Rockies 1, Nats 0

Final score from Coors: Rockies 1, Nats 0. The scoring was over and done with before you could even twitter about it.

Not that I won't try: "Bot 1: C. Barmes H to RF. T. Helton 2B to LCF, C. Barmes scores." There -- 66 characters. Wuzn't even tuf!

No matter the outcome, I love a classic 1-0 game. That's what we had tonight. A pair of sinkerball pitchers battled frame-by-frame with the same, simple approach: Keep it low, get grounders, work fast. After Craig Stammen allowed that run in the first, he recovered for one of his best outings of the year. He retired the side in the second with just seven pitches. He forced three straight grounders to Nick Johnson in the fourth. He even got three double plays -- though two came by way of lucky lineouts. His final line: 7 IP, 5 H, 1 BB, 3 K.

Now, how to account for the sudden ace-ishness of Jason Marquis? The guy, before winding up in Colorado, was a middling pitcher. Now, he's an all-star. (I have more on this transformation in my gamer.) What he's accomplished this year is pretty phenomenal. This was his 11th win, tops in the majors. He's now tossed eight or more innings in six of his 17 starts. Oh, and get this -- he was acquired this offseason in exchange for reliever Luis Vizcaino. Who's since been DFA'd by the Cubs. And the Indians.

Too bad the Nats couldn't trade Kip Wells for Josh Beckett.

By Chico Harlan  |  July 6, 2009; 11:55 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: From (Suddenly Sunny) Coors Field
Next: Reading Material

Comments

Many NJers were dreaming of trades like Wells for Beckett...

Posted by: swang30 | July 7, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Yeah. The dumb ones....

Posted by: ABHFGTY | July 7, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Do you guys think Guzman is on his computer sending in vote after vote for himself like we are?

Posted by: big_game_lannan | July 7, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

I'm good for a few hundred votes BTW.

Posted by: big_game_lannan | July 7, 2009 12:37 AM | Report abuse

We have to be impressed and encouraged by Stammen's outing. A lot of posters here tend to dismiss him and his supposed lack of stuff, but he's getting it done. Who wouldn't take his line tonight every time out?

Posted by: nats24 | July 7, 2009 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Stammen did the job. Detwiler looks like the odd man out to join Martis down in AAA. Still it looks to be a really excellent selection of potential starting pitchers from AAA and the majors combined! Even without Strasberg! They really needed some hitting and fielding and not pitching perhaps?

Posted by: periculum | July 7, 2009 1:15 AM | Report abuse

I'll take the Nats' 1-0 loss instead of Cincinnati's TWENTY-TWO-to-ONE loss against the Phillies any day...

Posted by: Juan-John | July 7, 2009 2:40 AM | Report abuse

Wow. I had a feeling that was going to be a high-scoring game when they knocked out the starting pitcher with 7 runs in the 1st. Then I clicked over to MLB Network in the 4th and they had 12 runs.

Didn't see the Nats game (too late for me) but was surprised to see the score this a.m. 1-0 is something else in that ballpark. Good for Stammen and too bad he couldn't get some run support. I was hoping that the bats might wake up with trips to Coors and Minute Maid Miniature Golf Course, um, Park.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 7, 2009 5:57 AM | Report abuse

whada ya know the face of the franchise chokes again when was the last time he got a big hit?

Posted by: dargregmag | July 6, 2009 10:41 PM

++++++++++++++++++++++

Saturday

Posted by: NatsNut | July 7, 2009 6:11 AM | Report abuse

I'm not voting for Guzzie because he didn't sound too into it really. I bet he needs a break. We could actually be punishing the guy by voting him in when all he really wants is a couple days off to chill.

Posted by: NatsNut | July 7, 2009 6:23 AM | Report abuse

Even if we all vote for him I doubt he'll get in. Nats Nation is still pretty small.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 7, 2009 6:29 AM | Report abuse

Viva Stammen! A very well pitched effort.

The Nats had their chances to win, uhhh but that would take a clutch hitter to be in the lineup. Bard had the best hit with a runner on second but the runner could only advance to third. Dunn had started by crashing a shot to the outfield wall but he jogged like it was a training warmup to first base, then seeing that the right fielder and the ball were still separated by about 50 feet he jogged to second. Willingham singles to left field. First and third, no outs. We should get one run across, right? Guzman hits it about 60 feet to the pitcher, Dunn does a Dukes at third (basically his second boneheaded baserunning play of the inning) and the Nats have now first and second with one out. Bard singles in front of Hawpe, bases loaded. Belliard of the fear inducing .177 average hits into a molar- grinding double play. Just one freaking run with a runner on third and no outs--is that really too much to ask for?

On the glass half full side of things: good defense tonight (Guzman's error did not cost us), Morgan's stolen base was not even close, Bard is earning my respect with his hard-nosed playing while injured--he even produces good hits and Stammen shows why he should stay in the lineup.

Posted by: driley | July 7, 2009 7:09 AM | Report abuse

Bard is still terrible behind the plate, however good he is at the plate. Catcher is the only defensive position I care about, and look what he's doing to me! Throwing my own arguments back in my face.

Posted by: Section506 | July 7, 2009 7:43 AM | Report abuse

Upon reflection, the Phillies really should have done better. After all, in the Rangers 30-3 game at Baltimore, they scored 25 of their runs from the 6th inning on, and they didn't have any until the 5-run 4th. The Phillies, OTOH, scored 10 in the first, and ended up with only 22. Pretty lame, really. ;-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 7, 2009 7:47 AM | Report abuse

It's more of a township really...

Posted by: natbiscuits | July 7, 2009 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Why would you even vote for Guzman? He doesn't deserve it over those other guys. Vote for the deserving players. What are you Red Sox/Yankees fans?

Posted by: RickFelt | July 7, 2009 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Count me among those who loves pitchers duels like last night's game. A quick, and hopefully correct, check at baseball-reference.com shows that last night's game was the seventh 1-0 game at Coors Field since the stadium opened in 1995. All seven have come since 2005 (there was one such game in 2005, three in 2006 and two last season).

Posted by: VaNat | July 7, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Not sure which is accurate, but the gamer on the team site has this as the eighth such game at Coors (with one more having been played at Mile High Stadium):

With Monday's game, there have been nine 1-0 games played in Colorado, eight of them at Coors Field.

Date Winner Loser
*Aug. 10, 1994 Rockies Braves
July 9, 2005 Rockies Padres
April 26, 2006 Phillies Rockies
July 25, 2006 Cardinals Rockies
Aug. 1, 2006 Brewers Rockies
June 11, 2008 Rockies Padres
Sept. 14, 2008 Rockies Dodgers
Sept. 17, 2008 Rockies Padres
July 6, 2009 Rockies Nationals

* - Played at Mile High Stadium.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 7, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Interesting that the Rockies started using the ball humidor in 2006, I believe.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 7, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

I was at the game last night... bought the $4 rock pile tickets and ended up watching the half the game standing behind home plate. I saw a grand total of 2 Nats hats allll night (excluding the little league team that rooted for just about anything that moved) until I saw a mini-section on the 3rd base line consisting of about 10 people all wearing Stammen jerseys. I see he's from Ohio... any other reason why 10 people in Colorado would be rooting for a rookie pitcher from Ohio?

Posted by: Dorf | July 7, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

D'oh! Make that 2002.

---

Interesting that the Rockies started using the ball humidor in 2006, I believe.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 7, 2009 8:18 AM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 7, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Carrying forward my own curmudgeonly rant:

NatsNut, I think that we may have to agree to disagree on this one. This blog has a meta-topic, and the comments/snark tend to revolve around that. Also, there is a back-and-forth here, which I gather is not necessarily the case with Twitter, which seems to be more along the lines of a monologue by design. I liked the take of one of the writers in the OP the other day, which was something to the effect that a twit tweets, "I'm walking across the street now." Then you read in the paper the next day that a pedestrian was hit by a bus while tweeting. The Internet has many benefits, but to me, Twitter is just another example of the web's potential for dumbing down the world, 140 characters at a time. Context is everything in communications, and Twitter does not allow much room, if any, for that. And now Twitter is popping up as a journalistic source. These kids today. Sigh. ;-)

---

okay, I only JUST signed up for twitter last friday and I'm already seeing that twitter is EXACTLY the same thing that we do here.

And if you find yourself scrolling through wordy comments here, you'll actually be happy to know that on twitter, 1) you only follow people whose threads you WANT to read and 2) THEY'RE UNDER 140 WORDS.

So please, try it before you knock it. Especially if you're going to knock it in this forum, where you're posting more often than the twits who are tweeting.

(exhale) okay rant over.

Posted by: NatsNut | July 6, 2009 9:18 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 7, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

I think most people feel the same way about Twitter, but this article in Time changed my views a little:

Posted by: NeedANatsFix | July 7, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

How many times has Ronnie Bellard come up with the bases loaded this year? Yeesh! Why wasn't Willie Harris put in to pinch hit for him?

Posted by: raymitten | July 7, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Ray
Not 100% sure, but I think Willie had already been used as a PH earlier.

Posted by: TomServo | July 7, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

"Ray
Not 100% sure, but I think Willie had already been used as a PH earlier."

Nope. He was on deck to PH for Stammen in the top of the seventh, but didn't when Belliard GIDP to end the inning. Stammen went back out to pitch the seventh.

Posted by: section417 | July 7, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse