Nats Call Up Pete Orr

Sorry for not posting this earlier. I just arrived at Busch. With Nyjer Morgan now on the DL, the Nats on Friday added utility infielder Pete Orr to the 40-man roster and promoted him from Class AAA Syracuse. As part of the roundabout of roster moves, the Nats placed Morgan on the 15-day DL and transferred pitcher Jordan Zimmermann to the 60-day DL.

Orr had been hitting .245 with 13 doubles and nine homers in 120 games with the Chiefs. He is 30 years old, and was of course with the Nats for a period last season. I can't say I saw this move coming; I would have predicted a natural outfielder. But I suppose this move turns Willie Harris into a full-time outfielder and adds to Washington's infield depth. Then again, wasn't Mike Morse supposed to help with that?

I'll talk to Mike Rizzo down in the clubhouse to get his thoughts.

By Chico Harlan  |  August 28, 2009; 4:42 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: More on Drew Storen
Next: The Bench, the Lineups

Comments

Pete Orr?!? Of course!

Posted by: 1stBaseCoach | August 28, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I knew his brother, Either.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 28, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

from before:
There's a reason for that, mark. For one thing, Morgan produces. For another, Morgan produces. And besides that, Morgan is playing aggressively at the limits of his ability, and we get the distinct impression he knows what he's doing, and what risks he's taking. Milledge, not so much.

*****************
I like Morgan a lot, and I'm sorry he's hurt, but I wonder if the supportive response would be the same if Milledge had the same issues and had responded "I slide in a way that causes me constantly to be in danger of being tagged out for oversliding, and that risks injury to my hands, and that's just how I am, so leave me alone."
Posted by: markfromark | August 28, 2009 3:02 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 28, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 28, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

The only thing that makes sense to me is that they're trying to shop Orr for a trade. He can't possibly be part of "The Plan."

Why not Desmond or Maxwell? Or even Bynum

Sec314

Posted by: arlingtontwb | August 28, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Dang, you were a little too fast for me there, sec3.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 28, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

So here's hoping the better food and hotels, never handling his own luggage, hitting *white* balls for batting practice, and other perqs of The Show, brings back the hitter in Pete Orr.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 28, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

you know the secret to good comedy?

timing.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 28, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

gotta deliver that with only a half-beat between Q and A...

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 28, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

LOL! I do know how to get to Carnegie Hall.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 28, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like another AAAA guy to me? Eh?

Seems like Norris Hopper was the natural replacement, the guy can hit and field both at the AAA and major league level. He just doesn't have that left handed bat.

The left handed bats are what make Orr and/or Harris different from say a Morse or Padilla?

My guess at this point, given Willie Harris inability to get on base ... making him a very poor choice for lead off hitter.

Alternating Dukes, Padilla and Harris. Padilla was the Syracuse lead-off guy for most of the season.

Posted by: periculum | August 28, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: peytondowdy | August 28, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I went to school with Orel Hersheiser's brother, Anel.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 28, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Chicago joke:
"Say, does this bus go to da Loop?"
"No, dis bus goes 'beep beep'."

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 28, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

thank you, thank you.

I'm here all week.

Try the barbeque.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 28, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Justin Maxwell was too obvious a choice to get called up (ha ha).

Pete Orr gives you a good option as a pinch hitter from the Left Side to compliment Morse from the Right Side.

Lefty CF Willie Harris replaces Lefty CF Nyjer Morgan and is replaced by Lefty bat Pete Orr to replace Lefty bat on the bench Willie Harris.

Yep, follow that logic!!!!

Posted by: dmacman88 | August 28, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

With Orr, maybe they don't want to disrupt Columbus's run at an IL wild card slot. Recall last year they said they liked to have potomac in the post season to give the players the competitiveness.

They made a decision that Willie will play every day and whoever was being called up was not going to play. Once they made that call, I guess leaving Maxwell down was an obvious call. I don't see Desmond walking in an being capable of playing CF in the majors with so little time there this year.

Orr is the quintessential extra guy / replacement player. He will back up up the middle mainly along with A-Gon, and Morse will back up the corners along with Belli.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | August 28, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

"I'm wondering if this is a sign that they are going to try to move Belliard before Monday to a contender. Rizzo said he wasn't done dealing.

Posted by: peytondowdy | August 28, 2009"

Orr seems a complete waste of a roster spot given that with the call-ups they will probably bring up Ian Desmond. Meanwhile, Espinosa's bat keeps improving, slowly pushing into the shortstop picture next year.

As BinM and surly_w might say, he is not a part of the future, is a waste of a 40-man roster spot and won't even bin in the picture in Viera 2010. He is AAAA as best. So ... why?

Posted by: periculum | August 28, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Being the insightful guy that I am, I predict that Belliard is either about to be traded or is going to be out for a day or two after getting hit in the head yesterday. Orr gives them a backup secondbaseman. Also, they do not mind if Orr sits on the bench but recalling Maxwell and having him sit would be problematic.

Posted by: natbisquit | August 28, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Mike Morse the forgoten infielder. I guess he is not working out. Interesting to see who is playing 2nd tonight. Morgan going down gives a lot of hope to y'all who want that number 1 pick for the 2010 draft.

Sec 204 Row H Seat 7

Posted by: adhardwick | August 28, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Pete Orr would have been my choice, now if you believe that bull s___t,i've got some dry land right outside of New Orleans to sell you, please pardon my french!

Posted by: dargregmag | August 28, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

I think Mike Morse would be the natural replacement for Zimmerman should he go down. He has the bat even if his fielding might be questionable.

You don't replace a Zim with a Super Willie or a Belliard. Morse is not a Zimmerman who usually places in the top 10 of power rankings. But again he does have a bat.

Orr may be just another left-handed bat to replace the one lost in Morgan's.

Posted by: periculum | August 28, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

@periculum

DFAing Orr has no risks, nada. Nobody is going to claim him, and he's going to report. It's not a waste of 40 man space. It delays making their decision on who to bring up later.

There are various reasons why not to bring up the many people you have mentioned:
1) SYR is in contention for post season. The MLB club is not.
2) Sure, some of the ones you mentioned may be better than Orr, but they are not ready to be MLB players either. No reason to expose them to shellacking. As for Orr, if he comes up and hits 0-fer, do you really care? (other than the 0-fer) It's not as if his development is stunted because of it.
3) Development should be done at the AAA or AA level. You should not throw developing players to the sharks.

Posted by: swang30 | August 28, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

if the nats had asked me who should be called up to replace morgan, i would have bypassed orr and promoted FREDDIE bynum from harrisburg. he hits leftnaded, has major league experience at the middle IF positions and has played all three OF positions. he's a poor man's super willie.

Posted by: surly_w | August 28, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

There has to be more to this Orr promotion.

A Belliard trade could partly explain it, I guess, but not really.

Orr has had a strange last 3 years, contract-wise.

Nov. 2007: DFA’d by the Braves, then released a week later.
Dec. 2007: Signed as FA by Nats (minor league contract)
June 2008: Nats purchased his minor league contract, promoted him.
Oct. 2008: DFA’d by Nats? Refused to go to AAA? Became a FA?
Nov. 2008: Nats signed him as FA (minor league contract).

There is a 2009 $600,000 major league contract listed here as well.

If there is such an ML contract, is there also a minor league one to be purchased?

His ML service was 3.058 thru 2008, so he was eligible for arbitration when?

Also, why do we even want the guy at all? To get some value for the $600,000? Or (Orr) is that a mistake, and there was no $600,000 contract?

Surely he won’t be offered a contract for 2010.

It’s a puzzle.

Posted by: nova_g_man | August 28, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

"4) Many of the ones you cite have never been successful at the MLB level. Just because they have good minor league numbers doesn't mean all that much.

Posted by: swang30 | August 28, 2009"

This is entirely different for say, a Jorge Padilla, JD Martin, and/or a Seth Bynum (a Nats draft pick).

Norris Hopper was wildly successful, to some extent even more so than Morgan before he fell to a severe injury as Morgan has. The same is true for Morse bat-wise.

So, your argument seems implausible in this case. These are not rookies.

On the other hand Pete Orr was not successful at the major league level period.

Posted by: periculum | August 28, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

As BinM would put it, Pete Orr is the guy who should get his "cup of coffee" in the majors and be on his way after the September 1st call-ups.

Posted by: periculum | August 28, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure I'd overanalyze the Pete Orr move. I assume some other folks will be on board after Sep. 1 who can play OF.

Should we buy sec3 a new joke book?

Decisions, decisions.

Posted by: baltova1 | August 28, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Prolly, the only way Syracuse gets in to postseason is to beat Scranton-WilkesBarre. It doesn't look like that is going to happen mostly because the lost Morse, Padilla and to an extent: Dukes.

They should all be available come September 1st.

Posted by: periculum | August 28, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

is orr going to fight listach for no. 4?

Posted by: surly_w | August 28, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

"I do wonder if anyone will be dealt over the weekend? Any interest in MacDougal? Should they trade him if there is?"

As always it depends. Depends on who they get in return.

Posted by: periculum | August 28, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

No, don't deal MacDougal. He was flunking out with other clubs and has found the coaching/city/team/situation that is making him successful. Same with the Nats after trying SEVERAL other pitchers in the closers' role.

To trade MacDougal leaves us without a closer and him with another chance to fail. Whatever is going on, it's working, stick with it. My opinion.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 28, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

First Rizzo headscratcher from my perspective. Pete Orr? Really?

Posted by: HenryStin | August 28, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Pete Orr sucks. Period. This move sends absolutely the wrong message to everyone concerned. A bad move on Rizzo's part.

Posted by: periculum | August 28, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

From the "where are they now" department, the AZ Republic reports:

"The Diamondbacks have traded reliever Jon Rauch to the Minnesota Twins for a player to be named.

"Rauch, 30, was 2-2 with 2 saves and a 4.14 ERA in 58 games this season.

"Rauch, who was acquired by the Diamondbacks from the Washington Nationals on July 22 [sic], was 2-8 with 3 saves and a 4.87 ERA in 84 games with Arizona.

"In seven seasons, Rauch is 26-25 with 26 saves and a 3.87 ERA in 339 games for the White Sox (2002, 2004), Expos (2004), Nationals (2005-2008) and Diamondbacks (2008-2009)."

Posted by: TomServo | August 28, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

surly_w's suggestion makes sense. Freddie Bynum can at least play shortstop. Perhaps better than AG along with bringing a left-handed bat.

Posted by: periculum | August 28, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Periculum,

With 3 days until expanded rosters it really doesn't matter when or who they call up. They can bring up Maxwell on Tuesday. There is no rush and no pennant race to worry about. Use September as a really outstanding evaluation period.

Posted by: WashOut | August 28, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

MacDougal sucked. He had a 12+ ERA when he was released by the White Sox and he couldn't get his slider to work (still can't). Nyjer was languishing in Steeltown. Everyone was screaming "TRADE WILLIE" and Rizzo didn't.

So, I don't know what Rizzo sees in Orr, I don't know what he's thinking or planning. But I sure am willing to give him a chance (Rizzo and Orr).

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 28, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Periculum,

Are you confusing Freddie Bynum with Seth Bynum. Lets not get crazy. Seth doesn't belong but Freddie really doesn't belong. At least Pete Orr has decent MLB experience. He won't be here long anyway.

Posted by: WashOut | August 28, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

pete orr = roster filler till 9/1.

Posted by: surly_w | August 28, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

In fact, as I think about it, with Kearns on the DL, we don't have ANY totally unproductive position players on the 25-man, and only Sosa is consistently flaming out in the bullpen. Not saying it's a perfect team, but Rizzo has been pruning away the deadwood, slowly but surely.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 28, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

"With 3 days until expanded rosters it really doesn't matter when or who they call up."

I know its a pipe dream ... okay? But I really like to win this series and carry it into what looks to be a tough September. I'm not a fan of the lose-to-get-Bryce-Harper[5 years to the majors of that].

Posted by: periculum | August 28, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Dmitri Young finally off of the 40-man only to be supplanted by Pete Orr? Sheesh.

Posted by: periculum | August 28, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

The shock and indignation on his callup is kinda weird. It's not like Rizzo just signed him to a huge free agent contract or anything. They called the guy up a few days before expanded rosters. What's the big deal?

It's not like anyone else is going to live up to Morgan anyway.

Posted by: NatsNut | August 28, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

"Orr's a bit of a surprise, but I like the guy. He played hard and played several positions last year. "

A big reason for the anemic offense and losing 100 games plus.

Posted by: periculum | August 28, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Orr on the bench or even at 2b for 3 days just isn't a problem. He is a AAAA player, not arguing the point, but as roster filler for a couple days he'll do. Worried about taking at bats from AG? I'm not.

Remember what a positive difference Nyjer made when he came? Unfortunately he's going to make the same amount of difference, but negative, by leaving. The Nats just don't have strong options for CF or middle infield in the system. Maybe some of the guys will develop over time, but none of them have proven to be ready now.

Posted by: utec | August 28, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

St. Louis is a tough, tough team ... not sure Orr makes sense this weekend. But I guess Riggleman must have asked for him.

Posted by: priestholmes | August 28, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: priestholmes | August 28, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

@markfromark,
that's actually a good point you made about milledge vs. morgan. On paper you could easily say the two are very similar. a little cocky, a little show-boaty, loves attention, a little stubborn saying crap like "that's just my way."

And I don't even think the difference between them is even solely the production factor, though that's a big difference.

It's something else a little more subtle that really speaks to Rizzo's instinctive eye for players. Morgan's simply got a more positive, playful, energetic and teamwork-type "aura" around him that makes almost the same kind of actions "feel" more, well, positive, playful and energetic.

Posted by: NatsNut | August 28, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

A big reason for the anemic offense and losing 100 games plus.

Posted by: periculum

***************

Oh, 2008 was ORR'S fault. Right.

Posted by: NatsNut | August 28, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

"Oh, 2008 was ORR'S fault. Right.

Posted by: NatsNut | August 28, 2009"

In 2009 he has hindered Syracuse in the middle of the lineup. He hasn't produced. The same was true last year. Who would you prefer Dunn or Orr? Both bat left handed. That's what SYR was stuck with after Morse et al were promoted. Last year the Nats were stuck with that too.

Go figure ...

Posted by: periculum | August 28, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

A Pete Orr debate.

Pretty high on the list of things I didn't expect to see this afternoon/week/month/year, etc...

Think of all the little pixels you're killing doing this. Shameful.

Posted by: baltova1 | August 28, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

"Milledge just seemed dense and selfish and stubborn. It's just a sense you get from watching them.

Posted by: NatsNut | August 28, 2009"

Milledge is also very, very young which is why Pittsburgh took a flyer on him. Whereas Morgan is pushing 30. If he matures in 1 or 2 years he still has many more productive years than Morgan.

Posted by: periculum | August 28, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

"Who would you prefer Dunn or Orr?"

Dude. That's a silly argument. I don't have to choose between Dunn and Orr. We're talking about Orr over Maxwell or Casto or whoever. And they could potentially be up in a couple days anyway.

I agree it's a little odd, but no need to get all worked up about it.

Posted by: NatsNut | August 28, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Milledge is also very, very young which is why Pittsburgh took a flyer on him.

Posted by: periculum

*************

I wouldn't say very, very. Well maybe mentally, yea. But he wasn't that young in professional ball-type years. By that I mean he's been a pro ball player for something like 6 or 7 years and still hadn't learned that he still needed to learn.

Still, you're right. That is why Pittsburgh probably took a chance on him.

Suckers.

Posted by: NatsNut | August 28, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

"We're talking about Orr over ..."

LAST year 2008 the Nats were using an Orr instead of a Dunn. And they had pretty fair pitching in the beginning of the year compared to this year.

Why do you think they lost? It couldn't have been the offense could it? Doh?

"Its the economy, stupid." - Billy Clinton

Posted by: periculum | August 28, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Woah, you can't compare Dunn to Orr and then say that Orr is a nobody because he's not as good as Dunn. If you're going to make that comparison, you might as well jettison a whole bunch of people. The Orr move makes the least impact on SYR and MLB. There's no need to blow up SYR and expose those players before they're ready.

As for the players you cite:
Seth Bynum - never been at MLB. Are you sure you're talking about the right Seth Bynum?

Posted by: swang30 | August 28, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

They most certainly did not "use Orr instead of Dunn."

I don't have the totals anymore, but last year I did a count of how many people were used in all the lineup positions and let me tell you, they paraded a whole slew of cast members all up and down that lineup.

"It was the injuries, stupid"

Posted by: NatsNut | August 28, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

"Jorge Padilla - Dude, he was 1 for 13 when he got up here last time. What makes you think he'll be any better this time?"

Uhhh dude? Check your records. HE JUST GOT HERE. THIS IS his first stint in the majors. Not you, nor anyone else really knows what he will do because he really hasn't be used except as a pinch hitter ... he may have started 1 game. Sheesh.

Posted by: periculum | August 28, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Why is Luke Montz on the 40-man? His .170 BA? His 'brutal' catching skills?

Derek Norris has 26 or 28 passed balls?

Bard is scheduled to make three million. I don't think we should pay that for him.

Speaking of the millions, McDougal is up for a 3.5 million or so option. Is he worth it? Hmmm. Tough call. I wish he had a second pitch. There is a buyout of some amount, not sure how much.

Posted by: nova_g_man | August 28, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

"Norris Hopper - Hasn't played at the MLB level in over a year. And in 26 games last year, he hit at the Menodza line. Sure, he's doing well in AAA, leave him there until Spring. Why the rush?"

Uhhh Dude, he's the same age as Morgan. The only reason he isn't in the majors and why he hit the "Mendoza line" last year was HE WAS RECOVERING! From surgery. Gee, I feel bad for Nyjer Morgan are you going to ream him if he doesn't hit "above the Mendoza line" when he is rehabbing.

Please check your facts before you flame.

Posted by: periculum | August 28, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

"JD Martin - "Successful" is in the eyes of the beholder. He didn't do all that well. I'd hardly call being sent down before Balester a ringing endorsement of his abilities."

Uhhh dude, knock knock, McFly? He has been more successful, so far, than any other starting pitcher other than Lannan and Jordan Zimmerman. None should then be "endorsed" for their abilities. Noting that Balester and not Martin got sent down.

Posted by: periculum | August 28, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Then need Montz. He'll surely get called up. Bard's hamstring isn't getting any better.

Posted by: periculum | August 28, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

I second that emotion.

(Ohhhh, nooooo!) Sorry, little pixels.

---

A Pete Orr debate.

Think of all the little pixels you're killing doing this. Shameful.

Posted by: baltova1 | August 28, 2009 6:30 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 28, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

A Pete Orr debate.

Think of all the little pixels you're killing doing this. Shameful.

Posted by: baltova1 | August 28, 2009 6:30 PM
-------------------------
Exactly, baltova1.

I can see that periculum has gotten himself into a couple of scrapes this afternoon regarding the promotion - as both dmac & jca pointed to earlier, Orr is a stop-gap for Harris in the IF, and Harris is the stop-gap for Morgan in CF. Depending on off-days & opposing pitchers, Dukes might see a game or two in CF, allowing Padilla some field time.

I'm a little suprised that Riggleman hasn't given Morse some time at 1B, and has gone with Belliard as a defensive replacement for Dunn; Is Morse's footwork at 1B that bad?

Posted by: BinM | August 28, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Pete Orr, who whata tought!

Looks like everyone is in rare form tonight!

Posted by: TippyCanoe | August 28, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Soooo, who's psyched for the Smoltz/Lannan rematch? Could be fodder for a new MASN commercial...

Even better, Wainwright will start for the Cards on Sunday, which means that my hubby will likely get to hear me do my impression of Mary Hatch's mom: "You tell him to go right back home, and don't you leave the house, either. Sam Wainwright promised to call you from New York tonight."

Good times. Who needs Kerouac or Hemingway, anyway?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 28, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

LOL, 1a!!

my favorite quote was right after that:

"He's making violent love to me, mother!"

It's a Wonderful Life was a lot racier than you'd think for that era!

Posted by: NatsNut | August 28, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Good times. Who needs Kerouac or Hemingway, anyway?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 28, 2009 7:09 PM
-------------------------
Precicely - Why spend time re-reading some of the classics, when we can while away the hours reading multiple opinions on the merits of a 4A middle-infielder?

Posted by: BinM | August 28, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Score! From the St. Louis Post-Dispatch site:

CARDINALS

1. Lugo, 2B
2. Ryan, SS — with a nine-game hitting streak
3. Pujols, 1B
4. Holliday, LF — who spoke with coach Eddie Sutton for awhile before BP.
5. Ludwick, RF

5. Willingham, LF
6. Duke, RF
7. Bard, C
8. Gonzalez, 2B
9. Lannan, P

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 28, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

heehee, that's a good one, too, NatsNut.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 28, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

More intel from the Post-Dispatch (Derrick Goold):

To counter the Washington Nationals’ lefthanded starter, a mostly righthanded lineup will back veteran John Smoltz in his first start with the St. Louis Cardinals on home turf. Smoltz talked this past week about how he expects to get caught in the moment if the welcome from the Busch Stadium crowd in anything like he’s heard it is for a new player, like it was Matt Holliday most recently.

“The neat part of it,” manager Tony La Russa said moments ago, “is he’s a little nervous.”

Smoltz was limited to about 70 pitches or so in his first start for the Cardinals, a five-inning shutout of San Diego last weekend. La Russa said Smoltz will be available for longer tonight, but that the game and the stress of the innings will dictate when he comes out, not the pitch count. Smoltz could be ready to 90 or more pitches, La Russa agreed.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 28, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BinM

**********

LOL!

He started it.

Posted by: NatsNut | August 28, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Oops, the Post-Dispatch left Dukes' "s" off.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 28, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

@1a1: MLB.com has Orr at 2B (batting 2nd), and AGonz at SS (batting 8th).

Posted by: BinM | August 28, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Mike Rizzo just said on MASN that Orr was recalled because he mirrored Harris - lefthanded hitter who plays several positions. Rizzo also said Guzman is "day-to-day" and not in the lineup tonight.

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 28, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Justin Maxwell was too obvious a choice to get called up (ha ha).

Yep, follow that logic!!!!

Posted by: dmacman88 | August 28, 2009 5:01 PM |
))))))))))))))))))))))))

Mike Rizzo was just interviewed and said Pete Orr gives them the Lefty off of the bench.

Posted by: dmacman88 | August 28, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

@NN: I did not start it, I only authored the post-script. Besides, what else could I do after your "saucy" quote?

Posted by: BinM | August 28, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

wonder if guzman's feet are bothering him?

Posted by: surly_w | August 28, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Yes, BinM. They just noted it in the pregame show and I came up to post it. Chico also posted.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 28, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

@dmac: Winner, Winner - Chicken Dinner!!

Posted by: BinM | August 28, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

surly, yes, they mentioned Guze's bunion.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 28, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse