Your News, In Less Than 140 Characters

Sorry for being out of touch for a few hours there. Was taking the ol' DCA-Denver flight, so here I am now at the press box at Coors Field, sitting about 5,200 feet high, looking out over sunny skies. So whew -- what did I miss while out of pocket?

For that, we go to Jim Bowden's twitter feed. (These are all blurbs from the last 24 hours.)

"The greatness of baseball is the fact that Heath Bell and Ryan Franklin can become two of the best closers in baseball!"

"What players should have been all-stars? David Aardsma of Seattle and Yovani Gallardo of Milwaukee top my list....how about you?"

"Congrats to Ryan Zimmerman, "Hey now, you're an All Star..put your game on!!!!!" Drafted, signed and developed by Nats!!! 1st of many trips"

"Must see movies.......Hangover, The Proposal, Public Enemies and Star Trek.........."

"Jim Bowden and Sean Farnham Co-Host on Fox Sports Radio next Saturday 5-8 Pacific/8-11 Eastern.....all the latest trade discussions..join us"

"When Milledge finally moves to Left Field where he belongs, he and McCutcheon will give Pirates fans alot of fun at the top o lineup"

"Giants working on deals for Nick Johnson, Aubrey Huff or Adam LaRoche....with that rotation.....they have a great shot for the wildcard!"

By Chico Harlan  |  July 6, 2009; 4:50 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: On Handling the Starters
Next: From (Suddenly Sunny) Coors Field

Comments

My God, the man is just a constant stream of blethering UNconsciousness.

Posted by: MMilzman | July 6, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Yet another reason not to use Twitter...

Posted by: SorenKierkegaard | July 6, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Hey Chico, where's YOUR twitter page?

Posted by: NatsNut | July 6, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

"(As to Morgan playing for the Nats and the Rats, one could check those numbers at the end of the year, I reckon. fangraphs does break it out by team, even if they can't make an adjustment -- UZR+, I guess.)

Posted by: Scooter_ | July 6, 2009"

______________________________________________

Shiver me timers, Captain Morgan's Natty Pirats are seeing fair clammy water. One shouldn't jinx a good thing.

ON Bowden. Sheesh everyone wants to trade Nick. He hits, fields his position. Needs another year to recover from his calamities to get his power stroke back.

While even management has now admitted what we have all observed: Dunn and Willingham belong in the American League as DH's. Unless the Natty Pirats plan shifting leagues ... the right moves seem pretty obvious and best for all concerned.

Posted by: periculum | July 6, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FloresFan | July 6, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Chico - thank you for NOT having a twitter feed.

Posted by: comish4lif | July 6, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

I think we get all the enlightenment we need about Jim Bowden every time the Nats lose... we don't need his twitter feed for additional insight.

Posted by: wigi | July 6, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Uh-oh. Saw there was a new post and hoped to continue some conversations. But I guess we're just gonna go in for Round DCLXXIV of JIM BODWON IS A ID!OT! WRF!!!11!!!

See y'all when it's time to talk again.

Posted by: Scooter_ | July 6, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Don't look now, but http://twitter.com/chicoharlan is all set up. It started this way with the Blogfather himself (http://twitter.com/barrysvrluga) before he started with golf.

Posted by: BangZoom | July 6, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Come on, you have to hand it to Bowden for one thing: he knew how to step aside and let the smart ones do the drafting.

Posted by: Section506 | July 6, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I've seen this one before. I don't understand the fascination with bashing him. Nothing to see here, folks. Move on already. But, then, I don't understand the need for Twitter, either.

---

See y'all when it's time to talk again.

Posted by: Scooter_ | July 6, 2009 5:17 PM |

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 6, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Let's hope Jason Marquis isn't anywhere near as sharp tonight as he was against Dodgers last time out, or so much for winning 3 in a row.

Posted by: nats24 | July 6, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Bowden is a tool.

And I now know forever that I do not need Twitter.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | July 6, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

apparently for jimbow, twitter means never having to say you're sorry (or wrong where his post on lmillz is concerned). move along, nothing to see or read here.

Posted by: surly_w | July 6, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Chico! Could you PLEASE ask Nyjer if he's related to Joe? Rabid fans want to know!!

Posted by: sbuck | July 6, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Let's see now. I have a choice between reading JimBo's Twitter offerings or poking myself in the eye repeatedly with a sharp stick. Somebody please pass me the stick...

Posted by: jdschulz50 | July 6, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Remember six words from back when?

Posted by: Section506 | July 6, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

why should anyone be surprised that the twit is on twitter? sludge seeks its own level.

Posted by: surly_w | July 6, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

The only thing less important than Jim Bowden's twitters is bashing Jim Bowden.

As for the over-the-air Television conversation we were having... NatsNut, I finally hooked up the HD-TV antenna I had been staring at for a while and put it up in my attic and *then* looked at the Nats TV schedule. I really wish the games I got for free were on Friday. I'm more likely to ACTUALLY GO to a Sunday game. If my schedule permits me to watch it on the couch.

I suppose the real thing I could complain about here is the fact that we're only able to get one game per week without subscribing to a cable TV or mlb.com package.

Posted by: ihatewalks | July 6, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

JimBow's twits are no more coherent than his roster construction.

Posted by: leetee1955 | July 6, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

I'd be happy to join you in complaining about that, IHW. ;-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 6, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

what's even worse is that moron has 257 registered "followers."

Posted by: surly_w | July 6, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure which sadder, that people feel a need to Tweet or that other people are interested in following them.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 6, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Or that people leave words out of their posts:

... "is" sadder

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 6, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I wish Chico did have a real twitter page. Then maybe he would give little bits of news when he hears as opposed to writing a professional article for the WashPost. But I digress into a rabbit trail.

On http://masnsports.com/nationalsnews
Pete McElroy relates John Lannan to previous quality starters of the Nationals past. It was nice going over past stars as Livan, Esteban, Patterson, Hill, and Bergman. Lets hope Lannan has better long term success.
Also, he says Kip Wells chose free agency.

just thought I would pass it along.

Posted by: wrw0601 | July 6, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Did JimBo try to make Lastings the CF of the future? Or was Milledge the default player there since JimBo was not given the resources to get a real CF?

For example, Aaron Rowand got $60 million from the Giants. Torii Hunter got $90 million from the Angels. The Nats' biggest acquisition under the Lerners was $20 million (Dunn). Milledge makes $452,000 in 2009 (and just a little over 400K in 2008).

Avoiding expensive free agents may be an OK strategy for the Nats at this point (as long as they don't skimp on the draft, which they do). But having to work within a tiny budget makes all the difference in the world. JimBo is not stupid or inept--he just had to work within severe financial constraints.

JimBo could get any CF he wanted, as long as the new player made a bargain basement salary. That cuts down on your options! Nonetheless, Rizzo seems to have found a pretty good CF, also in the 400K range in salary.

Posted by: EdDC | July 6, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

"Wasn't it Bowden's idea of making Lastings the CFer of the future for the Nats? Now all of a sudden he BELONGS in LF?"

Lastings had to play CF for the Nats because Wille MO is in LF and Kerns is in RF in Bowden's ideal Nats team of the future.

Posted by: sdrappa | July 6, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the heads up, wrw. That link wouldn't work for me but this one should:

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 6, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

ahhh, these kids today with their twitterbook and inter-nets and telephones with no cords on 'em--pretty soon they'll want baseball at night with e-lectricity lights.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 6, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

they don't even speak proper Saxon--got all them Norman words mixed up in there ...

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 6, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

and one of 'em gets fire, pretty soon they all want fire.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | July 6, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

interesting that a true twit, twits

Posted by: jfromPG | July 6, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Clearly, Jim Bowden is one of the great baseball minds of our generation.

Posted by: fischy | July 6, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Tonight's line-up is a copy of yesterday's winners, even Belliard gets another start. showing him off for a trade, riding the hot hand or just being nice?

Posted by: estuartj | July 6, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

At least he left a nice message about Ryan Zimmerman with a musical beat:

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | July 6, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Dukes just took a 10 pitch walk in Syracuse, fouled off 6 pitches...not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Posted by: estuartj | July 6, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

So after Dukes walks Brad Eldred hit a grounder single to CF to score Martis from first, but Dukes is thrown out at 3rd.

What is that Cardinal rule my coaches told me about never making the third out and third base?

Posted by: estuartj | July 6, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

lol thank god this clown is gone

Posted by: RedskinsTime | July 7, 2009 7:47 AM | Report abuse