Lineups From Nationals Park

No Ryan Zimmerman for the Nats; explanation to come.

Marlins

Dukes - 9
Harris - 5
Gonzalez - 4
Nieves - 2
Martin - 1

By Dave Sheinin  |  August 4, 2009; 3:13 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: What's Left of the Expos
Next: Zimmerman Day-to-Day With Shoulder Injury

Comments

I guess with this pitching matchup there's no way the Nats win, thus a good day to rest Zim.

Posted by: trezmartin | August 4, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Zim's HBP last night was nasty. My guess is that he's feeling the effects of the HBP today. It is going to be odd seeing Nick in teal and black.

Posted by: VaNat | August 4, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

C'mon JD!! Keep the ball low, keep that adrenalin down! Keep up the pace and the good work limiting those walks! I know you can do it!

Posted by: periculum | August 4, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Zim did go yard after the HBP, so hopefully this is just a day of rest.

Posted by: sec307 | August 4, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Not sure about Harris at third. They ought to consider Morris. But Morris is getting to play every day in Syracuse. I guess that's the idea at this point.

Posted by: periculum | August 4, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Martin and Mock are trash... I'd rather see Shairon Martis given another shot.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | August 4, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | August 4, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I think that Zim may be "getting a rest" in part b/c he lazied another throw to first last night. Rigs reportedly has been on him to keep his head in the game and make that throw like he should -- every time.

Posted by: dfh21 | August 4, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

"Detwiler left after pitching less than an inning. I wonder if he got injured? Anyone know?"

Rain delayed the game in the first inning

Posted by: Brian_ | August 4, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

"Martin and Mock are trash... I'd rather see Shairon Martis given another shot."

I'd rather see Holder, Storen, (and Karns + Strasburg if they ever sign). I think they should trade Martis, Mock, and Stammen plus Dukes for McCutheon. Yeah, I know in my dreams.

Posted by: periculum | August 4, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Is Harris hitting Josh Johnson better than Zim is?

Posted by: poncedeleroy | August 4, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

"Rain delayed the game in the first inning

Posted by: Brian_ | August 4, 2009"

Oh, yeah afternoon game, summer time. Thunderstorm almost every afternoon between 1 and 3PM. I remember ... ~smiles~

Posted by: periculum | August 4, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sec307 | August 4, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

"I think Mock's days as a starter are numbered. Balestar has shown a little something, but I think it's time to bring Shairon back too."

He's made good progress ... but he has also thrown a lot of pitches and he and Detwiler are both pretty young? I think they should hold off until the end of August, its not like they will help the Nats move up to the .500 mark.

Posted by: periculum | August 4, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Balester appears to have jumped the last hurdle. He looks to be a keeper for the starting rotation. Clippard and Burnett are doing great! Mock has gone the other direction, as has Stammen. Martin is still not quite known. If he keeps the ball down and displays the kind of leadership he showed in Syracuse ... if he doesn't then he will likely not be on the roster next year. This is the best possible test: the first game in a home series against the Marlins who have had the Nats number all year.

Posted by: periculum | August 4, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Zimmerman's 4-for-14 against Josh Johnson with a couple RBIs lifetime, so that's not likely to be it.

Posted by: faNATic | August 4, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I agree it's time for martis to reappear and mock to lose his spot in the rotation, i hope nick gets a real ovation tonight he deserves it

Posted by: bford1kb | August 4, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I hope Nick gets an ovation too... and then goes 0-4.

Posted by: sec307 | August 4, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: outsider6 | August 4, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Can't believe Martis is still in NY, what? Mock and Martin are better? and after the Balestar claim that he was satisfied with his start the other night, whoa! gotta love those low expectations if McCatty didn't have a talk after he made that statement then he should have, every starting pitcher should strive for seven innings at a minimum a complete game should be the objective.

Posted by: dargregmag | August 4, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

No, he is learning in a safe environment, and limiting his season pitch count. Just ask Riggleman, pitch counts are important.

Posted by: soundbloke | August 4, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Would rather have Mock as a spot starter until Zimmermann comes off the DL than yank Martis back and forth. Let him keep working on things in stability, then bring him back when you intend to keep him up.

Posted by: Section506 | August 4, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I hope Nick gets an ovation too... and then goes 0-4.

Posted by: sec307

I'd let Nick go 1-4...... j/k ..... but I would definately stand up and cheer for that man!

Posted by: susandea | August 4, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Nick go 0-2, with a sacrifice bunt and a hit by pitch.

Posted by: Section506 | August 4, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

"I suspect the use of Mock, Martin, et al is part of the plan to limit the innings of all these young starters... they all have an season limit that the organization is trying to adhere to. No reason to overuse them during a 40-50 win season.

Posted by: outsider6 | August 4, 2009"

At least through August I expect. There are probably going to be others besides Martis and Detwiler they may want to see. Both Estrada and Atilano have shown recent improvements. And it sure looks like Holder will be up in AA ... Storen that guy looks like he is ready to be the closer in Syracuse right now. I can't see how he won't be on the expanded roster.

Posted by: periculum | August 4, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

3 errors today for Desmond. Plus 1 for Casto. Syracuse has been making a lot of errors of late with their new lineups. That can't be good.

Posted by: periculum | August 4, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Nick Johnson was the only remaining player from the Nationals' opening day lineup in 2005. I'd like to see him hit a solo HR in a losing cause.

Posted by: LandoverHillsBoysClub | August 4, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

One thing's for sure. Nick won't be walking against JD. Should add a measure of excitement to his at bats.

Posted by: periculum | August 4, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Can't make it tonight. Give Nick a nice round of applause for me...

Posted by: Kev29 | August 4, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Guzzie was around in '05 too.

Posted by: sec307 | August 4, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Remember: Martis pitched (well) in the WBC so he's got even more innings thrown this year -- those games were intense innings. If those innings wore on Daisuke, they'll wear on anyone.

Better to be cautious this year when we have plenty of arms to take a looksee...

Posted by: mo_dc | August 4, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Martis didn't pitch in the WBC this year.

Posted by: Section220 | August 4, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Nah, 506. I don't want to see Nick hit by a pitch. It would probably end his season. I think I'd like to see him try to steal second and do one of his patented beached whale slides. ;-) Love ya, Nick, but no runs for you today...

mo-dc, I think that Martis pitched in the WBC last year, not this year.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 4, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Martis pitched (very well) in the WBC the LAST time around. He actually skipped the WBC this time to put in extra work during spring training, so the WBC effect should not be a concern for Martis at this point.

Posted by: faNATic | August 4, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Oh, 220 was quicker on the draw...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 4, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I am swimming in Cokes at this point.

Posted by: Section220 | August 4, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

But I did beat faNATic to the punch... :-D

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 4, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Timing is everything, 220.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 4, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Oh, no, I was just throwing out a random mediocre batting line, no harm actually wished on Nick.

Posted by: Section506 | August 4, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Ah, okay then, 506.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 4, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

WASHINGTON, DC - Nick "China" Johnson, first baseman for the Florida Marlins, shattered into several hundred pieces this evening after being hit by a pitch. Authorities are believed to be search for someone in Section 506.

Posted by: Section220 | August 4, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Aruba, Area 506 - The world's richest man has purchased the world's most famous exotic destination in cash. Known only mysteriously as Section 506, he has the innate ability to make things happen merely by wishing them anonymously on the internet.

506 is fleeing authorities after wishing ill on a former star of the Washington Nationals. He then took out a bet that they would win the World Series and reaped huge profits. It's rumored that his next project will be to have Johnny Horton awarded a medal for greatest American-singer-that-never-wrote-a-song-in-his-entire-life, creating a swimming pool made of ice cream sundae, or finally putting an end to those terrible Geico commercials with the wad of money.

Posted by: Section506 | August 4, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

506 - for the avoidance of any possible doubt, I was entirely joshing and I won't blame you at all when pieces of Nick are placed on the DL tomorrow.

Posted by: Section220 | August 4, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm afraid the Marlins fans might, though. I don't want both of them coming after me!

Posted by: Section506 | August 4, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Both of them?

[rimshot]

Posted by: Section220 | August 4, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of injuries, new post up.

p.s. I am planning my next vacation now, 506. Please get the guest room ready.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 4, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Those Geico commercials are creepy.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 4, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse