Hernandez Traded Back To Mets For Minor Leaguer

[UPDATE, 1:30 p.m.] -- In need of depth at Class AAA Syracuse, Washington has acquired two minor leaguers, Daryle Ward and Norris Hopper, from the Chicago White Sox for cash considerations. Ward, a 34-year-old first baseman, was hitting .255 (8 HR, 36 RBI) with Class AAA Charlotte this season, and has appeared in the big leagues in every year between 1998 and 2008. He spent part of 2006 with the Nationals. Hopper, 30, is an outfielder who was batting .329 (0 HR, 5 RBI) in 76 at bats with Charlotte. He has spent parts of three seasons in the big leagues, all with Cincinnati.

---

(Also, lineups posted at end.)

The Nationals on Thursday morning traded second baseman Anderson Hernandez to the New York Mets in exchange for minor league second baseman Greg Veloz. Hernandez, who began the year as a starter, had seen his playing time decline significantly since the all-star break, starting just twice in 21 games under Jim Riggleman. Hernandez, batting .251 (231 at bats) this season, had been acquired from the Mets in a trade last August that sent Luis Ayala to New York. This time around, Hernandez is bound for his old team, who on Tuesday lost Luis Castillo to an ankle sprain.

Veloz, who had been hitting .231 with the Class A St. Lucie Mets, will be assigned to Class A Potomac. To replace Hernandez on the 25-man roster, the Nationals have recalled reliever Saul Rivera from Class AAA Syracuse. But that bolstered bullpen depth might be a short-term measure to get the Nationals through the final few games before their Monday off day. If the team wants further infield depth, it could look to utility man Mike Morse, currently hitting .312 with the Chiefs.

Here is some post-trade reaction from a surprised Hernandez, who paused to talk while packing his bags in the clubhouse.

Q: What is your reaction about going back to New York?

Well, I didn't expect that. I mean, I didn't they would trade me that quick. I mean, back to New York? I mean, it surprised me, but I'm OK with it, because I just have to take whatever they want me to do. I am here to play, and if they trade me there I'm going to be there.

Q: You came here as the starting second baseman at the end of last season and the start of this year. How would you assess your time here?

I'm satisfied, because when I was in the Mets I didn't play every day. And they gave me the opportunity to play every day here. I think -- I mean, I enjoyed it. I think I was doing good. I didn't think I was doing bad, but a couple things happened.

Q: Were you upset that you were not playing every day?

No no. I wasn't upset. But every player in here wants to play every day. I want to play like everybody. Like I say, a situation happened. They wanted to see [Alberto] Gonzalez more at second base. Nothing I can do.

Florida

Willingham -- 7
Dukes -- 9
Bard -- 2
Gonzalez -- 6
Stammen -- 1

By Chico Harlan  |  August 6, 2009; 11:41 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nats 5, Marlins 4
Next: Nats 12, Marlins 8

Comments

For a Single-A guy hitting .231? What, the Mets were out of ball bags?
There's got to be more to it than "They wanted to see Gonzales."

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 6, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Well, what else would they have received. No one was calling for this guy.

Posted by: soundbloke | August 6, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Belliard getting some showcase time for a possible trade to a contending team needing a bat?

Posted by: TimDz | August 6, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I noticed that, too, Flynnie, but what I was thinking was, "WAIT--they KNEW he had a problem before the trade, and then went nuts when *Tex* wasn't 100%???"
Man, they must have really, really hated Bowden bad.

************************
Everyone passed over this post, which breaks genuine news on our blog, the kind of news with sources. Thanks to nats24 for sharing! Maybe Kearnsie's problem can be fixed!
-----------------
Regarding Kearns thumb, I had occasion to ask Tim Nehring, who was scouting director for the Reds last year, why Kearns was doing so poorly, and he said Kearns hurt his thumb with the Reds and was never the same, which is why he was dealt to the Nats. (I have seats at a minor league park near where the scouts often sit).
To me, this confirms that Kearns as a Nat has never really been right at the plate.
Posted by: nats24 | August 5, 2009 10:40 PM
-----------------
Posted by: flynnie2 | August 6, 2009 12:04 AM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 6, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Anderson Hernandez must be clubhouse cancer on the level of Felipe Lopez to get traded for a guy who can only hit .231 in Single A. Who knew? And how old is this Veloz guy anyway? What's his back story?

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | August 6, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

True AFAIK, soundbloke, but I thought he had more promise than that. This was a gin rummy discard for an organization guy.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 6, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Another purge of a Bowden acquisition. Look deeper. Are you guys saying this was bad delusional? Are you the same people who are crying for a team to give us their top prospect for freaking Nick Johnson, a guy who has been on the DL for half of his contract? Sports fans need to have some perspective. Would you expect us to give up our top prospect for a back-up infielder hitting .250 from the Mets? Therefore, before all of the idiot Nats fans start banging on Rizzo for not getting anything, look deeper...

-Riggleman hated Hernandez so he wasn't going to play for the remainder of this year, and he's only one a 1-year contract; therefore, we flipped him for a prospect at no cost to us.
-Our farm system is completely void of any infield talent, not that this automatically fixes that but it is a start and adds organizational depth
-This kid is 6 years younger than Hernandez
-He falls into Rizzo's concept of speed and defense
-I see it as a very very very low-risk venture....I mean Hernandez wasn't exactly contributing now, is walking at the end of the season anyways, so why not?

Posted by: Corey42 | August 6, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

This clears a bit of a jam forcing the team to use Gonzalez, slump or no slump, without pressure of giving AH some playing time. Belly in the background (and 1B replacement late in games) and maybe a Morse call-up soon.

I'm with y'all that this minor leaguer doesn't seem like much in return. At least I expect the Mets will actually pay the rest of AH salary, which is a new one for the Nats!

30 mins til game time! Go away rain clouds!

Posted by: mo_dc | August 6, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Yep, what Corey42 said.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 6, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

LUF. They're winning lately. Enjoy life, it's short enough as it is.
*************************
That NatsTown Red flavored Kool-Aid sure is a favorite among some on the NJ.
I'm happy they have won 4 in a row and are about .500 under Riggs, but 36-72 is a punch in the face that brings you quickly back to reality.
Think about that record for a moment, this team is well on it's way to another 100+ loss season. And we have cheap owners, a used car salesman president, an interim GM, and a journeyman manager behind the switch.
And on top of all that it's less than 2 weeks before the deadline on Strasburg and if you'll forgive me, I'm not all that confident a deal will get done.

And it's raining. And they're out of mustard again. And my underwear is chafing me. And I don't like the songs they play. And I don't like the colors on the uniform.

Posted by: Section505203 | August 6, 2009 10:34 AM [OK, I added that last part.]

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 6, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Hernandez was on his way to DFA land, so to get anything back is a plus. Veloz looks like he hit his way out of the Sally League last year, but is having a rough go of it in high A. He seems to be your standard good glove/weak bat prospect, but he's young and still growing.

Posted by: sec307 | August 6, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Radar looks clear - game on! Don't forget your brooms.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 6, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't condemn this trade so quickly. The Mets were desperate for somebody to play 2B; Hernandez clearly wasn't the answer for the Nats. You can't give up on a prospect in A ball so soon, based on his stats. It's worth a shot for somebody the Nats don't need.

Posted by: nats24 | August 6, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Veloz is 21 and has shown nothing so far to indicate he can play above A ball. Potomac just got weaker. Ks 1/4 of the time. No power. OBP < .300. Why bother?

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | August 6, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

What stats/stories have you read/heard on his glove/defense? Let's not attribute qualities to the guy just b/c he can't hit in A-ball. e.g. He can't hit therefore he must be a good defender.

Posted by: dclifer97 | August 6, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

There is no reason to bad-mouth this deal. It's amazing we got anything for AH.

Posted by: sec307 | August 6, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

LUF = ??

All I could come up with via some quick Googling was "love you forever" but I don't think that's it...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 6, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

"Are you guys saying this was bad delusional?"
No. Just curious. Seems like roster dump to me.

"Are you the same people who are crying for a team to give us their top prospect for freaking Nick Johnson, a guy who has been on the DL for half of his contract?"
No. I thought that trade went well.

"Sports fans need to have some perspective. Would you expect us to give up our top prospect for a back-up infielder hitting .250 from the Mets?"
Agreed, but not the point. They guy *is*, in fact, hitting .250, playing parttime, which isn't Ryne Sandberg but isn't horrible for a second-baseman with a good glove and no consistent playing time.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 6, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

"Lighten up, Francis."

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 6, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

From what I've read, these statements have no basis, that's all.

"He seems to be your standard good glove/weak bat prospect"

"He falls into Rizzo's concept of speed and defense"

Posted by: dclifer97 | August 6, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

How this trade thing work, if last week was the deadline? Can somebody explain trades after te deadline, and the whole "clear waivers" issue?

Posted by: phil104 | August 6, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Veloz has barely cracked 70% on his steals at any time in his career. To say he hit his way out of the Sally League is to have a low standard for hitting your way out of that league. This may actually be less than releasing Anderson Hernandez. This guy makes Potomac worse.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | August 6, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

"2008: Veloz hit .258/.304/.352 in 267 AB before the All-Star break but decided he’d had enough of the SAL and went out and hit .324/.388/.473 in 188 to earn his promotion to St. Lucie and the FSL."

He's 21. The book is not closed on him. To say that Potomac got worse is nuts. Who cares about Potomac's won/loss record. It's purpose to to groom players to the next level.

"He brings plus big league speed to the ballpark every night. Veloz has the ability (range, hands and arm) to play MLB caliber defense at second, one of the tougher positions on the diamond to fill."

These quotes are from a Mets minor league blog, but the point here is that we got a middle infield prospect for a guy we didn't need or use, a guy about to be DFA'd.

Good work Rizzo.

Posted by: sec307 | August 6, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

and carried over from the last post:

"JIMMY! IT'S ON!
Posted by: Various
+++++++
Okay, if y'all are gonna keep doing this, and it's gonna be a thing, please indulge me by answering one question: Huh?
Posted by: Scooter_ | August 6, 2009 2:14 AM"

Scooter, it's a reference to the SWA commercial, and a humble but earnest suggestion for a rallying cry.
The best ones always make somebody scratch their head.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 6, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Judging by his comments in response to being traded, AH sounds like a class act. So I am not sure it is fair to assume he is some kind of clubhouse cancer.

Posted by: jp2000 | August 6, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Phil: http://tinyurl.com/5zslvf

(One word: GOOGLE)

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 6, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

If I were Logan Kensing, I'd ask Saul Rivera who's got the better apartment in Syracuse, him or Mike Morse.

Posted by: baltova1 | August 6, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Sec3mysofa,

I'm not not light, just get very annoyed by sports fans who have no perspective...maybe it's my quest to veer the Nats fanbase from the direction of the 'Skins base - thinking we can contend for the Super Bowl every year.

First, a roster dump?
Really? The season is 2/3 over and, by now, he is probably due less than several hundred grand. Granted, the Lerner's are cheap but their monthly power bill for the stadium lights is more expensive than that.

Re Nick Johnson...
Not implying that you were one, but you can't deny that there was quite a strong contingent leading up to the trade deadline crying for Rizzo to pluck Maybin from the Marlins or Rasmus from the Cards or Lowery from the Sox.

Re Perspective:
You're missing the point, he is 21 years old. We're not signing him to be the last piece guy in his prime as we prep for October. We flipped a guy who was a F.A. in 7 weeks for a prospect at a position where we have none. If we were contending or had a solid starting 2b then I would advocate for Hernandez as being an adequate reserve, but for this franchise at this juncture...good move.

On top of all that, I always preferred Suzy to Francis.

Posted by: Corey42 | August 6, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I think it's always unfair to assume that.
**********
I am not sure it is fair to assume he is some kind of clubhouse cancer.
Posted by: jp2000 | August 6, 2009 12:17 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 6, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

So what is the over/under on the times we'll see the AXE commercial today? Is this a reason to pull for a rain delay?

Posted by: baltova1 | August 6, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Hernandez had to clear waivers, as I understand it, for any team with a record worse than the Mets.

Posted by: nats24 | August 6, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

baltova1

1) 17. And I'm in for the over.

2) Yes.

Posted by: Section220 | August 6, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

FWIW, Hernandez hit .228 when he was 20 in A ball and in his third year in pro ball. Veloz is 21 and in his third year in pro ball.

Basically, Hernandez got traded for himself, just a younger version. No biggie, in my opinion.

Posted by: baltova1 | August 6, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Corey,
The LUF was in response to 1a's question, not your post. Sorry if it seemed misdirected.

Dump: roster, not salary. Clearing a spot on the 25-man, but also unloading a guy they've given up on.

Nick: I make it a practice never to deny anything, but you're right, there are always a few people who insist on trading Kearns RIGHT NOW for "A-Rod, Jeter, and two of the monuments" (as I think I posted a week or two ago).

Perspective: Wait, he's at the end of his contract after this year? That would explain it better. Should have remembered that.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 6, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Waivers

Any player under contract may be placed on waivers at any time. If a player is waived, any team may claim him. If more than one team claims the player from waivers, the team with the weakest record in the player's league gets preference. If no team in the player's league claims him, the claiming team with the weakest record in the other league gets preference. In the first month of the season, preference is determined using the previous year's standings.

If a team claims a player off waivers and has the viable claim as described above, his current team (the "waiving team") may choose one of the following options:

* arrange a trade with the claiming team for that player within two business days of the claim; or
* rescind the request and keep the player on its major league roster, effectively canceling the waiver; or
* do nothing and allow the claiming team to (1) assume the player's existing contract, (2) pay the waiving team a waiver fee, and (3) place the player on its active major league roster.

If a player is claimed and the waiving team exercises its rescission option, the waiving team may not use the option again for that player in that season. If no team claims a player from waivers in three business days, the player has cleared waivers and may be assigned to a minor league team, traded, or released outright.

The waiver "wire" is a secret within the personnel of the Major League Baseball clubs; no announcement of a waiver is made until a transaction actually occurs. Many players are often quietly waived during the August "waiver-required" trading period to gauge trade interest in a particular player. Usually, when the player is claimed, the waiving team will rescind the waiver to avoid losing the player unless a trade can be worked out with the claiming team.

Posted by: cdstej | August 6, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

That depends on how many times you back up and replay it.
**************
So what is the over/under on the times we'll see the AXE commercial today?
Posted by: baltova1 | August 6, 2009 12:21 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 6, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

"LUF. They're winning lately. Enjoy life, it's short enough as it is."

____________________________________________________________

Sec 3,

Nice Sgt. Hulka, Stripes reference. Although used here many times before, by myself included, I have never seen it as LUF.

"they have been winning lately?"

Wow. You've got some low expectations, I'm guessing.

36-72.

Posted by: Section505203 | August 6, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

excuse my misquote:

"They're winning lately"

Posted by: Section505203 | August 6, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

505, I have NO expectations. I watch the game.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 6, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Ah, thanks. I thought the quote was an imploration, not an answer.

I'm with 220 on the AXE commercial/rain delay connection.

---

Corey,

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 6, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

"Although used here many times before, by myself included, I have never seen it as LUF."

Yeah, that's why I figured I could get away with acronym-izing it. Oh well.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 6, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Just say "no" to acronymization. :-D

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 6, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

This game is off to an ugly start...

Posted by: BGinVA | August 6, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

ugh - had a meeting that made me miss the top of the lineup. Sorry for the bad karma gang. Let's fix it now:

"JIMMY -- it's AWWN!"

(...it's on all right)

Posted by: mo_dc | August 6, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

JSNTA, I like it, 1a!

Posted by: Section506 | August 6, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Since the Hernandez debate has fizzled, how about a Riggleman conversation.

Does a strong finish this year get him legitimate consideration for next season? Not only is the record showing improvement, but fundamentals, discipline, and attitude have all improved. Granted, some of that is a by-product of both winning and elimination of low-character guys.

I don't know where I am on this.

On one hand, the guy's seem to be responding to Riggleman. He's a local guy. A nice guy. Hate for the guy to be shown the door twice in 2 years after meeting (even exceeding expectations) considering the circumstances.

On the other, I don't want another Dave Trembley situation and want a guy who wants to win and will win. How would the players respond to Riggleman being not-hired after they seem to have formed some sort of connection with him. Additionally, the current staff of assistant coaches seems very good....Eckstein is a workaholic, McCatty is getting results, I like Corales being back, Grissom is a good guy to have around, and if a new guy comes in then they're mostly all gone.

Thoughts?

Posted by: Corey42 | August 6, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

For a veteran catcher, Bard makes some dumb plays. Why throw to second at all? Blecch.

Posted by: baltova1 | August 6, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

What about saying no to silly emoticons?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Just say "no" to acronymization. :-D

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 6, 2009 12:39 PM

Posted by: TimDz | August 6, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

> For a veteran catcher, Bard makes some dumb plays. Why throw to second at all?

Because if he ran the ball out there, it wouldn't get there til tomorrow.

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | August 6, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Sec 3: what, no love? you couldn't post it in my absence before the game started?

-------
and carried over from the last post:

"JIMMY! IT'S ON!
Posted by: Various
+++++++
Posted by: Scooter_ | August 6, 2009 2:14 AM"

The best ones always make somebody scratch their head.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 6, 2009 12:15 PM |

Posted by: mo_dc | August 6, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Bases juiced for Willingslam...can he do it again?

Posted by: TimDz | August 6, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Truke Lerner -

I want to listen to the game, but since you have no evidence that the Lerners are cheap, I will supply you a tutorial. The success of 2005 could have been ours for every season since, but the Lerners were too cheap to make it so.

At his first owners meeting in December 2006, Theodore Lerner pronounced the price of free agents "insane." He proceeded to sign none of the free agents who could have helped.

Boswell wrote a column warning the Lerners that this was not a shopping mall, and that no one put a gun to their head to make them buy the team.

He also said that there was a level somewhere between 90 - 120 losses where the Lerners would lose the fan base of this city.

The Lerners could have written a check for $450M to buy the team. Instead they chose to finance it. They are the only owners in baseball to count the debt service against the team budget in deciding what can be expended.

CBS Sports reported that the hotels and scouts did not want to work with the Nats because the Lerners were so slow to pay their bills. Every expense, down to the use of FedEx and meals for scouts, was subject to lengthy review and disallowance by the Lerners.

Tom Boswell reported that Jim Bowden was continually astonished during his tenure under the Lerners at how little money he was given to work with.

Free agenst who could have made a difference: there are too many to name. Do your own research. How would Aaron Rowand look in center field? He was available in 2006, but that would have cost $10M a year. The Lerners went with Lastings Milledge for $400,000.

The team sure could have used some pitching this year. Trevor Hoffman was available, but that would have cost $6M. How many blown saves, the most demoralizing thing that can happen to a team, would have been avoided. As of May, the Nats lead MLB with 13. How many now? Look it up. Brad Penny, Randy Wolf ($5M) and Jeff Weaver were all available for starting pitching. Orlando Hudson (2b)would've come here for less than $4M. How'd he look at 2d in the All-Star game? He has hitting and fielding stats like Zimmerman. Think that would have given us some wins?

The Globe and Mail reported that the Lerners bought the team because they saw it as a real estate investment opportunity to cash in like they did in Tysons.

Thom Lovarro has reported that baseball decisions have been AngelO'sd by the Lerners, and that this debacle has billionaire amateur fingerprints all over it.

Read Boswell's July 23rd chat. http://tinyurl.com/kp962f

Learn something about your pet billionaires who are ruining baseball in D.C.

Posted by: flynnie2 | August 6, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

"Since the Hernandez debate has fizzled, how about a Riggleman conversation."

Are you deliberately bating us?

Posted by: Section506 | August 6, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Nope...

Posted by: TimDz | August 6, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

"Lighten up, Francis."

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 6, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Nice........ Great movie

Posted by: punchdaclock | August 6, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

At game. Not the best start. LOTS of kids here.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 6, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

tried to listen to the masn audio but between dibble and debbie, i'm going back to charlie and dave. fortunately, they don't do "up close and personal" on their broadcasts.

Posted by: surly_w | August 6, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Are people really complaining about this move? Corey42 hit the nail on the head.

Posted by: ouvan59 | August 6, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Nyjer wearing long pants. :(

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 6, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Brue | August 6, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I missed it if it was explained earlier, but why the 12:35 start time today?

Not complaining -- actually lets me catch the game before my flight, whereas I may have missed the end of a 1:35 game. Just curious -- a way to finish the game before the kids get out of "camp"? Perhaps a deal with the city to likely get the game over before evening rush hour (metro?)?

And, I hope there are a few more weekday day games next season. Sure feels good to be at the park instead of work, once in a while.

Posted by: mo_dc | August 6, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

> Learn something about your pet billionaires who are ruining baseball in D.C.

Now let me get this straight. There was no baseball in DC for 34 years. Now there's a brand new stadium with a team playing in it 81 days a year. How is going from nothing to something ruining anything?

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | August 6, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

> They probably made the move to create a roster spot at the major league level. Bring up another arm because it's getting late in the season.

Looks like they're gonna need that arm later today. As Yogi Berra once said, it gets late early here.

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | August 6, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

belliard....man of his statue at second base.

Posted by: surly_w | August 6, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the Fish are playing ring around the base-paths.

Posted by: TimDz | August 6, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

wow - blow out the bullpen day at the park. Looks like we need to stop the bleeding and step up at the plate. Blowing opportunities like the first inning isn't the way to get it done.

I like the quick hook by Riggs -- Stammen didn't have it going. No need to wait further. Eat up some innings, bullpen.

Posted by: mo_dc | August 6, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

What is it about the Nats winning 4 games then hitting a wall?

Posted by: margkcars | August 6, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

now pitching for the nationals, logan "arsonist in residence" kensing.

Posted by: surly_w | August 6, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Kensing? I was hoping for a Clippard appearance to stop the carnage. First pitch? yuck!

Posted by: mo_dc | August 6, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

NOW this game is getting ugly.

Posted by: BGinVA | August 6, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I guess winning more than four games in a row wasn't in the Lerner's budget this year...

Posted by: TimDz | August 6, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Anderson Hernandez was the real problem with this team. Good thing they got rid of him.

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | August 6, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

It's still early.

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 6, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

One thing that comes to mind while we enjoy the recent improved play:

We started this year with one guy who looked like a proven starting pitcher (Lannan) with hopes that another (Olsen) would join him along with some of the young guys.

Right now, it looks like we have one proven starter. One. J. Zimm has shown his promise but isn't established yet, nor is Stammen.

So, do they continue to hope the young guys come through or do we add some veteran help?

Posted by: baltova1 | August 6, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

@ margkcars - They're not very...what's the word I'm looking for. "Good." That's it. They're not very good. I mean, I love 'em, but they kinda stink.

Posted by: Section220 | August 6, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Now who's our second baseman of the future? It thought it was Anderson Hernandez, and before him, I thought it was Emilio Bonfiacio. Sheesh.

Posted by: BGinVA | August 6, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Gotta say - don't see what's not to like about the Hernandez move. AH is going to be 27 next year, he's got a .310 minor-league OBP and a .299 career MLB OBP - he is what he is, a decent fielding 2b who has no clue what to do when clutching a hunk of wood. He's clearly AAAA-kind of talent - Rizzo moved him for a 21 year-old with that exact same .310 career minor-league OBP, but six years to learn to do something better. We traded Anderson Hernandez for a younger Anderson Hernandez who has the possibility to develop. No upside for upside - what's not to like?

Posted by: Highway295Revisited | August 6, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Well, the only thing I can say is that we've certainly seen what these guys can do (Stammen's complete game, Martis' complete game - even though he's in Syracuse (right?)), so the optimist in me is thinking that the rotation's shaky performance as of late is just a streak.

Posted by: margkcars | August 6, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Or maybe the major league innings are beginning to take a toll. It's got to be harder and more strenuous to pitch at this level than at Syracuse or below.

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 6, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Update:

MASN has traded 5 Amstel Light commercials for 1 AXE commercial and an ad to be named later. They have decided to play them all in the first 3 innings of today's game, apparently.

(I typically watch slightly delayed on DVR and skip the commercials -- forgot how bad they can be, although the Amstel one is catchy!)

Kensing batting to lead off the inning? I guess Riggs is letting him stay as long as he can before going back to the 'Cuse?

Posted by: mo_dc | August 6, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

@Section 220. Well of course I know that :) It was more of a rhetorical question. And now the pessimist in me is taking over... and thinking we just plain STANK.

Posted by: margkcars | August 6, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

>"We traded Anderson Hernandez for a younger Anderson Hernandez who has the possibility to develop."

And one with much better speed.

Posted by: ouvan59 | August 6, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

RE: Young pitchers

Except for Stammen's start, I don't think we've seen anything we need to be concerned about yet from the starters. They're young, we expect them to be streaky.

I hope very much that Kensing can go four or five, because Rigs does not have the bullpen after several days in a row to have pulled Stammen so early. I'm having nightmares of Frank sending everyone running to Dr. James Andrews.

Posted by: Section506 | August 6, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

so today we only need 8 runs in the bottom of the 8th?

Posted by: longterm | August 6, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know how Matt Chico is doing with his rehab and when he might be considered for call-up?

Posted by: Section109 | August 6, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

That NatsTown Red flavored Kool-Aid sure is a favorite among some on the NJ.
************************

Kool-Aid, Kool-Aid, tastes great, wish I had some, can't wait....go nats!

Posted by: bromisky | August 6, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I thought the Storen interview showed a lot of character -- that Stanford product is no dummy! Sure people can moan all they want about the Nats signing him "below slot" but whether he was a late first rounder or even second rounder, he's still a projected MLB talent. Since you can't trade draft picks in MLB (a subject covered ad nauseum here) and he wouldn't be available in the 2nd, I see his upside and the org need.

GONZO!

I like his attitude and what he has shown thus far. See you in the show when you're ready! (hope you're ready soon!)

Posted by: mo_dc | August 6, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Another fireworks fail. Oy ve.

Posted by: GoNatsTerps | August 6, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Cut the lead in half...that's a start.

Posted by: TimDz | August 6, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

BANG ZOO-- oh wait.

Posted by: JennX_ | August 6, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Loved Charlie's description of the fireworks error...."Premature Zoomilation." LOL! The Nats need to bring up another position player to prevent having a pitcher up in rally situations.

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 6, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

We have Gonzo in scoring position, and Kensing is... not so hot and wearing out. Why not PH for him and cut that lead by another?

I didn't think the bullpen was that overworked (other than McDougal) and we have a day game before a night game.

Don't think I agree with that decision (but sure wish Gonzo's ball had another 10 feet so it wouldn't matter).

Posted by: mo_dc | August 6, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: margkcars | August 6, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

"premature zoomilation?" that's got to be in the official natsinary. who's the keeper of the sayings?

Posted by: surly_w | August 6, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Belly - Hernandez would've caught that.

DUNN! What a throw!

Posted by: mo_dc | August 6, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I think there are three things at work with most pitchers being terrible hitters. First, "terrible" is a relative term. Hitting .120 or whatever is actually really, really, really hard. A lot of those pitchers who look terrible against major league pitching were probably the best hitters on their high school teams.

Second, I think the "mental" aspect of knowing how a pitcher is going to pitch to you may be overrated. If that was so important, surely catchers (who call the games) would be the best hitters since they have the most experience figuring out how to set hitters up.

Third, ultimately both pitching and catching are highly specialized arts, and finding someone who can perform those jobs well is hard enough. Finding someone who can perform those jobs well AND hit is even more difficult.

My two cents.

Posted by: Section220 | August 6, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Most pitchers have not been very good hitters because of lack of training. Just about every high school, college, and amateur (AAU, Legion, summers, etc.) use the DH. Granted, some pitchers are such great athletes at those levels that their respective coaches choose to him them in the DH spot, but that's not a very popular concept. Also, as a former college baseball player, I know that during practice most pitchers are throwing bullpens, long-tossing, stretching, or conditioning while BP and infield drills are going on....and we always had the pitchers hit fungos.

Hope that helps.

Posted by: Corey42 | August 6, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

"So I have a question for the baseball experts of NJ. I never quite understood how most (but not all) pitchers are terrible hitters. I always thought they, being a pitcher themselves, would be able to anticipate how a pitcher would pitch to them, even better than a batter. Thoughts? Insights? Stories from experience?"

Practice makes perfect. The only league anywhere in professional baseball (AFAIK) where the pitchers bat is the National League. Ergo, pitchers don't get much practice at batting, especially against live pitching in game conditions.

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | August 6, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

> First, "terrible" is a relative term. Hitting .120 or whatever is actually really, really, really hard.

Not for the mighty Austin Kearns. He makes it look easy.

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | August 6, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Case in point: Rick Ankiel.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 6, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Zimm! We're BA-A-ACK!

Let's get serious with the bullpen. Put Clippard in there, and let's get the sweep.

Posted by: mo_dc | August 6, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

No premature zoomilation this time!

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 6, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Zim needs to get drilled in the shoulder more often. Possibly this should be incorporated into the Nats' pre-game rituals. Stretching, throwing, drilling Zim in the shoulder...

Posted by: Section220 | August 6, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

8-3 Marlins. Bootom of the 5th. Damn.
@FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome - That is One Great Handle! - we have endured this 72 times this year. We have won only 36. MLB gave us a .500 team. The Lerners have overseen a steady decline in wins and attendance. I call that ruin - of a fanbase, of a franchise, of a public trust.

Posted by: flynnie2 | August 6, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Also, if he's a good enough hitter, they sometimes move them to the outfield to get the bat in the lineup.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 6, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Zimmerman is killing it right now! After the All-Star break he decided to really earn it. We just need to get some competent pitchers in this game.

Posted by: 202character | August 6, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

"Stop - Hammer time!"
(gotta get some MC Hammer for his big hits!)

Uh-oh, Dukes up. Think good thoughts everyone. As in "don't swing for the down and away breaking ball...again."

Let's re-write this game now Nats!

Posted by: mo_dc | August 6, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

This hits just keep coming.

Posted by: 202character | August 6, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Section220, Corey, and FromTheEclipse: Thanks! I mean, I pretty much had an inkling about all of your answers, but I thought it would be nice to get all of the knowledgeable NJ posters' takes.

Posted by: margkcars | August 6, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

OK, all together now ...

JIMMY ... it's ON!

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 6, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

The 34-year old Ward returns to the Nationals; he previously played for the Nationals in 2006 before being traded to Atlanta for RHP Luis Atilano. Ward was batting 255/339/397 for Triple-A Charlotte.

The 30-year old Hopper was hitting 329/386/368 in 20G for Triple-A Charlotte after 52G with Triple-A Louisville where he hit 280/320/350 with a combined 16 SB in 21 attempts

Posted by: PNatsFan | August 6, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Case in point: Rick Ankiel.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 6, 2009 2:08 PM

---------

Second case in point: George Herman "Babe" Ruth.

Posted by: greggwiggins | August 6, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

8-7!!! Come on, Alberto!

Posted by: flynnie2 | August 6, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

OH MY GOD.

NICK JOHNSON IS CURSED.

Posted by: Section506 | August 6, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

We're in the game. Not that we have the lead but as they say, you gotta be in it to win it.

Posted by: 202character | August 6, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for posting that, PNatsFan.

Posted by: Section220 | August 6, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

The Nats aren't going to go quietly? Did we make more trades than previously published?

Posted by: janus4444 | August 6, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

margkcars, your question was well-timed. Josh Johnson, a pitcher, is pinch-hitting for the Marlins.

Posted by: baltova1 | August 6, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

they need that cash to cover peavy's doctor bill! who's cheap? we just buy players outright now.

nick is definitely cursed.

Posted by: longterm | August 6, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

margkcars, another theory: it's a selection thing. If you're picking out someone for a pitching position, who do you pick? Kid A who can hit and throw and run or Kid B who can throw?

Hopefully, you picked Kid A (everything in its right place). But now, you have to pick between Kid A and Kid C, who throws really, really well, but isn't as good at running. Well, you'll sacrifice a little and put Kid C on the mound (and through pitching drills) and use Kid A elsewhere.

This continues, throughout every level of baseball, until, gradually, you end up with a hyper-specialized Kid W who pitches amazingly, but isn't so grand anywhere else, including at the plate.

This also happens to sluggers (first base, and left) and defenders/speedsters (center) and defenders/strategists (catcher). Your most balanced athletes end up at second and short because of this distribution, but they're not usually the best at anything. There is, of course, variance in this, but it's more or less how things break down.

Posted by: Section506 | August 6, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

The man with two refrigerators on his back is back!!!

Posted by: Section506 | August 6, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

a full count changeup to the pinch hitting pitcher?

Posted by: longterm | August 6, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I like you, flynnie2.0

Posted by: dclifer97 | August 6, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Kid A is a great album and therefore you choose it.

Posted by: dclifer97 | August 6, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I think this offseason will tell us much more about how cheap the Lerners really are. Strasburg obviously will be the first big indicator (I count this as an offseason move). But also it is clear that we have a big-league capable offense, but shaky D, a weak bullpen, and not much depth in the rotation. Wise, but not ridiculous spending can remedy some of those problems.

I understand (and basically agree with) wanting to run the young starters in there and see what they have, but it would be wise to have more vets in the pen to back them up...Having Mock or Clippard come in to relieve a starter who is already getting shelled has never quite sat well with me. And it might be a good idea to sign a reasonably priced veteran starter to help guide the kids and also stabilize the rotation.

We'll see what they do. I have no problems with them running the team in an economical fashion, as long as they are consistently actually trying to win, not just save money. Invest the money in the farm teams, scouting, and international and draft signings like the best run organizations do.

I have a feeling Rizzo will be retained (if he wants to be) and Riggleman will too unless the wheels completely fall of the bus for the last few weeks. The reason: both are doing their jobs adequately, and both are not going to be expensive.

Posted by: ts35 | August 6, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

God... what are we doing.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | August 6, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Looks to me like Rizzo is "forcing" things this year ... unlike Bowden he isn't going to bring up prospects before they are ready even if they are performing better than veterans like Rivera who looked really terrible in Syracuse. Kensing is still a disaster. Rivera isn't much better. The relief staff in Syracuse for the most part just got promoted from AA. Instead of promoting outfielders from AA Rizzo decided to pick up a couple of veterans to fill out the roster in Syracuse. Looks like patience to me?

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

@flynnie2: I didn't do a deep analysis of this, so the numbers might be slightly off, but a look at the list of every player who ever took the field for that 2005 team that MLB gave us shows only three who are still Nats, 14 still playing MLB somewhere else, and 37 who are gone into oblivion. So if the Lerners had done nothing at all but retain what was given to them, they'd have a 17 man team right now. That would be a true ruination of baseball in this town. Instead, and even though you might not like it, everything they have done since buying the team has been an attempt to stave off that ruination and build a baseball team in this town. Any fan base that does not at least understand that (no one says they have to like it) is not a fan base worthy of MLB in the first place.

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | August 6, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

And right now Stammen and Mock look a lot worst than "Beachball" Martin.

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Oh geez. I can't look. Hanley is 3 fer 3 today. And he typically kills the Nats. I hate him.

Posted by: swang30 | August 6, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Attaboy, Jason, buzz him!

Posted by: Section220 | August 6, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

"The Washington Times tweeted that the Nationals have acquired 1B/DH Daryle Ward and OF Norris Hopper from the Chicago White Sox for cash."

Daryle Ward = Dmitri Young lite.

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | August 6, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Riggs sure can sit on his as$ and watch Villone load 'em up. At least the lefty-lefty matchup was right.

Posted by: flynnie2 | August 6, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

"everything they have done since buying the team has been an attempt to stave off that ruination and build a baseball team in this town. Any fan base that does not at least understand that (no one says they have to like it) is not a fan base worthy of MLB in the first place."

Apologist!

Posted by: dclifer97 | August 6, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I think they're cheap until they have a winning record, then they're savvy.

One certainly hopes they realize this.

Posted by: Section506 | August 6, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe we got out of that.

Posted by: Section220 | August 6, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

YEAHHH BERGY, the "prospects" are finally coming into their own ... just need the guys down in Syracuse to finish out strong down there.

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

FIGHT, baby!!!!FIGHT!!!
I love this team!

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | August 6, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Daryle Ward = Dmitri Young lite.

----------------
how much lighter?

Posted by: swang30 | August 6, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Sucede lo que sucede. But how cool would it be to have the Marlins leave town asking "WTF just happened??"

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 6, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Probably Rivera next inning ... or Sosa?

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

What about Clippard?

Posted by: margkcars | August 6, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

"Daryle Ward = Dmitri Young lite.

----------------
how much lighter?"

Depends on whether you believe your eyes or what's listed in the media guide.

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | August 6, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Was it Charlie who said "he looks like a man running with two refrigerators on his back?"

Posted by: Section506 | August 6, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fischy | August 6, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I think they'll hold Clippard til the end.

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

This Year, v. RHP

Adam Dunn: .285/.433/.625

Posted by: Section506 | August 6, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

2 major components of next year's pitching staff on display with Potomac tonight. Holder and Storen.

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

> So, we have moved into the final week of the Strasburg-Boras show. Time to get real....

Eleven days til August 17th. They must have long weeks wherever you are. Are you Yogi Berra?

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | August 6, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

DANG!!!!!

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

"So, we have moved into the final week of the Strasburg-Boras show. Time to get real...."

I'm just as interested to see if he gets Karns signed. Karns is doing pretty well right now. Getting both of those arms in the house would be HUGE!

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

ihatewalks needs to post ... because all the walks make for a huge backward step or two.

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

DUKES!!!! Dave called it! It's a whole new ballgame, all tied up! 8-8 bottom of the 7th!

Posted by: flynnie2 | August 6, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Go Dukes!!!! We've come back from 6-0 to tie it at 8!!!

Posted by: BGinVA | August 6, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Way to go Dukes! My main man... hopefully this is what he needs to get back on track. When he was swinging the bat well early in the season our lineup was POTENT.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | August 6, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Dukes!

Posted by: 202character | August 6, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

DUUUUUUKES!

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | August 6, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Man I hate the PA announcer for the Nats. His "lets get ready to rumble" type schtick when he introduces every player is hyper annoying. Is it really that exciting that "alBEEERRRRRTO guhnZAAAAAAAHHHHHHHLLEEEEEEEZZZZ" is coming up to bat?

Posted by: trezmartin | August 6, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Bard? Are you kidding.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | August 6, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

A few days back, someone on this board posted a link to a Marlin Blog (from the orange seats or something like that) that basically trashed the Nats. I looked but can't seem to find it. I want to go back and see what the posters are saying now.

Posted by: TimDz | August 6, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

three things i think i think....

doesn't it seem like the nats are doing to the phish what the phish has done to them all season?

wouldn't it be great to sweep the phish and have luis "gasoline alley" ayala as the losing pitcher?

where was josh bard going? what was he thinking?

Posted by: surly_w | August 6, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

The brooms may still be useful.

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I cannot tell a lie. I missed Elijah's homer because--!

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 6, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Riggs hates walks too.

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

...you were in line at Ben's?

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 6, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

So many great moments lost in the powder room.

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

awwwww.... Like Cinderallas...all the kids in my section have to leave.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 6, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

PH plus top of the line up next inning ... if they can make it.

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

DP Nick ...

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Who are these guys and what did they do to the Natinals?

Posted by: kingtutts | August 6, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

DAMN Nick the stick!

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Benzina on the Rivera or Sosa?

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Way to go Sosa, that was some good ish right there. Lets grab a lead going into the 9th!

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | August 6, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Then its heart-attack MacDougal.

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I agree on the pa announcer. Surely, in this distinguished area, there is another Bob Sheppard among us? "Voice of God Presides Over Yankees Games": http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/comment/sbcol15.htm

Posted by: flynnie2 | August 6, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Dammit - you would think a 12:35 start time would allow me to catch the whole thing before leaving for the airport, but 3 hours later, we're TIED in the middle of the 8th (not complaining, after being down 6-0!).

I was going to post 2 hours ago that it didn't matter the early start time since the game was over after 30 mins, but held off.

Tie game, middle of 8th, we're gonna pull it out, and when I land, i'm gonna see the results of this SWEEP!

Have a good series against the D'Backs (Nats, but y'all too) and catch you next week!

Posted by: mo_dc | August 6, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: swang30 | August 6, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Then its heart-attack MacDougal.

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------------------

I don't think Mac pitches today - he's worked four days in a row now.

Posted by: BGinVA | August 6, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Nope. No McDougal today ... unavailable, say Charlie and Dave.

Posted by: diogenes_quixote | August 6, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

GUZMAN walks!? This is a change ... he's starting to walk more?

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

JIMMY!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S ON!

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 6, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

> I don't think Mac pitches today - he's worked four days in a row now.

That was Acta thinking, only letting pitchers throw three days in a row. Riggleman? He says throw, you say "How hard?" Until either your arm falls off or he gets fired.

Who says managers don't make any difference?

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | August 6, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

YEAHHHH SWEEP! SWEEP!!!

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

hope you saw guzman score. NatsLady!

Posted by: surly_w | August 6, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Add a new game to best wins of the year. knock on wood...

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | August 6, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

One last thing: Sec3 -- don't forget to keep the good times rolling... "It's On!"

Wow! Nats Lead! (I think I'm going to miss my plane...)

Posted by: mo_dc | August 6, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

GUUUUUZ!!! BELLLY!! OH, WATERMELON, WATERMELON, WATERMELON RIND, LOOK ON THE SCOREBOARD AND SEE WHO'S BEHIND!!! BELLY STEALS 2D!!!

Posted by: flynnie2 | August 6, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

wait for it, imjustlike

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 6, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Woah, did I see that right? Belly stole a base?

Posted by: swang30 | August 6, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

OH YEAH, IT'S ON ALRIGHT!

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 6, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Way to go Zim!!! STICK IT TO THE MARLINS

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | August 6, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

who ARE these guys in the white unis?

Posted by: surly_w | August 6, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

THANKS ZIMM! OK all, It's ON -- and I'm off!

Posted by: mo_dc | August 6, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

HS! Why didn't we trade NJ sooner!!?!?!?!?

Posted by: Intrudr | August 6, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Who will the Pads take between Harper and Strasburg with the number one pick next year.

Posted by: goexpos2 | August 6, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Zimm's unconscious these days...

Posted by: TimDz | August 6, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

charlie and Dave said that Riggs may have to use them in the next inning. TRIPLE TRIPLE TRIPLE!!!! OH,YEAH!!! 10-8 ON ZIMM'S TRIPLE!

Posted by: flynnie2 | August 6, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Wow, this team is fun to watch (or in today's case at work, listen to)!

Posted by: BGinVA | August 6, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Zimmerman's average is officially sitting at .300

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | August 6, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

That misplay by Han-Ram is conclusive proof: there is a hex on Nick Johnson.

Posted by: Section506 | August 6, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Ayala must be thinking: "Please let this all just be a bad dream..."

Posted by: TimDz | August 6, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Its MacDougal time ...

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

HEY, JIMMY, IT'S AWN!!! AND IS THAT ELWOOD THE RALLY POSSUM I SEE MOZYING INTO NATS PARK?

Posted by: flynnie2 | August 6, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Strasburg? At least sign Karns ...

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

BALK!

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | August 6, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Dave said, "How unlikely is this rally? It began with Guzman donw 0-2 and he took for straight pitches for a walk!" Unlikely. indeed, and BALK IN A RUN, DONNELY! 11-8!!!!

Posted by: flynnie2 | August 6, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Man on third, one out...nice sacrifice fly would be great....Of course a HR would be better...

Posted by: TimDz | August 6, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

11-8. MORE! MORE! MORE!

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 6, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Wow!

Posted by: kingtutts | August 6, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

What the hell are we all doing at work today??

Posted by: Kev29 | August 6, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

BALK!!!? These teams have suddenly switch Karma's ... maybe the legend of Nick's luck is true?

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Was it Donnelly who pine-tarred his glove, causing the Anger in Anaheim, with Frank trying to fight Mike Soscia and Crazy Guillen winning the game with a homer?

Posted by: flynnie2 | August 6, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TimDz | August 6, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Or a balk.

Posted by: kingtutts | August 6, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

WOW the nats are becoming comeback kings!

Posted by: Elbaryn | August 6, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Has the curse of the Expos been lifted???

Posted by: kingtutts | August 6, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Dukes with his 4th RBI of the day!

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | August 6, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TimDz | August 6, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Or a balk.

Posted by: kingtutts | August 6, 2009 3:52 PM
--------------------

That'll work too...

Posted by: TimDz | August 6, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Elwood? No way! And look--he's wearing ... an Elijah Dukes jersey!

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 6, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

the nats need another run in case han-ram comes up with the bases loaded in the ninth.

Posted by: surly_w | August 6, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

12-8!!!! OH, MY!!

Posted by: flynnie2 | August 6, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

"That's 7 pitchers used today. It's still a few more days until rosters go to 40. What's Riggs trying to do?

Posted by: swang30 | August 6, 2009"

He wants the sweep ... badly ...

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

They have to be going bonkers in Florida. Those knuckleheads who have that Marlin Blog must feel REAL stupid about now...

Posted by: TimDz | August 6, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

"12-8!!!! OH, MY!!

Posted by: flynnie2"

That's true Bob Carpenter score calling there. How they gonna score a 12th run though if they get the Marlins out in the 9th?

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | August 6, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

MacDougal ... if he falters it looks like Rivera.

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Actually, it is 12-8. Snark fail.

Posted by: Section506 | August 6, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Okay, so the team's coming together. Now we have to work on the ballgirls....

Posted by: baltova1 | August 6, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

No need to overwork MacDougal with a 4 run lead, Sosa and Rivera are the two options here.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | August 6, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

MacDougal time.

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Acta would never have been able to set the tone for the confidence these guys are showing.

Tentative, inarticulate, careful, a reader of self-help crapola. Of course it's Acta (and Rizzo's crafty moves).

In 1960, the Washington club had three guys who remind me somewhat of Zim, Hammer, and Dunn: Allison, Killer Killebrew, and Lemon, a previous DC Negligent Homicider's Row.

Posted by: nova_g_man | August 6, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Good lord, enough with the meaningless Acta drivel! He's gone, you can be happy, without going out of your way to try to rewrite history. You know when the last sweep of the Marlins occurred by the Nats? 2007. Guess who was manager? For all you know this could be the only time such a thing happened to Jim Riggelman and the next two years, nada.

Posted by: Section506 | August 6, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

i'm having a calamity flashback here....

Posted by: surly_w | August 6, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

LOL @506. :)

Between last night's late-night thriller at Legg-Mason (Tsonga/Isner) and this, I'm feeling a bit sports-adrenaline overloaded!

Posted by: JennX_ | August 6, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

"Actually, it is 12-8. Snark fail.

Posted by: Section506"

Then it's Charlie Slowes fail. He said 11-8 in the outro of the eighth inning.

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | August 6, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Gloat?

Good bye!

Posted by: Naugatuck-Nats | August 6, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Way cool.

**************************
Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 6, 2009 2:40 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 6, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

God, the Marlins have more blogs than they do fans in the ballpark most days.

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | August 6, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Second sweep of the season!!

Posted by: Section506 | August 6, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

What the hell just happened? 5 in a row?? Come-from-behind crushing??

Posted by: JennX_ | August 6, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: markfd | August 6, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

5 in a row!! Let's keep on trucking! The draft will take care of itself.

Sec 204 Row H Seat 7

Posted by: adhardwick | August 6, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Hey CarpysHomie, let's go remind them of it ...

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 6, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Yanno, I know it's a little early here, but it's never too early to make a strong "Wait til next year." statement to the rest of the division.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 6, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Break up the Nats!

Posted by: Section220 | August 6, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Sweet.

Posted by: baltova1 | August 6, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

"Welcome back D-WARD! See you in September as our backup 1B and power hitting PH, something we have lacked since your departure in 2006! Nice pick up."

He's not on the 40-man roster? He was picked up to help Syracuse which is shorthanded and in a pennant race.

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

"I didn't think I was doing bad, but a couple things happened."

+++++++

I KNEW something specific had to have happened. He wasn't doing THAT bad on the field. I just couldn't think what it could be because nothing hit the papers at all. Now I'm DYING of curiosity.

Posted by: NatsNut | August 6, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

i called it...winning lottery numbers later tonight

Posted by: surly_w | August 6, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: surly_w | August 6, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Onto Arizona.

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

The great thing about this winning streak is that it's all against teams with all these former Nats players. Milledge, Hanrahan, Johnson, Bonifacio, and the winning runs today against Ayala! Terrific!!!

Posted by: rxs85 | August 6, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to be in Miami next month, including the weekend the Nats are down there playing the Marlins. Should I rub this week in and bring a copy of the Sports section of tomorrow's Washington Post to read at my seat in Land Shark Stadium?

Nah -- the editors will put Chico's gamer from today on page 5, below the fold, after four and a half pages of Redskins training camp coverage.

Posted by: greggwiggins | August 6, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Nick Johnson has played in 12 Nats-Marlins games this season and been on the losing side each time.

Posted by: SilverSpring8 | August 6, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Once more Elijah Dukes failed to walk. The guy is killing us.

Posted by: markfromark | August 6, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

"Allison, Killer Killebrew, and Lemon"

Followed by Oliva and Carew. Still need pitching though.

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Good start to August ... okay GREAT start for August for ANY team. Can they keep it up?

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Does any minor leaguer under 30 qualify as a prospect?

Posted by: gbooksdc | August 6, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Dukes killed us by going 3-4 with 4 RBI ...

Posted by: hooverama | August 6, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I thought that one might never end but, bang zoom! Nats win! And they made fish sticks for dinner. Yay!

Ha ha, 506.

---

JSNTA, I like it, 1a!

Posted by: Section506 |

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 6, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

"Does any minor leaguer under 30 qualify as a prospect?

Posted by: gbooksdc | August 6, 2009"

My "take" is that they have to be 26-27 or under if they have yet to make it to the parent club. That age in AAA is right on the cusp, in AA its pushing it. You'd have to ask Brian Oliver and the rest here ... but that's what I "grok" from looking at it.

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Also, good one on the commercial trades, mo_dc, and I second the motion re. Hammer Time.

Yes, flynnie, I think it was Donnelly.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 6, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

"Once more Elijah Dukes failed to walk. The guy is killing us.

Posted by: markfromark | August 6, 2009"

He's batting in a clean up postion not #2? A walk is usually better than a single in that you have to work a pitcher to get one. The pitch count goes up. A double comes next, then triple, then home run which always scores. I think a clean up hitter is expected to have the ability to hit the gamut with men on?

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

>Does any minor leaguer under 30 qualify as a prospect?

Posted by: gbooksdc

If it's a pitcher, it doesn't matter. He could be 40.

Posted by: Brue | August 6, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Good work today fellas, you showed a lot of heart.

So with another poor performance, will Stammen stay in DC or face a demotion?

Posted by: natsfan111 | August 6, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Bally tomorrow tonight. He has to be juiced ... they are going to need 6 or 7 out of him after this effort.

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

This was a very good day. With the exception of the constammination. In this case for the fish, 8 was not eneough.

Posted by: cokedispatch | August 6, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section506

You know that play where Belliard stole immediately after they took the lead? Would have never happened under Acta. That's when you get the pitcher licking his wounds, then you take off and steal! It's called big league baseball. You don't sound like you've seen much of it.

bang zoom go the fireworks get in there riggo

Posted by: Brue | August 6, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

It feels so gooood! Damn I just left the park and the buzz is unreal, haven't felt this since Jun 06 when the Nats came back from a 9-2 hole and beat the Jankees, and guess who lumbered home that day with the go-head run? Yupper it was none of then DWARD! What's that Yogi?

"JIMMY! IT'S ON!

Posted by: TippyCanoe | August 6, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I was at that game, Tippy, and it remains one of my fave wins.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 6, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Natsfan1a1; its was 6/17/06 and it was hotter then hell that Saturday afternoon, I was there too. Friend of mine who we took to the game got silly drunk and basically missed the hole thing. Oh it was a fun time that day. Here's to a few more!

Posted by: TippyCanoe | August 6, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

"bang zoom go the fireworks get in there riggo"

Loosen up, Sandy baby. You're too tight.

Posted by: nunof1 | August 6, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

It's still early.

Posted by: leetee1955 | 1:17 PM

***************

Post of the Day nomination. This after several doom and gloom posts in the first 45 minutes of the game.

Posted by: NatsNut | August 6, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Why weren't we playing like this early on???!!!!! It makes me so angry, thinking about all the games the bullpen blew...

Posted by: rachel216 | August 6, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Forgot to say, ELIJAH DUKES is the MAN! I hope he never goes back down, he belongs up here. He is too talented to be playing in the minor leagues.

Posted by: rachel216 | August 6, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Manny, where are ya?

Nope, changing managers won't make a difference at all.

Posted by: SavedByZero | August 6, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Marlins clubhouse after the game: Nick; "i told you" Various Marlin players; "told us what" Nick:"they're not the same team you guys beat earlier this year" Marlin players; "whatever" Nick; "exactly"

Posted by: dargregmag | August 6, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Tippy, my husband wanted to leave the game early, after Johnny Damon's grand slam. I convinced him to stay. Some Yankees fans sitting near us did leave early, after asking us for directions to Georgetown, where they were going to a bar. I always hoped that they caught the Nats comeback on the telly. Priceless.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 6, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Second that, rachel.

---

It makes me so angry, thinking about all the games the bullpen blew...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 6, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

uncharacteristic (and unfamiliar) gloating continues in the new post.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 6, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse