J.D. Martin To Debut Tomorrow

Let's start the day with a little news. NJ legend J.D. Martin, who has pitched with Class AAA Syracuse all season, will make his major league debut tomorrow against the Mets. In tandem, Washington will place pitcher Scott Olsen (left lat muscle) on the disabled list.

I'll have a bit more on the Martin decision before the first pitch this afternoon.

The Nats will try to avoid the series sweep against the Cubbies with this lineup:

Morgan - 8
Johnson - 3
Zimmerman - 5
Dunn - 7
Willingham - 9
Bard - 2
Belliard - 4
Gonzalez - 6
Mock - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  July 19, 2009; 11:08 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rizzo on Storen and Olsen
Next: "He's A Kid Who's Had To Scratch And Claw For Everything"

Comments

I'm only counting 39 on the 40-man roster. There are 41 players listed on the Nationals 40-man page and Bernadina and TYoung are on the 60-day so they do not count against the 40-man.

What player am I missing?

Posted by: Brian_ | July 19, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Not familiar with Rizzo's past work, but one more trade like the Nyjer/Burnett steal and he gets my vote.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 19, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Will the Nats continue to insist there are no $10 seats left for walk-up sales even though there are visibly plenty of empty seats? (Even during the Blue Jays series!) Has anyone else run into this? Has anyone else thought that they might be pulling them in order to force us to buy more expensive walk-up seats? Am I just being paranoid about this?

That said, at this point in the season let's let ALL the youngsters play. What, exactly, are Belliard and Tavarez offering for the future?

Posted by: InTheCheapSeats | July 19, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

@CheapSeats: I've often wondered this myself. I know you can buy season tickets and group tickets up there, so I wonder if a lot of the seats get purchased and then people don't come (meaning they're technically sold out).

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | July 19, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Bought $10 seats at the box office on Friday no problem. Wanted $30 seats in Row A (due to handicap). Those were sold out, and looked pretty full on Sat nigtht. Couldn't upgrade, scalpers last nights were ALL looking to buy tickets, no sellers.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 19, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

For the 6/21 Toronto game there were three entire sections of $10 seats completely empty, and a couple more with only a handful of people. If these seats were "sold" the announced crowd would have been more that the announced 26,610 (with half that number actually in the park).

Posted by: InTheCheapSeats | July 19, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

The only empty $10 seats anywhere near me were ADA. There were very large tour groups of out-of-towners (matching shirts, all came and left together). Expect those groups suck up the cheap seats.

If they decide not to attend or are late or whatever, could lead to a block of empty seats showing up on camera.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 19, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Last night is understandable, and I got there near game time thanks to an hour-and-a-half Metro ride from Shady Grove, but that Toronto game and others are inexcusable.

Posted by: InTheCheapSeats | July 19, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I posted this on an old thread, but want to make sure NatsNut sees this:

That's a strong comment you provided on accountability--keeping quiet and not letting Bowden/Rizzo and Kasten make the real decisions.

Nonetheless, I keep looking for an in-depth analysis in the Post of the Nats' paltry payrolls relative to the other clubs. I would like an analysis about why the Nats feel they have to skimp on the drafts. I would like some discussion about why the Nats do not venture into the international market much. I would like some analysis of why the Nats' GMs are only allowed to trade for bargain basement salaries.

You and I are concerned about two different things. You quote Boswell on accountability. I want investment up to MLB average, or at least not too far below average for MLB clubs.

That's not asking too much at all. Why should the Nats be near the bottom in investment? Someone should call the Lerners on this. I hope it is Boswell. He does mention cheapness from time to time. Last winter he did scold the Nats for their lack of participation in the free agent market. He does it some.

I would like to see a sophisticated analysis of what a club in this large and wealthy region should be investing in the club, and then comparing that to the Nats' level of investment. In fact, I would like to see a whole Post five-part series on the stunning lack of investment, written by Shenin or some other reporter. This issue goes beyond mere public silence.

Posted by: EdDC | July 19, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Easiest move to clear space on the 40 man if needed would be to 60 day Dmitri, retroactive. He has already been down 60 days, right?

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | July 19, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

welcome back, Chico
I'm looking forward to seeing how Mock and Martin pitch
go Nats! shut up the Cubbies already.

Posted by: gengreen17 | July 19, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

my guess is Jesus Flores goes on the 60 Day DL

Posted by: wrw0601 | July 19, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

how was culinary camp, chico?

Posted by: surly_w | July 19, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

EdDC - Yours is a great call to action by the Post. Come on, WaPo. Sunlight is the best disinfectant. Disinfect this rot that unfolds nightly before our eyes.

I know that budgets have been slashed, layoffs hard, and the demand to blog all the time may prevent in depth reporting.

I pay for a subscription. I would also gladly pay for internet access to keep professional eyes on them with the power and the money.

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 19, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Tom Watson just re-claimed the lead with one hole to go. Wow.

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 19, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

@ Flynnie, This is awsome. He is 59!!!! I hope to just be walking around at 59. ;)

Posted by: chris88 | July 19, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Hi, Chris - Watson needs par to win. "Guts of a burglar at age 59."

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 19, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I am sure glad that the Nats are not the ones paying Soriano 17 million to hit .234 and play left field like Adam Dunn!!! Always searching for positives....

Posted by: chris88 | July 19, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I loved that line too.
"Guts of a burglar at age 59."

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 19, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chris88 | July 19, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

And Joe Torre turned 69 yesterday. The Dodgers held on to win a tough one for him. It was wonderful to listen to Vin Scully call that one last night.

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 19, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Damn!!! Playoff. Could it be we brought him Nats karma???

Posted by: chris88 | July 19, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Playoff with Cink. Ah, well, as a Nats fan, disappointment is a familiar companion. A four hole playoff, forced by an old man's caution on the last putt.

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 19, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

agreed, Flynnie. I am getting really good at "dissapointment management."

Posted by: chris88 | July 19, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

new post

Posted by: surly_w | July 19, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

YES!!! Syracuse ... needs some of the finger lakes cold to bring a methodical approach to starting to learn winning habits!

Posted by: periculum | July 20, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse