Lineups From Great American Ball Park

Nix - 7
Rosales - 5
Hanigan - 2
Janish - 6
Cueto - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  August 15, 2009; 3:51 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nats Offer Strasburg Record-Setting Contract
Next: A Few Pre-Game Notes

Comments

You can't trade a signed draft choice for one year after they are signed

Posted by: WashOut | August 15, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Belliard batting second!? Instead of the speedier Dukes? Oh ... Riggleman must read NJ. He knows the Nats only hope is "Belliard bashing" ... :)

Posted by: periculum | August 15, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Belliard is worst than Thrilledge batting second. Its truly like watching a circus act watching him chase balls that go through is legs. Hmmm, maybe Nyjer can nickname him "Jigglypuff".

Posted by: periculum | August 15, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I have the sneakin' suspicion that Belliard may be back here next year. Just a hunch because of all of the playing time he's been getting and the apparent likelihood that no one wants to make a waiver deal for him.

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 15, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Interesting article on what can happen to prospects that hold out for more money:

Posted by: Vze2sr66 | August 15, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I liked reading the article on Harrington, I saw the one by Nelson earlier in the year. Is there a lesson to be learned by the Nats or Strasburg? I'm not sure.

I do get frustrated by those who claim we HAVE to sign Strasburg, who suggest the Lerners HAD to know how much it would cost, if they drafted him.

I disagree. This is what the Lerners HAD to know. 1) How much #1 draft picks had received, during the history of the draft 2) The success/failure rate of #1 picks and first round picks in general 3) How much they felt comfortable paying - I cannot fault them if they have a $ figure beyond which they won't go.

I'm not trying to defend the Lerners but I will include one more argument. Isn't it logical for the team to assume the player will accept a reasonable offer? We can certainly argue over how much money is reasonable, under these circumstances. However, if the team offers 30% or 50% more than any other player has ever received, I would argue that is more than fair.

Posted by: grforbes | August 15, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Jigglypuff....HAHAHAHAHA! It sticks.

Posted by: jkraeg | August 15, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Lastings update. BA .167 for us; vast improvement to .212 for the Bucs, SLG a dizzying .268.

While some whine about Tony P for no good reason, Lastings and Pirates management haVE upset this man. I laughed uncontrollably , but your mileage may, and likely will, vary, Cash-For-Clunkers breath.

IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED, DO NOT WATCH THIS VIDEO. AND IF YOUR GUT BUSTS FROM LAUGHING, THAT'S TOUGH. STOP LAUGHING.

Who knew that Adolf followed the NL Central, anyway? I apologize for the rough language, but in defense, he must now watch Thrilledge in the field. Punishment enough.

And Tony Plush always had a chew stain on his shoulder.

Posted by: nova_g_man | August 15, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Great article on Harrington. Put's SS negotiations into clearer perspective. Tremendous risk on both sides. If I didn't have Crow clouding my mind, I would certainly think SS signs with current offer or slightly above. Can't imagine him taking on that type of risk.

Additional risk is the the odometer on SS's arm. After seeing Jzim go down this year despite not having overpowering fastball, it's clearer to me that nearly all starting pitchers these days run a high risk of burn out.

The long list from wikipedia for pitchers who have had TJ surgery is scary. I wonder what % of starting pitchers over past decade actually go down with arm problems within there first 5 years of professional ball?

Posted by: gusgrace | August 15, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Adolph was probably a Penguins fan too, the ass.

Posted by: SorenKierkegaard | August 15, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

If you want certainty, then don't take the risk in signing SS. If he blows out his arm or doesn't live up to his PR hype, then some other club loses out. Maybe not risking the extra $500K on Crow will work out OK also. Maybe not signing the expensive FAs will work out OK too. Maybe focusing on low-budget trades and forgoing the risks of acquiring guys with MLB-level salaries in trades will work out fine. It could all work out. Some Nats' fans see the Nats mirroring Tampa Bay as a low-budget success story. Others see the Pirates or KC as where the Nats are heading.

Nonetheless, there might be some risk in not taking risk. In other words, if you just focus on low-budget, risk-free strategies, you build your team with marginal major league players and lose the fan base over time. I sure hope the area around Nats park will not become a ghost town. DC has invested a lot in the Lerners and placed their trust in this family.

Posted by: EdDC | August 15, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

"I sure hope the area around Nats park will not become a ghost town. DC has invested a lot in the Lerners and placed their trust in this family."

Posted by: JohnRDC | August 15, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Man, I love Posnanski. Great piece about Harrington. Thanks for posting that, Vze.

Posted by: Section220 | August 15, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Hey, speaking of wackos coming out of the woodwork, who's for Tuesday's game, center field seats, must wear porkpie hats, dark glasses, and loud shirts?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 15, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

JohnRDC sats: "Ed, due to the depression upon us, the area around the ball park will be a ghost town for a decade or more. No financing, for one thing. (See commercial real estate slumping, etc.)"

Gee, I had not noticed the recession! But I'll certainly read those parts of the newspaper that you suggested.

Of course it takes a while for an anchor to kick off development, and it may take a business cycle or two to determine how well it goes. Having said that, what the Lerners do to build interest in the team will help determine how successfully that part of town becomes. What the Nats do over time is not irrelevant to the level of development success.

Posted by: EdDC | August 15, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Why didn't anybody TELL ME there is a NEW POST?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 15, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse