Nats' GM Uncertainties a Concern for Strasburg

The Washington Nationals have roughly 24 days remaining to sign Stephen Strasburg, the pitcher they selected first overall in the June draft. As negotiations intensify in the coming weeks, the team's efforts to sign the high-profile pitcher could be undermined by several high-profile questions about the team's leadership, a source familiar with the negotations indicated.

Since March, the Nationals have been operating without a permanent general manager; since the all-star break, they've been operating with an interim manager. In recent conversations, those in the Strasburg camp have expressed concern to Washington's managing principal owner, Ted Lerner, about what the source called a "rudderless" organization. According to the source, who declined to be identified because of the ongoing negotiations, Washington's system of interim leadership is a point of particular worry for Strasburg, particularly because the right-hander's development will be entrusted to a yet-undetermined pitching philosophy.

"They're setting a record about not selecting a GM," the source said. "Why would you ever want to go to an unknown? They're the only team in baseball that offers an unknown."

Since Jim Bowden resigned, Mike Rizzo has been running the Nationals' major league operations as the acting general manager. But Mark Lerner, one of the team's principal owners, told MLB.com in a recent interview: "We have a responsibility to conduct a proper search for both [the GM and managerial] positions, and that may entail going beyond our own gates. We will not be rushed or pressured into a decision that so significantly affects our future."

Asked on Friday about the timetable for selecting a permanent general manager, president Stan Kasten said, "You know I'm not talking about any aspect of that search."

If Strasburg and his advisor, Scott Boras, are uneasy about the Nationals' direction, they have limited recourse. If a deal does not get done by the Aug. 17 deadline, Strasburg -- in the most conventional scenario -- can play a year of independent ball and reenter the draft in 2010. Though the Nationals will again have the No. 1 pick, Strasburg can deny permission for them to re-draft him.

If the Nationals fail to sign Strasburg, they would also receive a 2010 a compensatory pick -- "1B," if you will. But Strasburg, after missing the Nationals, could be selected by the next team, potentially the San Diego Padres, who have the second-worst record in baseball right now. Strasburg was raised in San Diego and attended San Diego State.

By Chico Harlan  |  July 24, 2009; 6:41 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lineups From Nats Park
Next: Padres 6, Nats 2

Comments

"Besides, we save money by letting Rizzo be his own assistant GM," said Lerner.

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 24, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

speaking of everyone's favorite interim GM, grandpa boz had a cogent appraisal of his acumen in yesterday's chat....

"The only one who "gets it" -- maybe -- is Rizzo who is a hard-eyed, old-school second-generation scout who knows talent (or in the Nats case the lack of it) when he sees it. He has said, ever since he was first allowed to open his mouth after March 1, that the 2 1/2 yrs before Bowden left were a complete pile of $%^#& and a lot of it needed to be torn down. Not "start over" but rethink a lot of things -- like sending Milledge down, then trading him and sending Dukes down. Both were touted by Bowden and Kasten as potential 5-to-10 year solutions based on their projected talent. Rizzo saw Milledge as an average offensive corner outfielder with no shot ever to be a decent center fielder -- plus a bad attitude. get ride of him while he still had trade value. And he got so mad after Milledge showedup late for his surgery that I hear he got Milledge and his agent on a three-phone call, blew Lastings up and probably decided right t6hen, "Gone." While others day-dreamed about Dukes, Rizzo wondered if a guy with a bone-on-bone knee, aweakness for low-outside breaking balls would ever be more than just "good." If your ceiling is decently high, but far from stratospheric, and you're not a center fielder, then your attitude has to be good or you have little value. By sending Dukes down, he was essentialkly saying: prove that your attitude can be good under all circumstances because our evaluation of your talent/durability has gone down quite a bit. We're rooting for you, but we're not wedded to you. All this is my interpretation, not gospel truth."

Posted by: surly_w | July 24, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like Stank needs to suck on it and like it.

Posted by: Brue | July 24, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Why is it that the organization (and not necessarily because of decent enough baseball men like Rizzo, Acta, and Riggleman) appears to be even worst ( or evolving as expected ) than it was when it was owner-less with Bowden as its "rudder"?

Posted by: periculum | July 24, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Blah, blah, blah. As much as the Devil incarnate wants to break the MLB draft system, his bottom line has always been to get his clients signed. Negotiations will warm up the 1st week of August, then get serious between the 10th & 16th.

I also think the team will commit to Rizzo as GM, but not until the end of the season. The Lerners' may feel like they've been burned on "feel-good" contracts with players (see DaMeat & Kearns), so they're waiting to review the body of work from Rizzo before making the call. Or, as others have said, maybe they're just cheap.

Posted by: BinM | July 24, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for the insight, Boras. Rudderless indeed.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | July 24, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

BinM,

Probably both ... cautious because they've been burned by Bowden! The Domenican thing, plus DaMeat and Kearns. And I would say frugal ... I can't call them cheap after offering Texiera pretty good money to sign on the dotted line. They may reach that point but right now, even if they are in close orbit of the Galaxy of Cheap they haven't entered it yet.

Posted by: periculum | July 24, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

BinM

Agreed. The owners probably want to wait before anointing Rizzo. Also remember, more than $22 million in contracts come off the books afyet the final out, barring any in-season trades, and that could further buttress Rizzo's chance of getting the permanent job.

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 24, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for the insight, Boras. Rudderless indeed.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | July 24, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: surly_w | July 24, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

BTW: A 'Jasno' like snippet on NI? Hopefully no impending feud with the Lerners ... they have much more money and influence in the DC are than Danny boy.

Posted by: periculum | July 24, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

baltova1,

You think (from last thread) that KC might be even cheaper than the Nats? Please see:

Posted by: EdDC | July 24, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

As Chico has already written, the best advice is to ignore all comments from either camp. It's all posturing, an attempt by Boras to drive up the price. At the end of the day, the Nats will sign the player or he will sit out a year and try again in 2010.

I have my doubts that the Nats can sign Strasberg only because I have a feeling Boras will not be reasonble in his demands. I'd be willing to go as high as $15 million (although I'd argue that's too much, considering the history of #1 draft picks - especially pitchers) but that may not be enough.

If the team doesn't sign SS, it's a bit of a PR disaster. I'm with StanK though, it makes no sense for the team to destroy the draft system for the sake of a single player. I think everyone agrees Strasberg is the "real deal" a genuine talent, who has a chance to be special. I hope most people also understand that there's a possibility he'll never amount to much of anything, simply because the odds against any player are so high.

I want the team to sign this player. I don't want them to give Boras a blank contract though. One thing I do wish is that we didn't have to read and listen to all the foolishness that will surround the negotiations for another 24 days.

I agree with Gammons. If a draftee truly wants to play, it shouldn't take 2 months to sign a contract. Boras is just playing games, trying to hit the jackpot. I'll be very happy when this saga is over.

Posted by: grforbes | July 24, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

"when did Nationals Journal become Ridiculum's Rantings? i must have missed the memo.

Posted by: surly_w | July 24, 2009"

Looks to me like surly's the red-finned tuna's blatherings ... noting the gigantic "run-on" in comment # 2.

Posted by: periculum | July 24, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

careful grforbes ... surly becomes quite petulant when you misspell strasburg ... :)

Posted by: periculum | July 24, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Guzman breaks out of his slump with a homer against the prospect pitcher. Still no walks for Mock ... hoping to see that continue.

Posted by: periculum | July 24, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

I want to personally Thank the Lerner family, mainly Uncle Teddy, and StanK for giving the DC area after 34 years of waiting the most embarrassing, miserably run, Titanic of organization.

This area has waited along time for this gentlemen I want to thank you for the horrible job you have done.

It has depressed me to the core and I enjoy baseball a little less now because of your efforts.

Posted by: Section505203 | July 24, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Eh, this is just SS and SB throwing out all the reasons why he "shouldn't" sign so that they can squeeze out more money from the Nots. It's just one of many negotiating ploys that they'll use.

Posted by: cmecyclist | July 24, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BinM | July 24, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

wow section505203,

that's a pretty damning epistle ...

If I were the owner that one would get to me ...

Posted by: periculum | July 24, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Honestly the.team is supposed to hire a gl because Strasburg wants them to? He'll forget all this if he gets enough money.

Posted by: raymitten | July 24, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Who cares about the Natinals? I find myself rooting for more Loses and maybe a historically bad record. When you talk about the worst franchises in sports history the Natinals are right there along side the Bungals and Clippers. They remind me of the Bullets of old. You have no choice but to advertise the opposing teams players b/c their players suck donkey D&^#! Did you see the Cubs series. Maybe 90-10 in terms of Cubs fans to Natinals fans. Do us all a favor...stop supporting this team. Heck, the Post could save money if they decided the team isn't even worth reporting on. Wouldn't bother me. Keep on losing.

Posted by: oneft2dice | July 24, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

What a load of cr-p. It would make a difference for a Free Agent but we are talking a Draft Pick.

I ain't buying it. What's next for Boras, complain they won't let Teddy win the race?

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | July 24, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

@binM; @surly & periculum (and others, myself included): Play nice - This is a great forum for all of the blogosphere to discuss all things Nationals. Please stop goading or making it personal.

Seconded. This is getting old.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | July 24, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Mock settles down.

Posted by: periculum | July 24, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

It's tiime for Riggles to staret ripping people a new one for lackadasical play starting with Mock and Dunn -- inexcusable performance by both. And why do the fans sit quietly for this sloppy play -- START BOOING these bums. I grew up in KC and thought the fans were pretty quiet there but Nats fans take the cake. Let them know when they suck!!

Nice Manny Sanguillen impression by Guzzie with the dinger on a fastball up in his eyes.

Posted by: SackMan | July 24, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

@GGG: No, probably something being "leaked" to an ESPN mouthpiece about how the Nationals initial offer was "far below what we had hoped, and not worth bringing forward to my client". The Nationals may not negotiate contracts in the public forum, but the Devil incarnate (and his minions) are not above such tactics.

Posted by: BinM | July 24, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Memo to Riggles: Add Bard to tonight's fecal roster. Get out that 2 X 4 and start swinging!!

Posted by: SackMan | July 24, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

so I get home and see we have 3 errors in 4 innings?

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 24, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

There is no lower piece of cr$p on this earth than a "source" that refuses to be named!!! Shame on you Washington Post for being a party to this sham!! The Nats have stated that they refuse to negotiate through the media, yet you give credibility to a source who doesn't have the guts to let you use his name!!!
Hey Strasburg, unless you get your act together and pitch like your agent says you can, you are going to see a whole array of managers and pitching coaches as you bounce around the minors!!

Posted by: dkidwell61 | July 24, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

@Nats_Lady: Mock's error was a valid call (high throw pulled AGonz off the bag on a force); Dunn's error seemed a little cheap (ball rolled under his glove on a sharp liner past RZim, but is was a misplay). The third error on Bard was just piling on by the official scorer, imo (dropped a foul ball 30+ feet up the 3rd-base line from a sliding position).

Posted by: BinM | July 24, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

I dont know what is worse, watching the Nats play defense or situational hitting. I have no confidence they will every get a big hit. Dunn hitting into another double play. Ugh.

Posted by: JT2009 | July 24, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

@BinM: Thanks. Hard to tell from the radio calls, esp. since they couldn't see Dunn's play from their vantage point.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 24, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Tsk, tsk, my bad I cannot spell. Actually, I have a feeling this is subconscious. I have trouble spelling Strasburg because I'm torn in my feelings toward the player. I'd like the team to sign him and I'd like to see if he can help the Nats win. At the same time, thanks to Boras, he's already starting to annoy me. (Since when to players get to choose their GM, except when they're free agents?)

My biggest worry is that the Nats will sign SS, he won't live up to the hype, and then we'll start referring to him as Strasboob.

Posted by: grforbes | July 24, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

No walks ... I think McCatty looks like the right guy for these kids.

Posted by: periculum | July 24, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Two nice plays in an inning! Great!

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 24, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

5 hits 1 walk ... "Bally Star" did not look ready but the rest of these guys seem to be following the same dictum. I see improvement in spite of the negative cloud surrounding this team ...

My God, Mark Lerner, this is the one city in the world that where it would be best NOT TO have a negative cloud floating over it. You need to either sell the team or do your job!

Posted by: periculum | July 24, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

@grforbes: Forget the hype, and try to ignore the bonus $$$. Try to think of Strasburg as just another SP in the warm embrace of the Nationals for the next four years, once he's signed. He'll have an opportunity in the spring of 2010 to show his stuff, and we'll go forward from there.

Posted by: BinM | July 24, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Mock is reaching his "danger zone" (third time through the lineup). Riggleman needs to get the b'pen up & warming.

Posted by: BinM | July 24, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Only the Lerners can make Peter Angelos look good.

Posted by: muddapucker | July 24, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

This is frustrating - Can the FO now see that Mock is a AAA SP, but currently only a MR at the MLB level? He has 4 pitches, but lacks the location with his off-speed stuff that would make him an effective starter at the top level.

Posted by: BinM | July 24, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

SS should only be concerned with putting a record signing bonus in his bank account and starting his professional career. I know I am not breaking any new ground here, but Boras is an A-Hole and puts HIS best interests above those of his clients. I am kind of hoping we do not get the first pick next year and have to do this all over again.

Posted by: chris88 | July 24, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Mock is the best they have right now ... Syracuse started Kown tonight. He either develops or he doesn't. They do have guys in "A" ball that will move up.

Posted by: periculum | July 24, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BinM | July 24, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Rudderless is right, but I'm curious about why Boras thinks that insulting Ted Lerner would in any way help in his negotiations with the Nats.

(This is a similar tactic to Hillary refering to the North Koreans as unruly children, will Boras be appearing in public wearing an orange jump suit next?)

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | July 24, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Yes. With Olsen and Z'nn out, they are bringng up whoever has an arm hanging off a shoulder. Don't think you can criticize that too much, what's left will lose at the 18-1 rate...

However, I guess the pitchers should have taken infield practice.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 24, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I'm good. Dribble agrees with me--pitchers take practice tomorrow.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 24, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Did I hear Ron Diddle challenge someone he called Blog Lady and the rest of the broadcast team to run the President's race during the game? I believe I did! What was that all about?

Posted by: poncedeleroy | July 24, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Lannan might stay in the rotation ... but don't expect them to keep Stammen going if they feel they don't have to. They may shut him down too.

Posted by: periculum | July 24, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Bermann is mad at Carpenter for pointing out that he gives up runs in the second inning. B says he is a starter so he can go more than 1 inning.
W
hat does he do tonight, give up a run in his second inning pitched.
Bergmann, you are neather a starter or an adequate reliever in the majors.

Posted by: alm1000 | July 24, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 24, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

By moving Wilkie to work "closer" with Zinicola in Syracuse they've made room for Storen in Harrisburg if he shows he is too much for Advanced "A" hitters. Holder is moving faster than expected as well.

Hopefully Rizzo isn't being pressured to push too hard. It is what it is when it comes to the Nats. Best thing to do is keep building the farms while keeping an eye out for beneficial trades that might come down the pike.

These owners are none too savvy when it comes to baseball hopefully it won't end up ripping the franchise to pieces in the end.

Posted by: periculum | July 24, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Perc, yeah, I'm thinking kind of the same. The Nats are not going for the playoffs, they don't need to rush to bring up kids that aren't ready.

@alm1000: where was that interview with Bergmann? I missed it.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 24, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Carpenter just talked about it on air.

Posted by: alm1000 | July 24, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

"Perc, don't you think they will keep Stammen in the rotation during August? Shut him down in Sept?

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 24, 2009"

If he and Lannan keep pitching close to complete games as they have been doing, yes.

Except for the wild pitch, the walk, and the error Mock wasn't all that bad. He gave them 5-6 good innings given what Mock had behind him.

In the end this is not a good team people ...

Posted by: periculum | July 24, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

EdDC, late in responding to your point about KC's payroll. That's fair but I think we're still talking about degrees of cheapness and Glass has been doing it that way for more than a decade. The Lerners have plenty of time to match that performance...

Oh, good, Kearns is up.

Posted by: baltova1 | July 24, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Kearns walks ... I like it.

Posted by: periculum | July 24, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

BTW, this "no GM is a problem" story is a great PR ploy by Boras. It just increases the public pressure on the Nats and builds on their image in the national media as a clueless, cheap organization. It may not mean anything in the long run, but it's a good story placement.

Also, how much will "saving" $500,000 by not agreeing to Crow's demands last year cost the Nats this year if they choose to overpay Strasburg? Mind you, from what we know about the agents' demands, the Nats may have been right in not agreeing to them, but now they may have to pay Strasburg millions more to avoid losing two straight #1 picks.

Ouch, way to takeo one for the team, Willie. C'mon, Cristian, shock us with another dinger.

Posted by: baltova1 | July 24, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Come on Guzzie...deliver a big hit here!

Posted by: BGinVA | July 24, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

OK, now that's some Nats pitching. Oh, wait, that's the Padres' pitcher walking and hitting our guys.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 24, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

dammit. Guz looked HORRIBLE with that at-bat.

Posted by: BGinVA | July 24, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

(Shaking head).

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 24, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

And that's why Guzman is *NOT* a #2 hitter.

Posted by: periculum | July 24, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 24, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse
*******************************************

Yeah, but it doesn't matter because our offense sucks and can't deliver a clutch hit.

Posted by: BGinVA | July 24, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, my attention wandered and I missed Bergmann's assessment of his talent...

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 24, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Fielding practice before games? Four errors in this one ...

Posted by: periculum | July 24, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Morse 1 for 2. Desmond up to .357 2 stolen bases, 1 off of Kip Wells.

Saul Rivera losing to Kip Wells.

Desmond sure looks like a #2 hitter or lead off.

Posted by: periculum | July 24, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

It may be time to move Erik Arneson up to Syracuse and perhaps a late season call up? That should bolster Syracuse's starting rotation. Probably move someone from Potomac to replace him.

Posted by: periculum | July 24, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm calling it now.... SS will NOT sign this season. And, he will not give permission for the Nats to pick him next season. Which means in he'll probably end up being drafted by San Diego and signing a contract before the end of Day 1 of the draft. At least we'll have the top 2 picks next season. Of course, if *they* don't sign.....

Posted by: kingrob76 | July 24, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Att is 23K?? They sure didn't come to the park.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 24, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Please can someone who knows: When everyone mentions the money that it will take to sign Strasburg ($15-$30 million), what does that exactly mean? Is that the signing "bonus" or is that for "X" number of years? If it is for the years, what would be his signing bonus?

Thanks...

Posted by: NickfromGermantown | July 24, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

that is his signing bonus. He would make the league min. when he reaches the majors until he signs a major league contract, ie Zimmerman or when he in arbitration

Posted by: wrw0601 | July 24, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Boras wants 50-60 mil. the same he got Dice K. Mark Prior is the highest ever with 10.5. So baseball people think Boras will get somewhere between 15-30 million to play in the minor leagues. Which is why the Nats feel like they would need to get him to the Majors-a return on their investment.

Posted by: wrw0601 | July 24, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

wrw0601: Thanks so much! Wow...I also wonder if the signing bonus is guaranteed? Even if he gets hurt? Also, can the Nats be "forced" by Boras to give him more than the league minimum? How long could his initial contract be?

Posted by: NickfromGermantown | July 24, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

BS!!! More Boras BS

Posted by: johnbear1 | July 24, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

the money is guranteed, even if he blows out his elbow his first year in the minors. his major league salary would be whether or not Boras has negotiated a contract before his first major league game. His initial contract I assume would be for 4-5 years, after he has played 2-3 years at the league min. So in theory we could lock up SS for 6-8 years before he gets FA money.

Posted by: wrw0601 | July 24, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

I find it amazing that Scott Boras is so successful given that his press release prattling is so transparent.

Posted by: soundbloke | July 24, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

wrw0601: Thanks again! Sure is a lot of guranteed money for a high risk! I think I understand more of the process now.

Posted by: NickfromGermantown | July 24, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Now let me get this straight the Padres are the worst hitting team in all of baseball(.232) yet they come in here and pound out ten hits and of course we help em out with four errors; and they are playing in a different time zone!! but hey we're in the twilight zone. Ted Lerner and Stan Kasten talk some much bull sh#t they can't keep their respective stories straight, they ain't got no plan let me correct that statement they got a plan all right; to fleece as much money as possible out of this fan base, LOL!

Posted by: dargregmag | July 24, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

28 and ******* 68 and there's still two months of this garbage left. I guess I wouldn't give a damn either if I had a guaranteed contract and there was no way that winning ballgames matters in the big picture with this team. Like Knight said tonight, this whole thing about the players 'learning on the job in the majors' is absolute garabage. All that time that Manny would trumpet that bs as an excuse has completely ****** any chance at creating a winning culture. Or even a respectable culture. This is absolutely obscene. I really do feel sorry for all those poor souls that wasted all that money on season tix. I would never tell someone to stay away from the park, but I personally could never pay to see that ****.

Posted by: Brue | July 24, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm quite sure Boras will ask for a major league contract, which is not at all unusual for a college pitcher who will not require a great deal of minor league seasoning. Thus the contract will be X dollars for X years, not one big signing bonus.

Nationals fans, there is legitimate cause for concern here. All things being equal, Strasburg would surely prefer to stay in San Diego, his hometown, in an extreme pitchers' park with a laid-back fanbase. Surely he will sign if the money is right, but San Diego in 2010 is a very good fallback plan from his point of view.

Demonizing Boras does you no good, the player will only sign if he perceives it to be in his best interest. It's the Nats' job to convince him of that.

Posted by: Venicemenace | July 24, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

That extra 10 minutes of practice really paid dividends tonight.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 24, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

>That extra 10 minutes of practice really paid dividends tonight.

Posted by: natsfan1a1

Acta was there for two and a half years. That's a lot longer than 10 minutes.

Posted by: Brue | July 24, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

So, Strasburg could sign a major league contract from the start, be placed in the minors, and make more money than most veteran MLB players, before his first MLB pitch??? Somehow, that doesn't seem very smart from a franchise point of view, nor fair to other MLB players! Sounds very screwed-up to me. Bass-ackwards!

Posted by: NickfromGermantown | July 24, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

What's that? Did somebody say something?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 24, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

It's not really that unusual for a player to sign a major-league contract right out of the draft. Hell, Boras got this guy a major league deal:

and Hansen has spent that deal pitching very poorly out of the Red Sox and Pirates bullpens.

According to scouts, Strasburg is nearly ready for the majors. It's not outrageous to ask for a 5 year major league deal with the understanding that he'll make the majors in a year or so. It might come down to money, but Boras is crafty. At this stage in his career, he seems to be almost intimidating owners. You get the feeling he might scheme to deliver Strasburg to San Diego...unless the payday is too good to refuse.

Posted by: Venicemenace | July 24, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Brue

But you do care. If you didn't you would try so hard to be so foul mouthed. Don't get me wrong, I respect people who express their anger with such gusto. It's totally justifiable.

But to suggest these guys don't care either simplifies it. They are badly over matched by every team they play and they know it. They are defeated more than they are apathetic.

Not that it matters I guess. They still suck.

Posted by: soundbloke | July 24, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

"Nationals fans, there is legitimate cause for concern here. All things being equal, Strasburg would surely prefer to stay in San Diego, his hometown, in an extreme pitchers' park with a laid-back fanbase."

Oh C'MON ,,, F^%&* that!!!

Ya know what my man Storen is from surfer's paradise and HE WANTS IT BAD! He wants to prove that HE is READY RIGHT NOW! Put him in, he's ready! He signed early just to prove that.

Strasburg is a cheeekin' sheeet, jelly belly, pork puke by comparison. C'mon Steven? What's the matter are you scared chicken sh%%? Look at what the other guys who were drafted below you are doing ...

You're a joke if you can't handle adversity. Why would any team want you if that isn't something you can stomach?

Posted by: periculum | July 24, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

The sad and inexplicable thing about this team is that it is NOT overmatched, statistically, at the plate. Against the Mets, the Nats stood 2nd in the league in on-base percentage. Even with atrocious pitching and fielding, how are that Nats 40 games under .500? That's what so, so frustrating.

Posted by: nats24 | July 25, 2009 2:08 AM | Report abuse

The Strasburg negotiations are being done under cloak and dagger. The media doesn't report news; they create it and this is a perfect case.

Not having any concrete info on the negotiations, the media naturally puts a negative slant on things. re "the Nationals won't get a deal done".

At the end of the day he'll be a Nat and the organization will be happy, Stephen Strasburg will be happy and the least pallatable part of it all is that Scott Boras will be happy.

Posted by: ratman77hotmailcom | July 25, 2009 4:00 AM | Report abuse

The ownership and management of this franchise is and has been a joke since almost the beginning of their stewardship.
Just ruining what was once a dream come true.

Posted by: ridgely1 | July 25, 2009 5:40 AM | Report abuse

Go figure - Rizzo is a Boras client too!
______________________________
"Nats' GM Uncertainties a Concern for Strasburg"

Posted by: lowcountry | July 25, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse