Reminder -- Nats Park Twitter Is Ongoing

Aftergame fireworks. #cubs win, #nats lose. #natswp on Twitpic Obstructed view; glad I didn't bother bringing camera #natswp... on Twitpic
What is Twitter good for? Besides short text-based messages, you can send pics ... like these two we have seen during the recent homestand. You can see more by clicking the links on the Nats Fan Tweets photo page. (Note -- click on the one on the right and read the caption for full effect).

We're hoping fans continue to tweet -- and send pics -- tonight and through the weekend. We have a project planned for the paper using this data, and you also can see all the tweets here.

We now return you to your non-Twitter Nats Journal programming ...

By Jon DeNunzio  |  July 21, 2009; 5:10 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tonight's Lineups
Next: Catching Up With Jesus Flores

Comments

Enough with the Twitter promos! In my section last night, there were at least eight Twits who barely looked up at the action because they were furiously pounding their keyboards. At least a dozen times one of them would say "What just happened? I was (Twitting)." A friend and I went to play at Source Theater last week and the announcement before the house lights went down was "Please turn off all cell phones and pagers and no texting or (Twitting) is allowed suring the performance as to not distract the performers." We're losing out to the short-attention spanners.

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 21, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

In other words, you don't trade Zimm unless you get Buchholz,(sp) Delcarmen (rp)and Bates (1b). Bigmook, I don't know about the Nats' prospects at 3rd. I have a vague memory of someone being blocked by Zimmerman, but can't recall who it was now. How about Zincola? He was the Next Big Thing last year. What happened?

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 21, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

perimoron

i don't tweet and don't belong to any of your perceived "cliques" on this board. are you bitter because you weren't invited to the 10th grade prom last month?

Posted by: surly_w | July 21, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

periculum: From the previous posting wrt to you comment about Marrero

I recall the same, that Marrero was originally a 3B-man and was moved from 3rd to first. They moved him cuz RZimm was expected to be here a Long time.

Posted by: bigmook | July 21, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Now, do I see the Lerners/Kasten/Rizzo trading the "face of the franchise", No.

But at 40 games under .500, and being compared to the 1962 Mets on a frequent basis, that may make Nats Management rethink EVERYTHING, including RZimm's future.

Posted by: bigmook | July 21, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Guzman could move over and play third. In fact, after watching the "highlights" of last night's game with balls getting hit to the right and left of him, I think perhaps he needs to move to third.
_______________________________

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 21, 2009 5:36 PM |

Posted by: lowcountry | July 21, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Good point lowcountry. Guzzie does seem to have lost some of his range this year.

I could see RZimm in a Red Sox uniform, playing at Fenway.

Do I see it happening, probably not. But if the deal in right for RZimm, maybe this organization needs to consider it.

Posted by: bigmook | July 21, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Did everybody see that the Phillies have interest in Josh Willingham? Trade him before he gets hurt.

Also, I thought today, during my wonderful inservice for the upcoming school year, about the the love for JD here on the journal, and the backlash after last night. It got me wondering what if there is a reliable relationship between a players stats in the minors and its projection to performance on the major league level. Kind of like when colleges take the SAT score plus your H.S GPA to predict your collegiate GPA. Of course there is always the honor roll student who gets got up in clubbing and their grades tank. Then there's the H.S. average student who gets Dean's list. But the usually the formula is relatively predictive.

So I went through our starters this year, comparing their minor league stats (ERA, BB/9, SO/9, & WHIP) with their major league stats in those categories. Then I averaged out the difference amongst the six starters to find an average to apply to players. It isn't exact, but it is predictive. I even compared it to the MLB rookies like David Price and Tommmy Hanson. Again the numbers are close.
So here it is.

ERA: take the minor league stat and mulitply by 1.88- there's your major league average.

BB/9: take the minor league stat and multiply by 1.16 = major league average.

SO/9: take the minor league stat and multiply by .73 = major league stat.

WHIP: take the minor league stat and multiply by 1.15 = major league stat.

It is close look at Lannan's minor league line in 2007.
ERA: 1.66, BB/9: 2.8, SO/9: 6.3, WHIP: 1.1

Then apply the average it comes out to.
ERA: 3.12, BB/9: 3.2, SO/9: 4.59, WHIP: 1.26

Lannan's current average:
ERA: 3.64, BB/9: 3.0, SO/9: 3.9, WHIP: 1.3

All in all, what does this mean? The ERA climbs, the walks increase, the strikeouts drop, and the WHIP goes up. Only Zimmermann comparison had walks decrease and strike outs increase.

So we can project JD Martin as a major leaguer as this:

minor:
ERA: 2.66, BB/9: 1.0, SO/9: 6.4, WHIP: .97
Projection:
ERA: 5.00, BB/9: 1.16, SO/9: 4.6, WHIP: 1.12

An average soft tosser, who needs to locate to be successful. Could average 8-10 wins on a team that scores alot.

Posted by: wrw0601 | July 21, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Wow just what I want to see. The back of some guys head and what looks like a firework display. STOP with this Twittering b.s. No one is interested. It is just one more step away from face to face communication and we will all be sorry for it.

Posted by: MKadyman | July 21, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

wrw0601: I was just reading the MLBTradeRumors site, on the Phillies' interest in Willingham. I like his bat (once he got a chance to play everyday), and I don't think his defensive is as bad as he is made out to be, unlike Adam Dunn.

Posted by: bigmook | July 21, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Much like earth shoes, ponchos, and the AMC Pacer, the Twitter craze shall eventually die off, and those who partook will forsake their twits.

Posted by: Ted_Striker | July 21, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

and any fool would know that Polk will get called up after the roster expands on Sept. 1 - since he was an expansionist!

lowcountry, that was nice...

Posted by: baltova1 | July 21, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

All bets are off when you are 40 games under .500, unless you have a no trade clause.

Posted by: cokedispatch | July 21, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Boo Twitter.

Yeah Polk - trade him for a draft pick while his value is high...

And, I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I kinda like world of warcraft.....let the hazing begin....

Posted by: goexpos2 | July 21, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Polk, eh? Talk about a dark horse...

Posted by: Section506 | July 21, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

just listening to update on XM's MLB channel and espn is "reporting" that the nats may have trouble signing st. stephen strasburg. typical unnamed sources cited by reporter pedro gomez. sounds like boras wants to prod talks along and has gone to the media.

also jays gm j.p. riccardi now backing down somewhat on push to trade doc halliday. says if no deal is done by july 28 doc won't be traded. j.p. sounds a lot like jimbow going public with personnel information and then having to recant. some of these guys must like to hear their names mentioned in the media.

Posted by: surly_w | July 21, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Leeeeroy JENKINS!!!

Posted by: CBinDC | July 21, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

"STOP with this Twittering b.s. No one is interested. It is just one more step away from face to face communication and we will all be sorry for it."

A blog is an odd place from which to pen an anti-technology manifesto. Strictly speaking, shouldn't you be in a log cabin somewhere sans Internet access?

Just sayin'.

Posted by: joebleux | July 21, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

"sounds like boras wants to prod talks along and has gone to the media."

Probably more like the media is lacking material in the sports doldrums of mid-July, and they're making stuff up to prod Boras and the Nats to get something going.

Or, like Rosenthal's Manny-firing fabrication, they make it up now, and then when there are eventually fireworks on August 17, they say, "see, we told you so".

Posted by: joebleux | July 21, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Teh Twitter is not so different from here--just delete all the back-and-forth interaction, statistical analysis, and long-winded screeds about some point on the macro, and there you are.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 21, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

How about hat pictures? Arnie Harris used to have hat pictures.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 21, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Maybe if they promoted teh Twitter *on* teh twitter, instead of in here? Less aggro for the old growth? OH, OH, I KNOW ... BILLBOARDS!

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 21, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Prediction: Nats win tonight. Lannan pitches a gem and Olie is, well, Ollie.
Nats will play some decent D and score some runs.... and then tomorrow they will go back to the usual.

Posted by: chris88 | July 21, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

I checked out the twitter page last night after the game, and there was like one or two guys who had twittered. I seriously fail to see how this could be interesting. But knock yourselves out tweeters. It doesn't bother me when another fan isn't paying attention to the game.

Since Jon might be monitoring these comments, let me just say that I'm not a Luddite by any means. I thought the Grounds Crew was a great contribution last year, and I'd be happy to see it return. I love going to Nats Park (despite our sad sack team) and enjoy hearing what others think of it, and getting food or other recommendations from other fans.

Posted by: Section222 | July 21, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Nice work, wrw. You might be interested in the Minor League Equivalency calculator: http://www.minorleaguesplits.com/mlecalc.html

Someone's done all the number-crunching, going back some time, for all the different minor league. It's a fun toy.

Posted by: Scooter_ | July 21, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Crud. Forgot that calculator's only for batters. Well, I guess you've started the one for pitchers!

Posted by: Scooter_ | July 21, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

wrw0601 - Magnificent! Thank you! Would you do it for clay Buchholz? he had a miserable 2008 in the majors.

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 21, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Olie is Ollie?

Well, this is another fine mess you've gotten us into, Stan!

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 21, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Maybe ... maybe if the tweets came in rhymed quatrains ...

with a plug for some product at the end ...

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 21, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

OK, quatrains would be too long. Couplets. Sell ad space for, maybe Gillette, Schick, ... some personal hygiene thing ought to work.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 21, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

hot dogs cold?

can't get a beer?

why not send

a tweet right here?

Nats Twitters

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 21, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

@1a1

Burma Shave. LOL!

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 21, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 21, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Well the numbers are based on nationals pitchers this year, but hey lets give it a try.

Bucholz 2008 line.
Minors:
ERA: 2.47, BB/9: 3.5, SO/9: 8.9, WHIP: 1.21
Projection:
ERA: 4.64, BB/9: 4.06, SO/9: 6.5, WHIP: 1.39

Actual Major League 08 stats:
ERA: 6.75, BB/9: 4.9, SO/9: 8.5, WHIP: 1.76

- So his ERA was significantly higher, walks the same at 4, strikeouts higher than expected, WHIP higher than projected. It seemed 2008 Bucholz is a pitcher with major league stuff, but not major league poise.

His 09 line should project stats this year of:
ERA: 4.4, BB/9: 3.13, SO/9: 7.8, WHIP: 1.15.

Lets see.

BTW how nice is it to actually see the NATS with clutch hitting. GO Nats.

Posted by: wrw0601 | July 21, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Glad you liked it, leetee. Sec3 was my muse.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 21, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Great game by Lannan! Complete game shut out!

Posted by: poncedeleroy | July 21, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

WELL DONE John Lannan. Way to shrug off the dropped pop to get the CG shutout.

Posted by: SackMan | July 21, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

There's a new post up.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 21, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

"Since Jon might be monitoring these comments ... "

I do, and I appreciate the feedback -- all of it.

The couple folks who twittered Monday night were great, but yeah, it is a better project when more people are involved. Hence my posts here, which I hope are reaching a few people. And yes, I'm trying to reach out on Twitter, too.

Looked like a better variety tonight, which is nice -- including CNN's Ed Henry.

But it's not about the "stars" as much as reading and documenting what fans say about the gameday atmosphere at the park. It's an experiment, and we'll keep tweaking it and watching closely.

As always, I am open to suggestions for improving the product. Thanks again for the feedback ...

Jon

Posted by: Jon DeNunzio | July 21, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Best "tweet" of the night has to go to:

Section138: My wife just admitted she'd give "serious consideration" to charging the mound if Wil got hit by a pitch. Ah.... love.

Posted by: periculum | July 21, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse