Nats 12, Marlins 8

Ronnie Belliard: "It feels good. It feels good coming in every day and thinking about winning."

Jason Bergmann: "Everybody is brimming with confidence."

Logan Kensing: "Lately it just seems like we're alive."

Some games require a balance of timely hitting and good pitching. Some games, this among them, require something more -- a confidence, a belief. Washington's 12-8 comeback victory Thursday afternoon against Florida demanded the sort of assuredness that this team lacked weeks earlier. The Nats were down 6-0. Their own pitcher, Craig Stammen, had been flushed from the game after just five outs. The team was playing in its 22nd consecutive game without an off day. The bullpen was worn down. On and on: All reasons that this game could have gotten ugly, and turned into a long, listless afternoon.

Instead, Washington's fifth consecutive victory -- which concluded a series sweep against the Marlins -- took form just when the hopes seemed shot, and built inning by inning, helped by a few big spurts from the offense and 7-1/3 innings of two-run ball from the bullpen. Almost everybody had a hand in this win, but I'll list a few.

* Ryan Zimmerman, went 4 for 4. His two-run homer in the fifth inning made this an 8-5 game; at that point, no longer did the Nats need much wishful thinking to imagine a comeback. Later, in the four-run eighth where the Nats broke an 8-8 tie, Zimmerman supplied an RBI triple.

* Elijah Dukes hit a solo home run in the seventh that tied the game at 8, bringing the Nats all the way back.

* Cristian Guzman led off the bottom of the eighth, the score tied at 8, by drawing a rare walk. Even after he started behind 0-2. Guzman later scored the go-ahead run, helped by a Nyjer Morgan bunt and a Belliard single.

* Bergmann came on with the bases loaded in the sixth, one out. The Nats were down 8-7. Bergmann induced two consecutive shallow flyouts, and Florida stranded three on base.

* Jorge Sosa, pitching multiple innings for the second consecutive day, recorded the final five outs for the Nats, who used six relievers on the day.

By Chico Harlan  |  August 6, 2009; 5:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hernandez Traded Back To Mets For Minor Leaguer
Next: Reading Material, and an Interview With Drew Storen

Comments

total team effort. inspiring win.

Posted by: longterm | August 6, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

They're juiced. Hope it can continue through August. They don't need to deal with Boras for a 3rd straight year.

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

WOOHOO! Go NATS!

Posted by: rachel216 | August 6, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for asking, Surly--yes, I did. Amazing game. I have to go look up that fangraph thingie to see what the odds were against the Nats when Stammen was losing it. (He did NOT look good. Have to admire R-man for yanking him and taking a LONG chance on the bullpen).

===============================
hope you saw guzman score. NatsLady!

Posted by: surly_w | August 6, 2009 3:43 PM

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 6, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

BTW-- do we know why Gonzales (Marlins' manager) got ejected from the game? He got ejected while he was in the dugout...

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 6, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Not sure which was more shocking, Belliard stealing a base or Guzman walking.

Sec314

Posted by: arlingtontwb | August 6, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Lovin' it!! Only 5 games behind KC! Once doomed to history we might finish NOT in last place. Keep it up fellas!

Posted by: SaveOurTeam | August 6, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Just an amazing win. Couple of really gutsy recent appearances by Bergmann.

Posted by: Section220 | August 6, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Not sure which was more shocking, Belliard stealing a base or Guzman walking.

Sec314

Posted by: arlingtontwb | August 6, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

__

Or Josh Bard ATTEMPTING a steal; heck, the way he's running, ol' Matthew LeCroix could throw him out!

Posted by: cdstej | August 6, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

The next series vs. the Diamondbacks pits the two hottest teams in the majors.

Posted by: Brue | August 6, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Awesome, only 23.5 games out of wildcard race..sike. I only care they we are competitive and catch up to some bottom feeder teams. I dont much care for getting a first overall pick, I just wanna win.

Posted by: gatsu | August 6, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone hear Charlie Slowes call of the Zimmerman triple? Slowes is one of the best in the business.

Posted by: thegraneys | August 6, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Where has this guy Belliard BEEN all season? Oh, yeah, in the dugout. Thank you, Jim Riggleman, for giving a solid vet another chance.

I was in the "don't fire Manny" camp for a long time, but now I'm seeing the difference between an MLB manager and a guy who thinks his job is to teach youngsters how to be patient.

Posted by: MikeH0714 | August 6, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Well, when Uggla hit his double in the top of the 3rd inning, the Nats chances of winning dipped to 5.1%. Their chances improved slightly when the Nats got out of the third still down by only six runs, and dipped back to 5.1% when Ronny grounded into a DP to end the bottom of the 3rd.

After that, it was SMOOOOOOOTH SAILING to the win.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 6, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Friends-

I directed you to a blog post from a very snotty Marlins fan before the series, and said it was a good reason to root harder. A number of you apparently visited his site and laid it on him. His reaction to you is beautiful, and I want you to enjoy it:

I posted a response, acknowledging that they are a better team, but warning him of hubris. Today was sweet, and his outburst made it sweeter.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | August 6, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

thegraneys, yes I heard Slowes call on that hit while driving down I-95 to richmond, it made me hollar and fist shake all by myself, haha, Slowes is definitely one of the best, I'm only 26 but I grew up listening to him do the Bullets, he does a tremendous job of visualizing the action for the listener, i hope he stays for a long long time, do you remember his call on Nook Logan's baserunning error in the 9th inning several years ago?

Posted by: destewar | August 6, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

only 23.5 games behind in the wild card race..sike. All I care is that we win, catch up to some bottom feeder teams, I dont care bout the first pick. This is lot more fun!!

Posted by: gatsu | August 6, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Nats_Lady, I believe that Gonzalez was barking at the home plate ump from the dugout, in re. the strike zone.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 6, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Gonzales, rather.

The Logan call was classic, destewar.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 6, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Wow, talk about sour grapes. Some people just don't know how to lose. :))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

========================================

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | August 6, 2009 6:19 PM |

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 6, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Yes destewar, I recall that. "What was he doing, Where was he going, What was he thinking? Or something like that. He's great.

Posted by: thegraneys | August 6, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, 1a. Does he get thrown out of a lot of games? I know the manager is supposed to backup his players on calls, but what is the point of getting thrown out of a game arguing the strike zone when the opp. pitcher is in the process of WALKING your guy?? Or was he just frustated and lost his temper?

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 6, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

I think Gonzales' frustration may have related to the calls when his pitcher was on the mound earlier in the game.

In other news, interesting link from PHS. Seems that the Marlins fan may have tempted fate a bit (ha-HA!). Didn't want to lower myself to his level by posting in kind there but the mileage of others may vary, as always.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 6, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

I meant to the Marlin fan's level, to clarify.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 6, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Here's what I posted on that Fish fan blog:

Fish fan. How about “hey, you guys did a number on us but we’re still a better team”? You present yourself as a profane loser. How seriously would you take someone that wrote as bad as you?

Posted by: thegraneys | August 6, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, beating the fins off the Fish doesn't mean the Nats should stop trying to improve up the middle (I'm looking at you, Josh Bard, and, Ronnie--could you stand on your base when someone throws a ball at you?)

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 6, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

And wouldn't it be fun to send those Snakes back on a plane without a win?

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 6, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Great fun today, and great fun this series. 5 game streak. Keep it up boys! See you Saturday for the bobble.

Posted by: dand187 | August 6, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

I semi-quoted Euripides; "Whom the gods would destroy they first make hubristic."

Posted by: greggwiggins | August 6, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

gw: I hope you posted that! Show him some CLASS.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 6, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Forgive what I know sounds more than a little corny, but it's what I always hammered home to my kids as they were growing up and I believe it:

"Confidence is the unique emotion, the caretaker of all of the others. Without it, there is no chance to succeed; with it, there is little chance to fail."

'Wee sleekit cowrin' timorous beastie ...' Manny Acta.

So what do we have to do to surpass the O's this season?

Posted by: nova_g_man | August 6, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

FWIW
45-63 vs. 37-72 -- I make that 8.5 games, nova-g-man.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 6, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

"You've got to be cocky and arrogant, even when you're getting beat. That's the secret."

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 6, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

O's seem tailspinney lately; we can do this.

Posted by: nova_g_man | August 6, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Riggleman and the players deserve a lot of credit for their perseverance. AFter producing some really horrendous performances they seem to have righted themselves. The psychology of the game is truly fascinating. Reminds me of Dumbo, who thnks he can fly because the mouse tells him to hold the feather in his trunk. When he drops the feather he realizes, yeah, he's actually a genuine flying elephant. Looks like Riggleman might be the little mouse. If they play close to .500 ball from here on he deserves a shot a full time manager. Also think the July 31 trade deadline was a turning point. Now that the uncertainty is over and some roles have been clarified they seem to have something to prove. The Kearns/Dukes swap also seems to dovetail nicely with the steps to build the roster for the future. Would really like to have Chico or someone look into the situation with Kearns hand injury and how it may have affected him the last couple of years. It won't change anything but could provide some closure to this sad story.

Posted by: SackMan | August 6, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

AP is reporting that two Nats Harrisburg prospects have been suspended 50 games each for amphetamines.

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 6, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

All game references for the balance of the season are either AN or PN. Not before Noon and after Noon.

Before Nyjer and After Nyjer.

Posted by: nova_g_man | August 6, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Ok, Halfstreet, and thanks. I went over and paid him the compliment of our attention, too.
See, when you're getting beat all the time, you can't have a rivalry. Wait til next year.

"Jimmy--it's on."

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 6, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Personally I feel that if you beat a team when no one gives you any chance of winning, let along sweep them, you are entitled to be a complete dick for at least 3 days.

I think that's a rule...or something.

Posted by: tedunni1 | August 6, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

WAY TO GO DUKES!! 3-for-4 with 4 RBI!

He could have been doing this for the past six weeks (he did this the whole second half of '08, so he'd already shown it to anyone willing to see). But better late than never, I suppose.

Mike Rizzo made two more curious moves today. Paying cash to the White Sox to acquire two veteran bench players (Daryle Ward and Norris Hopper). Don't get me wrong, I like both of those guys - Ward is a great PH and Hopper a nice defensive OF/PR (sort of what Morgan will be in a year or two). But these are the kind of moves you make to round out a *contending* roster. The Nats' recent nice run notwithstanding, this team is not going to be in the hunt for anything but 4th place next year. He should be concentrating on acquiring prospects for the future. If you've got open bench spots and at-bats to spread around, play your ready AAA guys to either see what you have in them or develop their trade value. Don't spend cash on guys who won't be helping us when the Nats are contending in 2011.

Oh well, maybe one of these days he'll finally look up and notice the standings. Until then, enjoy your nail-biting do-or-die reach for 60 wins, Mike.

Posted by: B2O2 | August 6, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Bad news: Had to work today.

Good news: Working from home.

Bad news: Couldn't watch the game while running stress tests on a new application.

Good news: Was able to watch the game summary pitch by pitch here while running the stress tests.

Gooder news: Signed off for the day at the end of the seventh inning.

Even gooder news: Saw the Marlins meltdown on TV.

Gooderest news of all: Section 115, row J Saturday (bobblehead night).

[Bull Durham]
...for one extraordinary June and July, the Durham Bulls began playing baseball with joy and verve and poetry. We swept a four game series with Kingston, back to back doubleheaders with Winston-Salem, and kicked the tar out of Greensboro in a three game series...
[/Bull Durham]

I think "joy and verve and poetry" are all playing center field for the Nats these days.

Posted by: gilbertbp | August 6, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

"But these are the kind of moves you make to round out a *contending* roster. The Nats' recent nice run notwithstanding, this team is not going to be in the hunt for anything but 4th place next year."

SYRACUSE == contending. The Nats just grabbed Dukes and Padilla both starting outfielders on that roster. These guys are not on the 40-man, while Maxwell and Desmond are likely to come up when the rosters expand? Rizzo over the past 2 months has seemingly promoted an entire relief staff from AA. Williams and Ramirez (both born in 1979) are the two oldest pitchers and (I guess non-prospects) on the roster. So, the rest are basically close-to-the-edge prospects or prospects. Ward is playing tonight. Vento another vet picked up to fill out the roster is DH'ing.

I guess he decided to leave the outfields and starting lineups pretty much intact in Harrisburg and below; pitching-wise I guess he made room for the guys he drafted out of college who were ready to jump to A and advanced A.

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

When Strasburg and Karns are signed (hopefully they are signed ... ) I am certain you will see more minor league moves pitching-wise.

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Still floating on air here. Let's hope my clients forgive me...

Posted by: Hendo1 | August 6, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Do Espinosa and Valdez go to Harrisburg to finish out the season, now that an AA SS and an OF have been suspended there?

Ozzie Rodriguez report from Potomac:
2.38 ERA, 11 IP, 10K

Last two outings, 4IP, 2H, 0 R, 6K, 5GO.

Posted by: nova_g_man | August 6, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

A 3-game sweep against the hated Marlins, overcoming 4-0 and 6-0 leads in two of the games. How sweet it is! Hope this series ends up knocking the Marlins out of the wild card race. Go Nats!

Posted by: UnionStation | August 6, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Gotta say, as impressive as this comeback win was, I was really impressed at Guz for taking the walk that the team needed in the 8th instead if trying to swing away and extend his hitting streak.

It's one of the characteristics that seemed to be lacking earlier this year; the ability to adjust one's at bat to what the team needed in the situation.

Can't tell you (well, of course, you all know) how frustrating it was to see how often they'd put men in scoring position with one out and leave them there. I noticed the difference during the Cubs series, even before the team started to translate it into wins.

Posted by: PetworthDC | August 6, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Does this type of thing affect their promotion prospects? Or is it just, well, they "paid their debt to society" and on we go?

If it was me (which it ain't) I would look with a very dubious eyes at this pair, because that would be just NOT what we would want in the middle of a good season if we brought them up.
==============================

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 6, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, that wasn't clear. Was referring to this:

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 6, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

I am SO tempted to re-watch the game (in the condensed version) so I can see what I missed while I was emulating Willie Harris (that is, Dukes' homer...). I mean, it's been a FUN three days, and I was at two of the games--SO FUN!

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 6, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Re: Ward and the other guy and cash...
We're not staying with an engorged bullpen past Monday. I bet Morse is coming up for IF depth, so they need to replenish the roster at AAA. Same with Padilla. These are not moves that affect the 40 man roster, so no big deal. And if the Lerners are sending CASH, that can't be bad, right?

Let's kill some snakes tomorrow and keep this magic carpet ride going.

Jimmy, IT'S AWWWN!

Posted by: cdstej | August 6, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

If I understand Danger Man correctly, he's saying they *could* contend for better than fourth place next year, and with some luck and judicious moves, I agree. OK, a lot of luck, all good. But still.
They need a legit closer, a deeper bench, and at least one more starter as good as Lannan, which ain't going to be Strasburg (yet--maybe 2011 or 2012). They need to stay healthy, and they need Willingham and Guzman (who is the ss next year--get used to it. You might trade a guy like him, but you don't bench him.) to actually hit this well normally, really (fwiw, I think this is not a fluke). They need Dukes to get it together. And did I mention a deeper bench?
If they play even .500 baseball next year, against somebody besides the Pirates, then that's contending for the wild card. Not winning it, maybe, but contending.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 6, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

The D-Backs will be ready, trust me they don't want to suffer the same fate as the fish so i know Riggs will have the Nats ready, starting pitching is a concern other than Lannan and JZimm, who else? this is why sending Martis down made no sense WHAT? Mock,Stammen,and Martin have been better? wait, let me answer that for you HELL TO THE NO! this was a big mistake by Rizzo and it hasn't helped Sharion not one bit in my opinion,Martis should be recalled asap given what i've seen from the three pyromaniacs metioned earlier, Martis deserves to be back in the Nats starting rotation.

Posted by: dargregmag | August 6, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Nats! Way to go fellas!!

Posted by: inthestreetindustry | August 6, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

"Martis deserves to be back in the Nats starting rotation."

Syracuse happens to be in a pennant race, the team at this point has 57 wins. A big part of the reason belongs to JD Martin and Jorge Padilla currently on the roster.

IN Syracuse:

Martin: 8 wins 3 losses: 2.66 ERA 88 innings, 4 home runs, 10 walks, 75 hits, 0.97 WHIP.

There is something to be said for leadership, and "grit"? Noting that with the addition gus like Martin and Morgan and the subtraction of guys like Martis and Detwiler the Nats are winning ... whereas before they were getting creamed.

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes the "intangibles" can be more important than the stats.

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

"Yeah, well ... sometimes 'nothing' can be a real cool hand."

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 6, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Well pardon the hell out of me periculum but they were getting creamed because the bullpen was in a word lousy,confidence was lacking in every aspect and the manager was a clueless goofball who should have been sent packing at the end of the 08 season.Shairon Martis was 5-0 at one point and the only pitcher getting it done on this team yeah he hit a couple of rough spots to be sure but he did not desreve to be sent down and Mock,Martin, and Stammen have been inconsistent at best, yes they performed well at the triple A level but since being called up not so much.

Posted by: dargregmag | August 6, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: greggwiggins | August 6, 2009 6:58 PM

---------------

gw: I hope you posted that! Show him some CLASS.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 6, 2009 6:59 PM

--------------

I did, Nats_Lady, I did. Scroll down to the seventh comment at:

Posted by: greggwiggins | August 6, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

S. Martis: 5 wins 3 losses, 83 innings, 85 hits, 11 home runs, 39 walks and 34 strikeouts.

Martis is very, very young, like Detwiler. Most of the "prospects" his age for the Nats are in "A" or High "A". He has done extremely well, but both he and Detwiler were "rushed" to the majors by Bowden. And that was a mistake. Looking at their minor league stats in Syracuse. Detwiler was born in 1986, Martis in 1987.

Martis is definitely a find, no one doubts that. But he needs time to mature ... without that time he could become yet another failure like say Ben McDonald.

Rizzo knows what he is doing. Let him do his job.

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Great game. I'm just happy that Nick is still the Jinx and not me. I was starting to wonder when it was 6-0.

Gotta love that Marlin-idiot's blog. I was on there after win 1 and win 2, twisting the needle.

I'll be back at the Park for bobblehead night!

Go Nats!
Squash the snake!

Posted by: alm1000 | August 6, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Halfstreet, thanks again. It just does my laugh lines good to read that stuff. And apparently, our own high- and low-brow sparring in here is paying off. Pwned dat kitteh, but gud.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 6, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and anyone going tomorrow night: the sofa will be 10-7, I'll be in sec. 139, right above the Nats' pen. If you see someone in a red alt jersey, with a black glove, that'll be me.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 6, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

The Most Interesting Man In The World, on tweeting:

"No."

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 6, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Balester a 1986 "prospect" ... looks like he may end up doing the best of all ... even with his own blog ... go Bally GO! Make Syracuse proud.

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm 16 comments down ... "peter pan"

Posted by: periculum | August 6, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Even after he started behind 0-2. Guzman ['s face was transformed by a heavenly light, a star shone in the east, and, transfixed, he took four pitches for a miraculous walk so that he]later scored the go-ahead run, helped by a Nyjer Morgan bunt and a Belliard single. [reportage added]

Posted by: flynnie2 | August 6, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

What a great series...Riggleman has done a great job getting the team on the right track!! Really fun to watch these days...Offense was on the ball today and
Kudos to Bergie...he was key to keeping the Nats in this game...

Posted by: natsanuff1 | August 7, 2009 12:30 AM | Report abuse

>Martis: 3 wins 1 loss: 5.23 ERA 31 innings, 4 home runs 8 walks, 44 hits, WHIP 1.65.

It's all about next year. He has to find a way around his lack of velocity. He has two superior pitches - actually three - two different speed changeups and an excellent 12/6 curveball. His fastball is too flat because he drops his arm slot. When he gets on top, he's got a lot better chance, both with his breaking ball and hard stuff.

Posted by: Brue | August 7, 2009 12:32 AM | Report abuse

OK, now that the 5 gamer has been celebrated, shall we begin the Belliard Bash, so I can put the hex on da D backs and lock in a 6 game curly W streak.

Posted by: cokedispatch | August 7, 2009 12:34 AM | Report abuse

I hate the name of team coming in, because they stole it from my college paper: the UMd Diamondback. But,hey, when I worked there, we liked to call ourselves the DBK -- made us sound like a frat, which in reality we were.

Posted by: nats24 | August 7, 2009 1:15 AM | Report abuse

mariners and nats rally for riggleman.

Posted by: nova_g_man | August 7, 2009 1:20 AM | Report abuse

nova_g_man, corn can be sweet, and thanks for the link.

Posted by: nats24 | August 7, 2009 1:51 AM | Report abuse

Not only that, but Ward was dealt for a minor league starting pitcher in August a couple of years ago ... who's to say it might not happen again?
I, for one, like the way Rizzo is doing his business.

Posted by: mjhoya12 | August 7, 2009 1:51 AM | Report abuse

A Scott Boras success story:

"(rMatt Harrington) rejected the Rockies' offer of $4.9 million, refused to sign a contract, and waited for the next draft. Meanwhile the inactivity caused him to lose speed and effectiveness in his once-prized fastball. The San Diego Padres, the next team to draft him, were aware of this and offered him barely $1 million, which was also rejected. Harrington was drafted three more times, each year slipping further down the draft board and offered substantially less money than the previous year. He played on various independent league baseball teams the whole time, and had a tryout with the Chicago Cubs in 2007 after he finally fell off the draft board, but was quickly released. He retired later that year and now installs tires in a Costco in Texas for $11.50 per hour."

Posted by: nova_g_man | August 7, 2009 3:00 AM | Report abuse

Chico, where do the Strasburg negotiations, if any, stand? Tim Brown of Yahoo is the latest national sports scribe to predict Strasburg will not sign with the Nats (i.e. sit out a year, or 2, or 3, until he gets picked by a team of his spoiled choice (on the West Coast)...

Posted by: mx_heinrich | August 7, 2009 6:35 AM | Report abuse

Re. the Marlins blog, if Nats Fan First Base Side is on here, thank you for representing Nats fans with an intelligent and reasoned response over there.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 7, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

"A Scott Boras success story: (Matt Harrington) rejected the Rockies' offer of $4.9 million, refused to sign ..."

Tommy Tanzer was Harrington's agent. Boras only came in after most of the damage was done.

Posted by: Watson1 | August 7, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I say let Starsburg and Boras just walk away. I'm tired of Boras's way of doing business, $50 million for a pitcher who has never thrown one ball in the MLB and could get hurt two days after and never be the same again? No way.
I would rather see that money invested in some other prospects or other free agents that have proven themselves.
As for the marlins blog, that guy is hilarious!

Posted by: Elbaryn | August 7, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Great fun -- thanks for bringing the FL blog to our attention.

If a fan's character is revealed in a trying season such as this, many here have passed. Let's grant that many in south FL could pass as well, but what a kick to see a blogger melt down over just one trying series. I'll take whatever smiles I can get this season.
----------------------

Posted by: KenNat | August 7, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

wow...they are actually winning.....what is this......for once they might sweep a team in a series.....the nationals need an outfield.....IM CHOOSING THE NATIONALS

Posted by: stoptheluftwaffeifyoucan | August 7, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Riggleman and some recent trades have truly inspired the Nationals. I am pleased to see Riggleman argue calls and pleased to see his attention to matchups. There is a reason that the Nationals are playing .500 baseball under him...

Posted by: derbyparty007 | August 7, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse