Today's Lineups

Willingham - 9
Guzman - 6
Hernandez - 4
Nieves - 2
Lannan - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  July 4, 2009; 10:21 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Braves 9, Nats 8
Next: How Good Will John Lannan Be?

Comments

When in the course of human events it becomes necessary for a team to get a win...

Have a safe and happy Independence Day, everyone. At some point today take a gander at the Declaration of Independence, it's all the more marvelous every year.

GO NATS.

Posted by: Section220 | July 4, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

natteringnabob:

I think it's 50/50 between the modern fan and the function of DC as a baseball town. My friend and I, who've been going to games together for 30 years - first in B'more (not O's fans though) and now in DC - always comment to each other about how little baseball is talked in the stands now as compared to the pre"explodong scoreboards" era. The between innings time particularly used to be a few minutes to dissect the game or the team. Now everyone looks at the bloopers and the Kiss Cam. One thing that has to be admitted though by us "old-schoolers": MLB attendance is way up across the board since teams went to all the bells and whistles in the stadiums.

I have to say also though that Nats fans on the whole are a "sit on your hands" bunch as compared to most cities. I'm always embarrassing my 14 year old with my loud cheering because it stands out so much. There just aren't the years of baseball loyalty built up here. Of course it would also be better if there were more to cheer about. I went to a few games at Shea and at Yankee Stadium a few years ago. There are many more profanity laced evaluations of the players at those games.

#4

Posted by: db423 | July 4, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Thanks 220! Thanks to RicketyCricket, HotNats (didn't mean anything personal by mis-spelling your handls "HoNats", Deargregmag and all who made me feel less alone at the loss of my Uncle Bud Kaufman in Atlanta, who helped me love baseball. Poster who taught your 11 year old to care, believe me, you have given him a life-long gift. You can tell from the parking lots that this is NatsTown; the crowd roars when good things happen for the home team. But I too have noted the younger set in their mating rituals, electronic and otherwise, paying no attention whatever to the game. And those to who have learned to care about the game will return to it for solace when the hormonal tide ebbs. Terrific, thought-provoking posts about the similarities in ownership from the Nats/Lions fan and others. What a great community this is! Lannan's pitching - let's win today!

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 4, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Flynnie2: Thanks for being a real fan trust me here in the A-T-L it ain't easy but i shall persevere. If there's anything i can do let me know my e mail is dargregmag@aol.com.

Posted by: dargregmag | July 4, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I was at the game last night and frankly I have to say that the younger crowd moved from the Bullpen to the Loft by the 3rd inning and I doubt anyone up there had a clue of what was going on down on the field. However much to my surprise I did strike up a conversation with a absolutely knock-out 20 something and she actually was able to speak Nats. Turned out we hung out for the rest of the game and it was interesting to get the perspective from a Congressional staffer who actually came to see the game. Of course I did not mind simply idea of yacking with a 26 year old. BTW when telling my wife about the tales of the game she said me and the guys who went to the game are a bunch of pervs, hounding on women young enough to be our daughters, Go figure!

Posted by: TippyCanoe | July 4, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

My brother and I attended a game at halcyon RFK a few years back and some newbie spectators (i can't call them fans) sat behind us chattering about everything except the game. There was this one particularly annoying 20-something woman who had a very whiny loud voice and wasn't shy about letting people know that she wasn't enjoying herself. For several innings she kept up her monologue harangue about how she didn't like her seats, the temperature, the bugs, the food, the noise, the people who were going up and down the aisles and everything else about whuich to complain. Mercifully, she and her group left about the sixth or seventh inning and even though nothing was happening on the field, most of the fans in section 526 let out a cheer because "that annoying woman" as she came to be referred had left.

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 4, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

OK, it's it holiday, gorgeous weather--I'm breaking down. No tweets, though.
--Section 316 (just for today)

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 4, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I know Vin Scully has been with the Dodgers a looong time, but he did get his pro radio start in DC, so maybe we could talk him into coming back here...

either as a CF (his college position), or maybe a reliever or even manager????

Posted by: TWTIB | July 4, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

"I have to say also though that Nats fans on the whole are a "sit on your hands" bunch as compared to most cities. I'm always embarrassing my 14 year old with my loud cheering because it stands out so much. There just aren't the years of baseball loyalty built up here."
___________________________

You go 64 years without a contender -- and without a team for half that time -- and you'd have a "sit on your hands" attitude, too. That would be true anywhere -- Detroit, Philadelphia, St. Louis, even "hallowed" Boston, whose pink-hatted fans think they invented the game.

I'm 53, and I hope to live to see the day when a genuine baseball culture exists in Washington.

Posted by: VPaterno | July 4, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone else get really annoyed at the scoreboard exhortations for fans to MAKE SOME NOISE?

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 4, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

the good thing about this being a day game is that i won't have to go to directly to sleep angry should there be another bullpen implosion.

Posted by: surly_w | July 4, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Hey, VPaterno, I'm 53 too and went to many baseball games at RFK in the Chuck Cottier - Frank Howard era. I was amazed at the quiet, unexcited aura that hung over the stadium.

As I got older, I had the chance to catch games in Detroit, Boston, Baltimore, Seattle, L.A. and throughout Japan (Air Force). I was stunned at the difference between the loud and raucus fans elsewhere (except Seattle) and marveled at the absolute craziness of the fans in Japan.

Maybe D.C. will never have one of those fan bases that embarass the city through its antics and excessive drinking.

Hmmm. I guess that's what we have Congress for?

Posted by: rushfari | July 4, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

The fans cheered plenty in 2005. They cheered plenty in 1969 and early 1970. Give 'em something to make noise for and they will be loud and supportive. As for me, I get turned off by scoreboard attempts to get me to clap and cheer. I also am thinking about visiting the cappo de tutti cappo and putting out a contract on Clint. As for fans who sit on their hands, anyone been to a Toronto Blue Jays game?

Posted by: MMilzman | July 4, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

It's going to take generations for there to be a real, hardcore fanbase here - and that will only happen with good ownership (so, big question mark there!). Hopefully we'll get there

Another thing working against the Nats - baseball is SO white and SO middle class in this area. For many reasons, none really the fault of the current club. I don't think there's a single hugely successful sports organization on earth without a solid working class wedge of fans. We're not even close here. That's why the Redskins have 90,000 show up and we get 15k (some nights). Blue collar guys from all over MD, VA and DC have followed the Skins for decades. They're not really coming to Nats Park.

When I went to the home opener in 2005 with my Dad (Senators fan) - I told him, "this feels a little like a Redskins crowd, and that's good". Sadly, I think the Lerners have smashed that early positive sign.

But winning and letting the club settle in to the new stadium can only help. Heck, people are starting to think of DC as kind of a hockey town - so stranger things have happened!

Posted by: Kev29 | July 4, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Very frustrating evening last night at Nats Park. Why did Acta pull Willie Harris for a pinchhitter in the 8th? Willie is one of the few bright lights in recent games, and he has a very respectable on base percentage and OPS (over 800). And where is he in today's lineup?

Also, the Braves used sac bunts to move runners up in three innings, with the #4, #5 and #6 hitters sacrificng themselves successfully. Acta should learn something from seeing this.

Posted by: hlee2 | July 4, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse