Oh, The Possibilities

Last time we saw the Astros -- oh, about 65 days ago -- a hard rain was driving away any chance of an extra-inning conclusion in a 10-10 tie. After both sides waited 1:16, umps suspended the game. That was back on May 5. The Nats and Astros were tied at 10. Josh Willingham was batting. Elijah Dukes was on first. LaTroy Hawkins was pitching.

Now?

Dukes is in the minors, so Nyjer Morgan -- who happens to be Washington's fastest player -- will start on first.

Willingham, batting .135 on May 5, is now hitting .290.

"It's a very good coincidence that we get to have our fastest runner on first base and probably our hottest hitter at the plate, too," Manny Acta said.

If this game goes to the 12th, Mike MacDougal will pitch for the Nats. But if it doesn't? Well, Joel Hanrahan is in line for the win.

Since that day, Washington has acquired/promoted/added: Joe Beimel, Jason Bergmann, Sean Burnett, Tyler Clippard, Ron Villone, MacDougal, Nyjer Morgan, Josh Bard and Alberto Gonzalez. All are available.

Could this be the day that Manny Acta finally uses 11 relief pitchers in one game?

By Chico Harlan  |  July 9, 2009; 6:32 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: From Minute Maid
Next: "The Winning Pitcher Is Hanrahan, Now 1-3"

Comments

Of course I got freshly posted on. so here is my tickets question again.

Here is a tickets question.

Can you actually select the section, row, and seat number when you buy tickets at the box office? I wanted to try sect. 139-143 row X. The last row. I've got two young girls who can sit thru 4-5 innings in a row, but then need to walk around a bit. I keep trying to select the tickets on nationals.com but it keeps giving me best available, like row f or j. I tried stub hub but nobody has seats that far back. Row P or S is the farthest seats I found. Any advice?

thanks

Also, how kid friendly is the P-Nats game, my 5 year old is in love with fireworks now after the 4th.

Posted by: wrw0601 | July 9, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wrw0601 | July 9, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Reposting for wrw:

If you can get to the box office, you can look at a map and tell them just which seats you want, wrw. You may be able to do that over the phone as well. I've not tried it. I don't have kids, but from what I've observed I'd say that the P-Nats games are very kid-friendly. I think that they have fireworks every Saturday (would have to check the schedule to verify that). They have a very good display.

And there's a new post.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 9, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 9, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Well, there's not really a new post. That's just carried over from my old one. Oh, never mind. I'm gonna have some dinner now...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 9, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wrw0601 | July 9, 2009 6:35 PM |

The P-Nats could not be more kid friendly. The times I've been its been uncrowded enough that kids can run around the seats without bothering anyone, Uncle Slam is like a Pied Piper to the kids (seriously, he had a line of like 15 kids following him last time I went), I think they have fireworks some nights, and its just overall a really nice, inexpensive way to take the kids to a ballgame.

Posted by: ac42 | July 9, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

wrw0601, I encountered difficulties picking seat and row on line. I know you can do it at the park, and I presume on the phone. The back rows get a lot of noise piped in, and we got a set of noise protectors from the hardware store for my grandson. Also, if you don't mind shelling out $55 a ticket, the third base club lets you get out of the noise and still watch the game in air conditioned comfort. The kids can run around and it works well, except for the extreme expense.

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 9, 2009 6:44 PM |

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 9, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Oh, yeah. One more thing for the truly anal (present and accounted for). Can't tell the players without a boxscore:

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 9, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

I should specify that my comments on selecting seats referred to Nationals Park and the Nats site. OTOH, at the P-Nats site, it *is* possible to look at a layout of the Pfitz and choose the row and seat that you wish online (as long as somebody hasn't already purchased that seat).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 9, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

As a kid who grew up on High-A Prince William Cannons, I can highly recommend taking kids to frequent games at Prince William County Stadium. It gets you real close to the field, it's easy to walk into and walk out of (though park somewhere outside the stadium lot), and it preps you well for watching the Washington Nationals (insert joke about A-ball defense). I also learned lots of fun new words from my fellow locals. Thanks, Dale City.

Posted by: Section506 | July 9, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

The P-Nats also have a special family seating area (I think there's no beer allowed in that section).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 9, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

thanks for the help.
planned on going to the PNATS game on 18th, then another NAts game before August.

thanks

Posted by: wrw0601 | July 9, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Just another reason it was a mistake to demote Dukes. Rizzo is a pinhead.

Posted by: B2O2 | July 9, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

This is exciting - they ought to do it more often as a supplement to the full regular games. A lot of pressure on Willingham to do some clutch or siturational hitting. Preferably clutch!

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 9, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

On the MLB.com scoreboard site it shows the Nats record as 7-17. There's still hope!

Posted by: thegraneys | July 9, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Did the individual stats from this game already count into the players' averages?

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | July 9, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Yes Josh1! Win one, Josh2!

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 9, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Just think if we had this bullpen at 7-17, we'd be in the hunt.

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 9, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

who called Morgan would score on a wild pitch? pretty close guess.

Posted by: wrw0601 | July 9, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Curly W!! Hilarious.

Posted by: JennX_ | July 9, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

What a great way to end this game.

Posted by: janus4444 | July 9, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

SWEET! Speed kills! Blazin' Josh Bard forces wild throw from Tejada! Nats Win! Nats Win!

Posted by: joebleux | July 9, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Karma!! Tejada could have run to first for the putout with Bard hobbling! Thank you Miguel. Good job by Cap'n Morgan to keep motoring.

Posted by: SackMan | July 9, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Isn't this the first time this season that the Nats swept a series?

Posted by: rxs85 | July 9, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Nats win, Nats win! Bang-Zoom go the fireworks (in our collective minds, at least).

Posted by: BinM | July 9, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Woohoo!! Okay, now it's root, root, root for the road team!!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 9, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

sweet.

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | July 9, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Boy, Manny really nailed every move he made in this "game." Can an extension be far behind?

*Sarcasm alert for the snark-impaired*

Posted by: mjhoya12 | July 9, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

You're welcome, wrw. Have fun!

Can't remember how that worked as far as the stats from earlier in the game, nervous.

I think that it may be, rsx. They haven't won that many series, and I don't recall having swept one.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 9, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Ah yes, maybe it wasn't a wild pitch, but it was indeed wild. Finally, a series sweep.

Posted by: cokedispatch | July 9, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

There weren't that many fans in the seats yet but they voiced their displeasure at the outcome with gusto, I thought.

Come on, Dunner. How about a moon shot?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 9, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Woohoo!! Okay, now it's root, root, root for the road team!!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 9, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------

Um, 1a1, I think that should be "road" team...

Posted by: BinM | July 9, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

And we now return you to your regularly scheduled program...

Posted by: BinM | July 9, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

And we now return you to your regularly scheduled program...

Posted by: BinM | July 9, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Now let me get this straight

The guy you got in trade scores the run to secure the win for the guy you traded.

Has that EVER happened before ....They the AMAZZZING NATTTS!!!!! See things only thought of during weekend drinking binges.

Posted by: CBinDC | July 9, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

With all due modesty, I have to point out that I predicted Bard driving in the winning run, even if I was a little sketchy on the details.

Carpenter: "And now, on May 5th, Miguel Tijada will have already committed five errors for the season..."

Holy time-travel, batman.

Posted by: joebleux | July 9, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Too bad the Pirates are not playing tonight. Hanrahan could have had two wins in one night for two different teams. Has that ever been done???

Posted by: thegraneys | July 9, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

someone mention road team?
(in the old days, I would've signed this)
---Elwood
_______________
506, in Toronto they sing The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, just for the Nats.
Posted by: flynnie2 | July 9, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse
-----------------
flynnie: what, not Dead Skunk In The Middle Of The Road?
Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 9, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 9, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Graneys, Satchel Paige had two wins for the same team, against two different teams, in two different cities, in the same day.

TLTLIU

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 9, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

"Um, 1a1, I think that should be "road" team...

Posted by: BinM | July 9, 2009"

Hey! Zbigniew Brzinski's Mom liked to serve "road" kill straight off of I 66. Maybe the Nats aren't very far behind?

Posted by: periculum | July 9, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking that the way Bard gimped up the line in the completion game that he might get replaced by Nieves in the regular game, but we'll see.

Posted by: BinM | July 9, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Was hoping for a long fly ball to CF Death Valley to see if Morgan would tag up and try to score. I saw Freddie Patek do this a couple of times for the Royals. Glad to see the Captain is in CF for this series. What a ridiculous ballpark.

Posted by: SackMan | July 9, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Bard should get a rest, considering that he should have GIDP except for Miggy's taking one too many sudafeds. Have another espresso, Miggy!

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 9, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

"I saw Freddie Patek do this a couple of times for the Royals"

I'm still bitter about that trade. Freddie Patek was my favorite Pirate as a kid (probably, because he was about my size).

Posted by: joebleux | July 9, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Looked like Miggy pulled a Knob-lauch. That was in a different zip code. It's funny I remember pulled groins and running to first like that. He's gonna need surgery if he keeps playing.

Posted by: Brue | July 9, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

I thought that's what I typed? Now I'm really cornfused...

---

Woohoo!! Okay, now it's root, root, root for the road team!!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 9, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------

Um, 1a1, I think that should be "road" team...

Posted by: BinM | July 9, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 9, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Oh, so that was you all the time, sec3. Elwood is unmasked at last. :-D

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 9, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

>Freddie Patek was my favorite Pirate as a kid (probably, because he was about my size).

Patek cards would always bring a lot in a trade - every time you'd turn it over, it's all .300+ avg. I mean, he hit .309 lifetime>

Posted by: Brue | July 9, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Whoops got the wrong column. Only hit .242 lifetime. He also seemed much bigger back then too ~

Posted by: Brue | July 9, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

1a1, you think Casey Kasem outtakes are funny, you should hear Elwood's...

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 9, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

1a1 - You're right; My eyes saw road, my brain read home; My bad - Two-inning penalty (mis-read post).

Posted by: BinM | July 9, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse