: rachel216 | July 19, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Neither was it constructive to come here the day after Manny was fired and gloat, bigmook, but I seem to recall that there were those who did it. Human nature is a funny thing. Just saying.

---

Folks, discussing the firing of Manny now, after the fact, is not constructive.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 19, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately for us, the Nats are charging MLB prices, and big market prices at that.

---

Many Minor league teams can play better than the Nats.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 19, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Everybody going to the games still is wasting their money watching that garbage!

Posted by: rachel216 | July 19, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

For all of Stan the Plan Man's boasting about how he has had 30 teams in three sports make the postseason, he conveniently overlooks the fact that the Braves were dead in the water until a competent general manager, John Schuerholz, was hired. Schuerholz had built the Royals and was in charge in Kansas City when the team won the World Series. Right now, what this team needs most is an injection of a general manager who has a vision of what the Nats should be not just next season but five years down the road. The current management is still in scramble mode, throwing players against the wall hoping something will stick. Tavarez' departure was long overdue. But management is wedded to the notion of "experienced relief pitching" where they would rather use stopgap retreads unlike the Red Sox whose bullpen is the most effective in the American League and is almost totally home-grown. Management has no appreciation of how consistent, just-make-the-routine-plays defense would be so beneficial to an extremely inexperienced starting staff. Convert more flyballs and grounders into outs and your defense makes your pitching look better. Get over the bromance with Dunn, who allows two runs on defense for every one he knocks in at the plate. Move R-Zimm out of the three hole and flip flop him with Willingham for two weeks. Get rid of the dead wood place holders like Belliard, Villone and Kearns and plug in some of the AAA or even AA guys for the rest of season so you get a better idea of what they can do. Be fearless before the trading deadline and don't worry about fan backlash if a deal makes sense for the team's longterm future. You've lost most of us anyway by now.

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 19, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

leetee1955 nailed it.

Posted by: MrMadison | July 19, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Hey, it's great to go out to the park, see your fellow fans, drop a hundred or two, have a few beers, see how the pitching surplus is holding up, go home early when you know the Nats have lost, sleep off the beers, and get ready for work the next day. What a great way to spend a lovely summer afternoon! This is what we have been waiting all these years for, a reasonable (on the good days) facsimile of big league baseball!

When the Lerners are among the lowest in MLB in investing in their team, this is the expected result. But it still is a somewhat pleasantly numbing experience to see it all play out.

Posted by: EdDC | July 19, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Hey Gang....r.e. bigmooks' comment: Agreed. I posted earlier on this from a "devils advocate " position. We are hearing alot of talk about changing the clubhouse culture. Get rid of the guys who don't act in the long established ways of a Maojor Leaguer. But being a "pro" is more than having your stirrups pulled up and being a good guy with your teammates. Being a PRO is about WINNING.Maybe the culture we want to expand is the culture best exemplified by Austin, Nick, ...perhaps Dunn and yes, Ryan, too, right? Stoic losing. Seems like maybe what we need is MORE of the kind we seem to want "out". Now Dukes(wildly inconsistent) Milledge(wildly overrated and entirely to full of himself) and, going back to last year, Lo Duca(over the hill and out of meds) aren't the best examples. But a bit of honest swagger and directed arrogance and anger ain't necessarily a bad thing. And of course the two aren't mutually exclusive. But maybe allot of our supposed "character" guys are also the core of the losing culture on this team.We could use some players whose definition of professionalism includes more than valiantly losing...while playing the game the "right way". WHERE-other than here-is the fire? I realize, faced with the shadow of an ownership which doesn't yet appear to value winning(or what is required to accomplish it in MLB) that it's probably easy to get complacent....and fall back on being good "clubhouse" guys and honoring all the arcane traditional ways a ballplayer is supposed to behave but...if memory serves me correctly, . Robby was a pros' pro to....any examples, gang, of a more recent vintage?
This hasn't been as coherent as I intended, but the Sunday Fog of another Nats "L" has me feeling groogy!
Go Nats....

Posted by: zendo | July 19, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

but based on Nats history, I have to assume that we will not trade anyone of consequence. we always vastly overrate our players and ask for far too much, and then do nothing.

I'll be utterly shocked if we made any further trades beyond the Morgan/Burnett one.

Posted by: MrMadison | July 19, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

i was there today - nice day, nothing else on my plate, i figured - why not, this team has been pretty good when a sweep is on the line. Man it was embarrassing. Cubs fans outnumbered Nats fans i think. When Mock left, we needed a reliever who could limit the damage to 4. Instead, we got Tavarez, for 3 more runs (yes, i know two of those were charged to Mock, but still). After Villone gave up the 3 run homer, i think i (and most other fans there) just lost interest in the game entirely. As did the team i think - sine they put in the "blowout" team after that. Way to fight for a comeback. And we had our chances today, that we couldn't take advantage of, as always. I don't post here much, but i've gotta say - this team is losing this die-hard Nats fan. Rant over.

Posted by: DCguy7 | July 19, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

One other thing....management needs to respect the fans of their team, not brazenly court fans of opposing teams who have turned the stadium into Welcome Wagon Park. This year, the steadily dwindling Loyal Order of Natsochist Sufferers (LOONS) who pay their way in are consistently treated like second-class citizens in what's supposed to be our home park Can't make the Nats players feel too good about their efforts when the opposition is cheered for beating their brains out. The real loons are the ones in management who keep peeing on our legs and telling us that it's raining.

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 19, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Maybe I am the last one to notice this but, there is a new post.

Posted by: bigmook | July 19, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Interesting news about Guzman's sore feet. I'm guessing that's the likely cause of his declining range. Maybe they can do to his feet what they did to his eyes. Makes you wonder what other "hidden" injuries are out there. Is Kearns this year's Wily Mo Pena? Wouldn't be surprised if something comes out after he's gone (finally).

Posted by: SackMan | July 19, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Enough the team is a pathetic mess and Riggleman will not create a miracle .Impossible feats are not accomplished with what he has to work with and perhaps Acta was not the guy but let's be honest can anyone really bring this bunch of underachievers into a competative team ?? Acta was at least a pragmatic and again deserves a vacation Some day he will probably manage against us and low and behold how really we will pay for the abuse

Posted by: kjmoon | July 19, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Could Rizzo and management at least have given this kid a chance against the Padres instead of the Mets .
Am I loosing my mind with these idiots
Great chance to get back into the big leagues.

Posted by: kjmoon | July 19, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

I really like this kid. I like his never say die attitude. I like that they are finally giving him a chance. When no else would ... Now I am a big Rizzo and Riggleman fan.

Posted by: periculum | July 20, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Yep Storen's on his way. Villone and Beimel hopefully on their way out. They should have been traded/DFA'ed by now ... but they are waiting on the guys down on the farms I guess.

Young is only good if they have the right character, the right attitude. And this team needs the "spit in your eye, never say die" types to percolate up. I think we are beginning to see that. GOOD! I am encouraged.

They really just need a couple of propitious trades and it looks like things will turn around.

Posted by: periculum | July 20, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse