Updated Lineups and Zimmermann News

UPDATED, 6:04 P.M.: The MRI exam on Jordan Zimmermann's right elbow caused concern with the Nationals doctors and will be sent to orthopedist James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala., according to acting general manager Mike Rizzo.

***

The Nationals go for seven consecutive wins, but Diamondbacks ace Dan Haren stands in the way. One-half of the lineups are available. I'll post Arizona's lineup after returning from the clubhouse...

Arizona Diamondbacks (50-60)

Willingham -- RF
Harris -- LF
Bard -- C
Gonzalez -- 2B
Mock -- RHP

By Zach Berman  |  August 8, 2009; 6:09 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tonight's Lineups [Update]
Next: Lineups

Comments

before manny was jettisoned ...
before tony plush ,,,
before two gramd salamis ...
before belly-bashing and six wins ...

there was dibble.

candor, humor, passion. who knew that we would like him this much?

July 2009. "This isn't a Major League baseball team I'm watching out here....It's pathetic. I've never seen a team that is ok with losing....Some guys are mailing it in, and it's hard to watch."

July 1991. Rob Dibble left his mark on the Mets last night. He faced five batters, struck out three of them, broke one bat into pieces and allowed a harmless single. "We got six runs," said Mets Manager Bud Harrelson, "and then they brought in the monster." "I want to know the guy who wrote I wasn't so nasty last night," Dibble said. "What are you going to write tonight?"

i hope they bring him back.

Posted by: nova_g_man | August 8, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Thank goodness Belly isn't in the lineup tonight...how terrible is he?

Just doin' my part...

Posted by: Cavalier83 | August 8, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Where is Dukes?

Posted by: aspenbubba | August 8, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

@ cavalier83 - Belliard is actually 9 for his last 18 with a homer, 3 doubles, 2 stolen bases and 6 runs scored. He is part of the reason the Nats have been winning...I guess you would rather see Gonzalez who is 4 for his last 31...makes sense.

Posted by: peytondowdy | August 8, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

what's the deal with Dukes???

Posted by: JRAIN2388 | August 8, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

We NEED Belliard and Dukes in that lineup tonite against this guy!! Mock belongs down on the farm.IMO,we got NO SHOT with him starting.

Posted by: ripndot | August 8, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

nova_g_man-

I don't know if you are being serious or not, but I am going to go on record to say that I actually do enjoy Rob Dibble. He has decided to wear his heart on his sleeve in a Ron Santo kind of way at times, and he says some silly stuff, like "Zimmenator", but for someone who was considered a bad boy at the time of his playing days, he does have a real respect for the game, and expects that from the current players.

He is there to add color. He succeeds at that, and does care about the team, although they are in the depths. I fully understand that he won't be to the taste of many, but often that is more proof that someone at least has enough personality to evoke strong feelings.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | August 8, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Dukes getting a rest against a really tough RHP. Putting Harris in there gives the Nats another LH stick.

I like Dibble too a lot more than I thought I would. I'm pretty sure he's coming back. He asked for and got a multi-year deal because he didn't want to move his family across the country and set up a special radio deal without some guarantee. Unless MASN wants to eat the money - which I doubt - we'll see him next year.

#4

Posted by: db423 | August 8, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Thank goodness Belly isn't in the lineup tonight...how terrible is he?

Just doin' my part...

Posted by: Cavalier83 | August 8, 2009 4:03 PM
---------------------------------

Is it possible that they were showcasing Belliard in hopes of passing him through waivers to work a trade?

Posted by: TimDz | August 8, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

OH, NOES! You have doomed us!
***************************************

Posted by: peytondowdy | August 8, 2009 4:23 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 8, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

"And if you think you're winning because you're breathing out of your eyelids, or wearing women's garters, or because you're getting laid, or because you're not getting laid, then you ARE! And you should know that!"

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 8, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

One thing about "passing through waivers":

Most guys have already passed through waivers. Teams quietly put guys on waivers throughout the year in order to make them trade eligible in August. I think that once they pass through waivers at any point during the season, they become eligible to be traded after August 1st. My guess is that Belliard, Harris, and maybe a couple of others have already cleared waivers. Teams NEVER make this public because they don't want the player to know. If someone claims a guy the team can simply pull him back with no penalty. The only part I'm not sure of is that there may be a statute of limitations. They may need to clear after say June 1st.

Remember that claiming a guy off waivers is tough on the claiming team because they need to pick up his salary, dump someone from their 40 man and perhaps even 25 man roster. More guys clear than you think.

#4

Posted by: db423 | August 8, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Here's a post today from Baseball America on a red-hot Justin Maxwell and a capsule on Jorge Padilla:
-----------------

MEN AMONG BOYS

Justin Maxwell, cf, Nationals: Injuries have set back Maxwell's development. He missed his redshirt sophomore season at Maryland with a broken forearm and also dealt with a broken finger and broken hamate as a college player. Those injury problems haven't gone away since the Nationals selected him in the fourth round of the 2005 draft. He seemed to be on the verge of a big league role after a solid season in Double-A Harrisburg and a 15-game stint with the major league team in 2007. But a wrist injury limited Maxwell to 43 games in Triple-A in 2008. This year he's putting it back together as the 25-year-old is making a push for a September call up with a strong finish to the season at Triple-A Syracuse. He's been red-hot since the calendar flipped to August, hitting .529 (9-for-17) this week with three extra-base hits and three stolen bases.
--------

BLAST FROM THE PAST

Jorge Padilla, rf, Nationals. If you want to get an idea of how long Padilla has been kicking around the minor leagues, then consider that he ranked No. 14 in the Phillies system in our original Prospect Handbook back in 2001, the one with Corey Patterson on the cover. And two years before that he ranked as the club's seventh-best prospect. For Padilla the call to the big leagues had to seem like an impossible dream. But after 11 seasons with four different organizations, the minor league's leader in average got the call to join the Nationals earlier this week. At the time of his promotion, Padilla, 29, was batting a career-best .367/.424/.482 for Triple-A Syracuse. He's unlikely to end up getting more than a cup of coffee, but it's a great reward for an outfielder who's played more than 1,100 minor league games.
----------------

I know a lot of you, like myself, hope J-Max stays hot for the rest of Syracuse's season and then gets a Sept. callup. If he could be just passable with the bat, what a great addition he'd be to our outfield next season.

Posted by: OldSkoolDiehard | August 8, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about J-Max at this point. If we're going to commit to Nyjer Morgan, I feel that J-Max is a fourth outfielder at best for us. We've got one speedy defensive oriented outfielder already and that's going to have to do. Hate to say it, but he's like another AAAA outfielder for us until he can shorten his swing and cut down on his Ks.

Glad to see he's doing well and hope he can prove me wrong.

Posted by: souldrummer | August 8, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

dead serious; i like him.
***********************

nova_g_man-

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | August 8, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nova_g_man | August 8, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Maybe part of the reason that they've got A-Gonz in the lineup is to maximize defensive range with Mock out there. Hope Riggles has Mock on a short leash and Clippard is ready to pitch awhile if things go bad tonight. There are more rested arms in the bullpen tonight than last night, especially Sosa. Shoot, Saul has even earned my trust for an evening with a strong outing last night.

Posted by: souldrummer | August 8, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

I like Dibble, too, and I think that he and Carpenter make a good team.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 8, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

I hope that we can get more than a few innings out of a starter without his giving up scads of runs. It's going to wear on the offense and 'pen eventually.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 8, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

geez I gotta do everything myself around here...

AZ
Drew 6
Romero 7
Parra 9
Reynolds 5
Montero 2
Whitesell 3
Young 8
Ojeda 4
Haren 1

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 8, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

On Maxwell, he does bat right-handed. And Morgan, even if he does pan out, is none too strong against the southpaws. Haven't checked Maxwell's splits.

In other news, the post has been updated, and I'm off to
Birmingham for a bit.

Posted by: Scooter_ | August 8, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Dagnabit! I never like to hear the name of one of our pitchers associated with Dr. James Andrews.

(Now you come right back here and finish your dinner, Scooter. You don't need to go gallivanting off to Alabama. The good doctor will see to Jordan.)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 8, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

anyone remember the story about mock earlier in the season, where it was revealed that he coached some youth team pitcher to throw at, and hit, an opposing batter (may have been the opposing pitcher)? i wish he would throw inside tonight, early on, it's the only chance he has to get thru 6 innings?

in other high school news, bryce harper:
1. scored on nine wild pitches this year ... from second base.
2. went on a three day travel trip and batted 12 times: 11 home runs and a double.

Posted by: nova_g_man | August 8, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Hope this isn't a bad sign, that being Belly riding the pine. I'm gonna bash him just the same, cause sooner or later he'll be in the game. : - ) >

Posted by: cokedispatch | August 8, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Haven't read all the comments in last night's lineups post so forgive me if this is repetitive...

Why was the gamer in today's Post written in gibberish? Did a single editor read it before it landed in a puddle in my driveway? I'm not expecting pulitzer-worthy coverage in the sports section but the gamer reminded me of a paper written by a high school student an hour before it was due.

Posted by: aja24 | August 8, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

@peytondowdy: Clearly, someone has not been paying attention these last few days.

Posted by: Cavalier83 | August 8, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

@aja24 Thanks for weighing in. I have been trying to figure out how Belliard stealing would let the Nationals intentionally walk Dunn. I always thought that intentional walks meant the intentions of the pitching team!

Posted by: Traveler8 | August 8, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

the gamer was truly wretched and wince-worthy, elaine. just shows how lucky we are to have chico, tracee, et al, as nunof1 is constantly pointing out. mano a mano? nah. mano a boyo.
***********************************

Posted by: aja24 | August 8, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nova_g_man | August 8, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Our Negligent Homicider's Row strikes! And Willie!

Posted by: nova_g_man | August 8, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Mock has survived his five. Now get him outta here and bring on Bergy, Villone, Rivera et al.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | August 8, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Got a filthy curveball tonite.

Posted by: Brue | August 8, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Six and done for Mock. Now it's the 'pen's turn. I don't nearly have the trepdition I used to have when Manny was bringing in Column B, Gascanranhan et al.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | August 8, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Mock belongs down on the farm.IMO,we got NO SHOT with him starting.

Posted by: ripndot | August 8, 2009 4:32 PM

I'm just checking in and was surprised that we were ahead of Haren! So cool.

Posted by: charley42 | August 8, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Anybody else wince at the thought of Bard having to run around all 4 bases when he hit his dinger. Glad to see his injury is healing.

Can we get Belly in the game for the 9th inning at 1st? I know he sucks . .

Posted by: oneleggedNatsFan | August 8, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Can we get Belly in the game for the 9th inning at 1st? I know he sucks . .

Posted by: oneleggedNatsFan | August 8, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Well i'm not going to jinx us concerning tonite but i was just thinking what if?what if Manny had been sent packing by the end of May? what if Hanrahan was taken out of the closers role earlier say before the end of May? what if McCatty had been named pitching coach sooner? Just thinking what if?

Posted by: dargregmag | August 8, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

How about giving Clippard a start?

Posted by: nova_g_man | August 8, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

46-64

39-72

A Tale of Two Cities.

Acta: It was the worst of times.
Riggleman: It was the best of times.

Posted by: nova_g_man | August 8, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Whooo hooooo, Go Belly Go!!!

Belliard in at !st, Padilla in RF

Sosa closing

Posted by: oneleggedNatsFan | August 8, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

O Nick Johnson, Where Art Thou?

Posted by: SorenKierkegaard | August 8, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Seven is heaven! C'mon Lerners and StanK, do the right thing: make Rizzo and Riggs permanent now!

Posted by: jdschulz50 | August 8, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oneleggedNatsFan | August 8, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

7 is heaven, but 8 will be great. Ain't askin for much.

Posted by: cokedispatch | August 8, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Watch out for Mock's boogers.

Posted by: VelocityAtrocity | August 8, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Well, looks like Haren isn't as tough as some people think.

The Nats are showing what they're capable of!

Posted by: LoveThoseNats | August 8, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the Nats are not as weak as some people think :)

Let's go Nats!

Posted by: oneleggedNatsFan | August 8, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the Nats are not as weak as some people think :)

Let's go Nats!

Posted by: oneleggedNatsFan | August 8, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Another great win, keep it up!

This is now a fun team to watch!

Righleman and rizzo deserve a lot of credit.

Posted by: curz | August 8, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Omigawd, didja hear me screaming in the living room? I can't STAND it! What joy!
OK, OK, I want to know -- was tonight Padilla's first time on an MLB field outside of his turn as a PH the other day?
Did Riggsguy put Ronnie in because the manager's been reading us? Oh, glory -- WHEN was our last seven-game W streak?

Posted by: sbuck | August 8, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

@sbuck: The Nationals' seven-game run is their first since last Aug. 26-Sept. 1 and their longest since a 10-game streak from June 2-12, 2005.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | August 8, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

This is awesome, but it makes me sick to watch since we should be at least 10 games better than this with this (particularly offensive) talent. If you look at the Dbax blogs they're all incredulous over how bad our record is given our ability. The firing was 2 months too late and it cost us the chance at some great late season drama. Sign Strasburg and a free agent hurler and for god's sake lose Kearns. Then we'll be sweet. And it'll be sweet.

Posted by: RickFelt | August 8, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

And how about Dunn at first! He's been playing well there. He got a lot of action at 1B tonight and took care of business. There were also a couple balls that because of his sheer size he was able to reach that maybe most regular 1B's wouldn't have.

Posted by: SaveOurTeam | August 8, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Good for Mock for stepping up tonight and giving us six decent innings. I knew he was going to get it after the game, but laughed out loud at him carrying on the interview for a bit with a fully creamed (but not boogered) face.

Also, I called Bard's shot, sort of. When he came up I turned to my husband and said "he's due for an extra-base hit, maybe even a dinger." Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket?

Also, what if we'd had Burnett and Morgan in April? What if we hadn't had Hanrahan and Milledge? Or Cabrera? What if Willingham had been playing regularly?

For of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: 'it might have been.' Just enjoy the ride, folks.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 8, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Did the Nats actually win seven straight last year, also? This run is great.

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 8, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Good observation, SaveOurTeam. I've noticed Dunn several times saving throws with nice backhanded scoops. He's more than adequate, and even an asset with his big stretch. For all his defensive press, Nick was getting old at first. Dunn actually seems somewhat nimble. He's certainly no Dick Stuart. No Vic Power, either. Old timers will remember!
Bourbon straight, no Maalox tonight, ladies and gents.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | August 8, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

SaveOurTeam, I was noticing that about Dunn as well. We may have to start calling him Stretch.

Also, what if everybody had been using Dunn's bat in April???

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 8, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Yes, leetee, from August 26-September 1 of last year the Nats won 7 straight.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 8, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

@natsfan1a1

Yeah! He'll have to start marketing it. The Dunn Dinger or something.

That was funny what Dunn said about it... "it's a man's bat"

Posted by: SaveOurTeam | August 8, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone have the list of "ten ways you know your a Nats fan" that was on the tee shirt last Tuesday?

Posted by: twinbrook | August 8, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of the Dinger, what happened to the ice cream sandwich? I walked past Gifford's today at the ballpark and didn't see it.

I too think Dunn is adequate at first. It changes my mind that he is no better than a pinch hitter as a NL player. Long live Dunn as a National!

Posted by: paulkp | August 8, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Proving that bloggers are really just blowhard no-nothings....

---------------------------------------------------

Posted by: ripndot | August 8, 2009 4:32 PM |

Posted by: fischy | August 8, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Oops -- I meant know-nothings... Damned keyboard...

Posted by: fischy | August 8, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

hey, speak for yourself, fishy. SOME bloggers...

OK, most.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 8, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

The following is my post earlier this afternoon:

===============================================================

Mock pitching tonight. He's a bum, way overmatched in the bigs. Nats are going to be trailing 6-0 in the second inning, and you can only go to the come-from-behind well so often.

Plus my wife and I, who are 1-5 at the new park, are going to the game. No freakin' way we win tonight.

(There - if that isn't enough to dispel tonight's bad juju, I'm Jim Bowden's evil twin.)

Posted by: gilbertbp | August 8, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

=================================================================

Now y'all say "thank you" to the nice man.

Posted by: gilbertbp | August 8, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

twinbrook, we got the preview a week or so early from some enterprising investigative colleague in here. Of course, I'm too lazy to look it up...

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 8, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

I liked the TV shot of that middle-aged woman taking the Bard homerun ball away from some younger guy.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 8, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

jdschulz50: "Good observation, SaveOurTeam. I've noticed Dunn several times saving throws with nice backhanded scoops. He's more than adequate, and even an asset with his big stretch. For all his defensive press, Nick was getting old at first. Dunn actually seems somewhat nimble."
====================================================
Well, his height certainly helps, but his mass keeps him from moving very quickly when there's a grounder to his right. He played matador on at least one bouncer that a land-on-your-belly lunge would have stopped.

Ever watch a cruise ship getting under weigh? That's Dunn working up to top speed. I think if you put Dunn and Morgan in a race around the perimeter of the park, Nyjer carrying a mule on his back would lap him at least three times.

The missus and me loves our Adam Dunn bobbleheads.

Posted by: gilbertbp | August 8, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

1a: if only ... if only they had ...
That's the Montreal tagline.

They no longer have Bowden. They no longer have Acta. They no longer have St. Claire. They no longer have Hanrahan or Cabrera or Felipe Lopez. Don't look back, there's nothing to see there. The show's in front, the game is at home plate, and Jimmy, it's ON.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 8, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Oh man, Sec3, you nailed it. Cabrera. Opening day at Nats Park seems like about three years ago. You're so right: eyes ahead on the road. All hats off to Riggs. What a terrific couple of weeks. He's going to be awfully hard to get rid of. Right, StanK? Right, Markie Mark? Right, Uncle Teddy?

Posted by: jdschulz50 | August 8, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Gamers for night games barely have an hour most nights, so that part, at least, is no surprise.
But if you mean Berman's article, you're being a little harsh. I've read lots of gamers from regular beat writers on lots of papers, and this wasn't bad. No Povich, to be sure, but not bad.
*********************
The gamer reminded me of a paper written by a high school student an hour before it was due.
Posted by: aja24 | August 8, 2009 7:04 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 8, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

or were there mistakes I'm not seeing?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 8, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and I think I know what happened to Elwood.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 8, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

It was a decent, generic Wash. Post gamer on deadline, with facts correct. Lay off the kid. We've been spoiled by Svrluga/Chico the past few years.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | August 8, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Here ya go twinbrook:

You Know You're a Nats Fan If....
You've waited through more than one rain delay
You're friends with Teddy on Facebook
Inside Pitch is your favorite reading material
You've officially changed your address to NatsTown
You wonder why people get off the Green Line before Navy Yard
Your favorite day of the week is T-shirt Tuesday
You've tried to catch fly balls at 4:30
You doodle curly W's during meetings
You know which
Zimmerman(n) is which

Fun game tonight. The Metro rides are soooo much shorter when we win. The Bobble is nice too.

Eight'd be Great!

Posted by: dand187 | August 8, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Apparently there is a secret clubhouse goal? Any guesses? sleep on it.

Posted by: cokedispatch | August 8, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Since I'll be traveling tomorrow, I'll have to get my Belliard bash in tonight. OK Belly, no more easy nights, you hid out tonight til the 9th, now get crackin and do you job, you lazy bum.

Posted by: cokedispatch | August 8, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Since the topic came up, I did notice a couple of errors in last night's gamer:

"Slugger Adam Dunn approached the plate with runners on first and third base and two outs. Cristian Guzmán stole second base, allowing the Nationals to intentionally walk Dunn." Uh, I don't think the Nationals were the ones who issued the IBB to Dunn...

And the next paragraph: "Ordinarily, Riggleman would disapprove of such a move. He even wanted to tell Guzmán not to steal second on Friday, but the noise from the 22,674 in attendance drowned out his calls. In the back of his mind, though, Riggleman did not mind. Loading the bases for Dunn would guarantee Willingham would receive an at-bat before being removed for defensive purposes." Dunn was walked to load the bases for WILLINGHAM.

Just aayin'...

Posted by: BGinVA | August 8, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

I meant "Just sayin'"...I guess I shouldn't make a typo when I'm pointing out the mistakes of others :)

Posted by: BGinVA | August 8, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

BTW - the Nationals are 17-17 in their past 34 games. Break even ball since July 3.

Posted by: dand187 | August 9, 2009 12:15 AM | Report abuse

I know this is late, but the errors in Saturday's paper -- and the amazing level of ignorance about the game -- made me think the Post has given up on its sports page. I've been a subscriber since 1979 and I'm seriously thinking about giving up my hard copy subscription just because I can't stand the amateurism of this Nats' coverage this year and last.

There was a gamer last summer by Chico that I read as carefully as I would if I were grading a college paper (I was on a road trip and bored) and I found NINE grammar and usage errors. One day and nine errors that I'd fail a college kid for.

And it has continued since then. I make my own share of errors in first drafts -- but I don't publish them.

And I'm happy to read error-filled blogs, since the price is right, but I'm not sure why I keep paying for sub-high school sports writing.

Posted by: Snopes1 | August 9, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

And Guzman didn't steal second. The AZ manager, who badly overmanages, came out and told the infield to play back so that Guzman would be enticed to take second based on defensive indifference. This would allow them to walk Dunn. Very strange. Why not just walk Dunn? On the other hand, grow a pair and pitch to the guy!

Posted by: paulkp | August 9, 2009 1:10 AM | Report abuse

my apologies for being clueless about Belly bashing last night. I was going to say I'm not superstious, but after tonight, well, I guess Belly's mom dresses him funny.

Posted by: nats24 | August 9, 2009 2:06 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, the Zimmermann news is cause for concern.

Posted by: nats24 | August 9, 2009 2:12 AM | Report abuse

paulkp - I agree that it should have been scored defensive indifference, since there wasn't even a throw and Whitesell ran back to the outfield grass before the pitch, but the official scorer bizarrely scored it as a stolen base.

Posted by: Snopes1 | August 9, 2009 3:46 AM | Report abuse

really orestes destrada...hes "mock"ing them? come on espn...mlb network is my only refuge

Posted by: formerlylove1 | August 9, 2009 3:55 AM | Report abuse

The best thing about this latest win? The fact that they gave up only two runs. Winning streaks are fun, but they mean more when they are built around improved pitching and defense. Up until last night, it's really just been a sustained offensive explosion.

I know, I know... high class problems complaining about the manner in which they've won seven in a row. Nonetheless it's good to see a well-pitched game finally - by Mock and Sosa no less. And no errors!

#4

Posted by: db423 | August 9, 2009 5:14 AM | Report abuse

"'Ats a'ight."
--Saul Good

***********
Just aayin'...
Posted by: BGinVA | August 8, 2009 11:43 PM
I meant "Just sayin'"...

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 9, 2009 7:21 AM | Report abuse

Nice find on the pic, sec3. Are you saying that the Nats opened a can of Elwood whup a$$ on this homestand?

Coked, when I heard that on the postgame, I wondered whether reaching a winning record at home might be one of the goals. So that was my first, best guess.

Good point about the starting pitching, #4. As previously noted, good on Mock for stepping up, and I'd add props for Burnett as well as Sosa.

(p.s. Better late than never on the Belli bashing, nats24. ;-))

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 9, 2009 7:31 AM | Report abuse

Also, the Dunn Dinger is a great name, SaveOurTeam!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 9, 2009 7:38 AM | Report abuse

I've not looked for the Dingers lately, paulkp (I'm partial to the batting helmet sundaes), but in the past I've purchased them from the little carts around the park.

(and that was kinda my point re. "if only," sec3)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 9, 2009 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Thanks dand187

Posted by: twinbrook | August 9, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

That move to get a LH Willie Harris in there was huge. Nice triple and run scored!

Willingham has been so clutch. That HR amazing.

And for all the criticism I gave Mock, I have to say that GARRETT GAVE A GREAT GAME pitching performance.

Hats off to Riggleman for pulling all the right strings again.

IF IT IS LUCK, WE'LL TAKE IT.
IF IT IS SKILL, WE'LL TAKE IT.
IF IT IS DIVINE INTERVENTION, WE'LL TAKE IT

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | August 9, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

The Zimmermann news is a concern for another reason:

It is a reminder of the particular fragility of pitchers at the very time the deadline is approaching on Strasburg.

If you're Uncle Teddy, how much are you willing to commit to Strasburg when you see your best major-league level pitching prospect suddenly develop a potentially career shortening problem?

How many millions of your money would you be willing to invest on a college pitcher at the very moment you have been reminded of how quickly the arc of a pitcher's career can change -- and when Tom Boswell's warnings are still ringing in your ears? We shall see.

Posted by: Meridian1 | August 9, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

When Belli comes to the plate, I want to *buy the world a Coke*. He always *squeezes the Charmin* and he never *leaves home without it*.

And then there's his fielding. *Martha Raye (comedienne, denture wearer)* could make a better throw, and what's up with his positioning? He looks like a *little dab* out there.

Posted by: Scooter_ | August 9, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Well, Gilbert's luck turned, so maybe mine will, too. My husband and I are oh-fer at the park this year, unless you count the exhibition game vs. the O's, which we won thanks partly to Mr. Willingslam (but was he using Dunn's bat at the time?). Anyhoo, we'll be in the Infield Gallery cheering our boys on today. Hope that Morgan's not getting a day off because I want to see him play (selfish, I know).

Also, did y'all see the guy with the Jose Morales custom tee on last night's broadcast? Awesome. Come on, fess up if you designed it.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 9, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Hah! A very strong entry from Scooter.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 9, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Seven in a row and the best pitcher in the organization going to Dr Andrews. Yet No new posts after the lineup. If you don't get it you don't get it.

The lack of coverage is embarassing.

Posted by: raymitten | August 9, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

This just in folks! Guzman has been claimed off waivers by the Boston Red Sox. Be interested to see whether we pull him, cut bait with him, or find some face saving trade to work out with the Bo Sox.

If possible, it would be nice to see them get some player value back from the Bo Sox, even if they have to give some cash to Boston.

To me, though, if Boston claimed him, you've got to let that aging salary and weak defense go.

Posted by: souldrummer | August 9, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Here's the link to the story:

Posted by: souldrummer | August 9, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Hey, Redskins season has started. The burgundy and gold monopolizes the coverage in this town until we can get a 'Nats playoff run going down the stretch. I wish there were more coverage, too, though.

--------------------------------

The lack of coverage is embarassing.

Posted by: raymitten | August 9, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: souldrummer | August 9, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link, souldrummer. Will be interesting to see what develops.

Also, stop me if you've seen this before but I just found an updated (i.e., 2009) concessions guide on the team site. It is organized by concourse and has brief descriptions of the offerings of each stand as well as the section number.

You can also see the locations of concessions via the ballpark maps link in the same area of the site.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 9, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Good morning 1A! Thanks to souldrummer as well. This vexes me, and shows how the Lerners have got the nation thinking about the Nats - a small market team who can't afford to keep a .300 hitting shortstop for their fans.
*****************************************
"Guzman is currently in a two-year $16 million deal. He will earn $8 million next season, which would likely prevent a lot of teams risk placing a claim on him for fear the Nationals would just award him to get rid of the contract. A big market team like Boston would have no worries on that front."
from Boston.com

Posted by: flynnie2 | August 9, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Here are today's line-ups from MASN.

Elijah Dukes is back in the lineup in right field.

Diamondbacks

Dunn - 1B
Willingham - LF
Dukes - RF
Bard - C
Gonzalez - 2B
Martin - P

Congrats to Jorge Padilla for his first major league catch in the 9th yesterday. I noticed Belliard at first turned around to clap for him. Course he usually plays like he's got his back to the action anyway.

Posted by: longhorn64 | August 9, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Like Strasburg, my biggest thing is not do they spend or not spend the money, it's if they don't spend it here do they spend it elsewhere.

We could have a truly atrocious shortstop situation next year with or without Guzman next year. If he continues to age, he could be an unacceptable statue at SS that doesn't overcome poor defense with offense. On the other hand, we really have no middle infield prospects in the system with the possible exception of a now starting to slump in AAA Ian Desmond.

It would really help matters if AGonz started to hit with the bat again.

Posted by: souldrummer | August 9, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

1a, that link is the awesome. Thanks ever so.

Flynnie, I concur as to the treatment of our Nats. I don't blame the Lerners, though. Years of rhetoric about how small-market teams can't compete has led commentators to make knee-jerk associations: poor-performing team = poor team = don't want big contracts.

As you rightly point out, nobody but nobody should be acting as though the team can't afford to run with the big dogs.

(For what it's worth, I still don't know that they won't -- when they believe it's time. Witness their paying teams to take Johnson and Beimel, essentially buying better prospects than they could have gotten in a straight trade.)

Posted by: Scooter_ | August 9, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Guzman is really hot right now, and up to now was described as untradeable. I don't see the point of putting him through waivers unless they intended to trade him. Just letting Guzman walk would be a cynical maneuver, and would have nothing to do with a potential Strasburg signing, no matter the noise from the front office.

If the Nats get value for Guzman, and eat some of his salary, I will be OK with it. Guzzie has certainly become a lot more interesting since his eye surgery, and i would miss him. It's all abou the future, now, though.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | August 9, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I would not want the Nats to heistate to pull back Guzman if the Red Sox are not willing to pay a fair price in prospects for him. It is true that Guzman has the range of scarecrow but he is a valuable contributor at the plate. They need to get a decent player in return.

Posted by: natbiscuits | August 9, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I'd let them have Guzman in a heartbeat for whatever I could get.

Posted by: Brian_ | August 9, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Folks, I know it's an afternoon game, but it still counts in the satandings. Let's not get complacent.

Ronnie Belliard once led off an inning by hitting into a triple play,

Posted by: Scooter_ | August 9, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Ronnie Belliard wanted to improve his play, to keep the streak going.

So he started using Adam Dunn's glove.

Posted by: Scooter_ | August 9, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

lineups up

Posted by: NatsNut | August 9, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

From the Boston Globe on the Sox claiming Guzman:

"NEW YORK - "Major League sources indicate that the Red Sox have put in a claim on Washington Nationals switch-hitting shortstop Christian Guzman, who is hitting .315 after hitting .316 last season."

"If the Red Sox have been awarded the claim - which has not been confirmed - the Red Sox would have 48 hours to work out a deal with the Nationals. The Nationals could also just award Guzman to the Red Sox or they could pull him back. Guzman is a free-swinging hitter (he has only 13 walks and a .333 on base percentage) who has made two All-Star teams. He's hit mostly leadoff and second for the Nationals. Defensively he's also committed 13 errors."

"During this trade waiver period teams can put in claims on players as they pass through waivers. The team awarded the claim on any player would have to have the worst record of any team who placed the claim. In Guzman's case, he would have to be passed on by every team in the National League first before an American League team would have a chance."

"Guzman is crrently in a two-year $16 million deal. He will earn $8 million next season, which would likely prevent a lot of teams risk placing a claim on him for fear the Nationals would just award him to get rid of the contract."

Posted by: Samson151 | August 9, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse