Reading Material

If we really want to get all hyperbolic, each of the previous seven days in NatsTown can be distilled, in retrospect, into a single catchphrase.

Monday: Tension. (Would SS sign?)

Tuesday: Elation. (Yes.)

Wednesday: Confusion. (Huh? Jerry Dipoto?)

Thursday: Confirmation. (No. Mike Rizzo.)

Friday: Celebration. (Welcome, SS.)

Saturday: Exhalation. (Back to baseball.)

Sunday: Oh yeah... a victory. (Goodbye, losing streak.)

Sunday, the Nats won, 8-3. Here's my perspective on the game. Tom Haudricourt from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel analyzes the mysterious, talented and generally ineffective Manny Parra.

Also, the Nats hosted bloggers at the stadium. About 16 of them. They have blogs like this one and this one and this one. Scroll down a bit on the Nats 320 site and you get a perfect photo of Josh Willingham's over-the-head basket catch in the top of the first on Sunday. Just a terrific play. While the ball was falling to earth, Willingham actually had his neck craned straight up; it was almost reptilian. Willingham's catch was a feat of neck flexibility as much as hand-eye coordination.

By Chico Harlan  |  August 24, 2009; 8:33 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nationals 8, Brewers 3
Next: Green Man at Nats Park

Comments

Fifty Before Ninety!

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 24, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Very nice summary. Pretty much the ride I was on. Except my Saturday was more like (Can we maybe get a win, please?).

Posted by: KenNat | August 24, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Good going for Brian, FJB,Cathy and Mike Harris. Also a shoutout to the Flowers Blog (Harper Godek). They make being a fan of the team more interesting and enjoyable.

Sec 204 Row H Seat 7

Posted by: adhardwick | August 24, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

For those of us who went to Picnic in the Park and/or the game, Saturday might also be "Soaked".

Posted by: Section222 | August 24, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Baseball talk:

From an article about the Mets' planning to bring back Omar Minaya as their GM:

Manuel [manager], who spoke for about 30 minutes with Wilpon [team owner] during batting practice Friday night, would not characterize that conversation, but said, “It’s always positive when I talk to him, for the most part.”

Shades of Yogi Berra...

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 24, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

So, where's the suite for blog commenters? Does a blogger's blogging make a sound if nobody is there to read (or comment)? ;-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 24, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Chico - I checked out Nats320 site for that Willingham photo you reference and those and others on the Nats320 site were also on the ESPN site.

At the very bottom of Nats320 they do give credit for today's In Game Photos to: (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais). I wasn't sure if you were thinking Nats320 also does that superb photography.

Now then, those photos of Strasburg in the Radio Booth were amazing. I didn't see those on any of the other Blogs or sites. Still can't get enough Strasburg!!!

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | August 24, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of Yogi Berra, this quote of Fred Davis from Tracee's Skins column was priceless:

"It's preseason; it might not mean anything, but it does mean something."

Kind of like the last 38 games for the Nats -- 19 wins or bust (100 Ls)!

Posted by: cdstej | August 24, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

AFLAC?!

---

"It's preseason; it might not mean anything, but it does mean something."

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 24, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

So Zimm's on pace for 34 HR/111 RBI, by my calculations. A career year, for sure. He's even on pace for 186 hits, ten more than his previous season best.

The only thing we're seeing dropping off is doubles. He's on pace for about 35 this year, but he had 47 and 43 in his first two full seasons.

So he's taken about ten of his doubles and turned them into round trips. His power is certainly developing.

Posted by: JohninMpls | August 24, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Periculum,

Yesterday my comment on Morse never referenced Willingham or Dunn. No they are not great fielders either. But they make up for their fielding with their hitting. While Morse has been a decent hitter in his MLB history (not AAA) he hasn't been in their class. If you bothered to look at Morse's fielding record at Seattle you would know what I was talking about. I followed Seattle that year (2005) and he was a butcher in the field. Jamie Moyer would not pitch if he was at shortstop. He actually played against the Nationals in DC that year and his fielding kept the Nats 10 game win streak alive.

Posted by: WashOut | August 24, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Yup. .500 ball starting today will avoid the 100-loss season. Crazy, huh?

We get the Cubs, who are in a slide, St. Louis, and the 52-74 San Diego Padres before starting the division run (with the Dodgers thrown in for good measure).

Six of the last twelve against the Mets, our favorite September opponents. But the rest of the month is going to be tough.

-----

Kind of like the last 38 games for the Nats -- 19 wins or bust (100 Ls)!

Posted by: JohninMpls | August 24, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

This blogger "Chigliak" has numerous strikethroughs on Blogs on the left column of his site. So once there were 30 and now there are 16? So if you weren't invited to "Blogger's Day" did Chigliak scratch you off the list?

Also a big shoutout to Brian Oliver. He answers emails and probably has the best insight into those that are not on the current 25. I would think he will have weekly Strasburg updates in the future!

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | August 24, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Man, I'm pumped for this afternoon's game!! I just scored tickets on SH for the Diamond Club at a substantial savings! It will be my first time (a DCV). What is the deal with food/drink there?

Posted by: twinbrook | August 24, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

there are actually over 40 active blgos for the Nats, i just think the links on Federal Baseball haven't been updated ofr a while, or the owners haven't asked to be linked there.

if you're interested, you can find a complete list (or as complete as possible) of Nationals blogs at natsnewsnetwork.blogspot.com. it's a blogroll, so their most recent post automatically is listed.

Posted by: bottomfeeders10 | August 24, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohninMpls
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Great points on Zim and the power switch. On Friday Zim could have had 3 HRs and ended up with 1 as the winds were blowing in up until the rain delay then he finally got that HR in the 9th! He crushed a ball to the 407 sign in Centerfield earlier in the game that just died in the wind.

Zim also seems to have stepped up as a team leader in the last month. You can see his enthusiasm in the dugout which I believe starts from the top and plays out in the field. You also have to wonder how much Nyjer Morgan plays into it all this as he has that energy that transcends too.

I had always been envious of the Yankees dugout that has had that energy and Jeter as the ringleader/cheerboy for them. Always on his feet slapping the high fives.

When Nyjer dropped down that suicide squeeze yesterday, the dugout went nuts. Great to see that with our Nationals and hope it continues.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | August 24, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

@twinbrook: If the Diamond Club is like the Stars and Stripes Club, food can be summed up like this: upscale and expensive. Think $10 chicken sandwich. It's all very nice and enclosed, AC, small tables, home of the $4 bottle of water. I don't drink but I imagine there's an assortment of beers in the $8 range. There's a decent assortment of food, but bring a couple of $20s if you're hungry. Hope this helps. I'm going out with my mother-in-law myself, but I bring my own food. Can Bally Star rebound today?

Posted by: jdschulz50 | August 24, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Hotter then **** in Section 104 yesterday, missed Hammer's catch because you can't see the field past Row B once the left fielder gets close to the wall. Got to see it on Nats Encore, great catch! With the 4:35 start today, beating sun should be just about gone so looking forward to concentrating on the game instead of pit roasting in my seat. Moon shot by Dunn, the Guzman shot reached the first row in Section 103 and Zimms blast was a good one too! Gotta love Stammen, these guys have taken their lumps this year and they will be much better off for it. If Bowden was still here I'm sure we would have gotten a triple dose of pitching retreads. Painful as it has been this is the best experience for all of those guys. The best suited will get to stay, while the 4A'rs will have had their shot and missed.

Posted by: TippyCanoe | August 24, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Hey question for the group - is there anywhere a comprehensive list of the songs that the Nats are introduced to for their at bats? Does the team give out the artist name/song title? I'm particularly curious if anyone knows the current at bat song for our hero of late, Mr. R. Belliard...

Posted by: cdstej | August 24, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I've never sat in any of the clubs myself, but I'm pretty sure it works like this: Presidents Club has all you can eat food, Diamond Club has a $30-35 food credit on the ticket, and S&S Club has pay as you go food. I think you have to pay for your own booze in all the clubs. But again, I've never sat there so I could be wrong.

Posted by: nunof1 | August 24, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

@twinbrook - In the Diamond Club, all the food is complimentary, served until the 5th inning. Arrive abt 2 hrs before the game. Upscale - salads, usually salmon, brisket, perhaps prime rib. It is served buffet style and it is of course all you can eat. Try the cheese assortment, the smoked cheddar is awesome.

Desserts are served until the 7th. Leave room! The cobbler is awesome and if you're lucky they'll serve carrot cake, or that chocolate layer cake that's is just decadent.

Grab your water/soda and popcorn/crackerjacks on the way to your seat...you can stop and get chicken fingers to take in too, or a dog - and this is not the usual NatsDog lemme tell ya.

In the seats they will bring you anything you want from a more-ballpark style menu. Chicken sandwiches, dogs, ice cream - all part of the admission price. You pay for only alcohol should you choose to imbibe, and to perhaps tip the nice people who are helping you along (ushers, waiters and such).

Be sure to check out the indoor batting cage during dinner, and to hang out for the press conference afterward.

It really is a treat. Have a great time!

Posted by: dand187 | August 24, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

My bad totally. Sorry for the tease. I described the President's Club experience. Details at the bottom of the link. Still not shabby!

Posted by: dand187 | August 24, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

@Dand187 - You are describing the President's Club, not the Diamond Club....

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | August 24, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Is there a way to go back and delete your own Posts?

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | August 24, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

@JDSchultz50,

Stephen Strasburg ***IS NOT A SAVIOR*** he may not even make it as far as the big leagues. You need only look at the number of #1's sitting in the Nats minor leagues that haven't come all the way up to see that ... on this point PHIL RIZZO is right ... he may never earn the bonus money he has received. Its all a part of the building process ...

Its likely why Mike Rizzo signed 2 pitchers that day ... both over slot. Nathan Karns was also signed. Eventually, one or more of the 15, soon to be 20+ pitchers will pan out. Rizzo is approaching this the right way. Lots and lots of college pitching (as opposed to high school types).

Let Strasburg follow Phil Rizzo's dictum: earn your way to the bigs the way fellow draft pick Drew Storen is.

Posted by: periculum | August 24, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

"That being said he has value as a utility player/pinch hitter with maybe an occasional start in the outfield. He just can't be over exposed like Willie Harris has been. Willie Harris has a great glove and attitude just can't hit long term.

Posted by: WashOut | August 24, 2009"

I Agree, however if he starts developing as a hitter the way Willingham has perhaps he wouldn't make a bad right fielder if Dukes keeps sputtering out? Its hard to say. It took years for Willingham to develop ... as with most good hitters. Morse has power, he appears to be able to hit for average, while in Syracuse he improved his walk/strikeout ratio. Will that particularly improvement stick?

Posted by: periculum | August 24, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

"Hey question for the group - is there anywhere a comprehensive list of the songs that the Nats are introduced to for their at bats?"

Just no Bullet's fever. That's a Baltimore team. I'm not sure where he got the "have to be a fan from Old DC" as I could never get comfortable with that team. But that's just me ... and most of the DC Sports junkies I knew ... Ballimer bah ... Ravens, lez Boulez, OH-REE-OLE's ... Arbutions all.

Posted by: periculum | August 24, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

If Willingham hits that same shot to 3rd the other day, to me it is a hit and it should be for Dukes too.

The guy is a legit game changer with his bat and arm.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | August 24, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Josh Willingham's over the shoulder catch was ESPN's #3 webgem from yesterday!

Posted by: ilovethenats | August 24, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

@goinggoinggonne,

"Dukes has been red hot for RBIs and he has made no running errors or fielding errors since his callup. Why are people dissing him? Even the official scorers don't give the guy a break!"

Apparently you haven't been following this blog? Dukes is mired in a .113 slump ... he requested help from the Nats batting coach and went out and "swung, swung, swung" and injured his thumb.

Dukes average was hardly ever above .240 in Syracuse. Why would you expect him to do better with the parent club if he couldn't feast on minor league pitching ... which I am told is vastly inferior ... ~smiles~

As an earlier poster quoted from Fred Davis, Minor League's performance stats "do mean something".

Dukes is here because of his "tools" and his potential. He has yet to realize his potential by using his "tools" consistently.

Posted by: periculum | August 24, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

"Painful as it has been this is the best experience for all of those guys. The best suited will get to stay, while the 4A'rs will have had their shot and missed.

Posted by: @TippyCanoe"

Its better than that. The guys who don't quite fit get traded for guys like well ... Nyjer Morgan ... now that we are on Rizzo's watch. That's where the difference between Bowden and Rizzo really stand out.

Posted by: periculum | August 24, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

SHADES OF LEFT-HANDED Strasburg's:

Aaron Thompson 6IP 11 strike outs. 1 run allowed on 5 hits.

Posted by: periculum | August 24, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | August 24, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

__
??
Move to strike as non-responsive.

Posted by: cdstej | August 24, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Periculum,

Unfortunately you can't always use AAA stats to predict MLB performance. I think you have seen that recently. However, Morse has generally hit well everywhere. He just hasn't fielded very well anywhere. He might be good for RF or LF as a spot start. He is about 28 so his big development days are pretty much over. He is what he is. Use it to advantage.

Posted by: WashOut | August 24, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

"Unfortunately you can't always use AAA stats to predict MLB performance."

Too true. Still it is nice to see that there are Bradley Meyers, Aaron Thompson, Marco Estrada, Trevor Holder pitching extremely well down there.

Makes picking the next 2 year's rotations all the more difficult which may be a good thing?

And Marerro feasting on AA pitching has to be a good sign at least ...

Posted by: periculum | August 24, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

@cdstej re Ronnie Belliard's batting song...I believe it is called "Drifting Away" by Sean Gemini.

You can listen on his website -

Posted by: ilovethenats | August 24, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

cdstej, the We've Got Heart site has a partial list and a link to an ESPN list (the latter is not up-to-date, though).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 24, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

As far as I know there is no food credit on the Diamond Club seats. There is an all you can eat buffet for $25, which is pretty good, but nothing like the President's Club free buffet which is really gourmet quality. Or you can order from a slightly enhanced baseball food menu. Get there early and claim one of the tables on the terrace and you can watch the game from the outside while you eat. It's a pretty cool spot.

Posted by: Section222 | August 24, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Periculum,

Good observation on Marerro. AA is what counts. If he can get better at 1B in the AFL and have a good year at Harrisburg next year, he should be ready for prime time in 2011. Same for Espinosa. Next year is Desmond's big shot at the show. If he doesn't come through he has Espinosa to look at in his rear view mirror. Great to have some competition.

Posted by: WashOut | August 24, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Periculum - You are the authority on here so who am I to give my opinions and I never brought up batting average as I brought up RBIs and game potential, and I am well aware of Dukes sore thumb and his short term.

I can see you are using his last 10 game splits which doesn't tell the whole story. Like I said in my post above, give Dukes a hit where the Official Scorer gives an error on Saturday and vice versa with Willingham and they are exactly one hit apart. 5 for 35 vs. 6 for 35. Willingham the last 10 games is right at .200 and has gotten more favorable Official Scoring in my opinion as I stated above. Both are not stellar which really isn't the point.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | August 24, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Maryland basketball will finish with a 15-16 record

No NCAA bid

No NIT bid

Maryland Football will finish with a 2-10 record.

Maryland's defensive line and linebacker corps are a joke --- no pass rush whatsoever and give up a ton of long yardage plays.

I have seen harder hitting teams in powder puff leagues.

The only hard hits the Terps make - are out of bound plays - which cost them an additional 15 yards - which are quite frequent.

California's running back - Best - will gain 296 yards in the opening game

I love it, when Maryland constantly gets embarrassed on national TV.

Prediction:

California -- 56
Maryland -- 10

It's hilarious to see Maryland win a game - and the very next week get clobbered by a Virginia Tech - Boston College.

It is great to see Maryland go down to a crushing defeat on the football recruiting front (the kids they have received commitments from - are a joke! - taking the bottom of the barrel)

Carolina Blue - Carolina WHITE - Go Tar Heels - Let's go Tar Heels !

Posted by: hclark1 | August 24, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

hclark1 - Get a life. This is Nationals here. Post your crap on your North Carolina Fan Page.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | August 24, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Boz would argue that Willingham has been hitting since the minors.

-----

Posted by: JohninMpls | August 24, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Troll fail.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 24, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

To "ilovethenats" - thanks for posting that clip - wasn't able to check in ESPN yesterday. I'm always glad when they mention the Nats w/o sarcasm or ridicule...

Posted by: Section416akatheAlps | August 24, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

It's not even worth correcting his punctuation, is it? Maybe he gets his allowance paid by the word.
*********
Troll fail.
Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 24, 2009 1:19 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 24, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

"Boz would argue that Willingham has been hitting since the minors.

As has Mike Morse. That is why he still "in the mix".

With the Mariners
In 2005 .278
In 2006 .372
In 2007 .444

Only 9 at bats in 2008 and 6 in 2009 with the Nats.

.339 with 16 home runs, 26 doubles 3 triples in AAA this year.

Since 2007 he has hit pretty consistently over .300 in the minors. In 2004, when he was still trying to be a "power hitter" he hit 34 home runs at the AA level.

Posted by: periculum | August 24, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

"And don't get me wrong, I am not dissing Josh either but he is in a slump now too.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | August 24, 2009"

Dukes still doesn't seem to get it? Given the "Dutch Uncle" treatment he received from Foli I'm not sure why? The difference between Dukes and Willy Mo Pena at the plate isn't all that vast. He swings for the fences and strikes out way too much. He needs to try to work the pitcher for walks. To pick and choose his pitches. The expert analysis that Chico received seems to think he has a hard time detecting the breaking balls as they leave the pitcher's hand.

He looks to be a potential all-star #2 hitter. He has speed (something Nick lacked). He has reasonable bat control. He just needs patience. And I believe that to be his Achilles Heal, he just isn't the patient type. Which can be a good thing ... just not at the plate.

Posted by: periculum | August 24, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

First of all, being pedantic, none of the food at any place in the ballpark is complimentary, except for the picnic.

Second, Willingham's catch was exciting, but seemed to me to be caused largely by the fact that he has real trouble judging flyballs. Nyjer would not have had to make it that way.

Finally, I thought, and the guy behind me said, "like Willie Mays." A shared memory that virtually none of us actually have.

Posted by: markfromark | August 24, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

New post, but it's kinda scary.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 24, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

"Periculum - You are the authority on here ..."

Not me, I call 'em as I see 'em. I think that mantle belongs to BinM and Brian Oliver to name two.

But I do tend to disagree about Martin. He has to know this next start may make or break whether he lasts on this roster. Brian Oliver seems to think he is sent down ... perhaps along with Balester.

In spite of what has been said I kind of suspect that we may see Storen in September. They have to come up with a bullpen next year. He looks like he could be the "lynch pin" ... unfortunately, there is the business side of things ... "starting the FA clock".

Posted by: periculum | August 24, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I think goinggoinggone was being a little sarcastic but your suggestions about two experts was right on.

Keep the Carolina football crap off of this site, it doesn't belong and either does Carolina football.

Posted by: WashOut | August 24, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I think Martin will be shut down as opposed to sent down. If you look at the number of innings he has pitched so far between the majors and minors compared to his last couple of years, I could see him hitting a wall or more likely the Nats not wanting him to go out there at less than 100% and risk injuring himself.

Posted by: Brian_ | August 24, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

About that Willingham catch, lets not forget how much of a surprising catch it was. Sitting in Sec. 220, I was sure it was not gonig to be caught. What a great play to start the game.

Posted by: DCNats12 | August 24, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

But you said Willingham took years to develop. It can't be both, can it?

-----

As has Mike Morse. That is why he still "in the mix".

Posted by: JohninMpls | August 24, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Brian Oliver no doubt is THE authority.

Dukes is a streaky guy if you look at his longer term history as this is what he does. Yes, he needs more consistency.

Last year he was taking more walks but this year he is getting more clutch hits and more RBI's. Dukes is driving RBI's at a 17% per at-bat pace which is exactly where Ryan Zimmerman is, and that is ahead of Willingham who is at 16%.

Again, Dukes is potential and at a low payroll cost to this team. I just believe in accentuating the positive which is where my 1st post started and got blown out of proportion.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | August 24, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

@Brian -- Finally, a kind of answer to my oft-posted question about innings limits and minor league appearances. Do you have minor plus major league innings pitched totals for our starters? Who's going to be left by the time the Dodgers come to town in September? I would think they must be all pretty close to being shut down.

Posted by: Section222 | August 24, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

@Section222 - I have a table over in this posting (http://natsfarm.com/2009/08/24/september-call-ups-3/)

It's for the arms in the Nats, Chiefs & Senators starting rotations

Posted by: Brian_ | August 24, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Brian. Clearly I need to spend more time reading your blog. :-)

Posted by: Section222 | August 24, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse