Lineups From Minute Maid

Blum - 5
Pence - 9
Rodriguez - 2
Matsui - 4
Moehler - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  July 12, 2009; 12:54 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nats 13, Astros 2
Next: Gonzalez Will Be Getting More Playing Time

Comments

We should be sending out e-mails/text messages of Willinghams stat line on the season .303/.418/.580 12 HRs to every GM in baseball at least once per day, probably four times per day if they're in the AL. Make sure to remind them that those power numbers are despite missing so many ABs early in the year. I want more than some bullpen chump for that kind of a bat, though.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | July 12, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I write about the Nationals at a fan website and got so excited about last night's 13-2 win, I wrote this great story and submitted it.

I got an email this morning saying they don't publish fiction.

No, that really didn't happen, but it wouldn't have surprised me the way things have been going.

When I started writing there in January, I'd typically garner 500 or so hits (reads)per story, with one topping out at almost 4,500.

For the last few weeks, my stories (as well as the other Nationals' writers) are getting 75-80 per story. As a test, I wrote a story about the Mariners and got nearly 1,000 hits.

So it's not baseball, it's the Nationals.

Interest is really waning regarding the Nationals.

Over at Ballparkguys.com, there were dozens of threads active at any one time last summer. Today, there might be the current game thread and one other, but seldom more.

I understand that the team is bad, but I wonder how much of that interest will return as the team begins to win again.

Because the Nationals' roots aren't deep in Washington, I'm fearful that the team has squandered so much of its good-will that the bright future the team will enjoy one day won't be witnessed by many people.

Hope I'm wrong.

Posted by: rushfari | July 12, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

@Imjust: I'd have to believe that Rizzo is floating a number of names (NJohnson, Guzman, Willingham, Harris, and others) on the trade market. The problem is, trade opportunities need to be focused on filling a, shall we say, "value-for-value" criteria.
Throwing players names out for offers smacks of a "fire-sale" mentality, and ultimately devalues the return; the Nationals' are not at that point, imo.

Posted by: BinM | July 12, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Rushfari,

Goods points backed up with some facts about the lack of interest in the Nats. The Lerners and StanK have squandered good will in the Nats with their mismanagement and cheapness.

But in my opinion, the DC sports fan is fickle. Win, and they will come.

Posted by: Section505203 | July 12, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Rushfari,
Not familiar. Tried to register, says "The account has not been approved yet". This is after email to "verify" account. Could slow me down...

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 12, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Also not sure how much posting I can do at any one time, am here, on Twitter, IMing with family and watching/listening to game. Creeping towards overload...

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 12, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse