[Updated Again] Johnson to Marlins, Beimel to Rockies

From Chico in Pittsburgh:

Nick Johnson has been traded to the Marlins for minor league starter Aaron Thompson. The deal was completed right at the 4 p.m. deadline. The lineup in the Nats' clubhouse was just taken down.

Ken Rosenthal first reported the deal on FoxSports.com.

The Nats clubhouse is buzzing.

The team also traded Joe Beimel to the Colorado Rockies for minor leaguer pitchers Ryan Mattheus and Robinson Fabian, both right-handers. The Rockies also received "cash considerations."

From the Nats' release:

Mattheus was 1-3 with a 3.81 ERA in 19 appearances for Colorado's top three affiliates this season before having "Tommy John" ligament-replacement surgery performed in early July. In 26 innings prior the surgery, Mattheus struck out 27 -- or 9.3 per 9.0 innings pitched.

In five-plus minor league seasons in the Rockies' high-altitude system, Mattheus is 29-40 with 17 saves and a 5.17 ERA en route to a nearly 2.0/1 strikeout-to-walk ratio.

Mattheus, 25, shifted to the bullpen in 2008 and his efforts were rewarded, as he represented the Rockies in both the 2008 Futures Game and the Class AA Texas League All-Star Game.

Fabian was 3-6 with a 6.24 ERA in 24 games (12 starts) with Asheville of the Class A South Atlantic League. In 83 2/3 innings, he fanned 54 and walked just 21, good for a 2.6/1 strikeout-to-walk ratio.

And from Chico:

Tonight's lineup:

Morgan -- 8
Guzman -- 6
Zimmerman -- 5
Dunn -- 3
Willingham -- 9
Harris -- 7
Bard -- 2
Gonzalez -- 4
Lannan -- 1

By Tracee Hamilton  |  July 31, 2009; 4:42 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Beimel Traded to Rockies (Updated)
Next: Trade Deadline Moves: Johnson To Florida, Beimel To Colorado

Comments

Thanks, Tracee!

Posted by: JohninMpls | July 31, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Bang - Zoom - there go the fireworks. See ya tuesday Nick.

Posted by: cokedispatch | July 31, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Ok, now back to the lineup (new posted, re-newed thread):
So here's the lineup the rest of the way (when the necessary adjustments are made):
Morgan - 8
Guzman - 6
Zimmerman - 5
Dunn - 7
Willingham - 3
Dukes - 9
Bard - 2
Gonzalez - 4

Posted by: -CN- | July 31, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Can we do a news blackout for a while until I figure out how to tell this to my 12 y/o who idolizes Johnson?

Posted by: Intrudr | July 31, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Interested to see who we got for Beimel. Chacin and Fowler? Somebody's pulling our leg.

Posted by: Bethesdangit | July 31, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Nice job, Rizzo. He got his man. Time to make him GM.

Posted by: lowcountry | July 31, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Nice save, Blogmom!

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 31, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, bethesdangit, no way we get either of those two.

Posted by: BobLHead | July 31, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

My only Nats jersey is a Nick Johnson away (old Fuddrucker's font). It's sad to see him go, but I understand the move.

The future first base picture will be interesting, starting tonight.

And my decision regarding a new Nats jersey will be made in the offseason (Lannan? Flores?).

Posted by: JohninMpls | July 31, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Intrudr, show your 12 y/o the standings (online, hmph) and explain that Nick now gets a chance to go to the World Series, and - though we don't really like the Marlins - this might be one of his very few chances to get a ring and we're happy for him.

Posted by: Section506 | July 31, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Love it! We got at least something for two guys who will say bye-bye in two months.

Well done, Mike Rizzo.

Posted by: Section505203 | July 31, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Sorry I started a new post sort of haphazardly. I was so excited to back on NJ I lost my head.

Posted by: Tracee Hamilton | July 31, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Hope y'all are happy. This is not going to improve the defense at all.

Posted by: poncedeleroy | July 31, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Theoretically....is Dunn now the 1B? If so, does Dukes come up from SYR to be the regular RF? Will Kearns and Belliard be DFA by the weekend? Questions, questions....

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 31, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget there's Mora, who has some first experience, and then Belliard, too.

Posted by: Section506 | July 31, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

No possible way the Rockies sent Chacin and Fowler. Reports say two minor league pitchers. Fowler is not a pitcher and both players are on the Rockies 25 man active roster.

Posted by: NeedANatsFix | July 31, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

@Section506
I like the spin. Of course, I may be going to all 3 Fish games next week so we can see NJ play. Of course, it may be too soon for that...

Posted by: Intrudr | July 31, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Aaron Thompson 22-34 career wise in the low minors. He's given up 567 hits in 506 innings. The Nats are paying Nick's salary for the rest of the year and we get fielding butcher Dunn at first base. Bowden could not have done worse.

Posted by: bupbups | July 31, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

@Intrudr - tell her we are going to sign him back as a free agent in the offseason.

It is what we have been telling everyone around here all day.

Posted by: lowcountry | July 31, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Morgan - 8
Guzman - 6
Zimmerman - 5
Dunn - 7
Willingham - 3
Dukes - 9
Bard - 2
Gonzalez - 4

Posted by: -CN- | July 31, 2009 4:17 PM

Willingham has played two games of 1B in his career - and I don't believe the Nats have had him prepare to be there this season.

Put Dunn there for the rest of the season and see if he has any potential to improve as a 1B.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 31, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

does this team ever trade for anything besides pitching? BTW - mLB Channel deadline coverage is awesomwe.

Posted by: surly_w | July 31, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

@leetee

One would have to think that Belliard will be DFA'ed, but I think Kearns will stay to provide the good ole clubhouse leadership...

Posted by: -CN- | July 31, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Intrudr, this is Lesson #1 in: It's about the name on the front of the jersey, not the one on the back.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 31, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Carried over from the previous post:

I have a "fandom" question about the Johnson trade. Assuming it is true, do we give him a standing ovation on Tuesday night when he comes for his first at bat? I certainly intend to do so (assuming I attend the game), but I'm wondering if I will be in minority.

Posted by: LurkerNowPoster | July 31, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LurkerNowPoster | July 31, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

ESPNNews bottomline says we got thes guys for Beimel:

Ryan Mattheus and Ruben (something, missed his last name)

Posted by: curz | July 31, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Will Kearns and Belliard be DFA by the weekend? Questions, questions....

Posted by: leetee1955

Answers, answers...We can only hope.

We got younger, more athletic (and with the exception of the Dukes recall) more reliable.

The end of the Montreal era! Hoorah, horrah.

MVP player award, as usual, goes to Tracee. Kick save and a beauty, Tracee...

Posted by: jdschulz50 | July 31, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Maybe they could have DaMeat mentor him.
***********
Posted by: Kev29 | July 31, 2009 4:25 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 31, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to see Nick go, and I wish him well. But what needed to be done needed to be done I suppose. Come back this winter, Nick!

Posted by: twinbrook | July 31, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Mattheus? Isn't that whay Todd gave Lisa Luepner when he tried to get her drunk?
------------
"The Denver Post is saying one possibility is Ryan Mattheus, currently with Class AAA Colorado Springs (1-1, 4.32 ERA).

Posted by: Tracee Hamilton | July 31, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

"

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | July 31, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

This is a fail if the Nats could have done this for Tucker earlier in the day.

Posted by: hoo93 | July 31, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

suly_w- agreed.

In fact, MLB Tonight is the best damn sports show on television

Posted by: GoNatsTerps | July 31, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

@Kev29
Reason why I think Dunn stays in LF is b/c he's awful at first base. Looking at it in a defensive & offensive standpoint, I think Willingham to 1B and Dukes to RF nets the most runs for the team.

Posted by: -CN- | July 31, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

i don't see how trading Nick helps us at all.

Posted by: dlombardo1 | July 31, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Yes, they traded for Nyjer Morgan...

Posted by: peytondowdy | July 31, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

where are you seeing that Dukes was called up?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 31, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Heyman reporting that Peavy was sent to the White Sox for minor leaguers.

Posted by: NeedANatsFix | July 31, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Are these prospects any good?

Posted by: trezmartin | July 31, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely! I would hope for nothing less.
__________________________________

Posted by: LurkerNowPoster | July 31, 2009

Posted by: lowcountry | July 31, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section506

Posted by: CBinDC | July 31, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Farewell to the Last Expo.

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 31, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I don't see Dukes called up. He still needs to get that attitude adjustment firmly in place. If I am Rizzo the call up should be for Morse and Padilla.
Moving Storen to the last slot available on the 40 man.

Posted by: periculum | July 31, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Well, this was exciting. Guess I should actually, y'know, work. When will the official line-up be posted?

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 31, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

LurkerNowPoster,

I will definitely clap for NJ's first at bat. Despite the long stints on the DL, his first 2 seasons as a Nat were great, and I enjoyed watching him play.

Posted by: NattyFan | July 31, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I have a bad feeling about this...

Posted by: margkcars | July 31, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Pitching, pitching, pitching is what will get the Nationals to the top. We will miss Nick's bat...

Posted by: derbyparty007 | July 31, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Lurker: Absolutely stand and applaud to say 'thanks for a job well done.' That's what I'll be doing.

Posted by: Bethesdangit | July 31, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Sec3

Didn't mean to imply that Dukes had been called up. I was just s'posin about what might be. With Dunn out of the OF, it may open up a spot for Dukes for the rest of the season.

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 31, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

This is a year old, but Thompson looks like someone we won't see in DC:

6. Aaron Thompson, LHP
DOB: 2/28/87
Height/Weight: 6-3/195
Bats/Throws: L/L
Draft: 1st round, 2005, Texas HS
What he did in 2006: 3.63 ERA, 134-139-35-114 at Low A
The Good: The cerebral lefty has an 87-90 mph fastball and plus slider to go along with pinpoint command. He mixes in a changeup, and is aggressive within the strike zone.
The Bad: His success depends far more on finesse then power, and his velocity fluctuated during the season, dropping into the mid-80s at times.
The Irrelevant: Thompson will be an interesting one to watch at the plate when he reaches Double-A. A two-way star in college, he'd have hit in the middle of the Texas A&M lineup had he attended college.
In A Perfect World, He Becomes: A solid but unspectacular left-handed starter.
Gap Between What He Is Now, And What He Can Be: Average. Thompson's polish could allow him to move quickly, but he lacks the projection of some of the more physical pitchers ahead of him on this list.

Posted by: BT23 | July 31, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

So who were the prospects they got from the Rox???

Posted by: JamWhitt | July 31, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Ryan Mattheus

Posted by: Kev29 | July 31, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

We got who we wanted from the Marlins and accomplished the major objective of getting Dunn out of the outfield. As for the Rockies prospects we will see who they are, but I wouldn't expect much for Beimel.

Posted by: wellscats | July 31, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

This is all I can find about Mattheus so far - doesnt sound good..

Ryan Mattheus, RHP: Enough potential that the Rockies felt the need to protect him on the 40-man this offseason; now hurt and out for season. Will have Tommy John surgery, which precludes his inclusion in the top 30.

Posted by: curz | July 31, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

"All of that really does not matter when you are 12 and the player you idolize is traded."

Your other option, of course, is to simply tell the truth about how it's a money-making corporation and everyone looks out for number one.

Posted by: Section506 | July 31, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Colorado is happy about the deal:

Posted by: RedBee | July 31, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Intrudr | July 31, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

C'mon Intrudr, it shouldn't be that tough. A 12 y/o should be able to comprehend and handle trades in baseball. Yeah, sure he'll be disappointed. But players come and go.

Was I disappointed when the Orioles traded Doug DeCinces to the Angels in 1981? Yep. I was 11, but I got over it - especially when Cal Ripken won ROY the next year.*

*For the record, I severed all fanship-ties to the team-that-shall-not-be-named prior to the 2005 season.

Posted by: combedge | July 31, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Rizzo knows his pitchers if he wanted Thompson, than I am sure to trust his opinion over stats.

Posted by: hleeo3 | July 31, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

CBinDC has got it right. It's all about Nick and not about the Nats. Sec3mysofa is right too - we're just not quite ready for that lesson yet. Sigh...

Posted by: Intrudr | July 31, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Rogers, looks like a left-handed Martis. Stats look pretty comparable except he needs to work on the walks. Its been a problem. Control?

1st round pick in 2005.

Pretty good haul, should definitely pick up the Syracuse rotation.

Posted by: periculum | July 31, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

The Tuesday Marlins game is in my 21-game plan. I'll be wearing my #24 red Nats T-shirt, standing and clapping the first time Nick steps up.

Posted by: nunof1 | July 31, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Its a good trade, better than the one originally envisioned. With Olsen down and probably out they needed another left-handed starter.

Now they need another left-handed hitter though ...

Posted by: periculum | July 31, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Good luck Nick, I am sure he will be on the West Coast closer to Sacramento in 2010. Good luck Joe, you were just turning it around and now off to the Mile High city. Correct me if I am wrong but we now have 3 spots on the 40 man (two of them being for the active roster), so when do Dukes and Sosa take the drive down the NY State Thruway towards Pittsburgh??

Posted by: markfd | July 31, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Best of luck to Nick. He is an original Washington National and that's forever. Great guy. Fine player. Stay healthy Dude.

Hopefully Dukes is back in the Bigs for good and he can allow Morgan to cover left center for either Dunn or Willingham.

Dunn's future is in the American League as a DH.

Posted by: hz9604 | July 31, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

@combedge
It's my daughter. You've completely overlooked the crush factor.

Posted by: Intrudr | July 31, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Probably better just to stick to VORP, 506.
_____________________

Posted by: Section506 | July 31, 2009 4:34 PM

Posted by: lowcountry | July 31, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

"does this team ever trade for anything besides pitching?"

You can NEVER have enough pitching. At all. Ever. Most pitchers won't work out. The Nats have already learned this because the 2003-2005 top prospect each year Clint Everts and Mike Hinckley aren't going to work out. Some of the 2006 and 2007 first round pitchers also look like they may not work out at all either.

The Nats are doing the right thing. They'll likely focus on position players next draft when that crop is supposed to be better than it was in this year's draft.

Posted by: CJMARTIN04 | July 31, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Good Luck Nick, go get that ring!

Posted by: hleeo3 | July 31, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

The jury is still somewhat out on Everts. He is the closer in Harrisburg. He isn't getting any younger.

Posted by: periculum | July 31, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Colorado is happy about the deal:

Posted by: RedBee | July 31, 2009 4:34 PM

Conclusion

This is effectively a salary dump for the Nationals, as they received very little in return for Beimel--who could at least be moderately useful on the field and could be much more useful in terms of a compensatory draft pick.

by Jabberwocky (http://www.purplerow.com/)

Oh boy - that is exactly what Nats fans/Lerner haters do not want to hear.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 31, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

The Rockie's blog analysis assume Beimal is going to be a Type B free agent. Looking at the slide in his performance from his unbelievable early days, I'm not sure you can assume that anymore. I don't know where the cut-off bar is, but he's right around it.

It seems Rizzo is making a bet that it's about an even chance, similar to the one you would make for a former highly ranked prospect undergoing arm surgery.

Posted by: Section506 | July 31, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I just hope that Rizzo knows something else about these guys. As of right now I think the Nats got taken. However, I thought the same thing about the Milledge for Morgan deal. Hopefully I am wrong again.

Posted by: WashOut | July 31, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Esmil Rogers???

Posted by: JamWhitt | July 31, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nunof1 | July 31, 2009 4:36 PM

I think I'll go that night and do the same thing

Posted by: Kev29 | July 31, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Robinson Fabian is the other player from the Rockies.

Posted by: Taster | July 31, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Tonight's line-up are listed on the refreshed version of this post. Harris is in LF, while Dunn is manning 1B

Posted by: -CN- | July 31, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Aaron Thompson was taken with the 22nd overall pick in the 2005 draft by the Marlins. He was awarded with a $1.225mil bonus. Most believed he would be a tough sign because he had committed to Texas A&M early on, but things changed once the Aggies fired their coaching staff, and Aaron then signed with the Fish. After struggling in his first couple of professional outings, he came back strong in his Jamestown campaign with a 3.10era in just over 20 innings. The 6'3 left-hander spent the 2006 season at low-A Greensboro and showed much promise in what is considered a hitter friendly league. Thompson went 8-8 with a 3.63era and a 1.30whip in 134 innings of work. The longball was a bit of a problem as he gave up 12, but he did strikeout 114 compared to just 35 walks. 2007 was a minor breakout for him. Aaron battled with shoulder tendonitis early on but still went 4-6 with a 3.37era and a 1.36whip in 115 innings of work in high-A Jupiter. He gave up just 2 homeruns, while walking 35 and striking out 84. What was most impressive from his 2007 performance was his consistency from month to month. Besides June where he had a 4.05era, his era in every other month was 3.67 or better.

Thompson took a major step backwards in 2008 while in Carolina. He dealt with injuries much of the year and when he was healthy he showed little command. His strikeouts plummeted and he gave up well over a hit per inning. Like many finesse left-handers, Thompson has garnered plenty of comparisons to Tom Glavine. Thompson’s fastball sits at 89-91mph and his three secondary pitches, changeup, curveball and slider, are all solid. His curveball has the most potential out of those pitches. All four of his pitches have the potential to be (or are already) plus pitches. Aaron has shown good poise, savvy and competitiveness on the mound. He also showed a much improved pick-off move at first base, and was good at holding runners. He has a projectile frame, and should add strength and muscle in the near future. With this added strength, his pitches should have improved velocity as well.

Most would say that Thompson is near his ceiling as a #3 or 4 starter. I believe with the improvement of all four of his pitches, his ceiling is much closer to being a #2 than in being a #4. He's about as developed as much as a 21 year old can be and he will spend much, if not all of the 2009 season in Triple A New Orleans. This is an important season for Aaron has he needs to rebound of a terrible 2008. If he can turn things around, he could have a shot at a starting rotation spot in 2010. If he continues to struggle, he could end up in the bullpen sooner than later.

Posted by: trezmartin | July 31, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I know a lot of fans are going to disagree with me, and I know Johnson is in the last year of his contract, he has a history of injuries, and there was a vague mlblog post about him wanting a fair chunk of change next year, but.....GAH I hate this trade! Nick was a solid 1B, hits for good average, always has good at bats, I'd have much rather the Nats try to sign him for next year. Marrero is 2 years away, Dunn is really not good at 1B. They need to build a core team and give them time to learn to play together (so...I don't like the Beimel trade either). The pitcher they are getting for Nick sounds highly unimpressive, and they are going to pay the rest of his 2009 salary? w t f? Admittedly I've been watching Nick for 5 years now (ok, minus 2 years of injuries) and having a somewhat emotional response to losing a guy I really like, but I don't like this trade at all!

Posted by: timmy4 | July 31, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations Riz! Getting something for Johnson and Beimel for 2 month rentals was what the Nats needed to do. Wishing NJ well and maybe a shot at the post-season. Maybe we talk to you in November! Sorry it was inside the division, but there weren't many buyers. The Beimel move was great - whatever we could get. Now we need Burnett to step up.

And, yes, farewell to the last Expo. But, that's just 2 months in advance. We can thank NJ in person next week -- you better believe I will be giving a standing O when his name is announced.

(great MLB.com coverage at work)

Posted by: mo_dc | July 31, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Beimel this season is 1-5 with 3.40 in 45 relief appearances. He's known as a sinkerball pitcher who rarely allows a home run. In his nearly 40 innings pitched this season, he's given
up just three home runs. Before this season, he played three years for the Dodgers after getting to the big-leagues in 2001.

One name that was mentioned as possibly going back to the Nationals is Rockies minor-league pitcher Ryan Mattheus, currently with Triple-A Colorado Springs. He's 1-1 with a 4.32 ERA this season for the Sky Sox.

Posted by: periculum | July 31, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Robinson Fabian? A 23 year old pitcher in A-ball who doesn't strike anyone out??? Yeesh. Bring back Bowden.....

Posted by: JamWhitt | July 31, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Robinson Fabian

Posted by: Kev29 | July 31, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

"Ok, I know a lot of fans are going to disagree with me, and I know Johnson is in the last year of his contract, "

If he wants to come back they can always resign him, but he will get to find out what it is like to play for a winner ... so he may try FLA first. But you never know if that falls through ...

Posted by: periculum | July 31, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

This guy averages nearly 1 1/2 hits per inning and a walk every two and a half innings. His control seems to have worsened over the past four years. Where is the value here? Where is the potential?

Posted by: JoeTink | July 31, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

If Joe was not a rental for the Rockies we wouold have been able to pry loose Young, too bad, but judos to Riz for trying.

Posted by: markfd | July 31, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't Nick the last of the Expo-Nats? It will feel a bit strange not having him on this team...he's been here since Day 1.
At least he now get's a shot at the playoffs.

Posted by: 1stBaseCoach | July 31, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CBinDC | July 31, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Mattheus To Undergo Tommy John Surgery

July 7, 2009 | 6:55 pm

By Jack Etkin

Triple-A Colorado Springs reliever Ryan Mattheus has a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow and will undergo a ligament transplant or Tommy John surgery in the next week or two when the swelling subsides. Matteus, 25, will be sidelined for at least a year after the operation.

This has been a starcrossed season for Mattheus, who went 1-1 with a 4.32 ERA in 13 games for the Sky Sox. He also pitched at high Class A Modesto and Double-A Tulsa, working a combined total of just 26 innings this season as he dealt with a strained oblique and an eye injury he suffered in a weight-room accident.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 31, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Milledge recalled by the Pirates today. Wonder if he'll be in uniform for tonight's game.

Posted by: westofrome | July 31, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Because I know the FO is waiting to hear, I would put Dunn at first and Dukes in right and just leave them there no matter what, then see what I thought at the end of the year.

Posted by: markfromark | July 31, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

"intrudr: tell him that some of us are still getting over Rodriguez, Brinkman and Coleman for Denny Mclain. I feel his pain and we will get thru this together.

Posted by: CBinDC | July 31, 2009"

You mean Denny McDick. Yeah, that one really hurt, even ol' Teddy Ballgame was upset.

Posted by: periculum | July 31, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

"The Rockies have been trying to acquire Beimel for the better part of a week, but balked at the asking price of Eric Young Jr."

Rizzo asked for EY Jr.? I have to give Rizzo credit for his guts, but that's an insane deal and the Rockies would have been stupid to do it.

Beimel isn't all that special really. They got just what they could for a middle relief/setup guy. Yeah, he doesn't allow homers but he doesn't strike guys out either.

The only thing that could have gotten somebody like EY Jr. was an established closer, and we all know the Nats don't have one of those.

Posted by: CJMARTIN04 | July 31, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

The most interesting thing about Robinson Fabian (besides his cool name): he's 6-3 and 152. 152! When he pitches from the stretch, your probably can't see him!

Posted by: baltova1 | July 31, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Pirates' lineup:

1. McCutchen, CF
2. Milledge, LF
3. Jones, RF
4. Doumit, C
5. Young, 2B
6. Pearce, 1B
7. LaRoche, 3B
8. Cedeno, SS
9. Ohlendorf, P

Posted by: Kev29 | July 31, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

You may not see Dukes again until September.

Posted by: periculum | July 31, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Farewell Nick. You are a classy guy and a good player. Thanks for the memories, too.

Nick was the last Expo, and now Guzman (I think) is the last of the original 2005 Nats... Remember that Zimmerman was NOT an original Nat but was called up that September.

Posted by: brian1va1 | July 31, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Its a shame they couldn't trade Guzman.

Posted by: periculum | July 31, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Guzzie could still go in August, nobody is going to bite on the contract so he would definitely clear waivers. Nick was relatively affordable and probably wouldn't have passed through.

Posted by: peytondowdy | July 31, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

As far as I can tell, the last remaining vestige of Montreal baseball in Washington is Ladson.

Keep pushing those former Expos for the Hall of Fame, Bill. That really endears you to all of Washington.

Like I really care about Bill Stoneman...

Posted by: jdschulz50 | July 31, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait for Adam Dunn to take over at first base. Ryan Zimmerman must be crying like a baby.

Posted by: bupbups | July 31, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

According to espnews we also got Robinson Fabian from the Rockies- a RHP in low A with a 6+ era.

Posted by: nathoo94 | July 31, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

I do understand the idea of trading players in the last year of a deal while you can still get something in return. In this instance, I think it was badly executed. The Nats have made themselves a worse team, not better. The prospects don't look like major prospects. I'm not sure what the Nats got that they couldn't have gotten by letting these guys walk at the end of their deals. NJ would have brought in a compensatory pick, no? If they'd traded him earlier, they might have gotten a good prospect in return. I don't understand the logic of holding on to him all the way through the trading deadline, when his value is at its lowest ebb. If you're going to trade the guy, why wait until day, with this team? This season was in the crapper long ago.

Posted by: fischy | July 31, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

"You may not see Dukes again until September."

I really hope we NEVER see Dukes. The kid isn't good enough to put up with his attitude and occasional off the field stupidity.

My opinion about Dukes will never change after an unnamed Nats player said the clubhouse "would be a much happier place" if Dukes was gone.

Dukes and Milledge are equals as far as I'm concerned. They have all the raw talent in the world but their heads aren't screwed on straight so they'll never be what they could be as players.

Posted by: CJMARTIN04 | July 31, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm a bit perplexed by the Beimal trade. Where's the up side?

Posted by: Section506 | July 31, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bupbups | July 31, 2009 5:00 PM

We suck this year - I don't think Dunn at first will make much difference there. I think this is a 2 month audition to see if he'll ever play NL baseball again - and might predict his trade value/future as a National.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 31, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section506 | July 31, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

"NJ would have brought in a compensatory pick, no?"

Nope. He's been too injured to qualify as a free agent who would bring a compensatory pick. He would have walked for absolutely nothing. Furthermore, if the Nats re-signed him and wanted to deal him next year, the likelihood is that he'd be injured next year and gain them zero still.

Posted by: CJMARTIN04 | July 31, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

@timmy4
I feel it too. I accept that with only 2 months left before he's FA what were we going to get for him? Probably not a lot. But still... I'm seriously underwhelmed by what we've got in return. We've done the injured pitcher thing to death.

If we did nothing with NJ would we have re-signed him? I doubt it. He's almost made it through the whole year without a serious injury but it's still a risk and unless he was willing to be cheap or sign a short contract it wasn't going to happen.

Still sucks though.

All the best Nick.

Posted by: SaveOurTeam | July 31, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

@Section506: The upside is we don't have to watch Haircut Joe give him anymore ninth-inning home runs. He would have been gone at the end of the year anyway. Burnett basically took his place as the top lefty out of the pen. Beimel always seemed to be a perfect NJ reliever: kind of swarmy, full of snark, but really never very effective. He certainly was not the same pitcher the Dodgers used as a setup guy. Pitching at 5,200 feet. How's that working out for ya, Joe?

Posted by: jdschulz50 | July 31, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

So happy to see Nick go. Hope they make the Series with the guy, makes no difference to me. better the Fish than the Phils, that is for sure. Nats did what they had to do. Thank God.

Posted by: dfh21 | July 31, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

"CJMartin, you know what would make the clubhouse much happier? Winning. Think of all the world-class @#%!-heads that people on contending teams put up with."

But that's the point, Dukes isn't going to help anybody win. His head isn't screwed on straight, he doesn't play as hard as he should and has the attitude like he's a superstar and entitled to things when he's not. He doesn't take walks and strikes out way too much.

I just don't think Dukes is that good of a player.

Posted by: CJMARTIN04 | July 31, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

How about the prospect of trying to win some games now for those of us that still pay our money to go the games? Instead of always trying to find the "next best thing?" This guy looks like he'll be lucky to be a Matt Chico. Yeah, Rizzo knows his pitchers ... Garrett Mock has been really impressive.

Posted by: dlombardo1 | July 31, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

jdschulz, you confuse me for someone who cares about character. It's numbers, man, only numbers. Rizzo, so far, has seemed to value that also, though maybe not as much as me.

Posted by: Section506 | July 31, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

and if we're picking up part of Nick's salary like had been reported, then Rizzo is really just bending over.

Posted by: dlombardo1 | July 31, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Can we now say that what happened in Montreal now stays in Montreal? No knock on Montreal I love the place but time has come for us in DC to repair the rip in time and place. To move on in our own home grown pain and joy.

Posted by: CBinDC | July 31, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

"He doesn't take walks and strikes out way too much."

If only there was a massively annoying ad campaign that ran ad nauseam to commemorate one particular walk to show, anecdotally, that this wasn't true...

Posted by: Section506 | July 31, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

It's impossible to evaluate the Beimel trade without knowing for sure who they got. It's hard to believe that they traded for a guy who just had Tommy John surgery. That doesn't even seem legal.

Posted by: baltova1 | July 31, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

> This trade is BS, unnecessary, and I agree with a previous poster - we became a worse team today.

Time to rehire Manny Acta!

Posted by: nunof1 | July 31, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Yay, more minor leaguers! Ugh.

Posted by: rachel216 | July 31, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

You trade a proven professional, strong character guy, clubhouse leader, career .300 hitter, solid fielding 1B for a kid that will never see the major leagues. Would have been better to keep him and take your chances on re-signing him. I like Rizzo but taking this down to the deadline lost him any bargaining power he may have had. Nick was worth way more than one AA pitcher no matter what round the guy was drafted.

Posted by: AsstGM | July 31, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

> It's hard to believe that they traded for a guy who just had Tommy John surgery. That doesn't even seem legal.

Maybe they traded for Tommy John. Would that be legal?

Posted by: nunof1 | July 31, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

@506 - I think the upside is that we got something. I suspect Rizzo was working hard on a Chicago deal and the Rockies were plan "B" - or the foil against the Cubs. When the Cubs went for the cheaper option yesterday, Rizzo was left holding the hot potato.

The moves today tell us a lot about Rizzo. He is a pragmatist. We had two players headed to FA with a strong possibility of receiving no compensation for them. We got compensation.

I wonder too if there is a provision in case Matthus does not come back from arm
surgery.

Posted by: lowcountry | July 31, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

"Thompson, who was a first-round pick in 2005, is 5-9 with a 4.11 ERA in Double-A this season. He is the 13th-ranked Florida prospect according to Baseball America, but hasn't lived up to expectations just yet and barely has any keeper value. "-CBS Sports

What? Cmon Rizzo, you've got to do better than that.

Posted by: natsfan111 | July 31, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Time will tell I suppose, but it's hard for me to get excited over any of the pitchers we got today. Theoretically, getting anything for guys we're going to lose at the end of the year anyway can be viewed as a positive. But on the other hand, if their max upside is as average MLB bullpen arms, as it seems to be, and given that some or all of them may never reach that upside, then I tend to agree with 506 ... what's the point? I guess we just have to hope Rizzo strikes gold.

Posted by: BobLHead | July 31, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

"You trade a proven professional, strong character guy, clubhouse leader, career .300 hitter, solid fielding 1B for a kid that will never see the major leagues. Would have been better to keep him and take your chances on re-signing him."

Suspect this is as much for Nick, the last Expo, as for anything else. You never know, he may be back.

Posted by: periculum | July 31, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

They can work with Rogers in Syracuse ... see what he's got.

Posted by: periculum | July 31, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

So we basically got nothing for NJ. Wow... Rizzo couldn't get anything better than a minor league pitcher that went 5-9 in DOUBLE A this season?! 13th ranked prospect in their organization?! We just got worse than we already are, which I don't even know if that's possible.

Posted by: rachel216 | July 31, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

I think it would be a wee bit unfair of us around here to complain about the Lerner's being cheap AND complain about picking up Nick's salary.
___________________________

Posted by: dlombardo1 | July 31, 2009 5:14 PM

Posted by: lowcountry | July 31, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Man, I know trades have to happen and they're supposed to be strategically smart, but dangit, I get *attached* to these guys. I don't want Nick Johnson playing *against* us, fercryingoutloud!

I must just be a girl or something because I'm only sad about this.

Posted by: NatsNut | July 31, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

You go to market with the trades that are there, not the ones you wish were there.

"Why didn't they trade Beimel to the Yankees for Teixeira, A-Rod, and 2 of the monuments???"

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 31, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

(These are some of the same people who are still asking $800,000 for their 2-bedroom row house, and firing their realtor when they don't get offers.)

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 31, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

I get more info from the posters than from the actual writers. Who is writing this blog anyway and where is the info???!!!!

Posted by: dovelevine | July 31, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

NatsNut: you can be sad just No crying. There is NO CRYING IN BASEBALL.

Posted by: CBinDC | July 31, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm slightly confused with people posting on here. Rizzo tried to get Manny Delcarmen, but got shot down. He tried to get Bobby Parnell from the Mets but got denied there too. Not sure who they looked at in San Fran but they seemed to want Willingham more than Nick. Then people were made because he hadn't traded him. Now he pulls the trigger on a guy who isn't terrible and could have some potential and everybody is dogging him. Make up your mind!

Minor league stats don't mean anything, look at Mock's minor league stats, they were great, but he sucks in the Major's.

Look at Lanna's minor league stats when he was 22. He went 6-8 with a 4.70 ERA in A ball. Same thing with Craig Stammen, he had an ERA higher than Thompson's when he was in High A ball.

Posted by: peytondowdy | July 31, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

so the Nats traded away their most steady player to date for two minor leaguers that have injury issues..... in the Minor league!!!! Also, with one of them that has degressed in prospect status. I guess it is in the water here where owners and front office staff are Ree-Ree's when it comes to building their team. The only one that has not sip the water is Teddy :) Lets keep piling on more young unproven pithching to a team that has plenty of young unproven pitching! Worse part about this is I am a BoSox fan but like to watch and cheer for the local team (NOT BALTIMORE!) Good luck Nats

Posted by: rvanags | July 31, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm happy for Nick Johnson that he gets to play for a better team, but we sure didn't get anyone to help the team.

How many iffy minor league pitchers do you have to have in your system before you can feel like you might have one that will make it to the majors?

2B is already a black hole and this may make 1B one also. Gonzalez and Hernandez should both be playing in AAA. I would say keep Belliard around for a while because of his versatility but his hitting has deserted him. Kearns has got to go.

The only thing that makes me happy is that the Marlins didn't push Bonifacio on us. I've been shaking since someone suggested that as a possibility.

Posted by: longhorn64 | July 31, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

The trade deadline is passed and Adam Dunn remains a $10 million cleanup hitter on a sub-.300 team. Does Mike Rizzo even have a clue?

He said several weeks ago that he wanted to see Dunn play out his contract on the Nats next year. I guess he'd rather go for that vaunted 60-win mark next year than actually build a winning team for the long haul. Again I ask - where does Mr. Rizzo keep his clue collection?

Posted by: B2O2 | July 31, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

We just gave Nick Johnson up for nothing. That pitcher we got in return is a scrub. So long NJ, you were a very good batter who I'll miss.

Posted by: WahooTim | July 31, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Send Dukes to rookie ball and let him learn the game. He can't go back on fly balls, he's a disaster on the basepaths, and he doesn't understand the concept of situational hitting. Mickey Mantle didn't do situational hitting either, but Dukes ain't him.

Posted by: jerseycityjohnny | July 31, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

What are we going to do with all these pitchers??!!! I want players that play now, not more minor leaguers.

Posted by: rachel216 | July 31, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Sad to see Nick go, but the move was necessary.

Posted by: Offense-offensive | July 31, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

The tradable guys were Willingham and Dunn.

Consider that Dunn was the Nats' ONLY free agent signee under the Lerners that made any kind of decent salary. Consider that Willingham was the HIGHEST salaried player the Nats ever received in a trade since the Lerners took over (even though his salary is still just $2.95 million).

The Nats had very little else highly marketable to turn into significant prospects. And the Nats could not trade Dunn and Willingham without being even bigger jokes--jokes to an unacceptable level, even by Nats' standards. So they had to hold onto those two guys just to be in shouting distance not of respectability but of minimal acceptability by Nats' standards.

If the Nats had taken in higher quality guys in trade (guys who made decent salaries) and if the Nats had signed more than just one high-salaried free agent under the entire term of the Lerners' ownership, then the trading deadline would have been a lot more interesting. The Nats would have had tradable commodities.

So yes, lowcountry, the evidence suggests that the Nats are indeed cheap, and fans paid for this cheapness on trade deadline day.

Posted by: EdDC | July 31, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

These guys seem to fit the Rizzo mold: low walk numbers, slightly older for minor leaguers, decent K:BB ratios. Rizzo likes to know what he's getting, and that means you have a low-ceiling, but also less risk. Saw this in the draft with Storen, Holder, the other pitcher from UGA that I forget his name, etc. Also saw this with the Millege/Hanrahan deal- he got 2 guys with consistant, predictable performance. They may have lower upside than some people like, but they are also less risky that they will be complete busts. I believe that is what you can expect from Rizzo- no more flashy, "toolsy" projectable athletes with unlimited potential that busted time after time in the Bowden era. Rizzo wants known quantities with little risk. I'm happy to give his way a chance after the Bowden disaster.

Posted by: cheeseburger53 | July 31, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

rizzo sure worked hard to improve the syracuse chiefs, didn't he?

Posted by: surly_w | July 31, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Oh, OK, somebody is sure to write in that the Nats can't be cheap because they offered a big contract to Mark Teixeira.

My DC Lottery ticket missed by only a couple digits. Does that mean I am rich?

Posted by: EdDC | July 31, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

So EdDC, you are saying you want the Nats to take on bigger contracts so they can trade them at the deadline? I'm not sure I follow your logic there. I'd rather see them build up like the Rays did and not have to sign over priced, over the hill players. It took the Rays several years but now they will be in the thick of the Wild Card race for the next several years.

Posted by: peytondowdy | July 31, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Nick Johnson is probably a very happy person right now.

Posted by: andrewgerst@hotmail.com | July 31, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Good post, cheeseburger53. We seem to be stockpiling potential serviceable bullpen arms. But maybe that's what the market is for rentals at this point (and we had to add cash in both cases to get even these deals done). It's also worth keeping in mind that Rizzo had to do something. He's auditioning for the GM job. He couldn't just sit on his hands. Also also, these days TJ surgery often improves performance. Somebody else is going to have to give examples though b/c I gotta run.

Posted by: BobLHead | July 31, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Both of these trades are jokes for the Nats. Even if they may not be able to re-sign them for next year (and like, why not try to you cheap morons?), why doesn't trying to learn to actually win games with the 2 months that is left of the season matter? You can say bye bye to Riggleman for next year with Beimel and Johnson gone, he's not going to be able to win games now. Nice job Rizzo, you went from a stud with the Pirates deal to a big dud today, brother.

Posted by: timmy41 | July 31, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

$20 says Johnson gets hurt and is out for the rest of the season in the next 2 weeks.

I love Johnson and wish no ill will on him but he has never made it this late in a season without getting hurt, its only a matter of time.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | July 31, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

"Dukes isn't going to help anybody win. His head isn't screwed on straight, he doesn't play as hard as he should and has the attitude like he's a superstar and entitled to things when he's not. He doesn't take walks and strikes out way too much."

I see you are suffering the same cognitive impairment that Mike Rizzo is. Last year Elijah Dukes walked 50 times in 326 PA for the Nats. I don't have the league average handy, but that is easily a WAY ABOVE AVERAGE MAJOR LEAGUE walk rate. What is this garbage about him not knowing how to take a walk??

Ah yes, as Mike Rizzo will tell you with glazed-over eyes, a small three week window after Dukes came back from an injury is a much better indicator of his talent (and future projection) than his entire pre-2009 record.

Mr. Rizzo, I'll spell it out to you simply. Bring the guy back up, apologize to him for screwing with his head, and remember what a rebuilding team is about: developing young talent.

[Extra free hint: Adam Dunn is not in the dictionary next to "young talent". His picture is next to the entry for "juicy trade chit who should be off your roster after the trade deadline".]

Posted by: B2O2 | July 31, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

New post. Don't miss it.

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 31, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

"And the Nats could not trade Dunn and Willingham without being even bigger jokes--jokes to an unacceptable level, even by Nats' standards. So they had to hold onto those two guys just to be in shouting distance not of respectability but of minimal acceptability by Nats' standards."

Sigh. Respectability. Do they wave "respectability" pennants over stadiums? When/if the Nats finally become a contender (let's cheerfully say in 2012), will you or anyone here care or even remember whether they won 52 or 55 or 59 games this year? What is the point of trying to eke out a few extra wins in a lost year? Am I missing something?

If the Nats had a decent interim GM, Adam Dunn would be penciled into some AL team's lineup tonight as DH, and their top prospect would be in the Nats system now.

GOOOOOOOOO 67 wins! SO much more exciting than 61 wins.

Sheesh.

Posted by: B2O2 | July 31, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

To quote a Nats vendor : "Minor league baseball at major league prices."

I think that says it all.

Posted by: gc102696 | July 31, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

The Lerner's have done nothing but suck off the profits of a new ballpark since they bought the team. They have done nothing to either improve the team or make it more attractive to potential customers.
These trades might even make sense as a salary dump, but they can't even do that right. They pay NJ's salary for the year and most of Biemel's for 3 lousey lousey AA pitchers. Tommy john Surgery?

Posted by: weyuwar4 | July 31, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

When I first heard of the NJ trade, I asked my son to check his phone internet to see who they got for him. He told me that he checked the major league trade listing and could find nothing on the trade. I told him his mistake was trying to look it up under major league teams.

Posted by: weyuwar4 | July 31, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Fellow Natoschists, what Rizzo did this afternoon was turn two players (NJohnson & Beimel) who were not going to return to this team in 2010 into three young pitchers (1LHSP, 2RHRP) who might be a part of something good down the road, imho.
Dunn will fill in for some games at 1B, but with multiple 25/40 man spots now open, I wouldn't be suprised to see either Eldred (currently in DL) or Morse selected from SYR to finish the season at 1B in WSH. I also wouldn't be stunned to see MChico get the callup from HAR to fill a MR-Spot Starter role for the reaminder of the year.

Posted by: BinM | July 31, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Yeah BinM those 6.00 ERA double a and single a pitchers bode well for a bright future, don't they

Posted by: weyuwar4 | July 31, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Nick's history is Nat's history.
Not having him around anymore is sad.
Almost as sad as Nat's history.

Posted by: 1stBaseCoach | July 31, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

RBI single for Lastings against our ace.
How many enjoyed that?

Posted by: 1stBaseCoach | July 31, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Nick !!!!!!

Posted by: dashriprock | July 31, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Here we go - it's Pittsburgh on the Potomac.

Posted by: alecrogers1 | July 31, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Nick Johnson was a major league ball player, something the Nats don't have many of. I wish him well in South Beach.

Posted by: mikeinburtonsville | July 31, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse