Reds 7, Nats 0: Arroyo Throws Shutout

Let me ask: Should we care that Bronson Arroyo, in Thursday morning's USA Today, admitted that he takes 10-12 supplements per day, including some that aren't approved by Major League Baseball? Do we think he's reckless? Foolish? Should he be commended for his candidness? Should he attract scrutiny from MLB officials? Should he be chided for his unfiltered quotes? (Ex: "[Supplement use] might be dangerous," he said, "but so is drinking and driving. And how many of us do it at least once a year? Pretty much everybody.")

With all that we've learned about the PED era, what do we make of a pitcher who flat-out tells us everything, not as a reflexive form of remorse, but as a mere statement of reality? As in, hey, this is who I am.

(My personal opinion: Though I'm a bit fatigued by the subject matter, I'm definitely intrigued by the rare candor. This seemed to me like a worthwhile window into ballplayer culture.)

"I don't know," former Cinci teammate Adam Dunn said, asked for his reaction to the Arroyo story. "What are your reactions?"

One reporter in the group shrugged his shoulders.

"You don't care?" Dunn said. "See, we're on the same page. I could care less what Bronson takes."

Dunn then paused and added this: "He took the right pills tonight."

If possible, Arroyo's outing Thursday night -- 9 IP, 0 ER, 2 H, 103 pitches -- out-shined the tell-all cover story from hours earlier, and it paced the Reds to a 7-0 victory over the Nats. Since that Monday off day, Washington has played three dreadful games, getting out-scored 21-3. For the second night in a row, Nats pitchers surrendered four home runs. This time around, Jonny Gomes hit three of them. (He became just the 24th player in Cincinnati history to do so.)

The Nats, just three games ago, were proud owners of an eight-game winning streak. Then they ran into a hot Braves team that threw Tommy Hanson and Derek Lowe on back-to-back nights. Now, Arroyo. After the latest loss, interim manager Jim Riggleman called his team together for a quick clubhouse meeting.

The message?

"I said, you know, when you're getting beat like that, you're gonna look flat," Riggleman said. "You look flat when you only get two hits. So you've got to create some energy: You've got to be hustling down the line, you've got to be running balls out. You hit flyballs, you've got to be rounding the bag hard. There's a perception there. You're trying to send a message to the other dugout: You're beating us, but we're gonna keep coming at you. And I think our guys have done a good job of that. I really do. But tonight I just felt like we didn't get after it the way we have. I just reminded them that that's gonna make us all look bad."

By Chico Harlan  |  August 13, 2009; 10:38 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Dunn, Back Where His Career Began
Next: Reading Material

Comments

Never mind Tony's base-stealing adventures
-- THEM that's in the "other circle" gotta quit throwing the homerun ball. NOW.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 13, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm posting this because I thought Nats_Lady's comment looked lonely.

See y'all in the morning.

Posted by: Scooter_ | August 14, 2009 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Aw, Scooter, that is so plush of you.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | August 14, 2009 7:44 AM | Report abuse

... and I'm posting this because ... well, it's already morning.

... I see where Shane Victorino is assisting Chicago police to pursue legal action against the Cubs fan who dumped his suds on the poor outfielder.

"I just want to make sure that guy gets what's due," Shane pontificates.

That's rich: a guy from Philadelphia getting all huffy because a fan got a little rowdy.

... what's wrong with this picture?

Go Nats!!

Posted by: natscanreduxit | August 14, 2009 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Zim with the #1 "Web Gem" last night.

Posted by: twinbrook | August 14, 2009 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Yeah! How dare those idiots from Philthydelphia want the protection of the law to apply to them! Someone should go punch his grandmother. He'd totally deserve it since he plays in Philly.

Posted by: Uncle_Teddy | August 14, 2009 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Zim with the #1 "Web Gem" last night.
*************************************

Well, it's nice that the Nats brought their gloves on the road trip. It's too bad that they forgot their bats though.

Posted by: BGinVA | August 14, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

I almost clicked on the report abuse button after watching last night's game.

Arroyo may have been more focussed and determined last night after getting himself in the papers, but he's still not Cy Young.

I'm thinking its time to send down an extra reliever and recall Morse or Orr. And while I have no objection whatsoever to a Willingham, Morgan, Dukes outfield for the foreseeable future, I think they ought to start Padilla at least one game before long.

Balester is one of my favorite personalities on the team but he should probably stop serving up those fat pitches. We've still got one or two starters doen at Syracuse that have not got their shot yet this year.

Posted by: natbiscuits | August 14, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

I was watching the Nats rather than the pointy-ball team last night, though I didn't post here. I was hoping to see our guys light up Arroyo after his revelations about PED use. Re. Bronson's candor on that front, I'd be more impressed if it hadn't followed recent revelations about Sox teammates who were outed as having failed tests, and perhaps been tied to the possibility of his being outed as well. And "pretty much everybody" doesn't drink and drive. I'm pretty sure his advisors or agent didn't tell him what to say, because if they did, he needs new ones. What an arrogant a$$.

Re. the Cubs fans, I haven't yet read the full story but I hope that they were ejected and otherwise penalized. I recall someone throwing trash on our left fielder at a Wrigley game one year. Can't remember who it was, but it seems to me it was a rookie (not that it's any better if it happens to a more experienced player). It shouldn't happen to anyone, not even a Phoolies player.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 14, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

"He took the right pills tonight." So this is what baseball is really coming to? Hey Bud, get off your butt and do something! Your "sport" is becoming a joke.

Posted by: futbolclif | August 14, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Taking into consideration budget and team-build strategies, do you think the Nats' ownership is attempting to:

A. Build a contender, over time, for the WS.

C. Optimize annual profits, and will follow whatever business model will accomplish that.

I think the answer is probably B, what I'm wondering what others think?

Posted by: EdDC | August 14, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Follow up to the Cubs story, the fan in question turned himself in to the police. He'd skulked away from Wrigley after another fan was misidentified as the perpetrator.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 14, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Upon reflection, I think it was Kory Casto that the Cubs fans threw trash on last year.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 14, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

I've said it before ... if it was me, I would do whatever was necessary to rise above the competition and get to the big game. If it means using a cane by the time I'm sixty (and which young ballplayer is thinking realistically about turning sixty?) so be it. This is not the kind of problem -- if you even think it is a problem -- which can be solved by lengthening the list of banned substances. The way to reduce this behavior is to induce a different mindset among the players. Good luck with that.

Posted by: ihatewalks | August 14, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

OTOH, IHW, perhaps one would not even make it to sixty. I'm thinking here of suicides that have been associated with steroid use.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 14, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

I believe that there have also been cases of premature deaths (non-suicidal) in young athletes who used. I don't think that a physical breakdown in later years is the only risk (and you can likely look forward to that even without the steroids ;-)).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 14, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

This can all be discussed (though I personally hope it's not) in the new post.

Posted by: Scooter_ | August 14, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Yeah both home teams playing last night got shut out on the road, Riggs and Zorn both looked pissed as i watched both pressers wonder if they texted each other.

Posted by: dargregmag | August 14, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

You and Bud Seling both, Scooter. ;-)

---

This can all be discussed (though I personally hope it's not) in the new post.

Posted by: Scooter_ | August 14, 2009 9:37 AM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 14, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

"A. Build a contender, over time, for the WS.

B. Achieve respectability: a .500 club most years, but with a chance to go further if they strike gold with some young guys."

If you look at the teams that have played in the World Series over the past decade, you'd realize that these two options are basically the same.

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | August 14, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Wonder if Boz is having trouble this a.m. trying to decide how bad the Gnats are?

Posted by: MartinZook | August 14, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

"I think the answer is probably B, what I'm wondering what others think?"

Ed: We won't know until (a) the management hires a GM and (b) we wait a few years to see how that all works out.

The GM will be the key. He'll have to be a cut above average and over time he will have to persuade the Lerners (somehow) that they must spend some dough. A tall order.

Posted by: JohnRDC | August 14, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse