Tonight's Lineups

Willingham - 9
Guzman - 6
Harris - 4
Bard - 2
Detwiler - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  July 3, 2009; 2:48 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Strasburg, The Japan Possibility, And A Comparison
Next: Pre-Game Notes

Comments

That's the best lineup the Nats have put out there in a long time.

Posted by: AnonymousSources | July 3, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

paul, go to settings. hit the 'devices' tab and put your phone number. when you tweet from your phone, put #natswp anywhere in the "update" and that makes it post on PostSports as well as your own page.

Posted by: NatsNut | July 3, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

mlbtraderumors, says the Rizzo turned down the Pirates not only for Stammen but for Mock as well. I like that. Also, it says the Mets think Willingham instead of Johnson. He would play corner OF and 1B.
Question how come we never consider putting Willingham at 1st? Instead we use the potatoe, Dunn. Willingham is more athletic right?

Posted by: wrw0601 | July 3, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Welcome Nyjer!

I'll be cheering him on from Sec.101 this evening.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 3, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

"Question how come we never consider putting Willingham at 1st? "

Because Willingham isn't a first baseman. If he was, he'd have played more than 3 innings in his entire career at that position by now.

Posted by: joebleux | July 3, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Yes, here's the latest concoction from from the alchemist. Surely this will turn our lead into gold!! I believe Boz is on to something about the team as a whole being less than the sum of the parts. I can only hope it's the effect of too much snake oil from the Bowden era. Way too much churning of marginal players to create any kind of continuity or self confidence. The mindset of the team is "Some how, some way, we will fail". Don't think Manny is entirely to blame but to change the mindset he may need to go also. It's more illusion than reality but if they think things will be different (better) then it may break the failure loop that is currently running. Oh well, makes for interesting theater. Can always hope Detweiler pitches a shutout.

Posted by: SackMan | July 3, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I'll be there cheering Nyjer as well, and also hoping for the unlikely prospect of live-witnessing a 2-home run evening for Dunn to get to the 300 milestone!

Posted by: HotNats | July 3, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait to see Capn Morgan lead off tonight. Glad Willie is in the lineup and at 2nd tonight. Since I live in Braves TV territory, I'm forced to watch Braves feed this weekend. Oh well, I'll live.

Posted by: cokedispatch | July 3, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Interesting line-up, I'm excited to see Morgan in lead-off and to have Guzman finally batting 6th where he belongs, odd to see Harris at 2B, I wonder if that is for tonight only or if they have re-thought his status as an outfielder only. Maybe they are highlighting him for a trade...

As for trades I think the most likely position players to go are;

1. Nick Johnson
2. Willie Harris
3. Josh Willingham
4. Adam Dunn
5. Austin Kearns
6. Ronnie Belliard

Personally I think the team intends to hold onto Dunn and Willingham, ship Johnson and Harris, DFA Belliard and keep Kearns through the end of the season. Dukes will be back up after Nick is traded and play full time in RF (Willingham to LF and Dunn to 1B).

Posted by: estuartj | July 3, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Woops, I should have inserted Christian Guzman as #3 on my trade list, I'm not sure anyone will want to pick up his $8mil salary - his bat is fine, but his quickly declining range will make that $8mil in '10 look WAY over market value.

Posted by: estuartj | July 3, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

"The degree to which the Lerners ignored Kasten's precepts, as well as his inability to pitch his ideas and his unwillingness to take a use-me-or-lose-me stand, is stunning.

"In summer 2006, Kasten envisioned that by 2009, the plan would be obvious. The team would sign free agents before moving into a new park in 2008. Every team does. With new revenue coming, it improves the product. I wrote it all down."

"That was then. What happened? . . . Get the picture? Kasten's plan called for judicious steady spending, consistent with expected revenue. That hasn't happened in Washington."

"The reasons for that damage, like any hopes for the future, start not with relievers, coaches or even managers. They start right at the top. And can only be fixed there."

Boswell, June 5, 2009

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 3, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

That being said, let's beat the gloom and doom, let's prove the experts wrong, let's start a win streak!

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 3, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

My heart's in my throat for this one. My Uncle Bud Kaufman, a native New Yorker who landed at Utah Beach, died last night. He returned from the war with his love of baseball and his sense of humor intact. He settled in Atlanta, married my beautiful Aunt Betty (who made the best hamburgers I've ever eaten) and had three great ballplayer sons who always included me in the 8 hour games we would play in a nearby cemetary. After my Dad died when I was 9, Uncle Bud included our house in his business trips - a 9 hour drive from his place in Atlanta. We'd end up on the couch watching a Braves game through the magic of cable TV. I became a Nats fan the first time I saw them play the Braves at RFK. But I never minded losing to the Braves as much as any other team because I knew Uncle Bud would have a good day. Tonight's the first time that a Braves win brings me no consolation.

Posted by: flynnie2 | July 3, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

SPECIAL NATIONALS JOURNAL OFFER

I do not post very often here, but I get a great deal of enjoyment (and some frustration) from reading NJ. Hence, my desire to give back to the community.

My season tickets are in Section 133L, Row D - which is the front row after the handicapped concourse, four seats together on the aisle. The people who were orginally going to use them on both Saturday and Sunday can no longer use them. I would hate to see such great tickets go unused on such a gorgeous weekend. It would be down-right unpatriotic.

Hence, I offer them to the NJ community for free. The only conditions are:

1. You have to pick them up from my house (near the zoo, in Northwest).

2. You promise to use them and not sell them.

If interested, please email me at kbertram at gmail dot com. Let me know if you prefer Saturday or Sunday, as I want to give away both.

Kevin

Posted by: kevinx | July 3, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and for each day, there is also a parking pass in Lot M.

Posted by: kevinx | July 3, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Flynnie

My condolences on the loss of your uncle, that was a wonderful reflection you wrote. Be blessed and thanks Mr. Kaufman for your service to our country and to Flynnie's family. We need more men like him.

Posted by: jfromPG | July 3, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Since Dukes was demoted Syracuse has played 3 games (and another tonight at 7pm), but Dukes has yet to appear.

Anything up you think

Posted by: estuartj | July 3, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and one more condition:

3. You must say my daughter in her nationals get-up on the big screen looks adorable. http://www.kevinbertram.com/avatar2.jpg

Posted by: kevinx | July 3, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Flynnie: My condolences also on the loss of your beloved Uncle Bud. As a veteran myself, I respect and honor him as a fellow brother-in-arms and I appreciate his service to our country in time of war. From your short story about him, he sounds like he was a wonderful man.

Posted by: NickfromGermantown | July 3, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Flynnie,
I offer condolences well. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Posted by: chris88 | July 3, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

That is an interesting line-up. Not much in the way of speed at the top, but if Morgan can get on....More than anything else I'd like to see Ross get that first win.

Posted by: thegraneys | July 3, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Thanks NatsNut!

Posted by: paulkp | July 3, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

estuartj

Maybe he's been traded for a decent prospect. You know, one that runs, and catches and hits and shows up to work ten minutes early every day.

Posted by: soundbloke | July 3, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Thanks everybody, the tickets have been taken.

Kevin

Posted by: kevinx | July 3, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

I wish MASN wouldn't just flat out lie to us by saying they've won 6 in a row at home against the Braves. Considering we've won 0 in a row at home against them.

Posted by: RickFelt | July 3, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

I've been away today and am catching up with comments and posts. I also offer my condolences to Flynnie as well as appreciation for his uncle's service.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 3, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

And that was a nice gesture, Kevin.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 3, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse