Lineups From Wrigley

Got the Nats lineup here. Still waiting on Chicago's.

Washington

Harris - 8
Guzman - 6
Zimmerman - 5
Dunn - 3
Willingham - 7
Dukes - 9
Gonzalez - 4
Nieves - 2
Hernandez - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  August 26, 2009; 4:28 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Welcoming Back the Old Workhorse
Next: A Need for Pitchers; A Plan to Juggle Them

Comments

Also, I really did not have time last night to go on a rant about Debbie the Dingbat, but she really is painful to listen to. I don't know if those interview questions are the ones she personally picks out or if her producer makes her say those stupid things, but the result is the same - horrible. Please stop with the "Tell us how it feels to ..." and "What was it like to ..." leading questions. The goal is not to elicit a prescripted quote from your subjects. The goal is to entertain, inform, and drive up ratings. She strikes out everytime. Between her interviews and the horible Geico Caveman themesong, I'm not sure which makes me hit the mute button faster. (Seriously, I almost tripped trying to get to the remote last night). Aaaghhhh!!!

Now back to our regular programming, Bob, Rob back to you.

Posted by: natbiscuits | August 26, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Debbie Dribble off to you Senor Dibble.

Posted by: periculum | August 26, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Crap where's Belliard? He's hot ... I think the audition for Gonzo should be done.

Posted by: periculum | August 26, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

C'mon, we know all this. Clearly, we don't care. And Livan speaks English as well as or better than some folks here write it.
********************
I hate to rain on the Livo parade, but sentiment only goes so far. The Mets' starting pitching is a mess, but the team still released Hernandez. He was getting pounded. Maybe he'll be able to rekindle the '05 spark once or twice, but I wouldn't count on it. None of the Nats starters being Spanish speakers, picking his brain might take some translation.
Posted by: nats24 | August 26, 2009 2:38 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 26, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Livan is probably good for 180-200 innings. After that ...

Posted by: periculum | August 26, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Well, by that time the season will be over, anyway.
***********
Livan is probably good for 180-200 innings. After that ...
Posted by: periculum | August 26, 2009 4:54 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 26, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Given that they are starting Harris at lead off again. One can almost bet that Maxwell will be getting one of the September call ups.

But I wonder what happens if Syracuse gets into the playoffs?

Posted by: periculum | August 26, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I think even my redheaded Cubs fan wife will be rooting for Livo tonight. Here's hoping the wind holds. Livan might get one himself.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 26, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

and correct me if I'm wrong, but they don't 86 fans for tossing balls back, there. Tossing beers back, yes. But not home run balls.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 26, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

mmmmmmmmmmmm.... beer!

Makes me want to find a can of Heileman's Old Style, or maybe Hamm's.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 26, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I guess Nyjer is still sick, and would everyone chill as my daughter would say and let Livo pitch i mean some of these post are just plain goofy hell i'd rather see a seasoned vet like Hernandez than some rookie come in and get tagged like he's serving up BP. Chico can we get an update on Nyjer's condition kinda worried about my boy.

Posted by: dargregmag | August 26, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

my formative baseball experiences were at wrigley.

my first beer in public was at wrigley (i went alone and asked the strangers in my row to buy it for me).

i am still a little awed by the ivy each time i go back.

i am still a little disappointed that they put lights up at Wrigley.

i remember the vendors yelling "old style!" in their way.

i remember Hary Cary singing (excuse me, slurring) take me out to the ballgame during the stretch.

i don't think I've ever seen the cubs win there.

i should be there tonight (but, unfortunately, I won't be)

Posted by: ihatewalks | August 26, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Makes me want to find a can of Heileman's Old Style, or maybe Hamm's.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 26, 2009 4:59 PM

I love Wrigley - but I can live without the Old Pile!

Six pack of something nice and another Nats win tonight sounds good to me.

Posted by: Kev29 | August 26, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

No, he meant tonight. 180-200 innings.

-----

Well, by that time the season will be over, anyway.
***********
Livan is probably good for 180-200 innings. After that ...
Posted by: periculum | August 26, 2009 4:54 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 26, 2009 4:55 PM

Posted by: JohninMpls | August 26, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Hey Peri -- Chico posted the lineups before I could put my two cents in on your fascination with Seth Bynum.

I took a (very) quick look at the 2B in the International League, and of all 30 players that have played at least 30 Games, Bynum leads all IL 2B in Errors with 20!

Oh yeah, and Bynum is #20 out of these 30 2B in batting average and #23 in OBP.

I like me a feel-good story just about as much as the next guy, and I always root for the underdog, but please stop trying to fluff up Bynum's accomplishments in AAA. He really isn't that good.

Posted by: erocks33 | August 26, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

"The next closest is Brooks Conrad (Gwinnett Braves) with 19 errors, Justin Turner (Norfolk Tides) has 18 and Luis Bolivar (Louisville Bats) has 16. Rounding out the Top 5 is Travis Denker (Pawtucket Sox) with 14.

Oh yeah, and Bynum is #20 out of these 30 2B in batting average and #23 in OBP.

Posted by: erocks33 | August 26, 2009"

Then please explain why these others were not picked as the International League's starting second baseman? Instead of Bynum? Inquiring minds would like to know?

Posted by: periculum | August 26, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Nyjer must be really sick :( I never saw him in the dugout yesterday..

Posted by: rachel216 | August 26, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

OK, fine. Have a nice Sept. watching the guy who gives up more hits per innings than any pitcher in baseball. And when did he last throw an 88 mph fastball? Not recently.

Hey, I hope he pitches a shutout tonight. I hope I win the lottery, too.

Posted by: nats24 | August 26, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

"If it's goofy to prefer to go with young guys in September instead of Livan, what exactly qualifies as sane?

Posted by: nats24 | August 26, 2009"

Sheesh, the September call-ups haven't even happened yet? You've seen the players they chose for the AZ fall league. You know they still need to pick another pitcher ... one that hasn't passed his expiration in innings pitched.

Mostly you will see bullpen guys as opposed to starters. They already have a "feel" for all the "prospect" starters except for the AA starters, Luis Atilano and Estrada. At least 2 of those will be called.

And they still want to win games. At least that is my hope.

Posted by: periculum | August 26, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Again, nobody said it was goofy; stop being so hard on yourself. They don't have anybody else, and if he can keep it to four runs in six or seven innings, that may be good enough most nights. He'll get maybe 8 or 9 starts, tops.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 26, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | August 26, 2009 5:19 PM
------------------------------------------

Posted by: erocks33 | August 26, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

In addition to schooling the Nat's pitchers Livo should explain to the hitters how his junk worked on them. Hope he can befuddle the Cubs like he way did to the Nat's this year although recent history says no. At any rate, it's still good to have him on our side again.

Posted by: SackMan | August 26, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

And don't we have "something" like that now at Nats Park (that red tent thing atop the left field parking garage?)...and won't we also have "something" like that in a few years when Monument finally gets the financing to fill in that hole-in-the-ground on Half & N with a shiny new residential hi-rise?

Then all Stan needs to do is grow some wall ivy and...voila! The "new" Wrigley!
Then the question becomes: where do we put the D.C. 'green monster'?

Posted by: 1stBaseCoach | August 26, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

ihw, those were good days, even if they weren't good teams. We always went to see the Giants. Mays, McCovey, Marichal, Manny Mota, Stu Miller (who got blown off the mound by a gust in Candlestick once), Mike McCormick ... Cepeda, all three Alous... Dick LeMay, a "sinkerball" pitcher... where was I?
Oh yeah, Wrigley -- early sixties. My wife still doesn't believe me that the men's room didn't have separate urinals, just a wall-length basin with constantly-running water.
The hot dogs at the outside vendors were much better than inside the park.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 26, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Objection. Move to strike as nonresponsive.
************
Posted by: erocks33 |

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 26, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

(Flynnie, we're all holding for you.)

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 26, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

What he said.

---

********************
Posted by: nats24 | August 26, 2009 2:38 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 26, 2009 4:45 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 26, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

"Anyone here ever watch a Wrigley game from one of the famous 'across-the-street" rooftops?

Then all Stan needs to do is grow some wall ivy and...voila! The "new" Wrigley!
Then the question becomes: where do we put the D.C. 'green monster'?

Posted by: 1stBaseCoach | August 26, 2009"

I like it. I think they should do it. Something to make it unique and not a "cookie cutter".

Posted by: periculum | August 26, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

"Wow. You got me. Maybe Bynum is the second coming. Because everyone knows that if you get picked to play in an All-Star game, you must be the best ever.
Posted by: erocks33"

Yeah, they must be pretty stupid for picking guys like Pujols or even Lincecum? Those guys must really suck.

Posted by: periculum | August 26, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

A not particularly flattering pic of the HammaSlamma on a Cubbies blog:

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 26, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Again no Morgan - that means the Washington side is TWO for FOURTY-ONE (.049) against Harden since 2004, with AGonz having BOTH hits; and Livo (16HR in 135.0IP) is taking the mound in "the friendly confines".

The team is pooched / toast / mulch for the ivy, etc. Baby fur seals have a better chance then WSH does tonight.

Posted by: BinM | August 26, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Then the question becomes: where do we put the D.C. 'green monster'?

Posted by: 1stBaseCoach

Did you not know that the whole park is a certified GREEN MONSTER ....well monster lite but maybe in a few years we ALL can make it a MONSTER.

Posted by: CBinDC1 | August 26, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Then the question becomes: where do we put the D.C. 'green monster'?
Posted by: 1stBaseCoach

Posted by: CBinDC1 | August 26, 2009 6:44 PM |
-------------------
Maybe Dunn in an "Incredible Hulk" costume at 1B?

Posted by: BinM | August 26, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Do us proud, Livo, and you can have all the cheeseburgers you want (but no fries).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 26, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Women DO NOT belong in baseball reporting!And you honestly do not want to know what I call her. The poster above got the initial right (d), but it's far from dingbat. I'm also getting tired of Dibble's superior attitude. Who cares when you played ball or who you know, etc.... Right on! Thank goodness for that mute button.

Posted by: RJandTotoinOz | August 26, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and a new twist - a mysogynistic troll clutters the landscape. Nice.

Posted by: BinM | August 26, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

"Oh, and a new twist - a mysogynistic troll clutters the landscape. Nice.

Posted by: BinM | August 26, 2009"

What Monster Clown is as love-a-ble as ever lovin' Hulk, Hulk, Hulk ... no its Belliard the troglodyte gargoyle of Nats field!? Put 'em in coach he's hot!

Posted by: periculum | August 26, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

peri: You just don't get it most of the time (sigh). The "mysogynistic troll" reference was pointed at RJandToto; the Dunn as the Hulk was a response to 1BCoach & CBinDC regarding the "Green Monster".

Posted by: BinM | August 26, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

natsfan1a1 thanks for the Billy Goat Tavern clip. I think I was there about 20 years ago. I'm sure its the same, stuck under the El tracks.

Posted by: twinbrook | August 26, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

RJandToto...

You know, I don't particularly like Debbie Taylor either. Heck, I rail against the whole MASN crew (not always rightly, but it's my position so I play it as well as I can). So when I tell you that Debbie Taylor actually does know baseball (despite the pandering questions her producers require her to ask), you might believe me. It might not matter, and because you make statements like "Women DO NOT belong in baseball reporting!" I'm inclined to disregard you as a troll and/or ignoramus. But there are three strikes in this game and that's one (so far).

Also: Don't worry, I won't be reporting this incident to the blogmom.

Go Nats!

Posted by: ihatewalks | August 26, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

"and/or"?? Where does "or" come in? You're a lot kinder than I was about to be.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 26, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

So how much *are* they paying Livan? Not that it matters, just wondering.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 26, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

did i mention there's been a new post for a while now?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 26, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | August 26, 2009

Brooks Conrad was selected as the IL starting 2B, but was not elligible to play because he had been called up to the Bigs for a 25 day stint. FYI, most of his errors came from filling in at other possitions as the Braves try to further develope him as a utility player. He has played multiple games at 1B, SS, 3B, LF and even as catcher. Very few of his erros actually came while he was at 2B.

Posted by: crddlr2000 | August 27, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse