Zimmerman Is Nats' All-Star Representative

For the first time, Ryan Zimmerman will represent the Nationals as an all star. Zimmerman, 24, today was named to the National League all-star team, adding another highlight to a season that already includes a 30-game hitting streak and a five-year, $45 million contract extension. Zimmerman is the lone Washington player on the squad, and one of just two NL third baseman. New York's David Wright will start at the position.

Zimmerman's selection carries extra significance for the franchise that has designated the former first-round pick as the centerpiece of its rebuilding plan.

Zimmerman this season is hitting .295 with 13 home runs and 46 RBI.

The All-Star Game will be played July 14 in St. Louis.

In the bottom of the first today, Zimmerman stepped into the batter's box with an all-star's introduction. The public address announcer mentioned his selection, prompting a warm ovation from the crowd at Nationals Park. Zimmerman then swatted an RBI single to right, giving the Nationals a 1-0 lead.

By Chico Harlan  |  July 5, 2009; 1:54 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Today's Lineups
Next: Nats 5, Braves 3

Comments

Hernandez would have made that play and thrown McClouth out at first. Belliard has no range.

Posted by: CluelessNatsFan | July 5, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Excuse me. McLouth not McClouth. And he shouldn't have scored. It was a nice double by Belliard, though.

Posted by: CluelessNatsFan | July 5, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to Zimm.

Posted by: FloresFan | July 5, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

What surprises me is that Wright and Zimmerman are the only 2 third basemen on the roster, especially since you have Pablo Sandoval and Chipper Jones in the same league. Zim and Wright are the best of the group, but Sandoval is very deserving of All-Star selection.

Posted by: jaumiusk | July 5, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

jaum, I think I heard Dibble say that Sandoval got in as that last player selection thing. I wholeheartedly agree he deserves it.

And how about that awesome catch by Morgan? Psyched he's the man patrolling our center field, no question.

Posted by: HotNats | July 5, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Sandoval is one of the 5 players that now go into a fan vote for the last NL spot. Christian Guzman is part of that group too.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 5, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Ahh, thx for the clarification, Kev

Posted by: HotNats | July 5, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Hey, wasn't he supposed to bunt?

Posted by: swang30 | July 5, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Nyjer really struggles against lefties - but he's been a spark this weekend. And Nick picks up the slack with base knock!

Posted by: Kev29 | July 5, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Ladies & Gents: Willinham seems to be getting the hang of it in RF. Nice inning.

Posted by: BinM | July 5, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Get the Guz in, Get the Guz in, Get the Guz in! You can vote as often as you want on this one... (I think I'm averaging 2 votes per pitch)

Posted by: HotNats | July 5, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

NYGER!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was AWESOME!!!

Posted by: chris88 | July 5, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

RIGHT ON, Scott "Don't call me Bobo" OLSEN!!
Way to back up your convincing Manny not to pull ya!!!

Posted by: HotNats | July 5, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me or did Manny look a wee bit relieved when Olsen got that last out in the 8th...? :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | July 5, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

If the starters continue to go 7 or 8 innings on a regular basis, the bullpen becomes much less of a problem. And 2 of 3 from the Braves(knock on wood)??? SWEET!!!!

Posted by: chris88 | July 5, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Whoo-hoo!!!!

Posted by: HotNats | July 5, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Woohoo! Looking great this afternoon. More like what we were supposed to see this season. Confidence at the plate, some smarts in the field and good pitching from Scott Olsen.

You can see why Rizzo and Acta wanted Nyjer on this team. He's making everyone look better.

Posted by: Kev29 | July 5, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Manny allowing Olsen to hit for himself in the 8th suprised me, but he did OK; Morgan finished the job, with a double.

Go Nats!

Posted by: BinM | July 5, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Allrighty, Scotty, beam up the win!
(oops, is my geek showing?)

Posted by: HotNats | July 5, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

We gotta get the Guz in... vote, vote, vote!

Posted by: HotNats | July 5, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

in the first-poem-for-the-new-kid sweepstakes, allow me to submit:

Kyjer, Kyjer burning bright
In the glare of the spotlight
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

Posted by: natty-bumppo | July 5, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

The 24th Curly W is in the books

Posted by: Kev29 | July 5, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Voting like CRAZY!!!

Can anyone tell me if Nyjer is related to Joe Morgan?

Posted by: sbuck | July 5, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Whew!

Nats320, in his description of yesterday's game, said "Mike MacDougal came on in the top of the 9th to act out his best Chad Cordero--Most Thrilling Closer In The Game--re-enactment. But Our Number 54 did close this out..."

We just saw the second act.

Right on, right on, right on, and muchrespect to Scott "don't call me Bobo" Olsen!!!

and nice poetry, Natty, tho a little confused by the "Kyjer"

Posted by: HotNats | July 5, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

my god, they don't make it easy, do they?? That being said, I like the decision to let Olsen try and finish.

Posted by: chris88 | July 5, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

McCann grounds out - Bang-Zoom, Curly W, happy-happy, joy-joy!

Posted by: BinM | July 5, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Not sure sbuck, but did catch this on the wiki entry (so take it as you will):

"Morgan occasionally refers to himself as "Tony Plush", which he says is his "gentleman's name"

Had to laugh at that one...

Posted by: HotNats | July 5, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the refurbished/rebuilt Olsen is paying dividends. Now, grab a cold one and head for the Rockies.

Posted by: cokedispatch | July 5, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I was under the impression that David Wright was the #1 pick and Chipper was the #2 pick for 3d base in the All Star game. Each team has to have at least one representative so Zimm was the best of the worst I guess. Hope he doesn't embarrass us with a soaring throw over the first baseman's head or hitting into a double play. One of his many strikeouts would be preferable to the DP. Yea, I know he drove in a run today and yesterday; but yesterdays would have been another double play if Atlanta had played him up the middle like everyone else does.
Anyway, I do wish him good luck and congratulate him but don't think he deserves it AT ALL!

Posted by: HossyLady | July 5, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Nice win, Nats! A little dicey at the end, but they pulled it off. Good to see Olsen seeming more like the pitcher the team thought it was getting, and Morgan is fun to watch whether in the field or on the basepaths. Nice William Blake pull by HotNats, BTW (and yes, your inner geek was showing but that's okay).

Congrats to Zimmerman on making the team when other players voted him in. I will do my civic duty for Guz.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 5, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Oops, sorry. It was natty-bumppo on the Blake pull.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 5, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Two nice wins--great effort by the starting pitchers. It's nice to have a leadoff hitter.

Posted by: djorl | July 5, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

"It's nice to have a leadoff hitter."

Very true that, also nice to have a pitcher who can be a potential threat at the plate as opposed to simply being an auto-out.

Glad to see the Rockies have simmered down a bit, we might actually have a chance out there!

Guz in '09!

Posted by: HotNats | July 5, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

True, HotNats, and having had rbi's by four of our last five starters is very nice indeed!

Also, new post.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 5, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Having voted my limit(s), just read Guz's quote on mlb.com. Don't think he has a chance now.
"I don't care if I go or not go," Guzman said. "I've been there twice already. There are too many people going over there. I want to take my three days off and get ready for the second half. I'm proud of [Zimmerman] because he needed it. He did a good job this year."

Posted by: navboss | July 5, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Hadn't realized that there was a limit (I kept voting and didn't get bumped off), but interesting about the quote.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | July 5, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

How many years will it take before a Nationals' player is voted by the fans to start an All-Star game? I'd be shocked to see it happen anytime in the next 10 years (there's still no baseball culture in this town), unless Bryce Harper signs with the Nats next year and is as good as advertised.

Posted by: VPaterno | July 5, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse