Tweeting At Nats Park

Dear Nats blogger/Twitterer/fan:

Hi. I'm Jon DeNunzio, one of the editors in The Post's Sports department, and I'm looking for some help with an experiment this weekend. We're considering a project that would capture and display Twitter posts from fans at Nationals Park during games. The primary goal is to get a feel for the stadium experience now that the park is broken in, so to speak. So we're especially interested in Tweets about food and drink (and the ease/difficulty in getting them), seats and sightlines, ticket prices and other costs, pre-, in- and post-game entertainment, etc etc etc. Anything that sheds a little light on what it's like to be at the game -- good and bad -- would be useful.

We're hoping to test this concept at the three Braves games this weekend, with much fuller implementation at the long homestand that starts July 16.

How can you help? Pretty simple: if you're at any of the games this weekend, it would be fantastic if you Tweeted a few times before/during/after (especially during) with these two hash tags attached: #natswp and #[section number]. Example: "The beer guy is offering half-price Miller Lite right now! #natswp #230"

If you really are motivated, you could also mention this on your blog or Tweets. Up to you. I'll be tweeting about it shortly on @PostSports, too, if you wanna RT the call to action.

Since we're not ready to go completely public with this yet, I set up a blog and am displaying the #natswp tweets in the sidebar. You can check it out here: http://nunztest.wordpress.com -- and add comments/suggestions, etc there, or by emailing me back, or by Twitter to @jondenunzio or @PostSports. I am really interested in feedback.

Thanks for considering helping us out, and have a great holiday weekend.

Sincerely,

Jon

By Jon DeNunzio  |  July 2, 2009; 2:27 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Nats And The International Market
Next: Dukes Won't Be Around To Run

Comments

does nats park offer WiFi?

Posted by: sect104 | July 2, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

listening to mets-pirates makeup game on XM. t. redding's line 2.1-6-5-5-2-2. 5-0 buccos in bottom of 3rd.

jdn

is this kinda like year two of the ballpark critics blog that was so hit or miss last season?

Posted by: surly_w | July 2, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

@Jon:

Is there an English translation for this?

Posted by: jdschulz50 | July 2, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

i tawt i taw a puddy...oh, tweeting not tweety. never mind.

Posted by: surly_w | July 2, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

417 has established that i don't get to the ballpark as often as I should but I would join twitter just so I could post the tweet on the scoreboard:
"Hey! Stop tweeting, and watch the damn baseball game!!!"

Posted by: soundbloke | July 2, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

fubar the snafu, a-okay, hitting the curl as in curly "w"

Posted by: periculum | July 2, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

But you don't have to actually be at the game! The rival team's fans should have a ball with this....

How did fans of old enjoy games with out PEDs and tweets - ah, the nostalgia...

Posted by: goexpos2 | July 2, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

jdschultz50:

"I'll be tweeting about it shortly on @PostSports, too, if you wanna RT the call to action.

Is there an English translation for this?"

Yes, it's:

"I'll be sending out a message about this on my PostSports Twitter page, too, if you want to forward [ReTweet] the call to action."

Posted by: diogenes_quixote | July 2, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Nats Park has WiFi. This is particularly useful if you have SlingPlayer Mobile.

Posted by: GoNatsTerps | July 2, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

First Boz talks about $6 beers and now Jon mentions half-price Miller Lite. If this has (or ever had) any basis in fact, you owe it to the thirsty Nats fans here to give us the precise details, and make Boz own up about the beer prices. We've suffered enough this season to be given false hope about cheaper brew at Nats Park.

Posted by: nats24 | July 2, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure that this is such a great idea. Perhaps we should wait until our play actually improves.

Posted by: lowcountry | July 2, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

lowcountry

tweeting may be obsolete by then.

Posted by: surly_w | July 2, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

We can only hope :)
________________________
tweeting may be obsolete by then.

Posted by: surly_w

Posted by: lowcountry | July 2, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Lord help us. The 14 yr olds have taken over.

Do any of the grownups at the Post think this is a Good Thing ?

Posted by: TWTIB | July 2, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

But what's that in lolcat?

*******************
jdschultz50:
"'I'll be tweeting about it shortly on @PostSports, too, if you wanna RT the call to action.'
Is there an English translation for this?"
--------
Yes, it's
Posted by: diogenes_quixote | July 2, 2009 3:18 PM |

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 2, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Trick question--cats don't have thumbs. They can't do twitter. Tweets = fuds

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 2, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

not that you would EVER post this on, say, some Phillies blog...
**********

Posted by: goexpos2 | July 2, 2009 3:15 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 2, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

There are very few people I have less respect for than the idiot tapping away at his blackberry at the ballpark.

I go to Fenway a lot and for all the 'Yankee Suck' chants in games against the Rangers are a bit annoying, at least the people there are fans who bought a ticket to watch a game.

Posted by: soundbloke | July 2, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Jon,

As a former Grounds Crew member (Grounds Crewer just doesn't sound right)I think this is a marvelous idea. Too bad I don't know how to tweet.

Posted by: ramgut | July 2, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

The new Natty Pirats don't need NO TWEETS. They need some Playuhs!

Posted by: periculum | July 2, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I guess some people really don't like the newfangled gizmos all the kids are using these days. With all their whizbang twitterin' and tweetin' and facebookin'. Confound it!

Posted by: Section220 | July 2, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

220, you forgot: bloggin'

Posted by: joebleux | July 2, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

There is something wrong when Acta and Rizzo tout performance, effort, production and attitude when these guys haven't even seen one MLB game with the last of all last (and perhaps even record breaking) teams.

Just saying ...
_______________________________________________

The Syracuse Chiefs are among five IL clubs with three representatives on the Team. Second baseman Seth Bynum was elected to start the game, while outfielder Jorge Padilla and pitcher JD Martin were selected as reserves.

Bynum is currently tied for the Chiefs team lead in home runs and RBI. His 12 home runs are good for fourth in the IL while his 41 RBI place him in a tie for 14th. Padilla is currently second in the IL with a .365 batting average and Martin ranks third in the league in ERA (2.25) and is tied for second in wins (8).

Posted by: periculum | July 2, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

For new fangled gadgets I'll have me one of dem der Terrafugia Transitions ... and I'll tweet that right over National's Park.

Posted by: periculum | July 2, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I do think guys wearing fedoras to games was pretty sweet...

Posted by: Section220 | July 2, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

"Bloggin'? What's bloggin'? Sounds dirty. Probably something to do with sex. Or drugs. Or BOTH!"

Nah, you be thinking of the early days of Baseball, during the Victorian reign.

Lots of BOTH drugs and SEX. Both were pretty much completely legal dotcha know? Why the British empire was built on selling drugs and keeping Opium dens supplied during the Victorian era. HongKong would still be a swamp were it not for British "drug lords". And sex? Some of the wildest stuff came from those times. :) Who knows what would have happened if they had rock'n'roll?

~smiles~

Posted by: periculum | July 2, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

For the record, I am reading these comments and laughing.

Have a good weekend, all. Feedback appreciated. Keep it coming ... and hope to see (some of) you on Twitter.

Jon

PS -- ramgut (Ed, right?), good to hear from you. Let me know if you want instructions for Tweeting ;)

Posted by: Jon DeNunzio | July 2, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

blogging is so last hour.

Posted by: NatsNut | July 2, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Am going to the game tomorrow - as a fella said: have berry, will tweet.

Posted by: ignoreland | July 2, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Me too, 220.

-----

Actually, I do think guys wearing fedoras to games was pretty sweet...

Posted by: JohninMpls | July 2, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

I think I'm the last thirty year-old without a smart phone. And I don't care about sounding hip; I just don't get Twitter.

Posted by: JohninMpls | July 2, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

nice tweet buckwheaton.

Posted by: jonb5 | July 2, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

I tried. I'm so confused! LOL

Posted by: NatsNut | July 2, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

And with this my friends, the proud institution formerly known as the Washington Post, a paper that was once able to bring down a President and change the course of our Nation's history, has officially jumped the shark.

Somewhere Bob Woodward is rolling over in his grave at the idea that the Post is now not only soliciting for-publication content from the paper's readers, but asking them to do it on the banal subject of their feelings on nachos and overpriced beer while watching a historically bad baseball team. If you're really lucky, maybe someone will Tweet you on how the bathroom lines are looking.

I weep for the future of journalism.

Posted by: wahoo2x | July 2, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Hey all - casual fan - DC native...

Can anyone give me a reasonable answer why non-Acta(.289win%) still has a job?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | July 2, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Sounds cool. Too bad I hate Twitter.

Posted by: VelocityAtrocity | July 2, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Hi Jon,

A good use for tweeting, I think, since real-time reactions at the game make a lot of sense. How about including reactions to the actual game? Maybe we could vote to send Willie Harris on a 2-1 pitch? Can Riggleman receive our texts?

Never been on Twitter sending/receiving, but I'm willing to try with my Berry. Can you point us newbies in the right direction, or is the web site you cited self-explanatory?

Thanks in advance.

Posted by: paulkp | July 2, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

wahoo: no, no, no. Washington Post needs to be right out in front of this stuff or even the online version will disappear as fast as the print.

I'm thinking I may not like twitter, but damned if i'm going to get left behind.

Posted by: NatsNut | July 2, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

...or rather, damned if i let these punk ask kids leave me behind. LOL

Posted by: NatsNut | July 2, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

With the steep number of cuts of news gathering personnel by newspapers throughout the country many publications are having bloggers and Twits (Tweeterer is too much of a mouthful) provide free content.

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 2, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

I don't know how to tweet
Posted by: ramgut | July 2, 2009 4:03 PM
+++++++++++++

Easy, ramgut. Just put your lips together and blow.

Posted by: Scooter_ | July 2, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

So, the post editor wants us to Tweet about what is obiovus about the park 3 full months after it opened this season? Not exactly the most pressing or valuable info we are talking about here. What is the rub? what does the Post get out of this? There is no way anyone really cares about what someone says about the sightlines -- the same sightlines thta have been there for a year and a half? Color me suspicious.

Posted by: dfh21 | July 2, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Finally an ostensibly useful application for twitter. Maybe. We'll see.

Posted by: ihatewalks | July 3, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

dcunited.com has been doing this for 3 months, the tweets show up on their homepage. But D.C. United fans tweet about the action of the game instead of hot dogs. I think because we all know RFK sucks and because the action of the field is enjoyable.

Posted by: thefarpost | July 3, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse