Who Is Washington's All-Star?

By this afternoon, we'll know which player(s) Washington will send to the all-star game. This year, it's not an easy call. Cristian Guzman benefits from playing a position that doesn't have many other candidates, but c'mon, the guy has a .331 OBP. Ryan Zimmerman had his 30 game hitting streak, but since May 13 he's batting .240, and he's also among the league leaders in errors. Adam Dunn has 22 homers, with better-than-expected offensive numbers (.265/.403/.549), but he also wears a mitt every other half-inning. John Lannan has become Washington's stopper, and he's pitched into the eighth inning or beyond in four of his last six starts, but the quality of his team (w/ defense and run support) has hurt his record and ERA. If I were picking a team MVP at this point, Lannan would be my guy. (Get this: Since the start of June, Lannan's starts have helped snap losing streaks, respectively, of three, three, four, two, and four games.) But is he a realistic all-star choice? Probably not.

Anyway, take your pick:

By Chico Harlan  |  July 5, 2009; 10:42 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Win, A Milestone, A DFA
Next: Today's Lineups

Comments

I would say Zimmerman, but he has too many errors. When he gets his throwing under control, no doubt it is him.

For now, I go with Dunn.

Posted by: Batboy05 | July 5, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Not that it's likely to happen, but my All-Star is John Lannan. In addition to the points made by Chico, he sees dead people. Come on, you can't beat that with a stick, people.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 5, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I think that we can safely assume that the Nationals all-star representative will not be amongst the starting nine.
That being the case, I'd suggest Willie Harris. He's a super-sub and would be available to enter the game at a number of positions, thus maintaining flexibility for the N.L. manager.
Besides, a highlight reel catch or two wouldn't hurt.

Posted by: shygaard | July 5, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

How can it be anyone else but Guzman how he only got two percent of the vote says a lot about some of you so-called "baseball fans" for the love of Babe Ruth how is Zimmerman or Dunn thirty percent better then Guzman in terms of a deseving spot on this years all star team. Zimmerman has been in a slump for almost two months,his situational hitting is plagued by the double play ball and his fielding has taken a turn for the worse, while Dunn has 22 HR's he is a strikeout waiting to happen and his fielding............ this is not a popularity contest while Guzman is not the overwhelming pick he is certainly worthy of more consideration a lot more!

Posted by: dargregmag | July 5, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Hey gang...loooong 3 nights for me at work...seems like half the city was shooting illegal fireworks, the other half calling us to complain. The upshot is I'm behind in my Natmospheric observations.Thinking about all-stars-I picked Lannann-but you know, how often does a team this awful have 3,maybe 4 semi-legit possibilities? Zimm, Dunn, Guzzy....also got me musing on a Nat who has come in for a fair amount of ire-Ronnie Belliard. I'm not gonna say it's undeserved, but as a life long Cards fan, I remember how well he played for them in 2006. He's limited, sure-but I think more playing time would straighten out a lot of his struggles at the plate. NOT that I'm advocating more p.t. for him. I've just always liked him. He's the kinda guy who could be very useful on a team that was in the hunt....but certainly not the Nats. Where is this post going? I have no idea. Oh, let me say that when the Cards play the Nats it is the Nats I am rooting for. And as a big Dukes fan, I hope he gets straightened out in AAA. He has the athletic arrogance of ability that can really be a team catalyst. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to play smart...and if all that's left is arrogance-that'll catalyze a team in an entirely different direction.Wonder how he fits in on a team which last year, I believe, saw the "Face"(Zimm) take "I Stink" and Nick with him to meet Prez Bush. And we know Dunn and Stinky are close.Not to pass judgment on any of it-it's just that it iseasy to see how Dukes might feel himself to be a bit apart from many of his teammates...especially with all the other restrictions imposed on him by the team to help him grow past his past. Does that make any sense? Achh-Sunday morning and my head is too fuzzy for coherence. What's up with Flores' rehab? Will we ever have any real middle infield prospects. Does Willinghams' physique remind any one else of Ron Cey...kinda like a penguin.
Go Nats....

Posted by: zendo | July 5, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I just don't want to see Zimmerman pull an "Uggla" in the all star game.

Posted by: chris88 | July 5, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

"how is Zimmerman or Dunn thirty percent better then Guzman in terms of a deseving spot on this years all star team"

Only 44 other men in all of baseball's storied history have had a consecutive game hitting streak as long or longer than Zimmerman's.

Only 18 other men in all of baseball's storied history have hit 300 home runs before age 30.

Those are both pretty compelling arguments.

Posted by: Section506 | July 5, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Hey gang,,,,r.e. Guzzy. He's another headscratcher. Sometimes he looks disinterested and slow...other times a bolt of lightening. I mentioned in my last post ?'s about middle infield prospects...as great as Guz (sometimes) is,,,isn't he another luxury this team can't afford? To many limitations to his game? And mind you, after his horrid first year, I've been touting him to all my baseball friends, and predicted-correctly-his return as a .300 hitter. But some of his at-bats...and his here today, gone tomorrow fielding.......send him to the Cards for Colby Rasmus...and include "I Stink". I mean, look at what FLoP did when we dumped him and he went to St. Louis! Maybe we can trade A.K. straight-up for Ankiel! Yea, or maybe Chris Young or...like I said earlier, Sunday a.m.....wher's my mind? On the nightstand still?....hmmmm....Go Nats

Posted by: zendo | July 5, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Zendo, thanks. Relax, drink some coffee, go to the game and have an $8 beverage or two. I feel the same about Belliard, but if he isn't succeeding as a sub or pinch hitter, then he's not succeeding period. That's his role. I don't think we can afford his lack of range next to Guzzie.

I voted for Dunn - Zimm just isn't the best or second best 3B in the first half, sorry to say.

Geezer

Posted by: utec | July 5, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

fyi, Dunn's 300th wasn't worth a line of type in today N.Y. Times, not even in the baseball roundup. Pretty weak, given just three guys got there in fewer ABs.

Posted by: nats24 | July 5, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Remember the All Star game is not really about all stars, it is about who the fans want to see. And I want to see Adam Dunn hit a 500+ foot HR wearing a curly W hat in the All Star game!

Posted by: thegraneys | July 5, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Periculum, BinM, estuartj et al,

This is my last comment on here for quite awhile as I am having some major surgery this week.

I would just like to inject some common sense. Mike Rizzo is a very well respected judge of talent among MLB scouts and GM's. He was the man behind the scenes when the talent was drafted at Arizona. Do you all honestly think he would leave great talent down at Syracuse if he thought it would help this team. He wants to win so that he will get the permanent GM position. He would bring in anybody he thought had legitimate talent to make that possible. I don't see JD Martin, Seth Bynum, or Jorge Padilla in a Washington uniform. I know a couple of you think you are real judges of talent, but I don't see you getting paid to make those decisions. I watch to see who the professionals like.

JD Martin might actually get called up (but I doubt if it is before September 1st) to burn some innings. Use some common sense and stop obsessing about him.

One last comment, these players aren't something in a video game and you shouldn't have to beat on them. They are real people. Criticize with a little civility.

Posted by: natsguy | July 5, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

"I mean, look at what FLoP did when we dumped him and he went to St. Louis! "

I like this strategy. Advertise our guys based on how well they perform after leaving our team. We have a lot of good former Nationals.

Posted by: Section506 | July 5, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

@natsguy: Thanks for the level-headed response; I agree with you that Rizzo seems to have a solid grasp of viable ML talent. I honestly hope he gets the gig as GM full-time come fall.

Good luck & godspeed on your recovery.

Posted by: BinM | July 5, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

methinks Dunn. He'll do the home run derby, long time player, and he can pinch hit once and never play the field.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | July 5, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

New post - Lineups are up.

Posted by: BinM | July 5, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

This is a stupid poll. It bears no resemblance to how Manuel and the league will actually put an all-star team together. They don't decide who is the most "worthy" player from a team and just put that guy on the all-star team.

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | July 5, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Well, over 2 hours and no one bit on Willie.
It must not have been a reasonable suggestion.

Posted by: shygaard | July 5, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Good luck with the surgery, natsguy. Hope that all goes well. Will miss the civility that you bring to the NJ. Hope to see you back at it soon!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 5, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Hey gang.....good luck natsguy...I'll miss your words.......Go Nats!

Posted by: zendo | July 5, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Natsguy: Goodluck with you upcomming surgery, although i'm not sure i agree with you about Rizzo at least from the perspective of the two moves made over the last few weeks( Dukes and Martis) being sent down and the fact that he still continues to hold onto Manny. Truth be told i'm not impressed with anyone in upper management where this franchise is concerned they seemed to be "stuck on stupid" i've said it once and i'll say it until cows come in from Texas Manny should have been fired after last season and while Rizzo wasn't around then he should be exercising some authority where that situation is concerned. F.Robby won 81 games with a bunch of castoffs in 2005 Acta's got better talent and they are headed at warp speed toward 115 loses, if Rizzo is as good as you and other suppoters think he is why is Manny still in the dugout? The NL east has turned into a dogfight and the Nats ain't got a prayer of being involved except in the role of a spoiler(like kissing your sister). Mike Rizzo can go a long way in putting himself in postion to be a permanent fixture with this franchise by firing Acta and naming Tim Foli as manager.

Posted by: dargregmag | July 5, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse