Olsen Scheduled to Start on Monday (Updated)

Scott Olsen, who was scratched as the starter for tonight's game, is scheduled to make his next start Monday against the New York Mets and pitcher Livan Hernandez.

As of yesterday, the team had not announced what would come next for Olsen. He had complained of tightness in the left side of his back. But a packet of pregame notes circulated in the press box includes the starters for the next six games, and Olsen's name is among those listed.

The left-handed pitcher missed more than a month earlier this season with left shoulder tendinitis. Since coming off the disabled list on June 29, he has a 3.74 ERA and a 1-0 record.

Jim Riggleman, the interim manager, had no update on Olsen in his pregame news conference. He said the team would wait to make a decision on Olsen until the results from his recent doctor's appointment.

"If Olsen couldn't go, then we'd have to pull someone out of the bullpen or make a roster move," Riggleman said of Olsen's scheduled start Monday.

UPDATE | 5:35 p.m. Here are today's revised lineups. Cristian Guzman was scratched because he had tenderness in his feet, a condition Riggleman said the shortstop has occasionally suffered in seasons past. Guzman is considered day to day.

Chicago Cubs

5. Willingham, RF
6. Harris, 2B
7. Bard, C
8. Gonzalez, SS
9. Stammen, P

By Mark Viera  |  July 17, 2009; 3:39 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cubs 6, Nats 2
Next: After Error, Zimmerman Practices Fielding

Comments

Marrero makes the BA Hotsheet. That's Norris and Marrero back to back ranked second in hotness.

Posted by: longterm | July 17, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Baseball95der26 | July 17, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I am also wondering about Gonzalez. I thought the plan was to see what he can do at second base during the rest of the season.

Posted by: djorl | July 17, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Good to know that we finally have some guys that are considered hot sheet in the minors.

Posted by: BobLHead | July 17, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

"is it just me or is everybody curious of why alberto gonzalez is'nt starting. i mean what does he have to do go 2-3 and do cartwheels?"
------------
Just a guess - it is because Willie is on the block, we want to show he can play IF as well as OF still, and there's a righty pitching for the Cubs (who is starting for the Cubs?).

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | July 17, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Baseball95der26 | July 17, 2009"

In the end Riggleman is going to be "old school". :)

Zambrano: right handed pitcher against:

1. Morgan left-handed hitter
2. Johnson left-handed hitter
3. Zimmerman right-handed hitter
4. Dunn left-handed hitter.
5. Willingham right-handed hitter.
6. Guzman (switchhitter) left-handed hitter.
7. Harris left-handed hitter.
8. Bard (switchhitter) left-handed hitter.
9. Pitcher.

6 left handed hitters, plus 2 right handers and
the pitcher.

Posted by: periculum | July 17, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

OK...in getting back to the topic du jour...I pulled some fielding numbers on a couple of HOF 3rd basemen to compare the E's with what our resident All-Star has put up thus far. I know this is not really an "apples-to-apples" comparrison but it's interesting.

On his current pace Zimm is set to acquire about 23-25 errors. Mike Schmidt had 23 or more errors at 3rd base 6 times (74,75,79,80,82,and 84). Brooks Robinson, who some might argue as the best defensive 3-bagger in history even went over 20 once...21 errors in 1958, 13 in 1959 (80 games) and proceeded to accumulate double digits in E's for the next 11 seasons. Never more than 18, but never less than 11.

Zimmerman is a star, people. He was born to play 3rd and in 15 years I hope he's still out there. Let's all just relax and bask in the fact that we all get to watch the career of such a promising player...and hope that his career numbers land somewhere in between the two mentioned above.

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | July 17, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Now, moving GUZMAN to first ... that's more reasonable. He's losing what range he had, but he's still got good hands, and he's hitting three-something.
IF they trade Nick, and have another shortstop.
Guzzie has a little less power, but not that much less, than Nick (.402 vs .420 SLG), and the 3/6 difference in home runs won't mean much either. Nick is no lock to make double digits, at his current rate.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 17, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

And since the Cubs are in town, I'm reminded Guzman would not be the first ss to make that move.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 17, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Hey, uhm, why move Zimmerman to first and not to short stop? I mean, assuming you're determined to move him. He at least has played short before (in college).

Posted by: Section506 | July 17, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I think I'd still rather have Hoffpauir.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 17, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Zimm is going to play third. You'll see Dunn and Willingham well before Zimm.

To take the measure of this young pitching staff (Syracuse and Washington), to get a perspective on how other GM's (and Rizzo) see them here is a good quote from Ladson ... with a perfectly placed "typo".

Discussing the pitchers hitting:

"They aren't doing anything that they haven't done before," Acta said. "They work on their hitting. They work on their bunting. These younger kids that we have now are god athletes. They kind of take pride on getting better on that kind of stuff. In the past, we had some guys who were not good athletes or have been around and didn't care much about that stuff."

Comparing, say a Dmitri Young, to one of the young prospect pitcher ...

Posted by: periculum | July 17, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

"I know this is not really an "apples-to-apples" comparrison but it's interesting."

Seeing as how those guys are in the Hall, yeah.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 17, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Sec3,

I'm just pointing out that even HOF caliber players make errors...and in Schmidt's case, a lot. I'm not saying Zimm should be in the hall, but his numbers are comparable to the early years of both Schmidt and Robinson.

I look forward to seeing him patrol the 'hot-corner' for the next 10-15 years.

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | July 17, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Nauga, yes, I meant only "amen." Didn't mean to imply otherwise.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 17, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

think Natsnut is an SysAdmin for WaPo, she's around somewhere ... might be taking time off because Chico is taking time off.

Posted by: periculum

+++++++++++++++

peri, you are a moron. believe it or not, there are more than 2 women in this city who:
a)are nats fans
b)who read this blog
c)can write/speak intelligently about baseball/the nats, and
d) think you are a moron

Posted by: NatsNut | July 17, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I like Tapioca pudding. why is that associated with Sunrise, periculum?

Posted by: Intrudr | July 17, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

and some brave soul actually said, "irregardless?" I can see there needs to be some ask kicking around here.

Sheesh. I step away for a minute and all hell breaks loose.

Posted by: NatsNut | July 17, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

"These younger kids that we have now are god athletes."

Wow, and you thought Bowden over-rated players...

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 17, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Intrudr, that would be tequila sunrises, as in, what happens after way too many.

Just a guess.
*******
I like Tapioca pudding. why is that associated with Sunrise, periculum?
Posted by: Intrudr | July 17, 2009 4:28 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 17, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

after too many tequila sunrises, some people turn into tapioca pudding? Yikes!

Posted by: Intrudr | July 17, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

After Zim had his yip fit last night I was surprised to see the same stoic expression on his face. I think he learned that from Manny. Couldn't he at least wince???

Posted by: Intrudr | July 17, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

a)are nats fans
b)who read this blog
c)can write/speak intelligently about baseball/the nats, and
d) think you are a moron

Posted by: NatsNut | July 17, 2009 4:26 PM
___________________________________________________________

I nominate NatsNut for Post of The Day.

Posted by: Section505203 | July 17, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Aw c'mon. periculum is swell. Nothing there that couldn't be cured with a high colonic.

Posted by: Intrudr | July 17, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Does a high colonic reach to his (virtual) mouth?

-----

Posted by: Intrudr | July 17, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mo_dc | July 17, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

It's raining in Crystal City right now.

Here's the NatsCast:

Posted by: Juan-John | July 17, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Sec3,

I see...my mistake. Guess I'm just getting used to having to defend rational thought in here...

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | July 17, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Does a high colonic reach to his (virtual) mouth?

Posted by: mo_dc | July 17, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse
==========
I guess it could if the hose were long enough.

Posted by: Intrudr | July 17, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Mark Z says Guz is out with bunions...Alberto is starting today.....ABM has a new screen name.....again...

Posted by: JayBeee | July 17, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JayBeee | July 17, 2009 4:55 PM

Bunions? Are you serious! LMAO!

Posted by: FloresFan | July 17, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Does a high colonic reach to his (virtual) mouth?

Posted by: mo_dc

==========
I guess it could if the hose were long enough.
Posted by: Intrudr | July 17, 2009 4:54 PM

==========

I had a great response to this, but I'll refrain.

Posted by: NatsNut | July 17, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I had a great response to this, but I'll refrain.

Posted by: NatsNut | July 17, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse
===========
Don't taunt the animals! let 'er rip!

Posted by: Intrudr | July 17, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

"Don't Feed the Trolls"

Posted by: OldDude | July 17, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

"Zimmerman is a star"

LOL, ya, so is Jason Campbell, NOT

Posted by: nattylite88 | July 17, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

"Zimmerman is a star"

LOL, ya, so is Jason Campbell, NOT

-----------

I think that said about all that needs to be said.

Posted by: Section506 | July 17, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Second it. (Sorry, OldDude, I couldn't help myself.) Also, I think you are right, JayBee.

---

I nominate NatsNut for Post of The Day.

Posted by: Section505203 | July 17, 2009 4:39 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 17, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

one of my favorite put downs comes from HBO's Band of Brothers. Sgt. Guarnier refers to the new Captain as having "his head so far up his [ahem] that the lump in his throat is his nose."

an even higher colonic.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | July 17, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

You know, maybe the "Guz is out with bunions...Alberto is starting today" -- is an excuse to get Gonzo in the lineup after all.

Bunions, come on give me a break.

Posted by: bigmook | July 17, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

"d) think you are a moron

Posted by: NatsNut | July 17, 2009"

Mebbe so but not many called themselves Natsnut, and seem to like to post on players' blogs as if they were Blake Shelton fanatics.

I think there be only one and that one be you.

Posted by: periculum | July 17, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

True: I cannot eat "Funions" because they sound too much like "bunions."

I have no trouble with onions, though.

Posted by: Section506 | July 17, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Hmm high colonic ...

Sounds like some "trolls" from RI ... you guys listen way too much to Howard Stern ... sorry to say he isn't that funny anymore ... :) In other words: passe', over-the-hill, etc.

Posted by: periculum | July 17, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

hey were having some fun. NatsNut stated: “Being in the batting cage was kind of scary. I am glad we didn’t hit against the pitching machine. That would have been really scary to see those balls screaming by. But, it was fun.”

In fact, NatsNut was wishing to do even more: “I wanted a little bit more technical instruction. I wanted someone to show me how to grip a baseball. How to actually throw a pitch. I wanted to see a real live pitch being throw close up. Those types of things that are hands on. Now that’s not a big deal, because we still got to talk with some of the coaches—which was really fun. But, I totally wanted to do some fielding. I really wanted to go out there and shag flies. It would be really cool if they let us shag balls during batting practice!! (Laughing) It would be so much fun!!”

Posted by: periculum | July 17, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

NatsNut Says:
August 24th, 2008 at 7:46 pm

oh my gosh, this is so incredibly awesome!! I’ll miss reading your stuff, but screw the blog, man, get after it!

Well. Except when you play the Nats. I’ll be in section 202 looking for you at Nationals Park Sept 19-21!!

Best of luck!!

Posted by: periculum | July 17, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Natsnut's advice to Zim on "signifcant others":

putt-putt
As a team leader I think you should make the whole team go and play a round of putt-putt golf together or something, loosen things up a bit.
Posted by NatsNut at 7:44 am Jun 04, 2008

Posted by: periculum | July 17, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Natsnut : Kind of like the Hannah Montana Disneyland of baseball fanatics.

Posted by: periculum | July 17, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Natsnut: She's everywhere ...

Frequent Nationals Journal poster Natsnut captures a bit of the mixed emotion:

And this is weird: [I'm] actually a little sad that the team has moved above the radar. There was something special and intimate about being one of the few following our underdogs so carefully last year, being one of few who knew exactly how great they did with what they had. I'm feeling nostalgic about being one of the few huddled in the freezing, pathetic, losing April in my $5 seats last year. It was a really great year for me as a fan and there's this tiny piece of me thinking, "Hey. This is MINE. Where have ya'll been?"

Posted by: periculum | July 17, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

It's b-a-a-a-a-a-a-c-k!

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 17, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

"Also, "eye" in spanish is "ojo," not "ocho." All this information could be found on Google. It'd be much more constructive for you to look things up before you waste time making fun of somebody, and calling them an idiot, when you are in fact wrong."

I am in fact educated in Italian at the Universita per Stranieri ... like "cave canem" Latin for "beware of the dog" or "beware or I'll sing" it can mean either thing ... "sweet eye" or "12 or 8", in other words: dialect.

Look it up.

Posted by: lerici | July 17, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

This is starting to become more like the infamous RI than NI ...

Posted by: periculum | July 17, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

periculum

Posted by: surly_w | July 17, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

"lay off NatsNut. don't know what's got you so hot and bothered, but she's a right to her opinion without being ridiculed. NN has been one of the stalwart posters on this blog and, like you and everyone else, brings a unique perspective to these proceedings.

Posted by: surly_w | July 17, 2009"

Dude she started it ... if you are going to challenge someone then you had damned well be ready to defend yourself.

I'm the one who everyone seems keen on attacking because I guess she is a member of your tweets and natinals clique.

I don't cotton to junior high cliques. If you challenge me, as you can see above, I enjoy bring the 18 inchers to bear.

Best bet: Don't mess with me.

Posted by: periculum | July 17, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

And surlyw as is said on RI:

Shut the SJK up.

Posted by: periculum | July 17, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

periculum

i'm not part of any clique on this board and i damn sure don't tweet. but you're the one acting like a middle schooler who just - won't - let - it -go. admittedly there are times when some board posters act like too cool 12-year-olds, but this isn't a forum for a perpertual personal harangue. both of you need a time out.

Posted by: surly_w | July 17, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

periculum

BTW since i have other things to do than spend all day trolling post sports blog sites, would you be good enough to elaborate on SJK?

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 17, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

...forgot to add to previous post

can't we all just get along?

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 17, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

E on Gonzo...ugh.

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | July 17, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Woohoo...Gonzo redeems himself!

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | July 17, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Periculum,

relax "dude"...we're all here for the same reason...I think...

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | July 17, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

OK, the reason I suggested Zimm to 1B was not that he should be there forever, or that it's a "demotion". Rather, he might benefit from a change (shake-up) and if NJ is traded we have a hold at 1B that I would rather not see filled by Dunn or Willingham--again for the sake of the baby pitchers. However, someone suggested Guzzie at first, I do wonder how that would work.

If I recall, Willie doesn't play first, and since he does so many other useful things, let's not add more.

Ok, so we need to figure out what lineup would go with what permutations of trade, assuming we get NO immediately playable infielders in a trade,

E.g., NJ and Willingham traded for RP and prospect (s)-- what is lineup?

NJ and Guzzie traded for RP and prospect (s)-- what is lineup?

NJ, Guz, Belliard for RP and prospect (s)-- what is lineup?

And so on.

Gotta run now, but I have the game in my ear. GO NATS!

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 17, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, typo. If we trade NJ we have a hole at 1B...

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 17, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

I am glad the Nats are playing crisp, fundamental baseball now......this is painful first inning for the Nats.

Posted by: JT2009 | July 17, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Straighten that out a bit, Willie...

Posted by: Section220 | July 17, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

@periculum: Do us all a favor - quit picking fights you can't win (nobody wins when it turns personal on the web, or in a blog).

Posted by: BinM | July 17, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

"one acting like a middle schooler who just - won't - let - it -go"

When I try to let it go and it always seems like someone in the clique you appear to subscribe to doesn't and wants to continue.

I don't start these things but I will finish them when people refuse to let it go. Why not? It can be entertaining.

Oh speaking of cliques and tweets? Just a simple google and ... gee we see twitter and Curl W?

Its getting boring ... again once and for all "dude". Shut the SJK up.

#
#
Cathy Taylor (misschatter) on Twitter
... Ken Tremendous · Rose I. Chris Needham · MTS · DangerNat · Washington Flyer · Joe Maddon · DC SportsDaily · Liz Clarke · NatsNut · Curly W · Interim Jim ...

Posted by: periculum | July 17, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Zambrano threw 40 pitches that inning. in _1_ inning! Guess he's not getting a complete game today.

Posted by: swang30 | July 17, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

"Keep your comments to what you observe or think about the team, either on the field or in the future & we'll all be the better for it.

Posted by: BinM | July 17, 2009"

That is what I have been trying to do, in fact. But even those comments are often subject to personal attack.

Reread the posts if you don't believe me.

I am more than happy to take on the junior high clique. Its the "alt.flame" heritage ...

Posted by: periculum | July 17, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

What the heck is SJK anyways? And why import an RI reference in here?

Posted by: swang30 | July 17, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

40 pitches, 1 run.

Well, thanks goodness we have an active genius manager now to run us out of big innings.

Certainly wouldn't want to give Zambrano a chance to self-destruct on his own.

Posted by: joebleux | July 17, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

"Sorry, typo. If we trade NJ we have a hole at 1B...

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 17, 2009"

I think both Phil Rizzo and I completely agree. I would not trade Nick, I would try to resign him. Marerro is still a ways away.

Posted by: periculum | July 17, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

This has to be the most feckless ballclub on the face of the planet. Give them three walks, an error and they barely manage to score, let alone get a ball out of the infield. I really feel for the starting pitchers, they get absolutely no support offensively or defenseively, let alone from the bullpen. Craig buddy, hope you can pitch a shutout, or at least don't give up any earned runs to protect your ERA.

Posted by: SackMan | July 17, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Ooops keep getting Mike confused with his father ... :)

Posted by: periculum | July 17, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

@periculum

i have no dog in this fight, but maybe it would help if you stopped worrying about who's Twitting (i know, Tweeting) and what they're posting. you may be suffering from information overload.

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 17, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Back on to the Zimm to 1B schtick, if we trade NJ, Zimm to 1B and Willie playing 3B might work for a while. In between trying out Dunn and Willingham that is.

Posted by: swang30 | July 17, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

SJK == "Sorry Jack's Kids" as in no obscenities allowed.

Posted by: periculum | July 17, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Crap - Double by Zambrano, 2 runs in.

Posted by: BinM | July 17, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

I don't get it, how does Sorry Jack's Kids translate into no obscenities allowed?

Posted by: swang30 | July 17, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

"Back on to the Zimm to 1B schtick, if we trade NJ, Zimm to 1B and Willie playing 3B"

Willingham or Dunn to 1B before you see that. Looks like Mike Morse might be Zimm's backup before long.

Posted by: periculum | July 17, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

"don't get it, how does Sorry Jack's Kids translate into no obscenities allowed?"

Grammar, elementary, and high school kids have been know to visit these blogs.

Posted by: periculum | July 17, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Grammar, elementary, and high school kids have been know to visit these blogs.
---------------
Which is why they have an obscenity filter and that sort of thing, I understand. I still don't get what does the three words Sorry Jack's Kids have anything to do with anything. (they don't make any sort of sense to me.) I'm missing a piece of culture here, I'm guessing.

Posted by: swang30 | July 17, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

THAT's what SJK means? i always knew fans of the snydermen are anal.

Posted by: surly_w | July 17, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

swang30,

a blogger named Jack used to worry about what his kids would read ... they follow these blogs religiously ... its kind of a bit of a cute "insider" ... okay a tad snarky but in a harmless way, joke to use SJk instead of characters like ?$%# etc.

Posted by: periculum | July 17, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

I hate to say this as Zimm is my favorite Nat and of course, the lone all star, but when did he last have a big hit ? I am starting to wish he wasn't coming up with a crucial hit needed. I am hoping his luck changes soon.

Posted by: JT2009 | July 17, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

OH BinM? Here come the little junior high clique again ...

"THAT's what SJK means? i always knew fans of the snydermen are anal.

Posted by: surly_w | July 17, 2009"

Posted by: periculum | July 17, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

JT2009, at this point it may make sense to switch Willingham with Zimmerman. Willingham's bat is hot.

Posted by: periculum | July 17, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

BTW, the only reason I agreed with the Zimm to 1B move is if his throwing problem becomes chronic to the point of Chuck Knoblauch disease.

Ugh. Aramis Ramirez. How come we put seven guys on base and nobody hits a home run then?

Posted by: baltova1 | July 17, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Willingham batting 3rd, Zimmerman batting fifth or sixth.

Posted by: periculum | July 17, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Wow. That promising first inning by Stammen sort of dissolved in a hurry, no?

Posted by: Section220 | July 17, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

periculum

i'm a ny giants fan, maybe if you ask her real nice, NN will give you the password and show you the secret handshake for her clique which you seem so desperate to join.

Posted by: surly_w | July 17, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Folks keep in mind what Rizzo et al said earlier. These are young pitchers who have yet to pitch an entire major league season. That means they haven't thrown that many pitches yet. And their arms may need to be "shutdown". They really are that young!

Stammen falls under that category. He has already thrown 50 pitches in this game.

Posted by: periculum | July 17, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

surly_w, curly_w, whatever ...

I belong to the ancient order of alt.flame, founded in the depths of internet time ... before the MCP and tron arrived. ~smiles~

Meddle not in the business of whizzards, for they be quick to anger.

Posted by: periculum | July 17, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

If periculum was a dog, he'd be one of those crazy little ones that spends half his time in an old lady's purse and the rest barking at strangers and trying to bite their shoelaces. Makes you want to step on him. But on the other hand, what's the point? It's not like you have to prove you can crush an old lady's dog. So, you just roll your eyes and leave him alone.

Posted by: BobLHead | July 17, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Hey fans in the stands -- do not let an opposing player reach three rows into the stands to catch a foul ball -- knock it away, that's not fan interference. The Nat's need all the help they can get.

Posted by: SackMan | July 17, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

@periculum: Your last two posts have been about nothing but baseball; Keep it up. You're a lot more tolerable that way.

Posted by: BinM | July 17, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

how much longer will they bat Zimmerman 3rd? He is lost right now and needs to move down - can't remember a more depressing season and I am going back to the 50s - have to keep repeating, we still have baseball, we still have baseball

Posted by: sjm3091 | July 17, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

sjm3091

this organization is paralyzed when it comes to moving r-zimm out of the three hole, a lot like the angelO's were before they finally admitted that cal was killing them batting third and dropped him in the order in his latter years. the nats are afraid to move the FotF for fear of either offending him or perceived fan (what's left of us) backlash. before the ASB, i proposed flipping willingham and r-zimm. let's see if j-riggs has the stones to make the move.

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 17, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

@nova_g_man, You out here tonight? Trying to catch up on an older post - You pointed me regarding O.Rodriguez & his lack of a 3rd pitch (I stated it was a curveball that he lacked). Let's talk.

Posted by: BinM | July 17, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Hello again. in regard to Zimmerman and changing his position or batting order, i asked this before, what options to they have according to his contract? Do they have comeplete freedom to arrange it, because Willie H. said his contract is utility player not everyday player.

Posted by: Ringle | July 17, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Adam Dunn...gold glove!

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | July 17, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

ha ha ha, Dunn looks so happy he caught that. You love that grin.

Posted by: Ringle | July 17, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Zambrano throws 100 pitches in the first four innings, and we can only score ONE run off 'em?!?

Posted by: Juan-John | July 17, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

The team tonight is just showing every sign of not caring. Even when given a gift first inning all they get is one run on walk .

And since when is it common practice to talk up nice throws in the majors.

Sunshine Bobby is all over tonight about what nice throws, what nice catch. What is this little league.

Posted by: CBinDC | July 17, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

@Ringle: I believe the CBA (Collective Bargaining Agreement) only clarifies whether a player is under a Major-League, Minor-League, or "split" contract. What positions each player is "assigned" to, or plays is between the Front Office, the Manager & the Player, and has nothing to do with his contract overall.
A player can be asked to play any position that his Manager asks him to; It's up to the each of them to decide whether or not that benefits them, either individually or collectively.

Posted by: BinM | July 17, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Is it raining at the park? A pleasure to be able to join this august group enjoying our National Pastime in our Nation's Capital.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 17, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

tx for info about contracts. it was also mentioned on here that they could sign Nick J to a certain number of at bats. I assume guaranteed in some way. I can look up those types of contracts on wiki. If there is guaranteed at-bats what about injuries?

Posted by: Ringle | July 17, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

I would love to see Zimmerman move over to first if Nick is traded for pitching. He clearly has some issues defensively and clearly carea A LOT about is performance, I think the defensive struggles are weighing him down offensively. A move to first would take some pressure off him and is there anyone who doesn't think he could play gold glove caliber first base. Then Guzman moves over to third (remember the all star game where it looked like Guz had played third all his life) and gonzalez plays every day at short. The infield defense would be a lot better. Just a thought....

Posted by: chris88 | July 17, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Is it me, or do our Nats somehow make the opposing team's pitchers look like all-stars?

In the case of Harden last night, he was well rested and throwing 98 MPH fastballs, and Zambrano seems to have settled down and is throwing some nasty stuff.

Posted by: bigmook | July 17, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Did I blink and miss the heavy hitters in our lineup break the game open in the 5th inning?

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 17, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Typo: cares A lot about his performance

Posted by: chris88 | July 17, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

If you call striking out (and looking very much fooled) - breaking the game open, then yes, you blinked and missed it.

Posted by: bigmook | July 17, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

NBR (not-baseball-related): Walter Cronkite has passed away at age 92.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 17, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

@Ringle: A team negotiates with a player for a base value contract for the season - Said team can also offer incentives to that contract, based on criteria (# of AB, Games played or pitched, etc.). If the player signs the contract, and meets one (or more) of the incentive clauses, he earns the base contract value, plus any incentive clauses he meets.

Posted by: BinM | July 17, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to hear that about Walter Cronkite. He was a heck of news man, and evening news anchor.

Posted by: bigmook | July 17, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

thx again. Are the incentives public because you can see tables of the payroll of teams and theindividuel salaries. I am just curious how this works since we are talking so much about trades. And if a guyis traded does his new team have to keepthe incentives?

Posted by: Ringle | July 17, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

@chris88: Hmmmm... interesting logic & position shifts. I'd like to see it play out in Spring Training 2010, just to test RZimm @1B with low pressure first.

Posted by: BinM | July 17, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Urgent alert to Sunshine and Dribble: you are NOT funny with your "banter".

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 17, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

BinM:

Right; I had seen on another forum that you felt his curve was missing. I've been following the guy for a while, not sure why: his advanced age, his smaller staure, his K ratio, his promise when he was 20, his 2 years away from the game, his 12-0 DSL (I know they are 16-18 there).

In any case, I saw that you mentioned his lack of a curveball of any import, then I saw JMUAlumni talk about it:"Ozzie Rodriguez struck out the side in the 7th. He has been killing it at Hagerstown and needs to be called up to Potomac soon. For those that don't know his repertoire, he has a fastball, change, and curve with his curve being his deadly and almost unhittable pitch." Going from starter to closer means they got to him 2nd and 3rd time around?

I'm just kind of pulling for the guy and wondered if anyone had seen him pitch with the Suns, or will see him with the PNats. And then Norris is going to be with him soon, his batterymate. Ozzie is likely just a filler, but who knows?

Posted by: nova_g_man | July 17, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

@Chris88, on my drive home I heard Charlie and Dave mention that Riggleman was batting ground balls to Zimm before the game to work on his throwing. Do you gentle peeps think he is maybe looking a little better tonight? (Shhhh, no jinx).

But some offense on his part would be nice,too.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 17, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

I can't take anymore of this Zimm to first talk. People...he is stil, even with his throwing issues, a TOP-TIER Third-baseman. top 5 in the league. Anyone else makes the defense worse, not better.

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | July 17, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Are the incentives public
if a guyis traded does his new team have to keepthe incentives?

Posted by: Ringle |

Ringle, as far as I know, there is no online database of current player contracts.

yes, the new team assumes the same terms of the existing contract (unless for some reason the contract included a clause the voided some terms upon a trade - but what player would agree to that?)

the problem with the incentive based contract - a player doesn't want to sign a contract that pays him (millions?) more for a certain number of At-Bats - because that is under the control of the team. sit him 1 short. ridiculous. no, the team has to assume some risk too.

MLB is pretty slanted towards management already in terms of restraint of trade, control of minor league players, as it is, for the players to start agreeing to this.

just try to start thinking of it in terms of a simple contract - $1,000 bucks for your car, and then what clauses you'd agree to. then, look at the rules of control teams have over players (MLB is the most dominant of the 4 big u.s. sports - you can live in the minors for years with no other way out)

this is also why strasburg/boras japan option is not much of a threat - if any team (say, the red sox) went along with that, they'd all be dead. all drafted players would immediately have huge leverage. they all would reject it, even for the "prospect of a lifetime"

think of the scene in godfather I with the five families around the table.

Posted by: MalcolmYoung | July 17, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Awww I am sorry hear about Uncle Walter.

And that's the way it was July 17th 2009.

Posted by: CBinDC | July 17, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

BTW moving Zimmerman to first is like using a Corvette to deliver mail just because it stalls a little.

Just fix the engine.

Posted by: CBinDC | July 17, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

@ BinM & Natslady- To elabarate on my point Zimmermann seems to internalize things and, quite honestly it looks like he He's miserable. I am sure he has lost more games in the last two years than he did his entire amatuer career. Betwwen his struggles both in the field and at the plate and the team losing, it seems like it is sucking the life out of him. I think anything Riggleman can do to take a little pressure off him would help zimm and the team.

Posted by: chris88 | July 17, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

okay - big at bat for Zimm. Come on knock in NJ

Posted by: JT2009 | July 17, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

yes, i was kindof thinking it was pretty hard on the players they can't take the best offer although I guess it would always be the Yankees. :) So they are in a kind of slavery until they are veterans free agents at which point they are older and maybe passed their prime. Nice hit, Nick.

Posted by: Ringle | July 17, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

You know what's sad about this team? I'm watching this game, thinking there's no chance of a win and I just realized Zimmerman was batting as the tying run. You know, one swing of the bat and we're all tied?

Of course, just as that thought sunk in, Zimm grounds out and the inning's over.

Sigh.

Posted by: baltova1 | July 17, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

riggleman pinch hit keans for the pitcher.

gee, I thought with manny acta gone, we would've brought in pujols there, or at least the head of ted williams.

/snark off

Posted by: MalcolmYoung | July 17, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Why is kearns still around??? the only thing I can think of is either Rizzo has a pipedream that he can trade him for anything useful or Ownership has blocke a release because they don't want to eat the remaining conract.

Posted by: chris88 | July 17, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Well Zim managed to put the ball in play but a fat 0-3 with RISP. Offensively they have flatlined since the Houston blowout. Three runs, one earned, in the last 25 innings. And how can you PH Kearns, might as well let the pitcher hit.

Posted by: SackMan | July 17, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Yes, there was some discussion about the mental wear-and-tear on top players. I was not exactly at the top top of my field, but I was up there, and can "empathize" with Zimm. Believe me, I would never have wanted an understudy to take my place, but you can get very tired and not "on" your show game.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 17, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Kearns and Tavarez have to go. IMHO. The trade deadline approacheth. Get what you can for them, if anything.

Posted by: Ringle | July 17, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Ringle,

it has gotten better. and if you are a phenom, you have a better shot (espec on a bad team with no excuses).

but look at david price this year. the indie darling of last year (lights out in the big leagues in the playoffs). clearly could be a starter. but rays kept him in the minors 3 months in this season. ignored idiot fan outcry on the internet.

why, if you're management would you bring him up, for a couple months (in what you think is an otherwise bad year)? when you could get a full year from him in a couple years, possibly when the team is making a run at WSeries?

or you could just be the pirates and trade away your young players for nothing.

Posted by: MalcolmYoung | July 17, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

OK, by some miracle it is still only a two run game. Let's DO THIS.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 17, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Nice one Willie - cheat if you have to!

We're still shi**y

Posted by: Kev29 | July 17, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

you can get nothing for kearns or tavarez.

everyone knows you will DFA them the day after the trade. pick up for nothing then.

to me, as bad as I dislike it, you keep kearns thru the end of the year.

who will you pick up to be a bench fill in, PH or defense.

not worth it to call up someone from the minors who otherwise would play every day there. only to sit here.

Posted by: MalcolmYoung | July 17, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Great play by Willie! His sleight of hand completely tricks the umpire into believing he tagged Lee with the ball.
Bravo! So far that's our defensive play of the game.

Posted by: SackMan | July 17, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Willie "leaps tall buildings in a single bound" And yes, wer'e still Sh**y. There is no denying that ;)

Posted by: chris88 | July 17, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

I repeat: DO NOT TRADE WILLIE. He feels so right in DC--get what you can when you can and a few thousand in the freezer.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 17, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Sunshine just cheered us up by reminding us we have had exactly 1 earned run since we had all that fun in Houston.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 17, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Malcolm i think I follow what your saying. So if we get Strassburg (sp?) we should wait to bring him up until we are in a pennant race, ha ha.

Posted by: Ringle | July 17, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

@Ringle (once again): Once negotiated, a contract is a contract; If the incentives are not met with the 1st team, they carry over as accumulated to the 2nd team.

Posted by: BinM | July 17, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

I ER in 29 innings??? Thats a buzz-kill!!!

Posted by: chris88 | July 17, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

thanks alot guys, for the education. I will look up some of this stuff for myself because it seems like there is a lot of money involved to affect the decisions.

Posted by: Ringle | July 17, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------

We wore ourselves out, should've saved some for the rest of the season.....Man, I wish we could have a bullpen like the Cubs..

Posted by: bromisky | July 17, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Well, I think that last play shows that you should not undervalue having a good first baseman. Peeps seem to think 1B is a dumping ground, but I'm not so sure. An awful lot of outs are made there.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 17, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

On the bright side...out bullpen looked pretty good tonight.

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | July 17, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

And at least AK is not available to make the last out...

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | July 17, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Mickey D didn't look that great, but Clippard and Beimal did their jobs, so, agreed.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 17, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

I'll take anything positive, Naugatuck. Pass the Kool-aid, please. ;)

Posted by: chris88 | July 17, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

even without the braids, belliard is still a fun loving kid kind of player.

like the fat kid in bad news bears.

oh sweet RB to second.

Posted by: MalcolmYoung | July 17, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

So we got the Astros to .500 ball, and helping out the Cubs also... We are just a walking charity outfit.

And the difference is--Manny stood on the step in the dugout, Riggleman frowns, paces, and pushes a pencil.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 17, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

The Mariners won, so my brother is happy.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 17, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Baby steps, Nats lady. ;)

Posted by: chris88 | July 17, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

@nova_g_man: My initial thought on ORodriguez was that he lacked a third pitch (assumed an off-speed, like a curve). I now see he was highly rated by his original orginazation (LAD), but out of professional ball between 2005-2007 (surgery)?
I still wonder if he got the curveball back, or if he's regained a semblance of a third out-pitch.

Posted by: BinM | July 17, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Oh, new post.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 17, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

wonder how chico's culinary retreat weekend is going so far?

Posted by: surly_w | July 17, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse