Lerner Bunny Ears and Dibble on Riggleman

From Dan Steinberg's D.C. Sports Bog, a TV interview with Mark Lerner and a Rob Dibble rantscript.

So Mark Lerner did an interview with MASN's Debbi Taylor from Wrigley Tuesday night, and some fine resident of the Friendly Confines saw fit to decorate his head with bunny ears. Try that to Daniel Snyder, and he'd buy WGN immediately.

By Alexa Steele  |  August 26, 2009; 11:21 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nats Sign Livo; Send Balester To Minors
Next: Welcoming Back the Old Workhorse

Comments

While were in Chicago, it is good to remember all the money we didn't sepnd on Soriono after 2006.

Posted by: twinbrook | August 26, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I was thinking the same thing last night, twinbrook, looking at AS sitting in the Cubbies dugout. Are they still on the hook for 90 -100 Million for him?

Posted by: 1of9000 | August 26, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Re Ian Desmond:

He has a bad back that acts up. He plays poorly in the cold, but did great for the Waikiki Beach Boys of the Hawaii Winter Baseball League.

December 2005: ‘As far as my goals, I just want to cut down on errors to around 15 or 20. Defense is my main concern.”

"I have a strong arm but have had some problems in the past getting my feet in line to use the arm.”

“Desmond occasionally tries to force plays in the field, resulting in 39 errors in 2005.” “Despite the early hype about Ian Desmond’s defense, it’s been atrocious by some measures.”

“I know fielding % and errors aren’t great measures, but when you see him right around .950 in fielding % at high A, AA, and AAA, you begin to wonder. … do you know of anyone still thinking he’s good defensively?”

“He still needs to focus more on defense and cut down the careless errors, such as kicking a ball 30 feet into foul territory. He made two careless errors last night.”

BoBL, this happens quite a lot: “Ian Desmond made two errors and had two hits.” Worse: August 4, 2009 E: Desmond 3 (11, fielding, fielding, fielding).

So what happened?

He was overdrafted about five rounds. He was compared to Derek Jeter (Bowden). Try Ian Utility instead. He makes spectacular plays, having bought into his own hype out of Sarasota High, but he doesn’t make the ones that are expected from an MLB SS. He is NOT the answer for us.
Zim is not the answer either, of course, but here is an analysis from four years ago: An early report on Ryan Zimmerman's first week at shortstop: "The word is that he looks just as comfortable at short as he did at third," Wogan said. "We know his hands and his arm are very, very good from what we saw at third base. It's just a matter of how he reacts and how he turns the double play. So far, he's been solid."

AG at SS in 2010.

Posted by: nova_g_man | August 26, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I still love the guy, though.

Posted by: JohninMpls | August 26, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Assuming that JinM means Soriano, I gotta agree - he certainly performed for us, and what entertainment that was! Nyjer also seems to be on for us, although Felipe Lopez certainly was not.

Posted by: Traveler8 | August 26, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Mark Zuckerman said Acta and Riggleman were not that much different.

Gag!

Ray Knight jumped all over that incorrect opinion. Dibble did the same. If Rick Dempsey were in Our Town, he would have allied himself with those two in a flash.

Who has credibility?

Posted by: nova_g_man | August 26, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm not big on Fonsie myself, though I'm not ready to join this forum either:

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 26, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

When Sori was on, he was on, but I also recall him shutting down towards the end of his year here and saying that it was hard to get motivated or something to that effect.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 26, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Oops, new post.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 26, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

It's hard to be a big fan of Debbie (tho a big fan of Dibbie; he's no punk, as is Mark Lerner: "April 24, 1991. Cincinnati's Rob Dibble, facing Houston for the first time since starting a fight with a fastball, tied a National League record with six straight strikeouts.").

I do appreciate that she has ditched the poofy-sleeved summer dresses, tho.

I suppose, she could not resist putting Mark on her Mike at Wrigley last night, but seeing him made my blood boil.

Mark Lerner still loves Jim Bowden, the slickee boy, the Dollar Store bottom-feeder.

What kind of guy has a ‘close personal relationship’ with someone so volatile, unpredictable, and nasty. The kind of guy who does NOT love non-volatile Mike Rizzo. Stan relished ‘the chance to hand-pick a partner,’ but Stan wanted Mike Rizzo. Almost all of us did. It became a duh, deal by deal. His admiration grew since March 1. What were those things he was ‘working on,’ the things he was ‘thinking about’ on March 1? Reorganization of the FO?

Ted Lerner did not want to be embarrassed (gimme a D, gimmee a U, gimmee an I. Whaddya got? Jim Bowden!) again. Pass(ing)over (sic) Mike meant that he would soon be embarrassed. A lot. For a long time.

Boz says, about Stan “There are people who'd like to see (Stan) leave.”

That people is Mark Lerner, who wanted another slickee boy. As Stan said: "Let's just say Mike bailed me out on Monday."

Mark Lerner, our next target for derision. Seeing and hearing him last night just reminds me that he is that kid in HS who you smacked on the head as he passed you in the hallway in HS. For no reason. Except the punk reason. Just because he is that kid, a rich sycophant incarnate.

Mark Lerner still loves Jim Bowden.

Posted by: nova_g_man | August 26, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Yes but every night Dibble and Knight say that the young pitchers are throwing the wrong pitches. Who is calling the pitches? The pitchers, the catchers? And if neither of them are doing it right, isn't it the job of the manager/pitching coach to call pitches? In that area Manny and Jim R are a lot alike. I think they are/were letting their young inexperienced pitchers and catchers run the show. Manny and Jim R are very much alike in that regard, and it is a very important area.

Posted by: P522 | August 26, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse