Rizzo on Storen and Olsen

The following is a transcript of an interview with Mike Rizzo, the acting general manager, before the Washington Nationals' game tonight against the Chicago Cubs.

How is Drew Storen, the 10th pick in the draft, progressing?
He's pitching kind of how we expected him to pitch, specifically early on in his minor league career. We've got him at a level we thought would push him pretty good, and we're happy with his results so far.

Do you plan to move him up?
There's a possibility of that. I'm not sure, but like I've said before, I think you have to master the league before we move you up. He's leaning toward really making it tough not to move him up.

Do you have a plan for Scott Olsen?
The only plans we have for Olsen is he's got a second opinion on Monday. Past that, we're going to see what the other opinion says.

Who is he going to see?
Andrews.

Once you get past the trade deadline, is there a ballpark figure of the amount of minor league guys we could see up here?
We're not going to bring guys to the big leagues just to sit on the bench. We're going to bring guys that can help us in ball games and to help us evaluate them to the point where we've evaluated them in the minor leagues, we're going to evaluate them at the big league level to see going into the winter what we've got. With that said, September scouting can really muddy up the waters of evaluation because it's not really a true gauge of how the player can play in most cases.

You only have 40 slots you can bring up for the 40-man roster, and the phase they're at in their developmental careers is the most important thing.

Back to the Monday starter, do you feel like you will need to go down to Class AAA Syracuse to get a guy?
We'll probably go down to the minor leagues to get him.

Could Olsen be back for his next turn in the rotation, or could this be a prolonged absence?
Let's let Dr. Andrews answer that question instead of Mike Rizzo. He's much more qualified.

Is one of your young arms going to take turn?
Yeah, we're leaning toward one of the Syracuse guys taking the start. We haven't decided which one yet.

By Mark Viera  |  July 18, 2009; 8:03 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Olsen to Visit James Andrews
Next: J.D. Martin To Debut Tomorrow

Comments

dave just mentioned on the radio that jimbow courted milton bradley last offseason but bradley signed a comparable offer from the cubs. i guess jimbow wanted the first "all head-case tools" outfield of bradley-milledge-dukes.

Posted by: surly_w | July 18, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

If the Nats had signed Bradley, Manny probably would have had to be led from Nats Park babbling incoherently in a straight jacket.

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 18, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

I just wanted to point out that Zinn has K'd Soriano (who we "traded" for him) twice in two ABs. I'm enjoying watching this outcome play out so directly!

Posted by: HenryStin | July 18, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

manny's incoherent babbling would have matched his incoherent managing.

Posted by: surly_w | July 18, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Post of the day goes to Surly_W:

Oh, to have Frank Robby manage that trio!

Posted by: jdschulz50 | July 18, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody really believe Dukes will be back up here? I picture him being a throw-in to anybody who takes Nick. Or Guzzie? I really see Guzzie being marginalized the rest of the way (which may ony be until July 31).

Posted by: jdschulz50 | July 18, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Willie's not going to lose any sleep over that error.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | July 18, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

The amazing Willie Harris is an amazingly error prone second baseman.

Posted by: CluelessNatsFan | July 18, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Dribs is ripping Wil Nieves over Zimm's pitch selection. Who? Wil Nieves.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | July 18, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Is there any way Kearns can get a big hit ?

Posted by: JT2009 | July 18, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

A walk from .195 Kearns looks like a grand slam from that stiff.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | July 18, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

it's impossible for this team to pitch well and hit/score runs. It's one thing or the other. that's why winning is impossible.

Posted by: rachel216 | July 18, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

i give up hope. this team is hopeless and it is so sad. ;(

Posted by: rachel216 | July 18, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Hang in there everybody...we WILL get better. ...and after all the struggles, it's gonna be great. I promise you...it will be great.

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | July 18, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

You can do it Willie !!!!!

Posted by: JT2009 | July 18, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

bases loaded... and NOTHING!!! as usual!! can't even get a sac fly. goodnight everyone... actually i don't think anyone's watching the game anymore.

Posted by: rachel216 | July 18, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

i swear this is the worst team ever with the bases loaded!

Posted by: rachel216 | July 18, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Even on the rare occassions when the Nats have a lead, if they eventually lose, I have very little hope they will come back. Ever. Its so painfully just to watch them try to score.

Posted by: JT2009 | July 18, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Hi, surly w, jd, rachel, JT, clueless, HenryStin and Naugatuck (and anyone I left out inadvertently) - not in order of affection, friends all, fans of the home-town team, baseball lovers - JZimm deserved better; we all deserve better. As much as I hated to see Manny fired, I swear I didn't see opening at home after the All-Star break 0-3. Maybe they'll rally. But if not, watch the British Open at 9 am tomorrow.

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 18, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

When is Rick Eckstein going to be held accountable for the terrible situational hitting??? Its the same f-ing story with these guys.

Posted by: FloresFan | July 18, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Rally time? Or a 6-4-3 inning-ender?

Posted by: jdschulz50 | July 18, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Bradley does play the outfield like he almost team mates, Dukes and Milleage. Come on Nick !!!!

Posted by: JT2009 | July 18, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

No one I'd rather have right now than Nick.. . what an eye . . . great at bat . . . YES! Loaded again! And that walk goes to Nyjer and Larry Bowa's nephew, Nick Johnson. Anyone think they can score on this Cubs closer?

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 18, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Okay - Zimm, remind everyone why you are an All Star. Zimm - you can do it !!!!!

Posted by: JT2009 | July 18, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

A sac fly! A sac fly! Call the Smithsonian - something exceedingly rare was just seen flying in Southeast!

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 18, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

it's up to dunn now. come on!

Posted by: rachel216 | July 18, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Alright Flynnie...it's good to get some positive posts tonight!

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | July 18, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

...couldn't agre more with you about Nick J.

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | July 18, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Okay - Josh. Take one more for the team and let the ball hit you. Thats the best Nats offensive chance I am afraid.

Posted by: JT2009 | July 18, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Load 'em up! Ok, Josh Willingham - get hit by another one - that'd be fine. It looks like Wrigley with all the Cubs fans standing. Josh is pressing. I don't have a good feeling. I wish I'd been wrong.

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 18, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

...damn...

...heck of a scoop by Lee...just...damn...

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | July 18, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Where's 506 and Elwood the Rally Possum?

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 18, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

why pull willingham instead of dunn?

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | July 18, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Beautiful defensive top of the 9th by the infield, especially Zimm.

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 18, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

26-and-64...You can suck on it and like it. Careful driving home...

Posted by: jdschulz50 | July 18, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

And the happy fans file out of Wrigley East.

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 18, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Baltova1 - Let's root for Tom Watson tomorrow! His calm, his description of today's round as "serene," his whole manner is one of the more elevating things I've seen in sports.

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 18, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

if the nats ever get around to naming rights for trhe stadium, why not just call it welcome wagon park? this is where teams come to get well and stan invites opposing fans to come.

Posted by: surly_w | July 18, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Yes, go T.W. tomorrow. I hope I can keep my eyes open, cause it going to be another sleepless night.

Posted by: cokedispatch | July 18, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

note to the rest of the league: does your record need shoring up? need just one more sweep to content? come to welcome wagon park, where the nats are your friend!

Posted by: NatsNut | July 18, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

er...contend.

Posted by: NatsNut | July 18, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

When will the Nats address their horrible situational hitting ? Also, when was the last time we have seen a big hit ? Plus a key homerun ? Why do I continue to watch and think they can get better ? Not sure.....

Posted by: JT2009 | July 18, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

How bad can it get? Wrigley East, Fenway South, CitiSouth, CitizensBank II, TurnerNorth.

Thanks StanK, keep inviting them. See folks as long as the seats in Welcome Wagon Park are filled, who cares what team they are cheering for. Shameful!

Posted by: TippyCanoe | July 18, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

we'll keep the lightr on for you.

Posted by: surly_w | July 18, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

er...we'll keep the light on for you.

Posted by: surly_w | July 18, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

@Tippy

The Nats are just using the old "Susan O'<alley Promote the Opponents to Fill Seats" playbook she used when she marketed the Bullets in the 80s. In effect, you tell ticket buyers don't come to see your crappy home team but the stars on the other teams. Some of the Bullets said they felt as if they played 82 road games a season.

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 18, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

That should be Susan O'Malley...

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 18, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

flynnie2, definitely rooting for Watson tomorrow. Probably too good of a story to actually come true but we can hope.

Took a break from the Nats tonight and I think I'm glad. Hate to see J. Zimm get a tough loss. I think I've said this before but...(sigh). Here's to better days and soon.

Posted by: baltova1 | July 18, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Gosh, it's like a brand new team what with the new skipper and the get your red on revival and the very special letter from the team to the fans and all. Good thing they hit that reset button. Gee whiz, Stan and Mike are probably the smartest guys I know!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 18, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Welcome Wagon Park. That's classic. I can't wait until it's Bandwagon Park. It won't be long at all, because Stan and Mike said so. Yay!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 18, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

And 1A, don't forget the new name for NatsPark - Welcome Wagon Park! Here's to surly_w!

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 18, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Just got back from tonights P-Nats victory. Here are some reviews:
Terrence Engles looks like a legit starter in 2010 or 2011, in the line of Lannan, Stammen or Zimmermann. He had 5 K's in 6 1/3 innings. He was pitching 1 hit ball until he gave up back to back hits in the 7th. Atahualpa Severino was impressive and showed alot of poise. He came in a bases loaded situation in the 7th, only giving up one single and retiring two in a row with the pressure on. HE then pitched an efficient 8th and 9th innings retiring six straight batters. Looks to be a legit 7th or 8th inning set up guy.
Michael Burgess is really small in person. He is listed at 5'10" but looks more like 5'8". I wonder how he has so much power on that frame. But he showed decent range in the outfield. BTW he drives a sweet white escalade.
Chris Marrero seemed clutch at the plate and in the field.
Danny Espinosa looks to be the SS of the future. Zimmerman like defense but with better accuracy. I like future defense of Zimmerman at 3B, Espinosa at SS, Desmond/Hood at 2B, and Marrero at 1B. An outfield of Dunn at LF, Morgan/Bernadina at CF, and Burgess at RF.

theres my in person review for what its worth.

Posted by: wrw0601 | July 18, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

the nats are just a placeholder for the rest of the national league and selected american league teams as well. it's not enough to compete and keep falling short. but when you think about riggleman's record and the club personnel only johnson, belliard, guzman and tavarez (gulp!) know what it's like to play on teams that enjoyed at least modest postseason success. the rest are journeymen, has beens, never weres and glad to have major league jobs. hardly anyone on this island of misfit toys knows what it's like to win or consistently contend. this isn't natstown. this is welcome wagon park in loserville.

Posted by: surly_w | July 18, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

1a, I think you might be snarking, but surly you noticed a difference tonight -- didn't you see the genius in leaving the running-out-gas starter in for another batter? Dumb ol' Manny would have handed that game over to our stupid bullpen to be lost fer sure.

Much better for the young pitcher to have Soriano whack the snot of him. I'm sure it's good for his character and whatnot.

Posted by: joebleux | July 18, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

So THAT'S why Frank had to go? Didn't need any of that winning stuff rubbing off in Loserville.

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 18, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Sitting at his locker, Joe Beimel, a relief pitcher, acknowledged that losing can make it tough to get excited about going to work. "I keep saying it can't get any worse, and then something happens," he said.

Referring to the fans, Beimel said: "I've been kind of shocked no one gives you a hard time around here. Maybe they just don't care enough."

I know this has been repeated over and over on the boards today but honestly folks, you can't make this stuff up!
Believee me when I say this, the word is out in the league if you need a paycheck (smlaa as it may be) come on over to DC. No one will notice, no one will care, no one will ask any questions.

Posted by: TippyCanoe | July 18, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Flynnie, I second the call for the Return Of Elwood.

Sitting in section 107 tonight, in a sea of blue all around the park, I thought we (me and a few UMD fratboys behind me) held our own fairly well, considering, against the "LetsGoCub-bies" chants. "Nine-teen OH EIGHT" seemed to shut them up most of the time.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 18, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

but HONESTLY, I might have to think twice about sitting out there again. I thought I was behind the All-Incontinent Hall of Fame. One or more of them got up and left during every other at-bat. And came back, during at-bats. Geez Louise.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 18, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Gee, 1a1, those posts were pretty snarky. To paraphrase LBJ, "If I've lost 1a1, I've lost ...'' Oh, well, never mind.

Posted by: nats24 | July 19, 2009 1:39 AM | Report abuse

Very true, Scooter. Few now remember that the spread of Christianity was due in large part to Nero's unwillingness to open his wallet for the big free agent lions.
----------
lowcountry, this is my candidate for one of the best posts ever.

Posted by: nats24 | July 19, 2009 1:49 AM | Report abuse

Yes, definitely in snark mode last night joebleux and nats24. My compliments on your own contribution, joebleux.

Good work on the chant, sec3. Re. your other post, perhaps they were filming a commercial. You know, the one where there's a growing problem? Or was that a going problem? Anyhoo...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 19, 2009 6:32 AM | Report abuse

On the plus side, I see that the MLB Sunday is back in the dead-tree edition. Yay! Seriously. Now if we can just keep them away from PEDs in the future...

OTOH, I'd rather read about one of the Nats farm teams, as with the OP's feature on Derek Norris, than some hot head in a wiffle ball league. In re. that story, kinda ironic that Matt LeCroy is tutoring him on aspects of the game such as throws to second. Don't make the skipper cry, kid; make him proud. :-D

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 19, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

um, in re. the Norris story, that is.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 19, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Sec505203, I believe it was, made a point yesterday about the media, wondering why the Post in particular would not investigate the amazingly low levels of monetary support the Lerners are giving Kasten and Rizzo. The point was that NJ is a Post site, and we can have some small influence in persuading the Post to look into this.

Tom Boswell may be the best, most independently authoritative and objective on the Post staff, but even Tom steps lightly. For example, I recall Bos saying that the Nats' trade for Willingham and Olsen indicates that the Nats may now be ready to invest in players. These guys make less than $3 million a year each, and are the largest salary guys the GMs have ever been allowed to trade for under the Lerners! That's not a breakthrough.

Boswell also cites Dunn as an example of the turnaround, but Dunn is the only moderately expensive free agent signing the Nats have ever made. Inquiring minds want to know: why the lack of investment? Hello, WaPo?

A question for Sec 505203 or others: why is the Post so reticent? Is it concern over being banished from the owners' buffet? What about getting to hang out with the players and getting quotes? The Post reporters' livelihoods depend on access. Is that it?

Posted by: EdDC | July 19, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Well, the Northsiders might be lining us up for a sweep today - but at least we have a more recent World Series win.

That's about the best I can do for optimism this morning.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 19, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

hey Gang...just awakin' after three nights with 911, so I missed our three most recent efforts. Who cares?Well....WE do...but EdDC, I'm with you. Most of my harangues lately have been about the Slow Lerners(and that's just a hope!) and also the fact that for holding them accountable, the Post and Boz have been awfully wimbly-wambly....(i.e soft, simpering, fawning, scared) -at least in print and til recently a bit of tut-tutting.Kinda adds to the crushing sense that the folks most committed to the Nats success are just us ants and our ilk. Dang, though-I LOVE this game! I divorced my other 3 loves but this marriage appears to be for life!
Go Nats.....

Posted by: zendo | July 19, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

And seldom was heard, a discouraging word...

OK, so we got 5 runs last night. What's the Nats percentage of losing games when they score 5 or more runs? And what's the record on that?

OK, so we didn't score from 3rd with less than 2 out. What's the Nats pct on scoring from 3rd with less than 2 out? And the record on that?

C'mon, people, we have to get creative with our L'stats here (Loser stats).

One good thing about going to the game last night was I didn't listen to Sunshine and The Dribble. Tweeters kept me up-to-date on them, though. Apparently The Dribble is knowlegable about cats....

THE GOOD

1) OUTSTANDING weather (unbelievable for July 18 in DC). The chii dog/cheese nachos are yummy. Figured out how to multi-task (Tweet and IM) on my new phone. Is there a baseball scoring app out there?

2) Nice guys (Nats fans) sitting near me. One guy caught the T-Shirt, he dropped it but grabbed it back. Then some creep leaned over the rail, and stepped on the T-shirt til the first guy let go. Creep ran off. Then creep had the nerve to come back in the 8th inning and sit in the empty seat next to me--that lasted 20 seconds. I gotta a mouth on me from growing up on the SOUTH side of Chicago.

3) Nats were ahead for part of the game. JZimm was striking 'em out like bowling pins.

4) Managed to find my way out of Lot 7 without ending up in Maryland.

THE BAD

1) End result of the game (hardly deserves a mention, I know)

2) Cubs fans on the RFK bus home, drunk and screaming and threatening to kick everyone else off the bus. And then they started on the Bears. Do I need football in July?

But not as bad as what happened to Miss Chatter, whose car was parked in a lot that was a crime scene. And by the way the crime apparently involved trucks dumping garbage--smelly!!!

3) End result of the game (oh, did I mention that already?)

4) End result of the game.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 19, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

They haven't got the players. Yelling at them or the umpires, double switching, situational hitting, losing sleep, shaking up the lineup, bringing up the minor leaguers, firing the manager and the coaches, booing, sacrificing a goat or a Yankee fan at homeplate -- none of that stuff is going to help cause they don't have the players. Either the owners are going to wake up or they really are in it just skim the revenue sharing. In the meantime, nothing to be done.

Posted by: markfromark | July 19, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Copy that, markfromark.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 19, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

NatsLady, thanks for the report. My Chicago baseball buddy grew up in the suburbs of Chicago and also has a mouth on her. ;-) She is, sadly, a Cubs fan but I managed to get her on board the Nats bus during her visit here in the first half of 2005. She also made it out for visits in 2006 and 2007 and was able to keep some Nats love alive. She couldn't get out here last year but I'm hoping that perhaps she can make it this year and see the new park.

On another note, at an RFK Nats game some years ago, I sat next to a guy who was using scoring software. He was kind enough to give me a demo (and update me on a double switch). I can't remember which software it was, but a quick Google turned up a few possibilities. I think it may have been the ScorePAD software but I'd have to look at my old scorecard to verify that (I wrote it on there during the game.)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 19, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

@EdDC.
I think you're dead wrong about Boswell going easy on the Lerners. In fact I've winced a couple times thinking, "ouch, boswell. that hurt and I'm not even the Lerners."

He lit into them about not spending for some quality players for 2008 while we were building. He gave them nasty warnings about what would happen if they didn't make some noticeable, bankable changes to the team and the fan experience. And he most recently lit into them for being unavailable to the public and inaccessible to the media. And he didn't mince words either:

"The Lerners are doing a pretty shameful job of hiding while their team is a national punch line. Their public "statement" on Monday amounts to almost nothing. Just "be patient" and trust us.

"Somebody in the family needs to step up and confront all the perfectly fair and tough questions that they customers want to have answered.

One major problem: they've designated Kasten as their face (and mouth), but they haven't given him decision-making authority comparable to what he had in Atlanta. Or they haven't given him the authority to give his GM the authority to go out and make deals that are costly.

"The Lerners, so far, want it both ways. On all significant financial decisions, the "buck" always stops with them. Meaning Ted. But the public accountability doesn't.

"When things are really bad, that's when any boss, or CEO, needs to step up -- even if he's uncomfortable -- and address his customers' concerns.

"Why don't they? The Lerners are private, embarrassed and unaccustomed to 1) failing or 2) having to answer to public criticism. Well, they bought a ballclub. Nobody forced them to do it. This is part of what comes with the territory. They need to get over it.

Posted by: NatsNut | July 19, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, 1a, I will check those out. Don't have an iPhone or iTouch but might be able to find something.

Heading to Welcome Wagon Park again today (LOVE that name, also absolutely adore the post about the lion free agents, we got some real humorists here).

Posted by: Nats_Lady | July 19, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

You're welcome, NatsLady. May the force be with you today.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 19, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

MORE OF THE SAME: Clutch hitting is non exsistent,poor pitch selection,game changing errors, reports of cheap ownership by out of town media,home field advantage at Nationals Park for opposing clubs,culture of losing continues, no real team leader in the clubhouse or on the field. The good news is that the minor league teams seem to be holding their own even though there are only a few top prospects, Rizzo's got his work cut out for him and while his status is up in the air Chicago Cub broadcasters think he is the odds on favorite to get the job, so fellow posters what do you think?

Posted by: dargregmag | July 19, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

NatsNut,

That's a strong comment you provided on accountability--keeping quiet and not letting Bowden/Rizzo and Kasten make the real decisions.

Nonetheless, I keep looking for an in-depth analysis of the Nats' paltry payrolls relative to the other clubs. I would like an explanation or analysis about why the Nats have to skimp on the drafts. I would like some discussion about why the Nats do not venture into the international market much. I would like some analysis (beyond the mild praise Boswell gives the Olsen-Willingham trades) of why the Nats' GMs are only allowed to trade for bargain basement salaries.

You and I are concerned about two different things. You quote Boswell on accountability. I want investment up to MLB average, or at least not too far below average for MLB clubs.

That's not asking too much at all. Why should the Nats be near the bottom in investment? Someone should call the Lerners on this. I hope it is Boswell. He does mention cheapness from time to time. Last winter he did scold the Nats for their lack of participation in the free agent market. He does it a little.

I would like to see a sophisticated analysis of what a club in this large and wealthy region should be investing in the club, and then comparing that to the Nats' level of investment. I would like to see a Post series on the stunning lack of investment, written by Shenin or some other reporter. This issue goes beyond mere public silence.

Posted by: EdDC | July 19, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Are you kidding me? Considering what Bowden p---ed away on 'quality' players like Austin Kearns, Lastings Milledge, etc., who would allow him to spend in the free market? He was the Nats no 1 problem. Kearns, Belliard should be dumped now. Trade Johnson and Dunn. Bring up some kids who will play. If they lose 120 or more, so what? At least they'll know if they have some quality kids on the farm almost ready. Every position on the 25 man roster ought to be up for grabs, with the possible exception of Zimmerman.

Posted by: shemtof | July 19, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse