'Perfect-Perfect' Livo Wants to Be Back in 2010

Livan Hernandez loved the 2005 season. He led the National League in innings pitched, earned a trip to the All-Star Game, and carried the Washington Nationals into an August playoff chase. Hernandez said on Thursday that he has played for better teams but never for a more enjoyable one.

But 2005 inflicted a price. At least in Hernandez's eyes, the toll of the 2005 season -- where he pitched the final five months in constant pain, ignoring a right knee that required surgery -- has hindered his career since. Only this year is the durable right-hander finally "perfect-perfect," able to condition himself, take spinning classes, and go through the routine without knee aggravation.

"It took two, three years to recover," Hernandez said.

In a way, the decisions Hernandez made as a 30-year-old still resonate. Back with the Nationals, signing Tuesday, Hernandez wants to use this season's final month to prove his worthiness of a rotation spot in 2010, when he'll be 35. The Nationals will surely explore the free agent market this offseason, looking for a veteran starter, but Hernandez could be an option.

"That's what I want. I'd love to be here next year," Hernandez said. "It's something I've been waiting for, coming to DC, the last three years."

In 2005, Hernandez kept his injury private -- and his performance helped mask any problem. He never said at the time that he was getting fluid drained from his right knee every three starts. He never described the five-inch needle that dug into his knee, or the excruciating pain it caused. Hernandez finished 15-10, with a 3.98 ERA.

"[Then-general manager Jim] Bowden asked me to continue pitching like that, and we were in first place so I said, 'OK, I continue to pitch.'" Hernandez said. "My leg -- I got fluids taken out like seven times, and I pitched the whole year. I got 12 wins in the first half, 12-2, and the second half was bad. I continued to pitch and I don't want to miss the year, but it's tough. I go to the doctor for a scope. It was supposed to be a half hour, and it took one hour and 50 minutes. It was bad."

Perhaps Hernandez's performance would have dropped off no matter what. But either way, his October 2005 surgery marked a turning point. Between 2003 and 2005, Hernandez had a 3.60 ERA (103 starts) and a 1.29 WHIP. Between 2006 and 2008, he had a 5.23 ERA (98 starts) and a 1.58 WHIP.

Hernandez emphasized that he does not regret the decision to pitch through the knee pain.

"We were in first place," he said, shrugging. "I'd do anything. I like to pitch."

By Chico Harlan  |  August 27, 2009; 1:42 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lineups From Wrigley
Next: Morgan Out for Season With Broken Left Hand

Comments

This may incur wrath but there are a lot worse ideas out there. He will eat a lot of innings, rest the pen, show Mock and Stasburg how to fool people by changing speeds and also provide and a good clubhouse presence.

Not a lot of of talent, a good personality and he's smart. Goodness me, we just signed the anti-Dukes

Posted by: soundbloke | August 27, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I like Livan, but I'm baffled at why anyone would be longing to join this team for the last three years. The last two months, sure. But not the last three years. That sounds like a version of what you'd say to the last girl at the bar.

Posted by: ihatewalks | August 27, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Nice set of posts continuing the Livo love fest and the desire to play for the Nats.

The next topic could be? We have Brian Oliver's take on September call ups. What are Chico's and Boz's thoughts on the occasion?

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

== " when he'll be 35." ==

You forgot to put 35 in quotes, as in, really 40.

Posted by: VladiHondo | August 27, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Unlike FLop, Hernandez, Gonzo, Dukes et al, why not re-sign a guy who actually WANTS to play here? Livan has many, many assets -- not the least of which he can eat 200 innings. On a starting staff that has included the likes of D-Cab, Detweiler and Bally Star this awful season, that's not a bad thing. I say sign the guy for 2010. Remember this is a team whose opening day home starter was Daniel Cabrera. Perspective, people, perspective.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | August 27, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I like Livo. I just don't think he should be the first choice, as a veteran in 2010.

Maybe the Nats won't find anyone better, in which case it might make sense to bring him back on a incentive laden contract. I'd like to think we can find someone younger, healthier, and more effective in the off-season. For now though, it's a lot of fun to watch Livo. He's always been one of my favorites.

Posted by: grforbes | August 27, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I LOVE YOU, LIVAN!!!!! (mancrush)

Posted by: big_game_lannan | August 27, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ihatewalks | August 27, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse
-------------

Because our fans on NJ and in the local media are the most charitable?

Posted by: poncedeleroy | August 27, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

ihatewalks: "...That sounds like a version of what you'd say to the last girl at the bar."

Wins this post.

Posted by: gilbertbp | August 27, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Jim Bowden:Livan Hernandez::Bud Kilmer:Lance Harbor (Varsity Blues)

Posted by: BigTrain | August 27, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

And if the CIA did that to detainees they would call it "torture".

Here comes Nyjer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

=================================================================

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 27, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Livo aside, I mean come on. This is the last thing this team needs is to flirt with retreads and has beens. While we are at it how about contacting Sidney Pontoon, Pedro Astacio, Tony Armas Jr., Zach Day or maybe John Halama I'm sure they have all been waiting to come back to DC too!

LH looked great last night, if he can do that thru Sept then fine. Bring him back in ST and keep him until SS is ready for the "Show" in June. Otherwise go out and trade or sign someone who ain't 40 years old.

Posted by: TippyCanoe | August 27, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Morgan with a leadoff walk, and he's stolen his way to third base! We missed you!!!

Posted by: BGinVA | August 27, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

and Guz drives him home!

Posted by: BGinVA | August 27, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I love Nyjer Morgan!! I wonder if how close he is now to Michal Bourn in steals?? Let me check.

Posted by: rachel216 | August 27, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Michael Bourn has 46 stolen bases, Nyjer has 42 now.

Posted by: rachel216 | August 27, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Zimmy!!!! :)

Posted by: rachel216 | August 27, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Zimmeran with the homer!!!!

Posted by: BGinVA | August 27, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

YAHOOOO the offense is back ... 27 for Zim ... hope he makes 30 before the end of next week!

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

We need 15, go for it!

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 27, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Wells hasn't retired anyone yet. I hope JD is on his game today!!

Posted by: rachel216 | August 27, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Wells has already thrown 24 pitches and not a single out to show for it. Hammer Time!

Posted by: BGinVA | August 27, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Good at bat by Dukes ... thought he was going to work a walk out of the pitcher ...

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Hey, why not sign Livo AND another veteran starter? We've really suffered having five youngsters in the rotation for most of this year. Let these young guys, including Strasburg, develop their skills until they are really ready to pitch in the big leagues.

Posted by: Section222 | August 27, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

yeeeeehaw

How far did Zim's shot go? I'll try not to beg for details too much this game but I am watching via gameday.

Alrighty now JDM

Posted by: nattaboy | August 27, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Uh oh, what happened to Nyjer? Harris in center now according to Gameday.

Posted by: BobLHead | August 27, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm...Willie Harris replaces Morgan in CF. I guess Morgan has not fully recovred yet? Hopefully, it's nothing more serious than that...

Posted by: BGinVA | August 27, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

OK, people. Take care of this one for me. See yuz.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 27, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Martin better stop hitting people, he's gonna get thrown out..

Posted by: rachel216 | August 27, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Wow, JD Martin is trying to pitch like Livan?

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

He's trying to use the curve the way Livan does.

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

It's really cool that Livo likes it here. But why? And why hasn't anybody asked him?

Not that it's not a great place to play, but to say he's been wanting to come back for 3 years...

Posted by: nattaboy | August 27, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Oh no...Gameday says Morgan left the game due to an injured hand/wrist. Not good...

Posted by: BGinVA | August 27, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

According to Ladson Stammen will be juggled as well as Martin:

The Nationals are planning to monitor the innings of right-handers Craig Stammen and J.D. Martin. Once they reach a certain amount of innings, Stammen and Martin most likely will be shut down for the season

General manager Mike Rizzo did not say which pitchers would be called up, but it's assumed that right-hander Collin Balester and left-hander Ross Detwiler will be promoted to the big club and receive a few starts.

"I have a number in my mind of all of our starting pitchers. I'm taking into account number of innings, stressful innings and the number of innings in Triple-A or in the big leagues. We have a strict plan for each and every one of our pitchers. Once they reach their number, they will stop pitching."

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Carp reports that Morgan came out of the game because of a jammed hand, injured when he hit the bag on his second stolen base.

Posted by: Section222 | August 27, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I think its going to be Atilano and Estrada. They need to find out about them before rule 5 I guess? As opposed to Martis and Detwiler. For sure those 2 are staying and will be protected.

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

"I'd like to see the Nats sign the best starting pitcher available this offseason. I would we end up with somebody better than Livo, though signing him as well wouldn't hurt."

Be nice to pick up another left-hander as I don't think they will accept arbitration with Olsen.

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

This is why, from littlest league on up, every player should slide FEET first!!

----------------

Posted by: Section222 | August 27, 2009 2:50 PM

Posted by: greggwiggins | August 27, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

What's the delay?

Posted by: nattaboy | August 27, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Boy I think they need Maxwell to back up Nyjer sooner rather than later ... sure looks to me like he is a definite September call up.

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

"This is why, from littlest league on up, every player should slide FEET first!!

----------------"

Spoke didn't believe in that ... neither did Rose. :)

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

We'll be into their bullpen in no time - Wells already has thrown 50 pitches and it's still the second inning. We've got his number today...

Posted by: BGinVA | August 27, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Boy they are really working this guy ... 50 pitches and he hasn't even gotten through 2.

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Feet first is slower. Major league athletes should know how to go 100% and protect themselves from injury.

I'll trade Nyjer's steals for 1 or 2 days with a sore thumb.

Posted by: nattaboy | August 27, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Thumb, jammed ... isn't that how Kearns got screwed up starting in Cincinnati?

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't mean either one were correct, Peri.

------------

Spoke didn't believe in that ... neither did Rose. :)

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 2:55 PM

Posted by: greggwiggins | August 27, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Dunn #34!!!!!!!!

Posted by: rachel216 | August 27, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Dunn!!!

Posted by: BGinVA | August 27, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Dunn!!!!

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

ladies and gentlemen, please rise for the honorable Judge Wapner

Posted by: nattaboy | August 27, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

...who approaches the bench

Posted by: nattaboy | August 27, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Dukes looks like he doesn't want to play much once Sept 1 comes around!

Who was the savant that said today was the day for Dunn!

Let's play two!

Posted by: 1of9000 | August 27, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Periculum - Didn't I put on the lineup Post that Dunn was to hit one today!

Statistical reasoning. My next feat is winning the Mega Millions lottery
$325,000,000 !!!!!!!

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | August 27, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

JD's pitches average about 10+mph faster than Livan's. "Soft Toss" Chico? Sheesh.

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

JD's trying to use the curve ball to effect. Giving him 4 pitches if he can throw it for strikes. Ala' Livan.

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

"Statistical reasoning. My next feat is winning the Mega Millions lottery
$325,000,000 !!!!!!!

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | August 27, 2009"

Law of Attraction GoingGoingGone. I truly believe they will win big in September. I am doing my best to "attract" that to the Nats.

Mebbe it works for lottery!?

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Dunn's career average for HRs at Wrigley puts today as the day for him!

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | August 27, 2009 1:24 PM
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | August 27, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

cubs back in the game

Posted by: rachel216 | August 27, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

If JD sticks with the slider and 4-seam he is going to allow homers. He has to mix in that curve ball more.

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

That Lee walk had some serious bad mojo.

Posted by: hlaxness | August 27, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

JD's got 50 now. He is good for six if he can make it that far. He should try that curve ball some more ... get it working in the bullpen.

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

@rachel216

With out bullpen every team is in the game no matter what the score. They appear to have reverted to early season form again. Probably prompting a deep September call-up for relievers.

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Any Nyjer updates to how serious the hand/wrist/arm are?

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | August 27, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I think Justin Maxwell is the answer to global warming, world poverty, acne, inflation, and ingrown toenails. I just want to get in line ahead of periculum on this important matter.

Now, returning to the real world: Justin Maxwell is, at best, AAA.

Now, returning to our regularly scheduled fantasy programming...

Posted by: jdschulz50 | August 27, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

With all the outfielders, why in the world does this team keep Dukes with the ml club? He is truly a terrible fielder, maybe worse than Millege

Posted by: jjburns1 | August 27, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I will add to the what's wrong with N. Morgan questions.

Sec 204 Row H Seat 7

Posted by: adhardwick | August 27, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

JD is really struggling with his command today. Nats need him to get through 5. He's a control pitcher and the walks and hit batters are off.

Posted by: hoo93 | August 27, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

JJBurns1 - Are you kidding me? Dukes has a cannon for an arm and Milledge had a pellet gun.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | August 27, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Dukes is a great outfielder. He just needs to have his head in the game.

Posted by: rachel216 | August 27, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

"Now, returning to the real world: Justin Maxwell is, at best, AAA."

@jdschultz50. He probably makes a very good fielding back-up center fielder. Willie Davis does not.

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Sorry I meant Willie Harris.

Would you rather have someone under 30 who has some upside as a backup or someone who is way past his prime, with no arm, as a backup on this team? Even if he is good in the locker room?

In other words ... I trust Maxwell over Dukes and/or Harris in center field if Nyjer Morgan is out.

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

And gee I think Maxwell hits better than Bernadina.

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I take Bernadina over Maxwell because I see Bernadina with a higher OBP and a little faster and slightly better OF range.

If Maxwell can't hit a MLB curveball, it won't even matter. His last trip back to Washington wasn't a memorable one on the offensive side of the game.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | August 27, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

nice job Clippard

Posted by: rachel216 | August 27, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

bullpen reverting to form.

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

who are they bringing in?

Posted by: nattaboy | August 27, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I was hoping it'd be Burnett...

Posted by: nattaboy | August 27, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Rachael

And as he has been given plenty of opportunity to get his head in the game and, does not seem to feel it is a priority maybe we should get rid of him.

Posted by: soundbloke | August 27, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I support having Willie Harris back up the OF. I don't see much of a point for a young developing player not to play everyday and just sit on the bench. Let them develop where they need to, at AAA. That's what it's there for.

Same reasoning with pitchers. Sign Livo, another veteran, and let the Detwilers and Balesters of the team sit in AAA where they can get their confidence up, work on their game, and eventually be the good players that they might become. They surely aren't that right now...

Posted by: swang30 | August 27, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Is that technically scored as a caught stealing? or just a standard baserunning error?

Posted by: swang30 | August 27, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

And gee I think Maxwell hits better than Bernadina.

Posted by: periculum

That is such a low bar that even Mike Morse clears it. So would Langershlang.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | August 27, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

MacDougal: another guy from the 320 ball players surveyed who gets the least out of a lot of talent.

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Mac on for a five-out save. Ladies and gents, I'm breaking out the bourbon and Maalox early today. Ah, day games. Longer happy hours for all.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | August 27, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

"That is such a low bar that even Mike Morse clears it. So would Langershlang.

Posted by: jdschulz50 | August 27, 2009"

Morse "the Nats Clank" apparently can't field and doesn't have speed as Maxwell does. Langershlang the same.

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

AAA Syracuse's last game is Labor day, unless they can make up 3.5 games before then and secure the wild card.

So Maxwell, Bernadina, etc. would see more time via a callup.

Posted by: nattaboy | August 27, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Bernadina? He's rehabbing in the GCL. Interesting notion.

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Harris has had a superb game.

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

WALKS will kill you!!!

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Storen ... MacDougal and his "effective wildness" makes a good short-middle but they need Storen to get an effective closer.

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

The Nats never make it easy. Oh, doctor!

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 27, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Rack up another Curly W and a save for McDougal A barnburner, eh? Poor Cubbies!

Sec 204 Row H Seat 7

Posted by: adhardwick | August 27, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, Mike MacD.

Posted by: Section220 | August 27, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Taking Wrigley not since 2005-- how delightful, and yet dastardly.

Posted by: hlaxness | August 27, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Man, does not this game feel like July 2005.....it's dejavue all over again

Posted by: CBinDC1 | August 27, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Still 18 from the magic number ... phewwwww ...

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Quality start for JD Martin. Needs to get that curve or some other pitch working to get past 5-6.

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

peri

A split-finger fastball would probably help JD. He needs a pitch that breaks down in the strike zone. A four-seam sinking fastball could also be an option.

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 27, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 27, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

"Martin actually gave up three runs in five innings. He would have had to allow three or less in six for a quality start.

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 27, 2009"

Livan gave up 4 in six. Please explain how that is a quality start and this isn't? Thank you.

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

The Nats should sign Livo for next season. He'll be a reliable veteran who can give the team a lot of effective innings at a reasonable price and will set a good example for the team's young starters. Not to mention he wants to play here. A true No. 1 or No. 2 starter is going to want $8-10M per year minimum and won't want to come to a team that needs to add some parts to complete.

Posted by: wizfan89 | August 27, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 27, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

"Livan didn't have a quality start because baseball defines a quality start as giving up three or less runs in six complete innings.

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 27, 2009"

Agreed. Thank you. The starters ***all*** need to work on that.

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

It looked real bad when Nyjer jammed his fingers into the base... not good. Hope it's not as bad as it looked.

Posted by: rachel216 | August 27, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

peri

BTW - Congrats to JD. he didn't look long for the game after those two early HRs.

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 27, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Livo pitched 6 innings giving up 2 runs.

Posted by: sjt1455 | August 27, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Then Livo did have a QS. I didn't see last night's game.

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 27, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

My mistake sjt1455. Thought it was 4.

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Livo had 2 ERs in 6 innings. Where'd you get 4?

Posted by: swang30 | August 27, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

So, here we go on the big roller coaster ride ...

Its StL. Then a short reprieve against SD for 3 games. Then they get slammed all the way into October with contenders.

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

But, I guess the Mets aren't contending anymore though?

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Facebook Nats says Morgan is day-to-day.

Posted by: Juan-John | August 27, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Nats 46 wins, Royals 48 wins. Come on!!! No more last place!

Posted by: rachel216 | August 27, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

They just said on Nats Xtra that Morgan has broken hand :(

Posted by: rxs85 | August 27, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Livan had a quality start yesterday. He gave up only 2 runs in 6 innings as it was 2-2 until the 7th. I'm with the opinion that Hernandez is an OK option as the veteran pitcher, but I really would like someone who's still in his prime to aid the youngsters. If they can't get a guy like than and Livan holds up the rest of the season, then he becomes a viable option for us.

Posted by: curlyWfan | August 27, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

rxs85: yep - broken hand/thumb. 4 to 8 weeks...crushing. Hope Tony Plush makes a miracle recovery.

Posted by: McR-rich | August 27, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

rachel216

What the heck. Let's pass the AngelO's as well while we're at it.

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 27, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 27, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Need to let Nyjer sit and not reinjure that hand/wrist bring him back on Saturday. Cub fans gotta love Soriano for what is it 100 mil plus? man what a bargain the best team money can buy, NOT!!! LMAO!.

Posted by: dargregmag | August 27, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Wow that really blows for T.Plush who was having a career year. I guess its time to bring Maxwell back and see if he can hit a ML breaking ball. God speed Nyjer. Hope you get better soon.

Posted by: FloresFan | August 27, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Crud. Where, oh where, is the feet-first slide today?!

Posted by: Bethesdangit | August 27, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

sounds like morgan may be gone the rest of the way. this team just can't seem to catch a break - er, sorry nyger. maybe we'll get to see maxwell get some september play. or bernadina if his ankle allows.

Posted by: surly_w | August 27, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Bethesdangit

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 27, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

There goes the offense ... damned. You know its our own fault for acting so smug about Nick the Stick going on the IR for the Marlins.

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Naw, feet-first he would've broken his foot. That man is a TRYER!! Get well soon, Tony.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 27, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

"Blame new HOF'er Rickey Henderson for that hands-first slide. Everybody seems to do it despite potential for serious injuries to hands, fingers and wrists.

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 27, 2009"

Sliding the other way risks broken ankles, feet in major league ball. This ain't the little league.

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Per the MASN website:

Morgan out with broken hand
By Pete McElroy on August 27, 2009 5:41 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)
Center fielder Nyjer Morgan broke his left hand sliding head first into third base in the first inning against the Cubs this afternoon.

Morgan, acquired from the Pirates in a trade that also brought lefty Sean Burnett, left the game after scoring on Cristian Guzman's double in the first.

No word yet on how long Morgan will be lost, but it seems pretty clear that he may be lost for the remainder of the season.

Morgan was hitting .351 with 35 runs, a homer, 12 RBI and 24 stolen bases in 49 games with the Nationals.

Posted by: FloresFan | August 27, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

They just said on Nats Xtra that Morgan has broken hand :(

Posted by: rxs85

OMG!!!!!!!!!! UGHHHHHHHHH!!!! NOOOOOOOO!!! I KNEW it when I saw MASN replay it several times... he jammed it so hard I had a bad feeling. ;( Now we can't see him play until next year. :(

Posted by: rachel216 | August 27, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm really sad. ;(

Posted by: rachel216 | August 27, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

I cannot believe it! broken hand! damn, kid plays all out, second opinion? kid made Guz a better hitter pitchers felt that they could make a mistake and he would chase it down,this is not good.On another note let Livan come back yes bring him to spring training, what? we got someone better? He could be invaluable to these young guys and NO he is not Tony Armas,Zach Day,Pedro Astacio,or John what his face let him come back and earn a spot what could be wrong with that? trust me we could do a lot worse.

Posted by: dargregmag | August 27, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps its high time for good ol' Mike Rizzo to make some deals? He truly is the GM. Injuries are starting to pile up on some of the contenders.

Norris is a ways off. With Bard's injuries they need another catcher to finish out the season if it isn't Montz. If Bernadina isn't ready, its Maxwell ... if he isn't then ... ??? Daniels?

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Oh Chico? This was a day game? ;)

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

I think they start JD Martin September 1st right after Livan. Then do the alternating within the rotation ... with he and Stammen? Except for the Mets its going to be tough watching it against the other teams.

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

If Livan wants to come back then he would do well as the 5th starter, but I agree we need to bring in a veteran also. Just not the Bedard or Lackey level that would cost alot of payroll. Perhaps R. Wolf or Doug Davis. Although Wolf will cost a 2nd round draft pick, probably.

but i'd like this rotation in 09-10

1.) Lannan
2.) S. Olsen
3.) Wolf/Davis
4.) Stammen/Martis/Detwiler
5.) Livan

with a Syracuse rotation of
Mock
Balestar
Martis
Detwiler
Chico/Meyers

Posted by: wrw0601 | August 27, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Not to be a wet blanket but am I the only one to think of the trajectory the season took after that series?

^%*@#! after reading further with the update on Morgan.

---

Taking Wrigley not since 2005-- how delightful, and yet dastardly.

Posted by: hlaxness | August 27, 2009 5:12 PM |

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 27, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

...and we were just talking about injuries this morning...

In other news, I feel kinda sorry for Milton Bradley.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 27, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Some of the joy of the second half went out with Nyjer's injury. I guess this makes us more likely to end up with Bryce Harper. I suppose the only advantage is more time for Jorge Padilla, who tore up the International League, but needs more playing time.

As much as we enjoyed getting on Belliard for the sake of superstition, I hope his improved play leads to a trade over the next 4 days. Until the team contends, we should trade for as many low-A prospects as possible.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | August 27, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

@wrw0601

Olsen is likely gone. They aren't going to accept arbitration with him. He has had too many injury problems both with the Nats and with the Marlins.

Hopefully they will make a trade for someone under 30 to go with Hernandez.

There are now many, many more pitchers to consider and 2 will likely be recalled: Atilano and Estrada.

So, in spring training you will see at least some of these guys competing for jobs on the MLB club with the rest going to Syracuse:

LEFTIES:

Martin #1 pick
Mandel
Stammen
Balester
Holder
Strasburg #1 pick

None have shown that they can give 6IP+ quality starts at the major league level consistently.

AND

Hernandez if he is resigned.
JZimm rehabbing.

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Love it when the Cubs (9 - 15 in August) announcers talk about dropping 2 of 3 to the hapless Nats (14 - 11 in August.) Maybe they were just pissed about Boz' column this morning.

Posted by: Catcher50 | August 27, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

"BTW, I really hated to see Morgan go down but, without the sparkplug, maybe we can get a better read on Riggleman's future.

Posted by: Catcher50 | August 27, 2009"

With Morgan down maybe its time to trade Guzman and see what Ian Desmond can do?

They need to do some trades ... strike while the iron is hot.

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Well this was a Pyrrhic victory if there ever was one. Damned.

Posted by: periculum | August 27, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

OMG, this is all my fault, talking trash this morning about hangnails and stubbed toes. I'M SO SORRY!!!

Posted by: NatsNut | August 27, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

New post with bad news.

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 27, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

speaking of injuries, i thought this was interesting about Riggleman and Kerry Wood's arm:

"But Riggleman, who is now the field coordinator for player development for the Cardinals, is the only manager willing to admit that he might have had something do with Wood’s injuries."

Posted by: NatsNut | August 27, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

If the injury report on Morgan proves true, then the Nationals could go to either a Harris/Dukes/Padilla/Morse rotation in CF/RF until the SYR season ends, or recall Maxwell now (SYR will need to "off-load" a player when Balester reports, as they will be over the IL limit of 24).

It probably goes against Rizzo's better judgement, but I think the team recalls Maxwell. If they go with the "platoon" option, the team will look like they're just playing out the string on 2009.

Posted by: BinM | August 27, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Periculum; stop drinking that cheap stuff trade Guz? for what? he's going to hit .300 or at least he had a good shot while Nyjer hit ahead of him if we are going to contend next year and i think we can, then Guzman bat will be needed. Nyjer loss is a crushing blow i loved seeing him play he played like he gave a damn very rare these days. I watched because Nyjer gave me a reason to watch now the Nats go back to being predictable, KRAP!

Posted by: dargregmag | August 27, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

I'd just had the same thought, Catcher50, and was just coming here to post it.

New post, with confirmation of the injury.

---

Posted by: Catcher50 | August 27, 2009 6:28 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 27, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

And it's not your fault, NatsNut.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 27, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

I think some of you are missing the point on Livo. He may not have the greatest stuff in the world now but his knowledge is incredible. Just take for example last nights bunt which he took and threw out the lead runner at second. He always knows where the runners are; where players are playing; he doesn't get flustered or excited; just goes about his job in a very professional manner. He may be here to pitch, but he is primarily here to teach these youngins we have how to pitch and be a well rounded pitcher. He proves that control is the primary issue, not ball speed. He is a seasoned veteran who can teach all these new starters a world of knowledge. He is also a terrific fielding pitcher and a darn good hitter too. So I hope he stays here as long as he wants. Its like having another pitching coach. These newbies can learn an incredible amount from him.

On other subjects, Dukes outfield performance the last few games has been lack-luster to say the least. The one over his head yesterday looks like it should have and could have been caught. He is becoming more and more impatient at the plate. I was very hopeful about him but am certainly having doubts now.

I also see no reason whatsoever for getting rid of Guz. He is slowing down to his right true and he will NEVER stop swinging at those first pitches. But the man is a good fielder and he can hit. His slumps are short lived. I think he and Ronnie make a good team. They are both slowing down, but until wonderman shows up, which surely isn't Gonzales, they are a reliable duo and they both know how to hit the ball.
Maxwell - well, he has been up several times and is a good fielder and fast but hasn't ever hit a lick. Time to look elsewere. Kearns is history. Dukes needs to shape up or ship out.

Bard and Nieves - both are very different but both are very effective. Bard is gutsy for playing most of the season with a real handicapping injury. Nieves, I love to watch him work with a pitcher - he really lets them know what is needed. Hopefully they can both stay even with Flores playing next year. Unfortunately Flores seems to have those injury problems quite often. Both Bard and Nieves can hit the ball and probably Bard would be hitting more if he was healthy.

All in all, I think we have most of the makings of a triple fudge delight next year. It should be interesting.

Posted by: HossyLady | August 27, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

One thing is for sure, Livan would improve our offense every 5 th day unless we were in an AL ball park.

Posted by: jeremybozz | August 28, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse