Nats 8, Brewers 3

Baseball, despite what they tell you, is not a marathon. No way. It's a succession of little sprints, a four-game race here, a three-game race there, and each one has its own rhythm and energy. Observe the Nats right now, and one realizes how quickly a few wins can reform everything. It's not like this team is playing to right its season; heck, even fourth place is out of reach. It's just playing, and no finish line two months away seems to matter.

The Nationals, following Tuesday's 8-3 stomping of the Brewers, have a four-game winning streak. I write more in my gamer about the Riggleman Effect, but for now, I'll just say this: Winning helps with energy as much as any manager can. "There's a little more energy. A little more buzz," Nyjer Morgan said.

Morgan attributed his first-inning leadoff homer to a rare power hitter's swing; he took a big cut, he said, because he's feeling "sexy at the dish" right now. Adam Dunn, in the fourth, hit a 445-foot mammoth shot that actually left the stadium on one hop through an open window in right-center, skipping into the players' parking lot. ("Once he hit it, everybody was screaming," Collin Balester said.) Oh, and there was another home run in the seventh: Cristian Guzman turned a 5-2 lead into an 8-2 laugher, important against a team with enough big hitters to always retain a puncher's chance.

So for the moment, NatsTown has a new highmark for goodwill.

Dunn reached base four times. Balester (6 IP, 5 H, 2 ER) earned his first win of the season. Morgan had a career-high three RBI. The Nats committed no errors. And in the last two games, their offense has gone crazy. The totals during that span: 22 runs, 25 hits, six homers, 13 walks.

Said Riggleman: "I think we're just feeling that this is what we could have been doing all along."

By Chico Harlan  |  July 28, 2009; 11:58 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Trade Candidates, Johnson and Good Vibes
Next: Nyjer Morgan, One Month After the Trade

Comments

balester!
clap clap clap!

Posted by: tk001 | July 29, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Makes one wonder how much of an effect Riggleman's chewing out of the team a few days ago has had, and whether Manny Acta ever did anything similar...

Posted by: Juan-John | July 29, 2009 12:25 AM | Report abuse

I have to think that Beimel's comments regarding Manny (as posted in Chico's last post)... "Beimel said, 'but he wasn't a big talker. He talked to us once in a while, but maybe this is what the team needed.'"

...speaks volumes.

Posted by: HotNats | July 29, 2009 12:34 AM | Report abuse

Juan-John, pulling chains

Posted by: Section506 | July 29, 2009 12:35 AM | Report abuse

I missed the majority of the game (stupid retirement dinners...), so I would like to know what Balester looked like. I was listening on XM to the bottom of the 4th inning and seems he was hit hard, but to the outfielders.

Posted by: TimDz | July 29, 2009 12:40 AM | Report abuse

Communication is key, JMad. Without that, no learning can occur. Even if you're not overtly teaching, you can still influence a player. Manny was bankrupt in personality, experience.

Posted by: Brue | July 29, 2009 12:09 AM

well said Brue.

-------------------

Posted by: Juan-John | July 29, 2009 12:25 AM

but but but....*insert generic and ridiculous Lou Pinella reference*

-------------------------

...speaks volumes.

Posted by: HotNats | July 29, 2009

yes, yes it does.

curious, is the re-hire Manny movement still in effect here on NJ? I've been on vacation, so I haven't really been up on things.

Posted by: MrMadison | July 29, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse

I was in the re-hire Manny movement up until this last game. Now I'm not so sure. Having a local boy coach the local team is starting to grow on me.

Posted by: Juan-John | July 29, 2009 1:20 AM | Report abuse

NATS! having nothing to lose is the best way to start winning

Posted by: formerlylove1 | July 29, 2009 2:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Juan-John | July 29, 2009 1:20 AM

*******************************************************

Me too, Juan-John, as is a 4 game winning streak, although pitching matchup tomorrow night it tough. What a shot by Dunn!

I'm glad the armchair GM's have been ignored so far so that we can have some watchable baseball to spice up the summer. And yes, we need some .500 teams to watch - like in 2005 - while this inevitable march to the world series occurs. Having a less than 1 out of 3 shot at seeing the home team win at home has got to stop. It's great to have a center fielder who can catch a ball. Kudos to Frank Rizzo for that trade - and give him the GM job.

Posted by: flynnie321 | July 29, 2009 4:07 AM | Report abuse

Jerry DiPoto, the Diamondbacks' director of scouting and player personnel, has emerged as a frontrunner for the Washington Nationals' general-manager job, SI.com reported.

Posted by: nova_g_man | July 29, 2009 5:47 AM | Report abuse

So why is DiPoto superior to Rizzo? Is he more sexy?

Here is the question every gm candidate should be forced to answer--would you have traded your projected star young outfielder and your closer who can throw 97 mph for a 29 year old no power outfielder and a lefty reliever not too far from TJ surgery? Most general managers probably would not have made the trade but Rizzo had a sense of the intangibles that lurked beneath the surface of this deal. How do you evaluate that in the hiring process? Rizzo seems to have a sense of the team chemistry that is like what a good cook has when sampling the seasoning of his soup. The DFAs have been legitimate, the trades have not hurt the team. The contrast between what Rizzo and Bowden had in terms of viewing the makeup of this team is very clear. Kasten and the Lerners should go ahead and take the "interim" out of Rizzo's title.

Right now I am liking (a lot) Riggleman's style of managing. I can see a more open offense--more hit and runs, more base stealing, more aggression. I like the extra time spent on defensive drills. I like the chewing out the team got after the first Padres game. I like McCatty, Eckstein and Listach as well--no weak links there. This team is not playing with the cloak of losing that was so evident not long ago. Manny could not "manage" this team. IMO Manny deserved a pass for last year with all the injuries. This year was a truer marker for his record as a manager. The talent to play much better than the record is there, Riggleman seems to have found a way to harness it.

Posted by: driley | July 29, 2009 6:49 AM | Report abuse

Post (lack of) coverage comment (OT):NFL football and international swim meets are the Post's meat-and-potatoes in the sports section the last couple of days. Two lead "stories" (actually propaganda courtesy of Dan Snider) from Redskins Park and a story and a thumbsucker from Rome on the goings-on at the controversial swim meet. I understand the Redskins deal, but all this coverage of a swim suit debacle?

Meanwhile, Willingham's record blasts merited a p. 1 headline and an inside black-and-white photo on Tuesday, and NO follow-up coverage in today's paper. Couldn't we at least have been granted a color photo of the celebration at Miller Park? No matter that something this historic from a baseball perspective is unlikely to be repeated in the history of Washington baseball.

I don't get it.

Posted by: JohnRDC | July 29, 2009 6:51 AM | Report abuse

> I don't get it.

The Washington Post. Maybe you should join the rest of us and quit getting it.

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | July 29, 2009 7:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section109 | July 29, 2009 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Just for good fun everyone should read any of the Brewer's blogs. There is nothing so enjoyable as being able to see another team fall off the ledge--for a change.

In the glass half full department the contrast between the Brewers' starting pitching and our own Nats is amazing. The value of a staff of promissing young arms can never be discounted and somehow in this 100 loss season gets underplayed.

I have been a trade Adam Dunn proponent in the past but am I seeing a new Adam Dunn emerge? What is with this guy who is able to stroke singles when needed, runs himself into the left field wall to make a sliding catch and is not striking out 3 times a game? Plus he has not made an error in, uhh, nevermind. This Dunn is a lot easier to envision being on the team for another year. Please Adam, keep this side of your personality in the alpha position and don't let the other one out--ok?

Posted by: driley | July 29, 2009 7:42 AM | Report abuse

The Washington Post. They don't get it. Why should you?

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | July 29, 2009 7:43 AM | Report abuse

Michael Phelps lost for the first time in five years. He should be on the cover.

Re-hire Manny? Was there ever a re-hire Manny movement? If so, I missed it. I remain part of the "shouldn't have fired" club, but re-hiring would be even worse than firing.

Manny also had a four-game winning streak, the second week of June. Manny also had very little Nyjer, Tavarez, Colome, and so on. So, I hope that it is Jim Riggelman that makes the difference. But given the personnel moves and Riggleman's history, I remain skeptical.

Still, go Nats!

Posted by: Section506 | July 29, 2009 7:44 AM | Report abuse

"I am beyond annoyed that the Post chose to put today's gamer on D5. We're having a terrific run and they think it's more important to have a huge color photo of Michael Phelps? Listen Post, I am a *subscriber of the dead trees edition* and I want Nats coverage on p. 1 during the season. BTW, did everyone notice that after the Sunday game our winning percentage finally went over .300?"

Oh, wait, was this snark? Because if so, it is absolutely brilliant!

Posted by: Section506 | July 29, 2009 7:46 AM | Report abuse

This is a joy to watch. Competitive baseball,not sleepwalking on a baseball diamond. I'm hoping Zimm,Morgan,Dunn,a healthy Flores and Willingham are the core we keep together.

Posted by: ridgely1 | July 29, 2009 7:55 AM | Report abuse

It's a shame the atrocious bullpen and defense let us down earlier in the season. (And all the errors.) We'd be at least around .500... we are not as bad as our record indicates :/ But it's great to know and see that this team is capable of playing well and winning.

Posted by: rachel216 | July 29, 2009 7:59 AM | Report abuse

So now that we don't have the team to complain (at least temporairly) about we're b****ing about the Post? Good plan. :-)

Posted by: twinbrook | July 29, 2009 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Which Dunn blast was more impressive....last night's monster shot at Miller Park or the missle he hit in Citi Field (in May I believe)? He's bringing back memories of the Capitol Punisher, albeit from the opposite side of the plate. Dunn is at 26 with two months to go and is right on pace for another 40 HR season. I can't see any reason why we'd trade him at this point unless someone overwhelms the Nats with an offer.

Posted by: VaNat | July 29, 2009 8:06 AM | Report abuse

... I liked Manny and his ways. But I gotta say, Jimmy Riggs is getting results, so props to him and the team.

... and now, in the midst of this great turn-around, I want to offer the following:

Go Nats!!

Posted by: natscanreduxit | July 29, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Nyjer Morgan also tied the Nationals team record for most hits in a month, 35 hits. Go Nyjer! And GO Nats!

Posted by: rachel216 | July 29, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

@506: "Was there ever a re-hire Manny movement? If so, I missed it."

Well yeah, I think you could call all those people who signed each and every post for about two weeks "Re-hire Manny" part of that movement. Not sure about that, but I think so.

They were, of course, wrong.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | July 29, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

How anyone was in the rehire Manny mode is beyond me,i mean this guy was clueless in terms of baseball 101, he didn't inspire confidence or anything close to it.I liked Manny as a person but as a major league manager not so much,Riggs is not my choice for next year but if he keeps winning........GO NATS!!!.

Posted by: dargregmag | July 29, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

I guess the Brewers are just gonna have to suck on it and like it

Posted by: Kev29 | July 29, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

It could, of course, all fall apart again, but the difference you see is a team that is ready to play. The one game after the Cubs series that they weren't ready to play Riggleman got all over them. You may notice that outfielders are hitting cutoff men; the second and third cutoff men are no longer standing 10 feet from each other - they now look like they know how to line up; pitchers are being allowed to go more than five or six, not stretching the bullpen as far; they finally hid Belliard's firstbaseman's mitt (sorry, one of my big - no pun intended - Manny complaints); they are putting pressure on the other team, even when they are down a run or two rather than playing statue baseball; and on and on and on. Whether he's really a better manager (I think he is) or if it is just a different voice, this move came at least six weeks later than it should have.

Posted by: truke | July 29, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

I'll admit it - I was in the "I think it's too late to fire Manny and have it make a difference" crowd ... and based on this very small sample I appear to have been wrong.

For me, the big test will be how well the Nats play against the Phillies and Marlins, who have OWNED them this year. If the team looks more respectable against Philly and, you know, actually *beats* the Marlins a few times I'll be a believer.

Posted by: diogenes_quixote | July 29, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

"[Acta] wasn't a big talker. He talked to us once in a while, but maybe this is what the team needed."......I am not going to demand apologies like someone else on the NJ but I think this just says it all. I personally wanted Jimbo and Acta fired at the end of last year. I went to the season ticket holder Lunch (best $35 I ever spent on Nats) and walked away knowing Acta was not ready to manage at the MLB level.

I remember distinctly him belittling a fan for his question about playing a little small ball, you know the guy said, hit and run, give yourself up and move a runner over, bunt some for a hit...." Acta lit him up sounding some like Allen Iverson's rant about practice....Acta went on and on the rest of the lunch saying "small ball"? Some guy wants us to play "small ball"?.

Mostly I liked Acta when I talked to him at functions like this or down at Spring training but but he never would change his approach even when it was clear it was not working. I recall talking to two of the new coaches in Minor League Camp about defense Drills and both gave the distict impression that Manny was not into that sort of work.

With his bud Omar of the Mets clearly on his way out in flames.....it will be a very long time indeed before he gets another managers job. He may well need to go to the Minor Leagues for any type of job as the facts about how poor a job he did hear come out over the next few months.

All that said.....I am now officially over Acta (yet I am still mad at all the wasted time and loses that should have been prevented by just doing what needed to be done at the end of last year. Fire Jimbo and Acta last Sept and where would this team be now?)

Posted by: JayBeee | July 29, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

> Fire Jimbo and Acta last Sept and where would this team be now?

Last place.

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | July 29, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

ABM,

Yet another new signon ID....I think the number of things had we have disagreed on over the past two years and that time has shown who was right......demands you keep changing ID's each month....enjoy.

Posted by: JayBeee | July 29, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I'm a regular on this blog and I don't remember anybody posting a "Re-hire Manny" note. There were people like me who think the manager is basically irrelevant in winning. It comes down to talent.

I'm really happy to see the team winning and give Riggleman a lot of the credit. Good work by a solid old pro. Of course, I think Nyjer Morgan may be even more important than Riggleman in causing this winning streak, but whatever. I'm just glad to see it. Sure beats losing.

I'm just not going to let a good week cloud the overall picture. It's a last place team that, as Chico points out, is going to stay in last place. Some good young players here, but not enough. Not enough good young players ready to help in the next year or so. So let's see what happens in the next couple of days to make the team better and then we'll go from there.

Posted by: baltova1 | July 29, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

______________________________________________________________

cough, cough...Nats Lady...cough, cough.

Posted by: Section505203 | July 29, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

So how well does Mr. Chatty have to do the rest of this year to get re-upped for next year? Avoid 100 losses? That would require him going 31-31 the rest of the way. Admittedly a bit of a stretch for someone with a lifetime .445 record in 10 years as a manager, but hey, he could pull it off. Then do you give him a Dave Trembley contract to manage the rebuilding for the next 3 or 4 years? Anything less would be an insult to a great managerial talent, right?

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | July 29, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Great stuff JayBeee.

Nice to see the optimism bubbling off of a 4 game streak. Tastes like koolaid.

The GM, manager and pitching coach changes have really helped this club. Without leadership, the players didn't have anyone to turn to when they were drowning. "Rudderless," is the word (to quote an infamous agent).

For me, the difference was pretty stark: Rizzo --- off the bat --- saw that Milledge didn't fit. And he moved him as fast as he could (getting a HUGE GAME CHANGER in Morgan). Remember Acta: "Milledge is my center fielder".

Riggleman stepped up. Communication. Let the guys know what's expected in the MLB.

Tell you what: Nyjer Morgan is my center fielder.

Let's go for 5!!!

Posted by: nattydread1 | July 29, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I agree that Rizzo needs to trade or turn vets into Type B FA Picks. If he fails to do one of these with Nick and Joe B then he fails at his most important part of the job he is auditioning for.

I would not be in as big a hurry to trade Dunn and Willingham as I think they both will bring Type A and Type B picks when the time comes for them to move on.

I would trade Willie Harris for whatever you can get. I would do a Jose Vidro deal to get something of value for Guzman, likely they will have to each half of the contract. Kearns and Belliard are not trade-able. I would trade

Posted by: JayBeee | July 29, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

ABM,

I would NOT rehire Riggs for 2010. He knows it, he is just a good baseball man who hatted to see players waste their talent and disrespect the game and the opportunity they have been given and that thousands of Minor Leaguer will never get.

New Manager next year for sure is what called for......Since Rigs will work for cheap......who knows what the Lerner's will do.

Posted by: JayBeee | July 29, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

going forward i see little reason to trade dunn and willingham. our pitching just needs seasoning. our offense looks capable. centerfield and leadoff looks resolved for the time being.

i want a longterm piece in the middle infield and strasburg. not sure our offense can maintain this level over a full season but it's a huge improvement over last year either way.

Posted by: longterm | July 29, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

> Bowden bequeathed Lastings to Acta, OK, but Acta was unable to see or change the reality he inherited.

As bad as Milledge was as a centerfielder, he was still better than having no one out there at all, wasn't he? Really, wasn't that the choice Bowden (and Rizzo too, since he was GM on Opening Day) gave Acta?

Elijah Dukes, you say? Well, you can't praise Rizzo on the one hand for getting rid of Bowden's detritus while claiming as your solution to the CF problem someone that Rizzo started pushing out the door the day after he was finally able to get rid of Milledge.

Acta may not have been a good manager, but the whole Milledge debacle was neither his choice nor his fault.

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | July 29, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

@EdDC (July 18): "I support the Re-hire Manny Movement."

As far as I can tell, this is when the Movement was given a name.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | July 29, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe Nyjer's "sexy at the dish" quote is not getting more play in the Nationals Journal this morning. Sexy at the dish? I mean, a few thoughts. First, that's a great name for a band. Second, it would be a great name for a horse. Third, it would make a great t-shirt. Fourth, it's a great shorthand for any game where the Nats' bats come out. "Man, they were sexy at the dish tonight!"

Nyjer Morgan just made my morning. Thank you, Nyjer.

Posted by: Section220 | July 29, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Nats could go 40-22 over the last 62 and the WAPO will relegate them to a passing glance on page D-5. Don't forget the most over-hyped, over-played and over-the-top act opens its doors in Ashland today. No shortage of third string punters or defensive ends that will require 4 pages of endless interviews.

Posted by: TippyCanoe | July 29, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I was down two days and am normally out the weekends, but I don't recall a single re-hire Manny post. That's not to say they didn't happen, as some of you have shown they did, it just means that it was hardly a movement. Unless by the Alice's Restaurant definition.

Posted by: Section506 | July 29, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

-longterm
Grant Green was injured when he was drafted, I think. That dropped his value tremendously, while I wouldn't mind getting infielding prospects because the only ones we have are Espinosa and Kobernus. Heck, I was dancing in the streets when we drafted Kobernus. But I think Drew Storen will work out nicely he had another nice outing yesterday closing out a 9th inning with 2 strikeouts and he has A+ attitude. I can't argue with drafting Smoak over Crow, I agree 100% there.

Posted by: hleeo3 | July 29, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

"Sexy at the dish?"

Fifth, if he stops hitting so well he's going to get a lot of hate around here. I hope he keeps doing well, because I think it's hilarious how he's not eligible to be cast in Pride of the Yankees.

Posted by: Section506 | July 29, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

"just to go backwards a little bit, i still wish we had drafted justin smoak over aaron crow and grant green over storen. those guys would fit in nicely here."

Real quick here, longterm: remember that it would have to be just one of those guys. Crow and Storen were selected with the same pick.

Posted by: Scooter_ | July 29, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Willie Harris in CF is a far better choice than Lastings.

My point about Acta is that he was unable to deal with bad attitudes. He was way to quiet and neutral.

The management that wins games is off-the-field. Like the daily meetings Riggleman has after games. Setting targets, acceptable playing behavior. On this Acta was pretty quiet.

When he did make decisions, they lacked leadership --- like when he gave Milledge the leadoff CF spot after he notoriously missed a team meeting (because of his "birthday") OR when he docked Dukes after Dukes came late from a little league function (obviously an excusable offense).

Posted by: nattydread1 | July 29, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

"Sexy at the dish" = gotta be one of the greatest Nat's quote ever.

Posted by: hleeo3 | July 29, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Wrong ABM,

The whole Milledge "debacle" (which you were completely wrong about at the time by the way) was Acta's doing. He was the one who did nothing when he showed up last. He was the one who said nothing when Milledge said he did not need practice. He was the one who put Milledge in the Lead Off spot when Milledge said he knew taking pitches and walking was not for him. The list is endless of how poorly Acta managed Milledge.

Harris could well have been used in CF as could have Langerhans. Dukes was OK as a once and a while solution in CF when he was hitting.

Bottom line is it is tough to tell how many problems were caused by keeping Jimbo and Acta past Sept of last year. Recall you said the whole Jimbo Stan and Learner Tirade was working just as it should and you regularly shouted down anyone who called it dysfunctional.

Recall you regularly said the Lerners were not being cheap but rather just good businessmen.....now we know the real effect of such a poor evaluation of last September's status qou.

Posted by: JayBeee | July 29, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

If the Nats fire Riggleman after this year when his chatty act runs thin, remember they still hold the option on a replacement manager for next year. Ask and ye shall receive. I read that somewhere.

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | July 29, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Sixth, "Sexy at the Dish," would be a great name for a cocktail. Something involving bourbon, clearly. I may have to work on this.

Posted by: Section220 | July 29, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

scooter, good point regarding 9/a pick, one or the other.

i still do like storen. not trying to downplay him. and i can understand picking him there.

"sexy at the dish" should definitely be the running headline.

i'd even go so far as to say lannan is "Sexy Toe'n the Rubber"

Posted by: longterm | July 29, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I might add to the Acta/Milledge debate that Manny was the one who was so in favor of Bowden making the trade in the first place. He was Manny's boy. Trying to paint it any other way just ignores the facts.

Posted by: truke | July 29, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

"The Washington Post. They don't get it. Why should you?"

It serves its purpose in our family in facilitating early morning hygiene, if you get my drift. . .

Posted by: JohnRDC | July 29, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Overblown generalizations about "those people" on NJ are all the rage, 506. Doesn't matter whether it was one or two people. It's a movement. Get it?

---

Posted by: Section506 | July 29, 2009 10:03 AM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 29, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

OK, I give up. What's that mean?
********************
Posted by: Section506 | July 29, 2009 10:04 AM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 29, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Maybe substitute "now" for "not"?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 29, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

That makes a lot more sense than my best guess, 1a.

Posted by: Scooter_ | July 29, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse