Reading Material

Here's the gamer from the latest loss. 25-60.

Sure, the Rockies -- the first team Washington encountered on this road trip -- are perhaps the hottest team in the NL. But the Astros have quietly caught fire, too. Yesterday's win brings them back to .500 for the first time since April 7... when they were 1-1.

Houston Chronicle Columnist Richard Justice describes Astros manager Cecil Cooper, following last night's win, as "almost giddy," and writes, "Now, a team that has spent virtually the entire season in fifth or sixth place is one game out of second and just four behind the first-place St. Louis Cardinals."

ESPN.com's Page 2 open up the town hall debate by proposing (and answering, from two perspectives) the question, Do the Nats Deserve Your Scorn?

Ryan Church heads to Atlanta; Jeff Francoeur heads to New York
. So let's see now, that November 2007 NYM-Nats trade has turned into Nyjer Morgan for the Nationals, Francoeur and Brian Schneider for the Mets. Jim Bowden twittered his thoughts on this latest deal: "Francouer bad obp and plate discipline but 100 rbi's twice and 5 yrs younger, Church has always been hurt, never plays per 162...edge Mets"

At the Baseball Insider page, Jordan Zimmermann talks about "when it clicked."

By Chico Harlan  |  July 11, 2009; 11:16 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Beimel: "It's Beyond Embarrassing."
Next: Today's Lineup

Comments

This is why the Nats are tops in away attendance.

Everybody now knows when they come to town your season is going to pick-up.

I think they have sparked every team they have played this year. Well one team does seem to have suffered since playing us last, the Mets.

Posted by: CBinDC | July 11, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

You forgot to add "Suck on it and like it," Chico.

I haven't read the ESPN piece, but I'm pretty sure that ESPN deserves my scorn (Sox and Yankees fans might disagree).

Once again I am compelled to wonder why I should care what Jim Bowden, or anybody else for that matter, twitters or tweets.

Last but not least, a PSA for those who might want to tune in: Don't forget TWIB on Fox at 12:30.

---

Here's the gamer from the latest loss. 25-60.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 11, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

that's the Homecoming Game effect, CbinDC

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 11, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Sec3mysofa- yes that is a better way to look at interaction of the Nationals and their opponent.

They just don't want to spoil the party.

It all makes sense now.

Posted by: CBinDC | July 11, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Dang . . . I thought the Mets got the better of the trade too. Oh well, I guess I was wrong.

Posted by: lowcountry | July 11, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Am listening to WFAN in New York on the internet and they think they stole Francouer, so differing cities with differing opinions. In the eyes of the beholder.

Posted by: cokedispatch | July 11, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Yea, I'm a bit perplexed by the trade. I know the Braves wanted to move Francouer but I'm not sure what they are looking to get with Church. Maybe just a change of scenery trade.

Posted by: lowcountry | July 11, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

We are a punchline and as a fan who puts a lot of time, energy and money into this team, it hurts.

Thanks Uncle Teddy and StanK for your piss poor cheap efforts.

Posted by: Section505203 | July 11, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

A hard trade to figure, the braves even kicked in some cash to make the deal. That shows how much they wanted rid of frenchy...go figure.

Posted by: cokedispatch | July 11, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure that, in theory, it will be good for him to get away from his hometown. That said, I'm not sure the Big Apple is the best palce to go develop. An out of the frying pan scenario.

Posted by: lowcountry | July 11, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Be interesting to see what happens when he returns to Atlanta after the break. I'm sure the fans will give him a standing O.

Posted by: cokedispatch | July 11, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

This was at the end of the last post:

As we all know, the Nats have been MLB's worst team since the start of 2008, with a record of 84-162, or .341.

Now here's the interesting part. The NEXT WORST team is San Diego, with a 98-150 record or .408.

Amazingly, the Nats are 13 games behind MLB's NEXT WORST team during that stretch. Whether you blame Manny or paltry investment by the owners in the club, that's incredible ineptitude.

Posted by: EdDC | July 11, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: EdDC | July 11, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Yes it is a sad state the Nats are in. We the few must be mentally deranged to maintain our loyalty. I guess that is the true definition of a fan. Count me in thru thick and thin.

Posted by: cokedispatch | July 11, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

cokedispatch - It is the times like these that will enhance the level of joy in the future.

So imagine how much joy that is already. Why we should be even with Cub fans in just 8 years. And they have over a 100 year head start.

Posted by: CBinDC | July 11, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

CB...I still look forward to my first ever visit to Nats park in August. I can't wait, and while I hope for a couple of wins when I'm there, I'll not let it get to me should it not happen. GO NATS

Posted by: cokedispatch | July 11, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

cokedispatch : Great I hope you enjoy it
The place really is a very good ball park
Just some in this town complain because they feel they can.

GO NATS

Posted by: CBinDC | July 11, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I'll be attending on the 21st and 22nd of August. Wouldn't want to miss that Frank Howard bobblehead. Be sitting behind the Nats dugout on the 21st, and in the club section on 3rd base side on saturday. PARTY

Posted by: cokedispatch | July 11, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the Jordan Zimmermann link. He has some great stuff and a great attitude.

David Wright can tell you all about the legend of Jordan Zimmermann.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | July 11, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Coke,

Hope you have a great time. Even though we stink on ice, there is nothing like being at the ballpark. I enjoy going with my wife, dad and 2 kids.

Ain't much better in this life.

Posted by: Section505203 | July 11, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Setting up for another loss tonight

Posted by: Tom8 | July 11, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

If I had assembled the worst team in baseball, I think I'd just keep my opinions to myself. But then, if I'd gone hiking on the Appalachian Trail in Argentina, I'd have hanged myself rather than hold a press conference explaining I was doing it for the boys. Me and the Zeitgeist are not on speaking terms.

Posted by: markfromark | July 11, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse