Today's Lineups

Willingham - 7
Dukes - 9
Bard - 2
Gonzalez - 4
Mock - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  August 20, 2009; 5:11 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nats Extend Strasburg Ticket Special
Next: Ladies and Gentlemen, GM Mike Rizzo

Comments

first.

Posted by: DCguy7 | August 20, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Hey, let's get our first post SS signing win tonight!

Posted by: kevinx | August 20, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

This isn't RI. Not sure anyone cares if your first?

Posted by: periculum | August 20, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully Mock will have a better outing than Balester ... no Belliard tonight ...

Posted by: periculum | August 20, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

FIFTH!

Posted by: sec231 | August 20, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Rizzo just finished his interview on ESPN980 and they asked the one burning question, "When were you offered the job".

Rizzo - Gulp, pause, "Ownership offered me the job Tuesday afternoon".

He has a great poker face as anyone that asked Rizzo yesterday he just said everything will work out for me.....

Posted by: dmacman88 | August 20, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

on that topic, from peter gammons:

Mike Rizzo was informed Tuesday that he was the Lerner family's choice as the Nationals' general manager. The idea was to delay the announcement until Friday when Stephen Strasburg makes his appearance at Nationals Park, which meant Rizzo had to spend all Wednesday fielding calls about the streaming media reports that he'd been fired and replaced by Jerry DiPoto. While amusing, since Rizzo already had the permanent job for 24 hours, the report was a source of speculative embarrassment.

"My [19-year-old] son even said, 'I thought you were staying; now it's scrolled on television that you're out,'" Rizzo says. "I had to assure him everything would be all right."

And on Wednesday night, the Lerners and Stan Kasten ended the firing frenzy.

Posted by: sec231 | August 20, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Someone stated in the previous thread that they figured the $ lost due to this Strasburg promotion would be offset by tickets sold down the line. Actually, this is simply good marketing for today. Many of those tickets would not be sold - its not as though the Nats are turning folks away at the gate. By letting folks in cheap they ensure temselves a much greater concessions profit, which is where their money realy gets made.

Which brings me to this point: I hope that this recent string of surprisingly good decisions by the Lerners will extend to marketing the team. This promotion, for example, is great. With demand being what it is, the economy being what it is, and baseball still struggling to get a foothold in DC, this should be a weekly promotion. The concessions will offset any $ lost at the gate, and the goodwill and long-term fans created are essential. I listen to a lot of games on XM and it always surprises me how many teams have extensive ticket promotions - not just the Pirates and Marlins but the Astros and Cards and clubs in baseball rich markets. Hopefully the Nats will follow suit. Get some butts in the seats and show em a good time.

Posted by: MoMonroe | August 20, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

That said.

Whoever said they need 6 or 7 starting pitchers to pull from was right. I suspect the optimum number would then have to be around 20-25 starters between AA and AAA and the majors. I expect that after next year's draft they should be close to or have reached that number?

Rizzo has his work cut out for him.

Posted by: periculum | August 20, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Agree with MoMonroe. And that has to extend on the field. Rizzo / Riggleman must be told to forget the record and play like they are going for a playoff birth ... a pennant. Taking full advantage of the career years the Morgan, Guzman, Dunn, Zimmerman, and Willingham are having at the plate.

Play great baseball ... AND WIN ... against the best in baseball in September offering promotions to come and see what the Lerners, Kasten and Rizzo have wrought. Right in the teeth of the Redskins starting off.

I like it.

Posted by: periculum | August 20, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

MoMonroe -- you're on the right track!

Someone posted they'll be in 108L with a SS ticket on Friday. Me too! I purchased several tix, since they are singles and figured at $3.25/each (with service/printing charges) it was worth getting however many I could. Well, one of them is in 108L, 1 in 104, 2 in 109L, a few in the RF corner.

I'm scrambling to find takers for all of them -- would be happy to extend a few to NJ fans, but can't figure out how to make arrangements for a hand-off or to give you the link to print it out yourself... if you have any ideas, let me know. They are all singles, so if you want a ticket, maybe we can make this work.

Posted by: mo_dc | August 20, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Twelfth. Woohoo!!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 20, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

mo_dc, that's kind of you. I won't be able to get out Friday but if others are interested, perhaps you might create a webmail account using your moniker and post it here for them to contact you via?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 20, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Post the webmail addy, I meant. I was so excited about being twelfth that I got all confused.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 20, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse