As the Decision Nears

We're heading into the final hour now. I have just written two stories -- skeletal for-print stories, one for each scenario. Talk about strange. Writing each story -- one for a Strasburg signing, one for a non-signing -- forced me to enter, briefly, the alternate universes of Washington's baseball future.

One second, there's rejoicing.

One second, there's dismay.

A quick thought here. The offer that Washington had placed on the table for Strasburg as the day began -- somewhere between $12.5 and 17 million, depending on what you're hearing -- is most assuredly not the team's final offer. At some point very late, that number will bump. Maybe 5 percent. Maybe 10 percent. Maybe 15 percent. But it will bump. Without question owner Ted Lerner has already authorized as much. He knows that much about negotiations. You don't start with your final offer.

Chances are, Lerner has already picked his highest number, and if Strasburg accepts, he'll be a Nat. If not, Washington will have the "1A" compensatory pick in 2010. In the end, this will be a Lerner decision. Not a Stan Kasten decision. Certainly not a Mike Rizzo decision.

By Chico Harlan  |  August 17, 2009; 11:02 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Into The Night We Go
Next: Report: $15.7 Million Over Four Years

Comments

Go Nats!

Posted by: Mike4169 | August 17, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

sigh

Posted by: RedBee | August 17, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Offer him the record deal of $16 mil... about 50% more than the previous record and then offer a boatload of incentives. Both sides get what they want. Its pretty simple...

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | August 17, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Thx for update. Let him go to 20 mil, no more.

Posted by: thegraneys | August 17, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Oh and thanks for the updates. Great coverage! I enjoy reading.

Posted by: Mike4169 | August 17, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Like clockwork Chico, 11 pm. Much appreciated. Now the fun begins. Is this a great game or what?

Posted by: Section222 | August 17, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Don't let that "other" story go to waste. Publish it tomorrow on NJ.

Posted by: Section222 | August 17, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Chico gets the free munchies ... maybe a champagne toast if they sign him?

Posted by: periculum | August 17, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Wow...I feel like this is new years eve...

Posted by: Maestro301 | August 17, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Lindsey Czarniak just reported they offered 17 million.

Posted by: thegraneys | August 17, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

If they lose out on SS with an offer of less than 20 mil, it could be fatal to baseball in DC. If they offer 20 and dont take it, even though its an outrage at least they have some excuse.

Posted by: tylerlang | August 17, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

I can't stand the suspense ... somebody shoot me!

Posted by: periculum | August 17, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

"In the end, this will be a Lerner decision. Not a Stan Kasten decision. Certainly not a Mike Rizzo decision."

Reading that sentence made me throw up in my mouth a little. We're screwed.

I hope and pray that I'm flat out dead wrong on this but, I've got a bad feeling.

Posted by: Section505203 | August 17, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Lindsay Czarniak also called the local hockey team the Crapitals a few years ago.

Booourns.

Posted by: JohninMpls | August 17, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Merry Strasmas!

Posted by: guest1 | August 17, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

It's like a study of Everett's many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics, Chico.

Or not.

Posted by: JohninMpls | August 17, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

was on the fence on this, but increasingly want to see it happen - would be good for the franchise

Posted by: TGT11 | August 17, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

I disagree Tylerlang. Nobody's gonna feel sorry for Strasburg and Boras if they turned down $17m....that's 70% more than the previous record offer. What's more...I don't think they will turn that down because there's too much risk involved in waiting a year just to make a few million more.

Posted by: hacmanindc | August 17, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

MLB network reporting "progress" in the talks...I think I'm gonna barf...again.

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | August 17, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Positive thought - Boras may be an ass, but he is a pro (unlike those ass clowns representing Crow).

Negative thought - If we are starting at $12.5mil I bet SS's bottom number is North of $20mil and that is a bridge too far...

Posted by: estuartj | August 17, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

If $17 mill is for real you are into impact free agent money territory. That's a lot of cash.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | August 17, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

@Section222

What an awesome idea...just so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle, I'd like to throw my support behind that -- definitely publish the alternate story for the NJ'ers tomorrow!

Posted by: HenryStin | August 17, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

At a recent interview, the sons-in-law did most of the talking. Theodore Lerner -- still fit thanks to regular tennis -- looked on impassively and crumpled a slip of paper into a ball. When he spoke, it was in short bursts.

Posted by: periculum | August 17, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Lerner vs. Boras, like Gates vs. Jobs.

Posted by: periculum | August 17, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Heyman reporting talks getting serious...Nats have increased their offer...don't know what it is though...

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | August 17, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

yeah, what he said.

@Section222

Posted by: HenryStin | August 17, 2009 11:18 PM

Posted by: hacmanindc | August 17, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Jon Heyman is on MLB TV right now saying that the Nats are increasing their offer over the $12.5 million he originally reported. The Tigers signed their pick (#9) for $6.5 million.

Posted by: imlazar | August 17, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Heyman at SI confirms the Nats have increased the offer!

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | August 17, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Hear hear!

-----

Don't let that "other" story go to waste. Publish it tomorrow on NJ.

Posted by: JohninMpls | August 17, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

in 1969 when the apollo 11 astronauts were landing on the moon the white house prepared 2 speeches, one for a successful mission and one in the event that they were unable to lift off the lunar surface, leaving them to suffocate on national tv...which speech do we get tonight

Posted by: formerlylove1 | August 17, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Let me ask, when does Borass make a counter proposal, otherwise it is just one way

Posted by: RichC3 | August 17, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

I'd also love to read both stories tomorrow. You should definitely post the alternate to NJ!

As far as SS, I don't know what to say that hasn't been said. It's not my money, so I hope they sign him! If Lerner made 42 mil last year on the team, he should be willing to spend half that on something that will make him more in the long run.

Posted by: grandstander | August 17, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

I won't be mad if SS doesn't sign. He's barely worth the $12 million he already turned down. Why not spend that on a proven talent, as Rob says?

I'll be mad at the Lerners, on the contrary, if the Nats overspend for SS. We need proven talent. Bird in the hand....

Posted by: JLNash819 | August 17, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

great comment from Dunn as quoted on MLB tv.

Posted by: hacmanindc | August 17, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Gammons - Sportscenter: Ackley should get done for Seattle. Things could go past midnight. MLB people think Nats have to get this done. Issue with "confusion in management" (Rizzo, fact that he's not full GM yet). Sides were 10-12 million apart earlier today. Long way to go, but negotiations are happening. If they get to 18-22 mil, it will get done.

Best dictation I could take...

Posted by: Kev29 | August 17, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

What did
dunn say?

Posted by: thegraneys | August 17, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

chanel 9 has a count down clock on the screen.......

Posted by: RichC3 | August 17, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Heyman is a Boras shill.

God i can't wait for us to be able to talk about something else

Posted by: soundbloke | August 17, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

All we need is Sonny and Frank Howard to do the commentary.

Posted by: periculum | August 17, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

More bourbon. More Maalox.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | August 17, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

If they really did offer 17 million and Strasburg doesn't sign, then most, if not all the blame should go to Strasburg! At 12.5 million, several could have made an argument that they were being cheap again. But, in my opinion, if he turns down $15-20 million, then he's the one who's gonna be criticized for being too greedy!

Posted by: rxs85 | August 17, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

After I realized that I can rewind and pause with my DVR, I went back to the Dunn quote. Here it is exactly:

"I'm on the fence about it, because the organization is doing everything it possibly can.... I heard that they already offered him a record contract. How much more does he need?"

Posted by: hacmanindc | August 17, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Fine, I will. What ever happened with Nathan Karns Chico?

Posted by: periculum | August 17, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Well the Nats are certainly getting a lot of attention. Going to be hard to explain to casual observers a (possible) no deal.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 17, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Up from my nap....nuttin yet I guess?

Posted by: cokedispatch | August 17, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Boy, a lot of posts. Apparently I didn't miss much except they DFA's Logan Kensing. Anything else happening?

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 17, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Good for Dunn. Good for Zim's comments too a few days ago.

Posted by: thegraneys | August 17, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Hickery Dickery Dock, SS ran up the clock, the clock struck twelve and Ted Lerner turned the lock ... on his chest of gold.

Posted by: periculum | August 17, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Section 222 is right. Give us both stories tomorrow, Chico. We deserve that, at least, after all we've been through on this SS melodrama!

Posted by: JLNash819 | August 17, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 17, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

*******************************************

Nah. Just your pretty typical off-night. Nothing to see here, folks...

Posted by: BGinVA | August 17, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Oh, right, the Strasberg thing. I guess it's not midnight yet.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 17, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Isn't that Frank HERZOG, Periculum?

Posted by: outsider6 | August 17, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm out of beer....does that count?
__________________________________

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 17, 2009 11:29 PM

Posted by: TimDz | August 17, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Nats sign 12th rd college RHP Nate Karns

Posted by: Brian_ | August 17, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Dunn and Zimm need to give Strasburg a Code Red

Posted by: gtownhistorian | August 17, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Assume he does sign, where does he end up? Harrisburg? Syracuse?

Posted by: thegraneys | August 17, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Each night, I lay out my clothes for the following day at the office. Business casual. Tonight I put out two golf/polo-style shirts. A plain white one, and my blue Nationals shirt. Tomorrow at work, I'll either wear blue and a smile, or white (all the time muttering under my breath about Boras, aka "Beelzebub, Harvester of Souls."

Posted by: matrixman | August 17, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Nats sign 12th rd college RHP Nate Karns

Posted by: Brian_ | August 17, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

***********************

Woo Hoo!

Posted by: BGinVA | August 17, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Frank Herzog hates the Nats. No, he mean Frank Howard.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | August 17, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Code red?

Posted by: thegraneys | August 17, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

feels like new years eve

Posted by: formerlylove1 | August 17, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Don't jinx it!

-----

Assume he does sign, where does he end up? Harrisburg? Syracuse?

Posted by: JohninMpls | August 17, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Think about it..Boz covered all this back in the late winter/early spring. What are the odds this guy turns out to be the real deal? 1 in 10? It's a no-win situation for the Lerner's either way. Everyone wants to make the Lerners out to be the bad guys when they paid an inflated price for a broken team, made a ton of concessions to the DC govt., got crucified for holding payment cuz the stadium wasn't finished. Whether or not anyone agrees with me, I don't care. The Nats are on the cusp of being a good team, one that will contend next year. The front office is finally looking up, the money invested in pitching over the past 3 yrs will start paying off. Hell, they would be contending this year if they had some relief pitching earlier this year. Look it up, they would be over 500 IF the games only went 6 innings. Whether or not they sign Stras is not the game breaker everyone seems to think it will be. But, the Lerners again will be crucified if they don't sign him.

Posted by: Ratzoe | August 17, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

its like hazing, except tom cruise comes to defend you

Posted by: formerlylove1 | August 17, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Peace. And let them be. in their exaltation.
They speak belter than they know, and beyond your understanding.
They know and do not know, what it is to act or suffer.
They know and do not know, that action is suffering
And suffering is action. Neither does the agent suffer
Nor the patient act. But both are fixed
In an eternal action, an eternal patience
To which all must consent that it may be willed
And which all must suffer that they may will it.

That the pattern may subsist, for the pattern is the action
And the suffering, that the wheel may turn and still
Be forever still.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 17, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Jinx nothing. If he doesn't sign he's a punk.

Posted by: thegraneys | August 17, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Code Red from A Few Good Men

Posted by: gtownhistorian | August 17, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm already wearing my Nationals pajamas. I guess I'll have to sleep in my jeans if he doesn't sign?

-----

Posted by: JohninMpls | August 17, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Gammons also said they can go past Midnight if they are close

Posted by: gtownhistorian | August 17, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Countdown fellas... Hope he signs....like to see him pitch next spring...

Posted by: robinhood2 | August 17, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

It feels like Christmas, except with more of a chance that Santa doesn't exist. So, I'm going to bed now because I'm tired and because it sounds like an interesting proposition. I mean, imagine, if you could turn back the clock to the time when you hoped that Santa was real.

Posted by: hacmanindc | August 17, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

"Isn't that Frank HERZOG, Periculum?

Posted by: outsider6 | August 17, 2009"

Nope, Hondo and

"Jurgensen was a rugged boy
and could have been outstanding at center,
guard, end or any backfield position."
—Jurgensen's high school
football coach, Leon Brogden.

Posted by: periculum | August 17, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

They sell Nationals pajamas? Where?

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 17, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Code red? How about Code Pink? :)

Posted by: periculum | August 17, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Nats pajamas?? :-)

Posted by: Traveler8 | August 17, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Frank Herzog hates the Nats. No, he mean Frank Howard.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | August 17, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse
*****************************************

No sportscaster hates the Nats more than George Michael. I'm glad that blowhard was finally put out to pasture. I can't believe he paid Dan Snyder to have exclusive rights to broadcast from inside the football team's Ashburn facility to have exclusive interviews with the coach every Monday. Going back, he actually said on air that baseball wouldn't make it in DC, and when Brett Haber at WUSA broke the news about the Lerners buying the team, Michael was quick to shoot it down. I think he hated anything that took away from the precious minutes of his sportscasts that didn't have to with the local football team or pro wrestling. Jerk.

Posted by: BGinVA | August 17, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

I could use a shot of Grappa.

Posted by: periculum | August 17, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Lucky this was an off-day. Can you IMAGINE if we were playing an extra-inning game tonight?

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 17, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Well as long we are waiting here ........ let me see ...
Soooooo.....how about them Nats?

Posted by: CBinDC | August 17, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

If Snyder owned the team, they would have women's terry cloth shorts and a "sports bra" top with Strasburg's name and number on the toucas.

Posted by: periculum | August 17, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

I got 'em at WalMart (I know, I know) when I was in DC last April. I had run my other pair into the ground.

I dunno. I guess I sleep a lot.

Posted by: JohninMpls | August 17, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

17m is crazy!! Let's not get locked out of the FA market this year because we overspent. I am cool if they stop here and he walks.

Posted by: sec218 | August 17, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Guess we should take attendance. Raise your hand if you are on NJ at almost midnight.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 17, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

I'd prefer it, actually.

Brutal half hour.

------

Posted by: JohninMpls | August 17, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

there's no walmart in DC. where were you, really?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 17, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to Walmart tomorrow. Either in joy or despair.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 17, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Do they have Nats pajamas in XXL?

Posted by: jdschulz50 | August 17, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

So how does Boras represent Ackley and Strasburg as they both negotiate for 18 minutes?

Posted by: tallbaby2121 | August 17, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Can you imagine if MLB gives the extension for days like is allowed under the CBA

Posted by: gtownhistorian | August 17, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

JiM, were you in Argentina?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 17, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

"The Tigers signed their pick (#9) for $6.5 million."

$6.5 for the ninth pick? Is that allowed?

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | August 17, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

there's no walmart in DC. where were you, really?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 17, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse
**********************************

yeah, but they're in the suburbs, as close in as the Alexandria-Franconia area (and Landover too, if I'm not mistaken). And we're getting two Supercenters coming soon in Sterling and Manassas!

Posted by: BGinVA | August 17, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

I will check on pajama sizes and get back to you all.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 17, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

I just broke open a new jar of jellybeans. Goes pretty well with bourbon and Maalox.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | August 17, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

I need more alcohol...

Posted by: outsider6 | August 17, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tk001 | August 17, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

I'll be out in Burke--assuming I survive the night. THere is a Walmart on my way to work.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 17, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you on the bourbon, JD. Knob Creek. Almost gone though and only 11:46.

Posted by: outsider6 | August 17, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

@outsider6: We all need more alcohol. Especially Uncle Teddy, when they tell him the final tab.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | August 17, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Hey, while you're there, ask the people working in Walmart about turning down $20MM to play baseball.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 17, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

My Wal Mart is 1/2 mile down the street.

That said, there is not much chance of finding Nationals' PJ's here in Idaho.

But I can get you some really nice Idaho State Bengals jammies.

Posted by: rushfari | August 17, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

I stocked up on dry salame and Yeungling. Cheers.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 17, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Make mine Grappa please.

Posted by: periculum | August 17, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Ha, good point. The destination was Nats Park, but I had to stay with family in Loudoun County.

-----

there's no walmart in DC. where were you, really?

Posted by: JohninMpls | August 17, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Very impressive that the Angelos network is replaying the O's loss tonight. MASN covers the Nationals as advertised.

Posted by: sec218 | August 17, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gtownhistorian | August 17, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

They might have to for some of these guys. I'm not sure if Bud can just order that or if there has to be some tangible reason he needs though. 11 of 32 first round picks are unsigned. That has to be some kind of record. Of course that includes our old friend Aaron Crow...who looks like he's about 14 minutes from being the next Harrington.

Posted by: CJMARTIN04 | August 17, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Royals lost - Orioles lost. We might draft 1a next season, but I don't think we'll draft 1.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 17, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Enough about Wal-Mart - we need some real news! T-minus 12 minutes...

Posted by: BGinVA | August 17, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

A propos of pajamas, I did finally find a Nats Hawaiian shirt - on an internet site called Football Fanatics. Ordering and delivery were great.

Posted by: Traveler8 | August 17, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

"$20 mil is too much. let's build this team the right way rather than putting it all on 37 red."

I agree. What this team really needs is more Dmitris, Kearnses, and LoDucas. Forget about the guys with huge upside who could be superstars, who needs them anyway?

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | August 17, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Baseball Tonight on ESPN is so much better than these guys on MLB Network.

These guys on the MLB Network are putting me to sleep.................

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | August 17, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Man, they could do a WalMart PJ exchange.

-----

But I can get you some really nice Idaho State Bengals jammies.

Posted by: JohninMpls | August 17, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

This deadline doesn't apply to Crow, as I understand it. He's got until next spring.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | August 17, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Sec3: put that Yuengling with a Knob Creek and you've found heaven. Well... assuming SS signs. Otherwise it makes hell a little better.

Posted by: outsider6 | August 17, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Just got back from 7-11 and picked up a six pack of heine. I'm sure I'll be at least 3 deep in the next 10 minutes.

Posted by: FloresFan | August 17, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

MASN won't break the news...they break wind. Anyway, Strasburg will be a Padre next year.

Posted by: lacrosseradio | August 17, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kev29
))))))))))))))))))))))))

Agreed.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | August 17, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Who the hell is Mark Zuckerman anyway? What does he know?

Posted by: periculum | August 17, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

10 minutes, either the deal is done or not at this point........

Posted by: RichC3 | August 17, 2009 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, but Baseball Tonight is not on tonight until 12:30, so MLB Network is the only option right now. I just turned on ESPN, and they - like our own local media - are talking about the local football team.

Posted by: BGinVA | August 17, 2009 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Already covered, of course, but Crow actually double-dumbass pooched himself by going to the independent league. Tonight's deadline doesn't apply to him--KC can let him twist until the next draft, almost.
****************

Posted by: CJMARTIN04 | August 17, 2009 11:48 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 17, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Crow has until next Spring.

And if Nats and Boras both ask for more time they can have it

Posted by: gtownhistorian | August 17, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

roll call: i'm here!

17m! thats good enough for me! ball in his court!

Posted by: mo_dc | August 17, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

The last #1 overall pick in Washington was Jeff Burroughs in 1969, who signed for $88,000, or $500,000 in today's money.

That was $400,000,000 to that rotten SOB Bob Short.

Posted by: rushfari | August 17, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Crow will end up changing tires after screwing himself again - not at a Costco, but at a Wal-Mart Tire & Lube Express.

Posted by: BGinVA | August 17, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Gotta take a leak. You all hold the fort for me, lemme know if I miss anything. Thanks.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 17, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Holy crap...get me a bucket....8 minutes...

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | August 17, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Either way, my feeling by now is that Boras, Strasburg, Kasten, Fehr, and Selig can all go do something that would get me banned for suggesting it. The NFL manages to make each team competitive (Lions notwithstanding) and not put its fans through agonies like this while two or three teams sign all the free agents.

Didn't this used to be about the game?

Posted by: InTheCheapSeats | August 17, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Grappa.

Posted by: periculum | August 17, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse

I want to see the headline Nationals get a three day extension

Posted by: gtownhistorian | August 17, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

TMI, N_L

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 17, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

I really, really think they sign him. They can't really F-up something this important can they?

NatsFaninKC

Posted by: mastroj | August 17, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

so who gets the news first. NJ? Nationals.com? espn.com?

Posted by: DCTT | August 17, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Man, way to bring it back around. Good work!

-----

Posted by: JohninMpls | August 17, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me, or does anyone else have a really bad feeling about this?

I cannot blame the Lerners if Strasburg fails to sign. They've already broken the bank in their offers and set records. $20+ million would just break the entire organization financially if this kid doesn't pan out, not to mention break the entire draft structure.

Posted by: CJMARTIN04 | August 17, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Why isn't a news crew stationed in front of the Boras lair?

5 minutes to go!

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | August 17, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

tick tock...

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | August 17, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Love the nats. I have been tough on Lerner all year, but I have almost had it with Strausburg. We have tons of people who can't get a job and established players are making 25% of what they used to make. He played in a crappy league and did ok vs Cuba. He isn't worth more than 15 Guaranteed. If he signs I hope he shows us something soon, cause expectations are through the roof.

Posted by: Natstural | August 17, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Come on Extension

Posted by: gtownhistorian | August 17, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

This seems eerily familiar -- like I did this about this time last year ....

Posted by: rushfari | August 17, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

AAARRRRRGGGHHHHHHH!!!....

sorry. tension breaker.

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | August 17, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Ted still lives in the same house in Chevy Chase, the other is in Palm Springs ... he don't have no truck with San Deeago.

Posted by: periculum | August 17, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

3 minutes left, by my clock.
Plenty o' time!

Posted by: 1stBaseCoach | August 17, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

sigh...

Posted by: robinhood2 | August 17, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Two Days to go

Posted by: gtownhistorian | August 17, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

3 minutes left, by my clock.
Plenty o' time!

Posted by: 1stBaseCoach | August 17, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

If $20 million breaks the organization financially if Strasburg doesn't pan out, what did we get this year with Kearns ($8M), Young ($5M), Wily Mo Pena ($whateverM)? In the whole scope of things, it's not that big of a risk.

Posted by: gmwelch | August 17, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

T-minus 2 and counting...

Posted by: HotNats | August 17, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

2 minute warning.

Posted by: ImWithStupid | August 17, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

synchornize watches.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 17, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Hey Chico what's up in the war room? Getting tired of Mark Zuckerman here.

Posted by: periculum | August 17, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Are you kidding me, MLB Network goes to a Golden Corral commercial??????????????

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | August 17, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

I have MLB Trade Rumors, ESPN Draft Blog, NJ, Nats.com and ESPN's main page all on constant refresh starting 2 minutes ago....

My fiancee is looking at me like I'm outta my mind.

Posted by: NattyDelite | August 17, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

I want the Extension Headline come on Chico

Posted by: gtownhistorian | August 17, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

announcing on midnight edition of sports center maybe?

Posted by: m1ke3i6 | August 17, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

D*** AD on MLB.net

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 17, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

If they get an extension, which of Chico's stories gets printed tomorrow?

Posted by: evco94 | August 17, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Just finished my 2nd heineken.....

Posted by: FloresFan | August 17, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Midnight! DONE! Off the clock!

Posted by: 1stBaseCoach | August 18, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

new post in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 18, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

O's just signed their 2nd round pick SS Mychal Givens.

Posted by: CJMARTIN04 | August 18, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Anyone have any updates on Matt Chico?

Posted by: RickFelt | August 18, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Chico's unwritten story

Posted by: gtownhistorian | August 18, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Grappa. Mebbe followed by a Don Julio chaser.

Posted by: periculum | August 18, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

What was funnier is that right before then they realized a top pick had signed, but they clearly didn't know who it was.

-----

Posted by: JohninMpls | August 18, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

now, midnight, where or where are you cinderella?

Posted by: RichC3 | August 18, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

My sources tell me Strasburg was just signed

Posted by: Barno1 | August 18, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

#6 pick Zack Wheeler signs for $3.3MM

Posted by: imlazar | August 18, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

ESPN News says "no deal in the works."

Posted by: thegraneys | August 18, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Ok it is Extension Time to do a Deal come on 2-7 more days of waiting

Posted by: gtownhistorian | August 18, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Guys, there's a large chance we won't hear about this until 12:15-12:30 or even 12:45. Bud Selig's office has to sign off on the deal before it's made public.

Posted by: CJMARTIN04 | August 18, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

now, midnight, where oh where are you cinderella?

Posted by: RichC3 | August 18, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Deadline passed and no word of a deal yet according to ESPN news

Posted by: mastroj | August 18, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Matt Chico? He threw 5 no-hit innings in his last start for Harrisburg.

Posted by: periculum | August 18, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

12:00, and - ironically enough - MLB Network has a Wal-Mart commercial on.

Posted by: BGinVA | August 18, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

00:01 EDT

"And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."

Posted by: Ted_Striker | August 18, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

RickFelt for post of the day.

Posted by: NattyDelite | August 18, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

I don't normally shoot Knob Creek but....

Posted by: outsider6 | August 18, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

He signed. 18 mil

Posted by: JABrooks | August 18, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

ESPN says can go well past midnight

Posted by: gtownhistorian | August 18, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Wheeler signs with SF.

Posted by: JohninMpls | August 18, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Chico?

Posted by: periculum | August 18, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

MLB Net has nothing yet.

Posted by: thegraneys | August 18, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

I can't hold my breath that long (and I can hold my breath a LONG time).

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 18, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Heyman says offer went up again

Posted by: BGinVA | August 18, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Rick Felt... is it just me or is next week going to be great when J.P. is on vacation?

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | August 18, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Heyman reporting Nats upped ante again!

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | August 18, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Jon Heyman says a $15 million deal in the works!!

Posted by: imlazar | August 18, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

MLBtv reporting 15 million

Posted by: FloresFan | August 18, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

15 mil. It's done.

Posted by: JABrooks | August 18, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

ALRIGHT MIKE!!!!

Just out from Nats

The Washington Nationals tonight agreed to terms with right-handed pitcher Nathan Karns, who was selected in the 12th round of the 2009 First-Year Player Draft out of Texas Tech University. Nationals Assistant General Manager and Vice President of Baseball Operations Mike Rizzo made the announcement.

The 6-foot-4, 225 lbs. Karns went 4-5 and fanned 57 in 13 starts or 54.1 innings this season for Texas Tech. The 21 year-old Karns was originally drafted by the Astros in the 10th round of the 2006 First-Year Player Draft, but did not sign. He began his collegiate career at North Carolina State, but transferred to Texas Tech after his freshman season. Karns is currently pitching in the Texas Collegiate League, where he is 4-0 and ranks 3rd in ERA at 1.20.

With tonight’s signing, the Nationals have now agreed to terms with 28 players from the 2009 First-Year Player Draft, including 13 of their top 15 picks. The Nationals’ First-Year Player Draft class of 2009 is listed below, with those in bold having already signed or agreed to terms.

Posted by: periculum | August 18, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

If a deal in the works they can keep talking

Posted by: gtownhistorian | August 18, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Source? Link?

He signed. 18 mil

Posted by: JABrooks | August 18, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bucky_katt | August 18, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

MLBTV reports SS is "closing in on a $15 deal"

Posted by: matrixman | August 18, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

MLB says "closing in on 15 mil deal."

Posted by: thegraneys | August 18, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

MLB Network says "closing in on deal for $15M"

Posted by: BGinVA | August 18, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Ackley signed for 9.5

Posted by: JABrooks | August 18, 2009 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Ackley signs for $9.5 million.

Posted by: JohninMpls | August 18, 2009 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Ackley signed (#2 overall)

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | August 18, 2009 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Not bad

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | August 18, 2009 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Ackley done! $9.5m

Posted by: sec218 | August 18, 2009 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Dustin Ackley - Number 2 - got a $9.5m bonus.

Posted by: gmwelch | August 18, 2009 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Love it

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | August 18, 2009 12:04 AM | Report abuse

So Strasburg is the only Boras guy remaining?

Posted by: JohninMpls | August 18, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

throw to first ...

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 18, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Welcome to the Nationals Strasburg now dont get fat and lazy

Posted by: gtownhistorian | August 18, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

mlbtv says dustin ackley just signed for 9.5. tyler matzek and grant green just signed as well. ackley and green are boras guys.

Posted by: aaronfisher | August 18, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

musiq: I've been looking forward to it for some time yes. It's going to be heaven.

Posted by: RickFelt | August 18, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

NFA says he signed for 15.67 Million

Posted by: WashOut | August 18, 2009 12:06 AM | Report abuse

My source inside says it's done

Posted by: JABrooks | August 18, 2009 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Signed 15.67 mil

Posted by: sdrappa | August 18, 2009 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Yahoo! Sports' Tim Brown: Strasburg signing close for $15 million

Posted by: BGinVA | August 18, 2009 12:07 AM | Report abuse

lots of reports now of a $15 million deal - fingers crossed.

Posted by: imlazar | August 18, 2009 12:07 AM | Report abuse

As much as I loathe Scott Boras, I do have to give him credit for being possibly the best agent in the biz...he always gets top dollar for his clients. The grandstanding, the threats, etc., are all hot air designed to inflate the contract value, and it succeeds. Dude is an incredible negotiator and I have to admire him just for that skill.

That said, he's still a scum sucker and represents everything wrong with rookie salaries today

Posted by: Crunkenstein | August 18, 2009 12:07 AM | Report abuse

IMHO, $15M is a reasonable price. Strasburg would be stupid to turn that down.

I hope he realizes that Boras doesn't really care about him - other than how much he can up the ante for Boras's draft picks next year.

Posted by: LoveThoseNats | August 18, 2009 12:07 AM | Report abuse

$15 million...right in the $14-16 million range that Boswell said it would take to get done.

When the ink's dry on his signature, it'll be a great day for the organization.

Posted by: CJMARTIN04 | August 18, 2009 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Brian Oliver Nats Farm Authority just posted:

I have it on good authority that Stephen Strasburg has agreed to a $15.67M deal

Now Aaron Fitt has confirmed 4 years $15.67M

Posted by: periculum | August 18, 2009 12:07 AM | Report abuse

"I'm gonna wait 'til the midnight hour / that's when my love comes tumblin' down"

A deal is done. He's a Nat, baby.

Posted by: cali_snowboarder | August 18, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Welcome to Washington DC Stephen. We're glad to have you here.

Posted by: FloresFan | August 18, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Who is this JABrooks and who is his source?

Posted by: thegraneys | August 18, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Here comes Strasburg to P-Nats

Posted by: gtownhistorian | August 18, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Green signs with Oakland.

Posted by: JohninMpls | August 18, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Strasburg plus Karns. Good haul Mike!!! Two starting pitchers.

Posted by: periculum | August 18, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Hope u guys are right. Nothing on MLB or Nats web site yet.

Posted by: thegraneys | August 18, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

MLBTR:

Nationals Sign Stephen Strasburg
By Tim Dierkes [August 17 at 11:06pm CST]
11:06pm: Baseball America's Aaron Fitt says Strasburg signed a Major League deal worth $15.67MM over four years.

Posted by: BGinVA | August 18, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

So Strasburg is the only Boras guy remaining?

Posted by: JohninMpls | August 18, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Isn't Crow a Boras client?

I doubt Crow signs between now and next June. It's the Royals, they've got less money than the Nats and Crow wanted too much money last year.

Strasburg's deal probably inflates what Crow asks for too.

Posted by: CJMARTIN04 | August 18, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

mlbtraderumors.com has it done.! I'm starting to believe!!!!

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | August 18, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

All pitchers up to round 24 signed.

Posted by: periculum | August 18, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Where the heck is SI, ESPN or MLB with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | August 18, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

ANyone got a link I think BaseballAmerica just got Dos'ed

Posted by: Natstural | August 18, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

MLBTR says Strasburg signs

Posted by: wigi | August 18, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

NFA says with A Fitt confirming the he signed for 15.7 million. Its done my friends.

Sec 204 Row H Seat 7

Posted by: ehardwick | August 18, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Sportscenter just said it as well

Posted by: gtownhistorian | August 18, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

ESPN just said 15.67M i think

Posted by: Rogueone | August 18, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

yea sports center just said 15.67

Posted by: m1ke3i6 | August 18, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Crow is a Hendricks client

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | August 18, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Maryland alum Scott Van Pelt just announced it on ESPN.

Posted by: CharlieF | August 18, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

106.7 FM the FAN says $trasburg has signed

Posted by: urbanbunnies | August 18, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

ESPN just announced it at the end of Sportcenter just a few seconds ago

Posted by: rxs85 | August 18, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

He's represented by the Hendricks brothers.

-----

Isn't Crow a Boras client?

Posted by: JohninMpls | August 18, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Boras has a wallet that says "Bad Mo-Fo"

Posted by: breck3957 | August 18, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

trust me

Posted by: JABrooks | August 18, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

ESPN also says Strasburg signs -- $15.something...

Hooray!!

Posted by: fischy | August 18, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

I get my news from Chico Harlan, thank you very much.

Posted by: JohninMpls | August 18, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

All

Before we throw all this money at a guy that hasn't pitch a game. We should remember Shawn Hill,Codero,John Patterson

Posted by: specialg7master | August 18, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

http://twitter.com/BaseballAmerica/status/3376193396 -Fitt link

Posted by: Natstural | August 18, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

That was posted at 11:06. I'm waiting for Chico.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 18, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Is it a done deal? Can I go to bed now? Been lurkin'...

Posted by: natsncats | August 18, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Just announced on MLB

Posted by: JABrooks | August 18, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Yay! Hope he gets to pitch in DC in Sept. MLB announcing it now.

Posted by: thegraneys | August 18, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Boras does NOT represent Crow. Never did. Nuh-uh. Nope. No.

You can't trade draft picks. You can't trade the draftee for a year.

"Seven K's!!!" is not an unusual number of strikeouts for a starter.

The Lerners are not all that cheap, really.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 18, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

I guess I'll be going across the street to see the P-Nats very soon :) almost literally, as it's about 5 minute drive :)

Posted by: Rogueone | August 18, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

MLB TV CONFIRMED

Posted by: Kev29 | August 18, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

MLB Network now reporting Strasburg has signed.

Posted by: JohninMpls | August 18, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

MLB Network has it now

Posted by: BGinVA | August 18, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

MLB.TV confirms by way of SI

Posted by: Natstural | August 18, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

$15 million, according to SI via MLB Network.

Posted by: Juan-John | August 18, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

WE GOT HIM!!!!!
$15 million

Posted by: natsfan007 | August 18, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

$15.67 for 4 years is a great deal. Buys out an arbitration year, averages $3.9M each year, which is just fine money for a guy who projects to being a #2 or #3 starter for us next year and a #1 soon afterwards.

The nats just sold 5,000 season tickets for next year.

Posted by: tboss | August 18, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

The minors is filling up fast with pitching prospects ... that's a good thing. Not just Strasburg, but Karns who is also considered to have real potential.

Posted by: periculum | August 18, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

How can ESPN TV have it and there's no mention on ESPN.com or ESPN Radio? Don't these people talk to each other?

Posted by: CJMARTIN04 | August 18, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

the anchor on MLB just said they are the first to break this. Ha!

Posted by: BGinVA | August 18, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Now, I can buy Nats tickets, in good conscience. Thank you, Lerners, Kasten and Rizzo.

Dare I hope though, that we lose enough to do this again next year for Bryce Harper?

Posted by: fischy | August 18, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

...and for the bargain price of $15 million! Sweet.

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | August 18, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

There is hope for this team after all

Posted by: Mike4169 | August 18, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Chico is busy drinking the bubbly they cracked open.

Posted by: periculum | August 18, 2009 12:15 AM | Report abuse

$trasburg should go to Vermont

Posted by: urbanbunnies | August 18, 2009 12:15 AM | Report abuse

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Posted by: Dougie3 | August 18, 2009 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Phew. Signed - and I don't think the Nats look like mugs at 15mil. This is a good night for the club, in my opinion.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 18, 2009 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Looks like I'm wearin' the blue shirt tomorrow! I mean today....

Nighty-nite, all

Posted by: matrixman | August 18, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Well played, Nats. That number is right about where it should be.

Posted by: EnricoPolatzo | August 18, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Strasburg will likely be sent to Hagerstown ... Karns to Vermont.

Posted by: periculum | August 18, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

WE GOT HIM!!!!!

Posted by: natsfan007 | August 18, 2009 12:14 AM
--------------------------------------------------

The last time I heard that particular phrase it was a prelude to trial and hanging....

Posted by: fischy | August 18, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

All that sturm und drang and we wind up with something quite reasonable for all sides to be happy with!

Posted by: Section506 | August 18, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

This team is a couple of solid pitchers away from contending imho...bring em in Rizzo

Posted by: merajc86 | August 18, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

mugged scott boras, feels good, i thought 20 mil was the lowest they could offer to get him

Posted by: formerlylove1 | August 18, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

This is a very good night for the organization.

Now if Kasten/Rizzo could find somebody to take the Guzman contract we'd have a great beginning to the offseason.

Posted by: CJMARTIN04 | August 18, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Oh, man- I can sleep now. Lerners are not cheap, and Rizzo should keep the job.

I am so relieved.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | August 18, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

announce rizzo as the GM right now RIGHT NOW

Posted by: formerlylove1 | August 18, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Tears of Joy!!!! Go get 'em Straws!!!!!!!

Posted by: Keenan1 | August 18, 2009 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Well I guess Wilbon is now writing his HOW STUPID are the Nats giving this guy all that money column.

YEAH this over ...I am happy for a minute at least

Posted by: CBinDC | August 18, 2009 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Those who said they were waiting for Chico sure were left twisting in the wind! lol

Posted by: dabagley | August 18, 2009 12:18 AM | Report abuse

They already have plenty of prospect pitchers ... plenty, and with Aaron Thompson a good number of number 1's. They just need that veteran that Rizzo described to bolster, lead, and mentor the staff.

Posted by: periculum | August 18, 2009 12:18 AM | Report abuse

ESPN2HD crawl on the Cards/Dods game just flashed it.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 18, 2009 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Chico is drinking champagne with Mike Rizzo and crew.

Posted by: periculum | August 18, 2009 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, me too. I also thought it would need $20 mil. Maybe the kid really does want to play.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 18, 2009 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Can we OFFICIALLY retire the "Lerners are cheap" cat calls now?

Posted by: TimDz | August 18, 2009 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Lindsey Czarniak just reported they offered 17 million.

Posted by: thegraneys | August 17, 2009 11:08 PM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Egg on her face.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | August 18, 2009 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Chico's back and NJ's got him.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 18, 2009 12:20 AM | Report abuse

New Post.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 18, 2009 12:20 AM | Report abuse

new post

Posted by: BGinVA | August 18, 2009 12:20 AM | Report abuse

SHOCKER!!!! Barno was right, Straburg signs.

The media manufactured this story and a helluva lot of you bought into it.

Sheep.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 18, 2009 12:20 AM | Report abuse

See... I knew all along they would get it done. Welcome to the Nats Mr. Strasburg. When can I buy my official jersey?

Posted by: mastroj | August 18, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

(and, my prediction of 10:30 signing might be closer to the truth than midnight!)

Gotta say, Boz was on the money from Draft Day.

Posted by: mo_dc | August 18, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Upon roster expansion SS should join the club and be hazed as a rookie, big time. During the game, he should occasionally fill in for Clint and throw T-shirts into the stands. Hopefully Boras didn't insert a clause forbidding hazing or souvenir giveaways.

Posted by: paulkp | August 18, 2009 12:24 AM | Report abuse

"If the 11:06 time stamp is any indication, MLB office has held on to a bunch of these to draw out the news, AND prevent public info of SS figure for the final hour."

That's 11:06 CST...12:06 EST

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | August 18, 2009 12:26 AM | Report abuse

15 mins since the big news... come on post... give us a story!!!

Finally something positive for this team... I still think it would be cool to start him immediately & don't let him pitch past 5 innings, just to see where he is at or how far he has to go... I think he could handle it even if the results weren't the best... sure would give fans something to see.

Posted by: tony325 | August 18, 2009 12:27 AM | Report abuse

I am going to give all the credit to Rizz. Can we hire him as the full time GM already. The guy has done more for this team in 6 months than they moved to DC. Learner are cheap? I agree can we kill that sentiment now once and for all. I like where this team is headed!

Posted by: jkraeg | August 18, 2009 12:28 AM | Report abuse

Its a great night (morning) to be a Nationals fan wherever you may be.
Imagine the home sellout crowds when Strasburg takes the mound.
Make Rizzo the GM and Riggleman the 2010 Manager later on today.

Posted by: jeremybozz | August 18, 2009 12:33 AM | Report abuse