Nats 5, Braves 3

Exit notes from today's 5-3 Nats' win against the Braves

1.) Viva Scott Olsen. Just when you thought Washington's season had run out of strange turns, along came this latest bend: This 25-year-old lefthander, beaten by all comers in his first eight starts this year, among the worst starters in the National League, all but discarded and forgotten as a crop of shiny rookies invaded the rotation, has somehow returned from injury to look like the exact pitcher Washington always hoped for. Now, Olsen is throwing harder, pushing deep into games, and reestablishing himself as (perhaps) a component of the organization's future. It's only been two games, so we'll hold the champagne-popping, but since coming off the disabled list, Olsen is 1-0 with a 2.87 ERA (15-2/3 IP, five earned runs).

For the first time today, Olsen hinted that shoulder problems -- left shoulder tendinitis sent him to the disabled list on June 8 -- troubled him well before he spoke up.

"Yeah, I just didn't feel very good overall," Olsen said. "That's pretty much as far into detail with that as I'm going to go."

Fair enough. Let's just say this: With a healthy/effective Scott Olsen, the Nationals are even richer with pitching talent than they already thought. It's as if they've just found a rumpled $20 in their jean pockets.

2.) Nyjer Morgan, through three games, has made quite the impression. This series, he made somewhere between five to seven defensive plays that no other centerfielder on the roster can make. He's even hitting a bit, going 3-for-5 today with an RBI double, a run scored and a stolen base. But after this game, everybody was talking about two plays -- the gliding, over-the-shoulder catch on a sixth-inning Chipper Jones liner, and an 8-4 putout play at second where Morgan threw out Martin Prado just seconds after trying for (and just falling short) on a diving catch.

"He's gonna take a lot of bases away from guys," Adam Dunn said.

"Phenomenal," Olsen said. "A great, great pick-up for us. He can flat-out run the ball down better than most centerfielders I've ever seen. He's a lot like Juan Pierre out there, who I was a teammate with in 2005. To know he's out there behind you and can run things down, it gives me that extra confidence that I can give up balls to the gaps and they have a chance to be caught."

3.) In the ninth inning today, things got a bit hairy. Olsen, one out from finishing the game, gave up a two-run homer to Nate McLouth, so suddenly the Nats led just 5-3. No biggie, right? Well, Olsen was removed at that point as Manny Acta summoned Mike MacDougal from the 'pen. MacDougal surrendered a Prado single, and then faced Chipper Jones, the potential tying run. With the count 3-2, Jones fouled off a fastball.

The fireworks errantly were shot off.

Bang, zoom, oops.

Jones turned toward the Washington dugout and said, "You've got one more pitch, bro."

Actually, Jones ended up walking.

Everybody was thinking the same thing: Uh-oh. The Nats, after all, have had plenty of epic collapses this year. Fireworks Fail would have ranked up there.

But MacDougal then forced Brian McCann to bounce to first. Game over. No further fireworks.

"We've got to win a little more," catcher Josh Bard said, "for them (the fireworks operators) to get some practice."

By Chico Harlan  |  July 5, 2009; 5:52 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zimmerman Is Nats' All-Star Representative
Next: On Handling the Starters

Comments

That's a good one, get the fireworks operators some practice...

Posted by: swang30 | July 5, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Nyjer Morgan is greattttttttttt!! Through 3 games, already making a huge difference in the field and on the bases. What a great trade by Rizzo. 2 game win streak!

Posted by: rachel216 | July 5, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Solid pitching from Lannan and Olsen this weekend but much credit should go to Cap'n Morgan for his stirring exploits. The over-the shoulder catch today and his putout at second after missing the diving catch were huge. Oh, yeah the 3-5 and SB wene kinda helpful too. How refreshing to see an outfielder seem to know where the ball is going, have the speed to get there and then throw to the right base. That kind of confidence (and competence) can be very soothing to a pitcher. The high energy level is something the team has been lacking with its collection of lumbering hulks. Hopefuly he is not another flash in the pan fizzle but so far he looks like he can play the game.

Posted by: SackMan | July 5, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Nyjer Morgan interview. Seems like a really great, funny guy.

show_id=119457

Posted by: rachel216 | July 5, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Why didn't that link work? :(

Posted by: rachel216 | July 5, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Link worked fine for me Rachel, great stuff, thanksmuch!

Posted by: HotNats | July 5, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Start of the year, I had thought that an order with the CF leadoff, Nick 2d, the RF 5th, and Guz 6th would make a ton of sense. I thought the CF could have an OBP of .345+ and work counts, Nick 2d would really work over pitchers, and that Guz around 6th would let his high average, high contact approach drive in the runners ahead of him. Of course, I figured it'd be Lastings leadoff and ED 5th, so that's no vote of confidence in my judgment, but I like how Manny has the order now.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | July 5, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

"It's as if they've just found a rumpled $20 in their jean pockets."

Nice one, Chico!

Posted by: HotNats | July 5, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Time to go Morganize the Rockies. I'm really liking what I'm seeing right now with a bullpen caution. Still a little scary down there. So nice to deflate the pompous braves.

Posted by: cokedispatch | July 5, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Nats win, happy happy. Just a quick question: Anyone else wonder why Manny didn't put in a pinch runner for Josh Bard after his double in the 6th? He didn't look good on the bases and I think a pinch runner might (would) have scored on Olsen's single. In the end we didn't need it, but we might have.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 5, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

In case y'all didn't see it, nice piece by Yardley on the '62 Mets (and '09 Nats):

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 5, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

I went to the game today. I never before went to a home game where the team won, and thought what a terrible team they are! Olsen looked great. Morgan greater! Zimmerman, how are you ever an all star. Somebody must be brainwashed. I do think this team is on the verge of clicking. Just not this year.

Posted by: Pete433 | July 5, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Even if this team is not contending, they can still give us a Sunday afternoon game to enjoy and a happy ride back on the RFK buses with the disappointed Braves fans.

And I know Ronnie Belliard is not part of the future of this team, but I still enjoy the heck out of watching him play. He had a great double and his positioning to take the throw from Morgan was perfect to get Prado called out.

I agree Morgan is a welcome addition to bring energy and skill to both center field and base stealing.

Got to go send in some more Guzman votes. I hate to see Zimmerman as our only eepresentative.

Posted by: longhorn64 | July 5, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nats_Lady

With a lead and only one other catcher on the roster it's too early to substitute.

Posted by: SackMan | July 5, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Great Scott! (to quote an earlier commenter)

Perhaps the MLB club was merely paying homage to the Class A Advanced club after their premature pyrotechnics in last night's game. hmmm, come to think of it, the P-Nats won, too. Maybe we should start a new tradition?

Morgan's over-the-shoulder catch was terrific! I don't think that either Dukes or Milledge gets that one. I loved the diving near-catch and recovery to get the runner at second even more. Could we be seeing the emergence of Superman II?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 5, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Champaign - a city in Illinois
Champagne - a celebratory (and overrated) beverage

Posted by: DKB755 | July 5, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Figured somebody would point that out, dkb.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 5, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Nats Lady,

I'm sure Manny didn't want to take Olsen's catcher away when he was having such a good outing.

That said Josh Bard runs like a Keg rolling down a hill, not pretty.

I went to both games this weekend and I have to say I am amazed at the defensive improvement with Morgan in CF. I was pessimistic about the trade at first since I didn't see Morgan as being sufficiently better than Harris to justify giving up Milledge, but I have to say its WONDERFUL to see a true CFer out there....and his base stealing is amazing, he's so fast from 1st to 2nd he almost overslides 2nd base each time - what speed!

Posted by: estuartj | July 5, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

I do wonder why Manny didn't pinch run Harris for Belliard in the 8th, turned out ok anyway - I'm also surprised Manny kept Belliard in at 2nd for the top of the 9th after replacing Willingham and Dunn in the outfield - maybe he's just playing it safe in case it did go extra innings, you don't want to lose 3 bench players at once...

Posted by: estuartj | July 5, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

True you can't complain about the game Bard was calling. It was a little early, but he sure looked like he was in pain (I know, I know, catcher's don't feel pain).

Yeah, that bus ride to RFK was fun. Had a Braves fan sitting next to me at the game, I got a little worried in the 9th, but he assured me the Nats would win--the Braves are not the old Braves...

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 5, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

That said Josh Bard runs like a Keg rolling down a hill, not pretty.
Posted by: estuartj | July 5, 2009 7:01 PM

-------------------------------------------

I have a new favorite line of the day.
Still chuckling...

Posted by: HotNats | July 5, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

That said Josh Bard runs like a Keg rolling down a hill, not pretty.

Posted by: estuartj | July 5, 2009 7:01 PM |

++++++++++++++++++++++

I liked it too, but I immediately thought rolling down the hill is still too fast. Bard runs more like a keg rolling UP the hill.

Posted by: NatsNut | July 5, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

nyjer certainly is a joy to watch, his play has reaffirmed my love for freakish speed on the diamond

Posted by: bford1kb | July 5, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by NatsNut:
----------------------

I REALLY should not eat supper and read comments at the same time.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 5, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

"It's as if they've just found a rumpled $20 in their jean pockets."

They should check all their pockets. J.D. Martin might also be worth at least a crumpled $20. Nyjer Morgan should be instructive here -- baseball is fluid. The Nats might have a "Plan", but the details haven't been filled in yet. You never know when that nice painting you picked up at the garage sale turns out to be a real collector's piece.

Posted by: fischy | July 5, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Elijah Dukes had a pretty good first game for Syracuse today, 2 for 4 with a double and a stolen base (3rd) to go with a K and a CS.

The Chiefs loaded the bases in the 9th but couldn't push a run across because they had emptied the bench earlier in the game. Still the 8 hitter, catch Jhontan Solano almost hit a walk off grand slam, but it was caught by the center fielder at the wall (he hit it to the deepest part of the part damnit!).

Posted by: estuartj | July 5, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

It's tough to run for your catcher in the 6th inning. You use up Bard and go to NIeves and then you have no catcher left for the just in case scenario.

Posted by: comish4lif | July 5, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if there is a roster move pending before the team gets on the plane to Colorado. I'm betting that Detwiler and Balester are switching places, but maybe they'll give Detwiler one more start and hold off on a decision until after the all star break...

Posted by: estuartj | July 5, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

>Nyjer Morgan is greattttttttttt!! Through 3 games, already making a huge difference in the field and on the bases.

Hard to tell how well he'll hit, but he can definitely cover a couple of acres in center.

Posted by: Brue | July 5, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

You mean Willie Harris can't catch? Thought he could do everything. Yes, I am really liking me some Nyjer.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 5, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Olsen's return from the DL has been shockingly good. Morgan has been a pure joy to watch. Willingham is smoking the ball, even his outs are great hits. Even Guzman and Belliard are making fine plays in the field. What's up?

Having a real centerfielder playing the position is such a novel concept. Why did we not think of this sooner? The idea of not putting square pegs in round holes is something I thought most people learned in kindegarten. All of sudden we don't have to score 10 runs to win a ballgame.

Posted by: driley | July 5, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Glad to read that Dukes' streak of caught stealing has followed him up to Syracuse. Anybody note how much better this club is playing since Dukes' "deletion?" He'll never be back up with this club, I predict.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | July 5, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

I disagree on Dukes, if Nick Johnson is indeed going to get traded then Dunn moves to First and Willingham moves to Left Field. If that happens, who do you want playing Right Field, Elijah Dukes or Austin Kearns?

I'm willing to bet Rizzo and Acta are going with Dukes, but they need to get him some at bats between now and then and that just isn't going to happen with Willingham starting in RF (and really how can you NOT start Willingham when he's hitting like this, and his defense has been better than I expected though still not good).

Posted by: estuartj | July 5, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Dukes steal of 3rd today occurred in 9th inning when Syracuse was down 2-0 with no outs. If he was throw out, it would have been another bone head play. As Syracuse needed someone behind him to score, there was no reason for him to try to steal 3rd.

Posted by: Tom261 | July 5, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

If the scenario I outlined above come to pass, who bats 2nd with Johnson gone? I say bat Dukes 2nd and keep Guzman at 6 (where he has done well the last few days, and with his all hit no walk approach he needs to be batting lower to get RBIs since his OBP will never be very good). That would make our August line-up;

1. Morgan (CF)
2. Dukes (RF)
3. Zimmerman (3B)
4. Dunn (1B)
5. Willingham (LF)
6. Guzman (SS)
7. Bard (CA)
8. Hernandez (2B)
9. Pitcher

Posted by: estuartj | July 5, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

I guess we know the answer to this now...

-----

Apparently, so. Ronnie is 2 for 11, with a double, 1 walk and 4 Ks against Lowe in his career.

Bard is 3 for 21, with a solo home run, 3 walks, and 2 Ks vs. Lowe.

Lowe this year, though has a .305 batting average-against vs. right-handers, so maybe Manny wants to play on that. And Anderson Hernandez is only hitting .244 against right-handers (but Belliard is .154). Bard has the vs. right-hander edge on Nieves.

Also, it could be a reward for their at bats yesterday which were key to winning the game.

Posted by: Section506 | July 5, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section506 | July 5, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

You did not hear it here first--somebody mentioned it a few days ago, when they sent him down--but I don't think Elijah is coming back.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 5, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

and thanks for the link to the Capt. interview, Rachel.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 5, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

now that the relatives are gone, there are a coupla things...

first, no big deal if dukes never resurfaces in natstown. he's a lifetime .237 hitter who'll swing at anything in the area code. i'm all for rizzo purging the remains of "bowden's bad boys" if it will bring more cohesiveness in the clubhouse and on the field. let the toolsy, immature problem children go poision someone else's well.

and charlie and dave's gripe about the dunnkey being left off the all-star team was a little over the top. they mentioned how other selected BL outfielders didn't have dunn's power numbers or his on-base numbers, but the one thing they never got around to mentioning is that those guys can CATCH THE DAMN BALL! the game is in st. louis and there is no DH to hide the dunnkey. it's like back in the last years of the senators when frank howard was a starting all=star. he'd get his one at-bat, the manager would pray nothing was hit to left field while hondo was out there and he'd be on the bench after the second inning for a better defensive player. i know it's hard to believe after watching the nats field with the greatest of E's all season, but defense does count for a lot in this game.

Posted by: surly_w | July 5, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

I just read a Tom Verducci article on Bryce Harper.

Unfortunately, Scott Boras is his agent. If the Strasbourg negotiations go in Boras' favor, and he blows open the conventional rules to the draft, it could be a similar deal with this guy, presuming we draft him.

Posted by: jaumiusk | July 5, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

shud have been "other selected NL outfielders..."

Posted by: surly_w | July 5, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

hey surly, lay off dunn - he can catch just fine, he just can't get to the ball.

Also, I'm not a big Dukes apologist, but it's tough giving a "lifetime" stat for a guy in his 3rd MLB season, and less than 200 games played.

Posted by: estuartj | July 5, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the Syracuse report, estuartj. Solano had one of my fave P-Nats championship-run moments last year. I knew he'd been promoted to Harrisburg but hadn't realized that he's at Syracuse now.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 5, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

jaumiusk, great story on Harper - my only fear is that we're only 7 games "ahead" of Cleveland for the top pick in 2010....that honestly worries me more than Boras. He drives a hard bargain (the hardest!), but he gets his guys signed, unlike Crow's ass clowns last year...

Posted by: estuartj | July 5, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Hooboy, good to see all the goodtime posting.

First of all champaign is not overrated.

GREAT trade for Nyjer the Enforcer. Fantastic. Not only is the Marlins trade looking rosey right now with Olsen and Willingham playing their brains out and Bonifacio back to being Bonifacio, but the Trade for Milledge even seems like a plus in the long run.

If Morgan keeps playing well and Burnett is decent, I would take that exchange for Scneider and Church. We have Jesus and I always thought Church was a whiny clubhouse poison. I betcha he contributed to the Mets meltdowns.

Always rooted for Dukes. Syracuse is right place for him for now but I hope he's back. Kearns is so frustrating.

I think Detwiler should be a Chief too, for a spell.

I'm off to vote for Guz and Inge

Posted by: nattaboy | July 5, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm kind of surprised that the prevailing theme continues to be that Nick Johnson is off this team. Who says?

Nick is only 29. He has a great OBP, and when healthy gives the Nats a very stabilizing presence at the plate. Between him, Dunn and Willingham, pichers are throwing much deeper into counts.

I'm not sold on Dukes as our RF. Dunn in LF and Willingham in RF, with Johnson at 1B seems much better offensive-wise than Dukes in this lineup.

Plus - maybe Rizzo has other plans....

But, it's great to see Olson have such a great back-to-back! Go Nats!

Posted by: dand187 | July 5, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm voting a straight Dominican ticket, nattaboy, with Guz and Peña.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 5, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Is there no limit on the final vote? I've been voting for 20 minutes...

The schedule for July looks muuuch easier. The trade deadline will be fun too and maybe some Strasburg updates. And maybe we'll finally get to see Da Meat Hook? Yes please.

Posted by: nattaboy | July 5, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

I didn't bother to finish reading the idiotic post that this team is playing better since Dukes was sent down,lets get one thing straight connecting Elijah with the day to day fortunes of this team is like blaming the bat boy. This team was destined for failure when Manny Acta was retained after last season's train wreck, sending Dukes down was a ass-backward move by Rizzo and on the heels of the Martis demotion why am i not surprised, to suggest that this team is playing better is laughable. The Nats will win the occasional game or two they may even have a modest win streak, but to be sure as long as Manny remains progress will be slow and nonexsistent and one more thing stop piling on Dukes the kid has stayed pretty much on the straight and narrow.

Posted by: dargregmag | July 5, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Not sure, nattaboy. I've not run into a "votes exceeded" message yet.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 5, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

OK, the Captain has an alter ego, "Tony Plush"--I'm in. I take back everything I said about this trade.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 5, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

For the first time, I can live with trading Nick Johnson. With Guzman batting second with Nijer leadoff, Guz will get a lot of fastballs. If Nyjer is running, Guz should still swing at a fastball. If it's offspeed, Guz can lay off.

I think it's possible to teach Dunn to play first better than he can play LF. Nick isn't Wes Parker, and the Mets might be desperate for him right now. They are not scoring runs.

Posted by: paulkp | July 5, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

estuartj

to paraphrase bill parcells, dukes is what his stats say he is. it's like your "permanent reord" when you were in school except that "my man's" permanent record is on the back of a baseball card for everyone to scrutinize.

Posted by: surly_w | July 5, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm not clear why this post and the gamer say that Olsen had no wins this season before today - I recall a great win in Philadelphia, and per the Nats' website, Olsen won there 4-1 on April 29. I know Olsen was gone for a long time, but I didn't think it was that long!

Posted by: Traveler8 | July 5, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Good riddance to Dukes. If anyone comes up it should be Jorge Padilla.

Posted by: WJStephens | July 6, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

I was just able to watch tapes of both weekend games. Can I just say the word that came to mind as I watched Nyjer Morgan bat? Bonifacio. His addition (and Hernandez's?) seemed to energize the team -- and us -- for about a week last year, but the 2008b Nationals didn't end up looking so hot after all. At the plate, I watch Morgan poking the ball to short left-center and legging out doubles. Reminds me of a pop-fly triple (or maybe just a double) that our Emilio hit shortly after he joined the squad.

Anyway. Morgan could turn out to be an exceptional center fielder, and this team could really use one of those, for reasons others have covered very well for at least seven months. And hey, Bonifacio managed to turn himself into Olsen and Willingham, so he helped us on his way out the door too. So I guess I'm just sayin'.

Also, driley points out that "Even Guzman and Belliard are making fine plays in the field." I noticed that too. We've talked a bit about so many players' poor performances in the field, even the good players. Later in the season, if such numbers are easy to find, I'll be really interested in seeing how many of these dudes field much better in June/July/August. The popular fielding stat UZR, just like batting average, can swing pretty wildly over small time periods.

All for now. I'm off to enjoy the deep, delighted sleep that a curly-W streak brings.

Posted by: Scooter_ | July 6, 2009 12:52 AM | Report abuse

Morgan's defense was more than impressive. The way he got so quickly to balls will hold runners. No knock on Willie H, but this guy is a big league center fielder.

Posted by: nats24 | July 6, 2009 1:44 AM | Report abuse

Based on the MLB website, the voting opportunity goes on (unlimited, keep on clickin', till ya can't click no more!!!) until Thursday. Not sure of the actual time deadline...

***Guz in '09!!***

Posted by: HotNats | July 6, 2009 3:06 AM | Report abuse

Great game! Let's have a cheery. long streak! But I heard that the reason we were swept by the Marlins was a lack of "situational hitting." (Just like the Pirates when they faced Ricky Nolasco yesterday.) And now we have "situational hitting" we are winning. In fact Manny had a meeting on "situational hitting." Call it what you will ("clutchiness") it cannot be statitstically duplicated. Clutch hitters one year are not clutchy the next. http://tinyurl.com/p6tqgo "Just as common sense says that some people handle pressure better than others, it seems likely that these differences are not large among major leaguers.

True chokers will flame out well before reaching the big leagues. Players who discover an edge in clutch situations, meanwhile, will almost certainly try to use it at other times, too.

If it exists, clutchness probably creates only a few extra hits for a batter over the course of a season, despite announcers who claim to see it in every game"

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 6, 2009 4:19 AM | Report abuse

Flynnie, it may be true about "clutchiness" but I have been left with the impression that Hanley Ramirez and Sean Victorino just kill us when they have runners on base. Flores was the player on this team that deserved the "clutch" label.

What would be the opposite stat of clutch? My answer would be grounding into double plays. Unfortunately we have two impressive GIDP candidates--Zimmerman and Kearns. The frustrating part about watching the Nats bat has been the number of times a runner on third with one out was left stranded at third with the heart of the order up. Failure to make contact or to get the ball out of the infield is just pure and simple a case of bad hitting.

Posted by: driley | July 6, 2009 7:07 AM | Report abuse

"I'm not clear why this post and the gamer say that Olsen had no wins this season before today - I recall a great win in Philadelphia, and per the Nats' website"

It's because the Post has laid off (bought out, actually) most of its copy editors. Those are the guys who used to fix mistakes in reporters copy before it got published. See yesterday's ombudsman column for more on this. Meanwhile, thanks for doing the Post's job for it by pointing out this mistake!

Posted by: section417 | July 6, 2009 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Yes, I believe that it's Olsen's second win, Traveler.

Morgan also has a deejay name, sec3. Search for "Plush" on the page - there are two items, with the deejay being on the 4/15 broadcast:

Thanks for the polling research, HotNats.

um, it's "Shane," driley. Speaking of GIDP, the other Morgan broadcast has an anecdote about his first-ever GIDP, which was a bogus call, evidently.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 6, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Da da da, another new post is up.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 6, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse