What's Left of the Expos

17329626_014ac250c6.jpg

Sorry that the above photo is so grainy; it looks like Abraham Zapruder himself took the snapshot. But it's almost fitting, I suppose. For the last 20 minutes, I'd been surfing the web trying to find a photo -- any photo -- of Nick Johnson in an Expos uniform. All I found were dead ends or missing files, and eventually, it started to feel like I'd stumbled into some conspiracy, looking for evidence of a tenure that didn't exist. But there you have it: Nick Johnson, 2004.

Tuesday night, those at Nationals Park will see the recently traded Johnson in a different uniform. It'll look a bit strange, to be sure. Johnson had been with the organization since Dec. 16, 2003, when he was acquired by the Montreal Expos in a four-player trade that sent Javier Vazquez to the Yankees. When the team relocated to Washington prior to the 2005 season, Johnson was still there, and despite all those injuries, he entered this season as the longest-tenured player (judged by major league service time) with the team.

So now?

Only three players on the current 25-man roster appeared with the team in 2005: Ryan Zimmerman, Cristian Guzman and Jason Bergmann. Guzman was signed as a free agent in November 2004, becoming the first (marginally) high-profile player to join the Washington franchise. Zimmerman was a first-round pick in June 2005, but made it to the big leagues that same season, debuting on Sept. 1. Bergmann debuted on Aug. 28 of that year, and ended up pitching in 15 games.

If you mark longevity by the first big league appearance with the ballclub, Guzman is now the longest-tenured Washington player. But if you mark longevity by time with the organization, it's Bergmann, who was an 11th-round pick in the 2002 draft. (How many other teams in baseball can say that their longest-tenured player hasn't yet become eligible for arbitration?)

Bergmann and Clint Everts, who has yet to appear in the big leagues (he's currently with Class AA Harrisburg), are the only players remaining in the organization from the 2002 draft class. The 2003 class netted Chad Cordero (who was non-tendered after the 2008 season), Kory Casto (now with Class AAA Syracuse) and Luke Montz (with Class AA Harrisburg). The 2004 class produced Collin Balester, who is in the starting rotation.

A few days back, I talked to a few of the current pitchers about their, um, tenure.

"I was the last Expo," said Bergmann, who saved his Montreal uniform as a keepsake. "I pitched in an Expo uniform in [minor league] fall ball."

"I was an Expo, too," Balester said, proudly volunteering the information. "Drafted in 2004."

"I've been here for about six months," pitcher J.D. Martin said. "Does that count for something?"

"Let's see," Bergmann said. "It was me, Zim and Guzy going back to 2005. But the Expos? Bally, who else in the organization goes back that far? I'm not even sure. Everybody is new."

For several reasons, the Nationals have endured more turnover than almost any organization in baseball. Before the 2002 season, Jeffrey Loria, Montreal's owner, took control of the Florida Marlins -- and much of the team's staff relocated right along with him. The Expos were then under control of Major League Baseball, a tenuous situation by itself. Then the Expos relocated to a new city. Oh, and then the Lerners took over.

Based on some quick research, only three or four employees have been with the organization since 2002. By every account, the longest-tenured employee with the Montreal/Washington franchise is equipment/clubhouse manager Mike Wallace, who was hired just before the 2002 season. "Omar [Minaya] called me one day after he got the GM job," Wallace said. "I was the first person he hired."

Scouting director Dana Brown joined the system not long after, hired on March 7, 2002. Rob McDonald began working as the team's travel director in 2002. Baseball operations director Brian Parker joined the front office prior to the 2003 season. Pitching coach Randy St. Claire was hired on Dec. 4, 2002, but lost his job in June of this year.

By Chico Harlan  |  August 4, 2009; 12:05 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Turning Point
Next: Lineups From Nationals Park

Comments

I don't know the proper French Canadian expression of grief and condolences.

Posted by: Section506 | August 4, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Grainy photo or not, the 'stache comes through loud and clear.

Posted by: Bethesdangit | August 4, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

bring back the pinstripes please.

Posted by: longterm | August 4, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I know most Nats fans don't give a hoot about the franchise's days in Montreal, which I can fully understand. But for this Expos/Nats fan since the team's maiden 1969 season, this is sad moment that brings back a host of memories and emotions. Whether it was attending games with my dad at Parc Jarry in the early 70's, screaming my lungs out with friends and over 50,000 fans crammed into Olympic Stadium in the late 70's and early 80's, or there with my son in the last few miserble seasons with only 5,000 diehards, this seems like the last shovel of dirt onto the Expos grave. Goodbye one last time Les Expos, Go Nats Go!

Posted by: slopitchtom | August 4, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Chico, given the team's attack after your "situational hitting (they don't)" post the other day, could you please say a few words about how the Marlins just totally own the Nationals?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 4, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

It's a long way to fall from 1994, le meilleur équipe du baseball.

Posted by: JohninMpls | August 4, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Chico - thanks for the helpful reminder of how badly the Expos were firebombed immediately prior to becoming the Nats.

As I've said before, as much as one can fault the current Nats' ownership and management team for what they have (and haven't) done, we can't forget what a bad hand they were dealt to start with.

I'm looking at you, Bud Selig.

[Back in the early days of the Nats, a small group of fans Googlebombed the phrase "National disgrace" to yield Selig's bio after the MASN fisaco emerged in all its glory ... maybe we should do it again next spring as a five year "thank you" to the Commish for Life?]

Posted by: diogenes_quixote | August 4, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

The Nationals stink against the Marlins. There you go, Sec 3.

Posted by: chicoharlan | August 4, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Hi all. I've been away and offline but did hear tell of the Johnson and Beimel trades (as well as game scores) while I was gone.

I'll miss Nick the Stick in particular and I second the condolences of 506 and JiM for nos amis who followed the Expos.

Perhaps this has been discussed but, if I recall correctly, Nick had some time in the playoffs with the D*mned Yankees. I can't really bring myself to wish him more of the same with the Fish but I do wish him success and good health generally.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 4, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Now *that* was funny, Chico.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 4, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Bud Selig is a rat.

Also, it won't be that strange to see Johnson in a different uniform. Frankly, he was injured so often this is the first time we've seen him in a Nat's uniform with any semblance of regularity.

Posted by: soundbloke | August 4, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Wow... everyone's got jokes today. Way to go Chico!

Posted by: outsider6 | August 4, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

how about this one:

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 4, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Chico, that was yesterday's news.
Today we win.
Fry the Fish!
Go Nats!

Posted by: alm1000 | August 4, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

@Slopitchtom:

Good to have an Expos fan around... baseball is a game, more than any, that reveres it's history. I think having a connection to the Expos past, as well as DC's own baseball history, is exactly what this organization -- and its fans -- need!

Welcome Slopitch! (Had to think about that handle for a minute... Slop-itch? Ooooh. SLOW-pitch!)

Posted by: outsider6 | August 4, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Sec3
Since you asked, I went back to the box scores to check. The Nats were swept in the first series of the season in Miami, and the starters took the losses in all three games (Lannan, Olsen, Cabrera). The Nats were swept in the next series, here in DC, but this time the losses were all on the bullpen (Rivera, Tavarez, Rivera). The third series, back in Florida, and again all three losses on the bullpen (Villone, Beimel, Tavarez).

Discuss.

Posted by: TomServo | August 4, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Chico. If this works, a round at Duffy's is on me.

1a, here's one for you: http://imagecache5.art.com/p/MED/8/832/UCEY000Z/-nick-johnson---studio-portrait.jpg

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 4, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Tom,

Thanks for that. 6 of 9 losses to the Fish attributed to the bullpen.

It proves my point!

Bring back Manny!

Posted by: outsider6 | August 4, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

and just to tie up loose ends
www.daylife.com/photo/0bRHbnm70y7Ns

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | August 4, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I was in Miami for Cabrera's start against the Fish in April ... his second pitch was a 58-foot fastball that skipped up and nailed the homeplate ump in the hand, leading to a 5-minute injury delay.

Good times.

Posted by: diogenes_quixote | August 4, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: slopitchtom | August 4, 2009 12:36 PM

-----

No, slopitchtom; I can't speak for the more recently arrived and transient population, but we who've lived long enough in Washington to have two teams torn away do understand and "give a hoot".

I, at least, was saddened that our joy at the return of baseball meant anguish in Quebec. You have a gracious and glorious city with (from my one visit to le stade Olympique) great baseball fans who had built a great baseball heritage and history. You were treated horrendously poorly by the team's own ownership as well as baseball's powers that be.

So au revoir to Nick Johnson and the last remnant of les Expos, and -- from this Washington Nationals fan anyway -- always, always, merci Montreal.

Posted by: greggwiggins | August 4, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

o.k., Nick............ Have a great day back here in D.C. I gotta' root for the Nats....... but I'll be watching you. Thanks for posting that pic of Nick in the Expos uniform. Maybe we'll win today?

Posted by: susandea | August 4, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Wonder if DC will ever again have a club it can claim is all its own?

Posted by: periculum | August 4, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Its bizarre for DC, the Nation's Capital, first among many capitals, among the places where baseball ascended from an old English game, having to share a baseball team, the National Pastime and its memories with Canadians? I feels more embarrassing than the current record. Is it Frank Howard or Rusty Staub that we should look back fondly on?

Posted by: periculum | August 4, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Just because I've seen a few D-Cab references on this string:

Enjoy him, Arizona. At least you signed him the smart way (to a minor league deal worth less than 2mill...)

Posted by: cheeseburger53 | August 4, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Kudos to slopitchtom! I continued to follow the Senators/Rangers franchise for at least 20 years after they left town, so we gladly welcome all Expos fans. Diehard loyalties can't be easily shed. Go Nats!

Posted by: LandoverHillsBoysClub | August 4, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Would you describe the Red Sox as not belonging to Boston periculum? Do the Dogers not belong to LA?

Come now.

Posted by: soundbloke | August 4, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Susan,

LOVE your optimism... The Fish are throwing Josh Johnson (10-2, 2.78 ERA). We're throwing rookie JD Martin (0-2, 7.50 ERA). It's not looking good... :(

And I'll be standing and cheering Nick's first AB just for you. I'm sure he'll get plenty of love from the crowd. Of course, I hope he strikes out! :)

Posted by: outsider6 | August 4, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

The bullpens in Syracuse and Harrisburg appear to be getting better? I wonder how much pressure those guys are feeling from the current draft class? Those guys seem like they are going like "gangbusters"? I've seen many a post about "eating Crow" and not Aaron Crow about Trevor Holder.

I guess Rizzo must realize that if he "plays his cards" right he may soon be sitting in the cat seat ... or ... things could plummet even more with the wrong move.

Posted by: periculum | August 4, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

"I'll be standing and cheering Nick's first AB just for you. I'm sure he'll get plenty of love from the crowd. Of course, I hope he strikes out! :)"

---

The devil on my left shoulder says drill him - I hear he's fragile.

Fortunately, the angel on my right shoulder is bigger and tougher.

Here's hoping Martin scatters 4 hits in a shutout - and Nick goes 4 for 4.

Posted by: diogenes_quixote | August 4, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

@Periculum,

How fortunate are we that we can look back on and celebrate both Frank Howard AND Le Gran Orange?

Posted by: outsider6 | August 4, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

JD hasn't been walking anyone. If he can keep the adrenalin down, keeping the ball down he should do okay.

Posted by: periculum | August 4, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

"Is it Frank Howard or Rusty Staub that we should look back fondly on?"

Buck Leonard.

Posted by: Section506 | August 4, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Who really cares if DC has a team of it's "own"? Baseball is full of teams that have moved, as is every other sport. As a DC resident, I began rooting for the Expos to move to DC after the proposed contraction fell thru. I welcome the Expo history as well as the Senators and Grays. Baseball in DC doesn't have to be so narrow-minded. If it's baseball, if it's played here, then it's ours - with all it's history.

If you have a problem with the Expos, then go root for the Twins or the Rangers.

Posted by: sec307 | August 4, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Great point 506! The greatest home run hitter in history played here too, didn't he? Here's to Josh Gibson...

Posted by: outsider6 | August 4, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

"Its bizarre for DC, the Nation's Capital, first among many capitals, among the places where baseball ascended from an old English game, having to share a baseball team, the National Pastime and its memories with Canadians? It feels more embarrassing than the current record. Is it Frank Howard or Rusty Staub that we should look back fondly on?"

Our team: the Washington SJEs (San Juan Expos)!

Quel dommage! Ca fait pitié!

Posted by: poncedeleroy | August 4, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Le Gran Orange was always one of my favorite left-handed hitters. Somewhat like Nick Johnson?

Posted by: periculum | August 4, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

"Is it Frank Howard or Rusty Staub that we should look back fondly on?"

I don't see no eight-armed statue of Rusty Staub at Nataionals Park. Do you?

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | August 4, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Baseball has become a world game, and what better place than to display the multicultural appeal of the game, than here in DC?

Posted by: sec307 | August 4, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

"Who really cares if DC has a team of it's "own"? Baseball is full of teams that have moved, as is every other sport. As a DC resident, I began rooting for the Expos to move to DC after the proposed contraction fell thru."

Taking another city's memories? I don't know ... the Senators were our team. Both franchises.

Even the Redskins moved from Boston. The Wizards were the verdamnt Baltimore Bullets. Now the Capitals? Yup they be ours.

Posted by: periculum | August 4, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I never saw Buck Leonard. Instead putting up with Frank Robby crushing the life out of the AL Nats.

Posted by: periculum | August 4, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I'll be the guy on the first base side who, when Nick Johnson steps into the box that first time tonight, yells "Welcome home, Nicky -- now make an out!"

Posted by: greggwiggins | August 4, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I too had intended to follow the Senators as the Texas Rangers -- like you said, old loyalties do die hard.

However, The Washington Post carried a photo of Ted Williams and (I think) Wayne Terwilliger wearing their new Rangers' uniforms.

The "R" that began R-A-N-G-E-R-S and the "S" that ended it were both capitalized, which I found strange; the other letters weren't.

The story told the reason: They were the initials of owner Robert Short.

I walked away that day and never looked back.

Posted by: rushfari | August 4, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Rusty is my all-time favorite player. As a lefty myself, I patterned my stance after his growing up in north Jersey. He was a Met at that time... although I later changed my stance to match Lenny Dykstra's, Rusty still remains a hero. Him and Tug McGraw. In '95 I got to meet Rusty down at a Norfolk Tides game. Got to introduce my then 10-year old son to my favorite ball player. Quite a thrill for me and my kid -- and Rusty was classy and kind. Shook our hands and talked hitting with us for a few minutes. Even wished my son well in his baseball future. Great guy, that Rusty.

But I digress... DC has a rich and meaningful baseball history to reflect on. We should celebrate all of it.

Posted by: outsider6 | August 4, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

"The story told the reason: They were the initials of owner Robert Short."

Reminds me of a photo taken of a fan standing behind Short at a game in DC holding a doll labeled as Short hung in effigy.

Posted by: periculum | August 4, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Nice photo find Chico...this photo reminds me of what my girlfriend noted the other day while at Nats park, why no pinstripe uniforms, pinstripes look good. Bring back pinstripes as an alternate uni!

Posted by: markfd | August 4, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Brian_ | August 4, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

"He was a Met at that time... although I later changed my stance to match Lenny Dykstra's, Rusty still remains a hero."

Montreal started early with trading away their best players and many ended up being some of the best in the game. And Staub was the face of the franchise!

Posted by: periculum | August 4, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

"Bring back pinstripes as an alternate uni!"

According to this blog its because of the dry cleaning bill?

Perhaps they should add a maple leaf falling near the Washington Monument?

Posted by: periculum | August 4, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

"Somewhere Harrisburg Senators IF Ofilo Castro weeps that you forgot him. He was an international free agent signed by the Expos in 2000"

I knew Brian would find someone else! Hooray for Castro, the last Expo!

Posted by: Section506 | August 4, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

"why no pinstripe uniforms, pinstripes look good. Bring back pinstripes as an alternate uni!"

Also, pinstripes are quite the slimming look. Would have done a world of good for Dmitri Young.

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | August 4, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I'll go along with this history....... especially the pinstripes and stockings. (Maybe that's why I love Nick so much -- he's got class!) And I had just moved to Mpls when we got "the Twins" ..... I wasn't following where they came from. I just enjoyed singing that "We're gonna win, Twins" song every time they played. Now, maybe someone can do that for our Nationals...... a theme song, eh? (Like the Cubbies have) :)

Posted by: susandea | August 4, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

@Section506 - I scanned the list I have and it is striking how few Expos remaining.

2000 Expos - Castro

2001 Expos - Roger Bernadina

2002 Expos - Everts & Bergmann

2003 Expos - Casto, Montz, & Edgardo Baez

2004 Expos - Balester, Ian Desmond, John Poppert, Seth Bynum, Leonard Davis, Marvin Lowrance, Atahualpa Severino, Carlos Martinez, Brian Peacock, Terrence Engles, Randy Matias, & Chris Lugo

Posted by: Brian_ | August 4, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the pics, sec3. He was so young in the Yankees one that he didn't even have a plug of tobacco in his mouth. awwww... ;-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 4, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Periculum

Posted by: soundbloke | August 4, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I forgot Devin Ivany from 2004

Posted by: Brian_ | August 4, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Most people have Brian. Most people have.

Posted by: soundbloke | August 4, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I attended an Expo game at Olympic Stadium in 2000. The game v. Fla. was played before a sparse crowd on a perfect holiday weekend afternoon. The only significant crowd reaction occurred when the French national soccer team's win was posted on the scoreboard. DC did well acquiring the franchise. MLB killed the Orioles though, cutting their ties to DC & VA. I don't see the mid-Atlantic as a permanent 2 team market. O's would be wise to think re-lo to the burgeoning Tidewater region as the Chesapeake Bay Birds.

Posted by: jsavagelaw | August 4, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

The Nationals stink against the Marlins. There you go, Sec 3.

Posted by: chicoharlan | August 4, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse
===============================
Am I the only one who thinks / doesn't know that this is a fake Chico Harlan?? No space between names & it's not capitalized.

Posted by: Intrudr | August 4, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of who we, as Nats fans, should look back on, here are some really really old DC baseball stars:

Posted by: CharlieF | August 4, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

i forget where now but i did read recently that Omar Minaya hired our equipment manager? and he's still with the team? maybe on mlbtraderumors. either way. just seems like another UXO left behind courtesy of that *@(#)!_!^$ excuse for a gm. these uniforms are killing me.

Posted by: longterm | August 4, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Back in 1962, when I was a mere 10, my sister briefly dated Rusty Staub when he was coming up with the Houston Colt 45s. Needless to say, he immediately became and remained my favorite major leaguer and I followed him closely as he moved from Houston, Mets, Tigers, Expos, & Rangers (another D.C. connection!).
I would really enjoy having him (and others) invited to D.C. for a Expos/Nats old timers game.

Posted by: 1stBaseCoach | August 4, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Who are the senior Expos still in baseball?

Pedro and Cliff Floyd go back to the championship year - 1994.

Grudzielanek played in 1995, but did he sign with anyone this year? Vladi debuted in 1996.

Still think there ought to be Canada Day (7/1) or some sort of Expo throw back night once a year.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | August 4, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

The story told the reason: They were the initials of owner Robert Short.

I walked away that day and never looked back.

Posted by: rushfari | August 4, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse
===============================

Quite fitting!!

Posted by: dkidwell61 | August 4, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Chico, great job as always. You're my #1 link to the Nats while living in The Evil Empire and I couldn't ask for more.
Except....
Less than two weeks to D-Day; any word on the Strasburg signing?

Posted by: ajtrue78 | August 4, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I loved that old Win! Twins! logo they had.

For the record, I ain't shakin' hands with no one from St. Paul.

-----

Posted by: JohninMpls | August 4, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Which Evil Empire? NY or Boston?

-----

Posted by: JohninMpls | August 4, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Brian, that is shocking. Would we see similar vanishing personnel if we set a cut off date for any organization, or is this indicative of what MLB did to the organization?

Posted by: Section506 | August 4, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

...or Korea? What? Oh. Never mind...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 4, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm convinced the curly W is a hex.

Ideas for change:
2. Incorporate the capitol dome in the away uni sleeve.
3. Put the Screech head on the cap ala the old cartoon O's Bird.

Posted by: dclifer97 | August 4, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I was thinking it might be the disappointing, but still musically intriguing sophomore release of Rage Against the Machine.

Posted by: Section506 | August 4, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

"Did you notice that when you eliminate the "R" and the "S", only "anger" remains!!
Quite fitting!!

Posted by: dkidwell61 | August 4, 2009"

Perfect, absolutely perfect! Can you find a way to get "sad" in there somewhere?

Posted by: periculum | August 4, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

"also bring Walter Johnson statue to life"

Of all the crazy ideas often floated on this blog to improve the team, this has to be the very best one of all. I am 100% behind the Lerners investing in bringing Johnson's statue to life, especially with all those extra arms.

Posted by: Section506 | August 4, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

"1. Bring back the block W circa 1924 (also bring Walter Johnson statue to life)."

There's your "veteran" mentor Rizzo.

Posted by: periculum | August 4, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

"Is it your contention that Expos fans should simply stop following the Nationals? Stop following baseball? Follow the Jays (much as it would hurt us to do so)? Or to simply pick another team we like?"

None of the above. It seems sad that Montreal lost its team, that DC lost its team twice!? And that the Nation's capital must "stoop" to "borrowing" another city's memories.

Posted by: periculum | August 4, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

@Section506 - That's a good question. I'd imagine that we might see more 'homegrown' representation on the major league roster on other teams

Posted by: Brian_ | August 4, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Peri

Sorry, believe me, I would support another team if I could, I just but it doesn't work that way.

Posted by: soundbloke | August 4, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

An Ex-Expos vs Ex-Twins Old Timer's Day would be a great event.

Posted by: comish4lif | August 4, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

"3. Put the Screech head on the cap ala the old cartoon O's Bird."

No way would I want it to resemble anything from Baltimore. Instead, I recommend a Senator-like Lucifer evilly smiling after granting the Nats a world series win over the Yankees for a soul or two. Just imagine him at the Willard Hotel enjoying a cigar and Brandy.

Posted by: periculum | August 4, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Come on down to DC. If you notify Stan K, he'll roll out the red carpet and stock the stores with expos hats. Heck, he might even proclaim it expos remembrance day. But seriously, keep rooting for the Nats, until your heart can't stomach it anymore.

Posted by: dclifer97 | August 4, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

@periculum: I don't think we're "borrowing" anyone's memories. That teams that came and went left some, the team that arrived in '05 brought some of its own. And we're the beneficiaries of this largesse. Nothing sad about that at all.

Posted by: outsider6 | August 4, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

FYI - in case you are looking for him tonight, Nick Johnson is now sporting #20 for the Fish.

Posted by: Intrudr | August 4, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

"That didn't really answer my question. Can I still be a a Nat's fan? Without history there is no reason for me to be a Nat's fan. The type of baseball I like, and the style I like, would be better represented by a team like the Twins. However, because of DC's history, specifically their time in Montreal and my ties with that city, and growing up supporting them with my Father, I love this team. That is a product of the team and I sharing a history."

Why not? Lots of folks root for the Yankees, the Dodgers, and even the Giants from all over. I could never root for the Twins, the Rangers, the Yankees, the Orioles (even though its convenient having both an American League and a National League team nearby).

I'm just not sure I like "borrowing" another city's team ... taking their traditions, their hopes and dreams. At least not this city.

Posted by: periculum | August 4, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

@Periculum
What about giving up your childhood team to root for the Nats?

Posted by: Intrudr | August 4, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

This might also be a good idea...

Rangers offering up to 75 percent discount on weekday tickets

Posted by: dclifer97 | August 4, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

This might also be a good idea...

Rangers offering up to 75 percent discount on weekday tickets

Posted by: dclifer97 | August 4, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse
===============

Posted by: Intrudr | August 4, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Here's a nice one:

---

3. Put the Screech head on the cap ala the old cartoon O's Bird.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | August 4, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

read thru to the bottom...from CNNSI:

"Grand slams hit by Nationals left fielder Josh Willingham against the Brewers at Miller Park on Monday July 27.

Willingham became just the 13th man in big-league history -- and just the third in National League annals -- to blast two home runs with the bases jammed in the same contest, and the first since Boston third baseman Bill Mueller nailed the Rangers on July 23, 2003. Willingham touched up starter Jeff Suppan in the fifth inning and came back against reliever Mark DiFelice in the sixth. Oddly, nearly half of the 13 double-granny hitters, like Willingham, did their damage in consecutive innings, and that doesn't include the most impressive of them all, Pedro Feliz, who on April 23, 1999 hit two grand slams for the Cardinals in the same inning, off of the same pitcher, Chan Ho Park. Willingham's eight RBIs set the Nationals team record and matched the Expos/Nats franchise mark for runs knocked in set by Tim Wallach in 1990. One final oddity: The last player to blast two while in the lineup as an outfielder? Former Nationals manager Frank Robinson, as an Oriole, against the Senators in Washington on June 26, 1970."

Posted by: dclifer97 | August 4, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

"What about giving up your childhood team to root for the Nats?

Posted by: Intrudr | August 4, 2009"

I don't know. I had to do it. Of course they are in DC now and sort of taken on the "mantra" of the original turn-of-the-century National League franchise.

Again, if I am from DC I am not going to like "borrowing" other city's teams; luring them away with lucrative financial windfalls or new stadiums. It didn't happen quite like that in this case ... obviously given the Lerners ... ~smiles~

Posted by: periculum | August 4, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

> Nats are offering 50% on selected seats vs the Fish. Enter code E-SAVER in the coupon entry.

Also offering 40% discount for ALL remaining games in certain sections. Enter code NATS40 in the coupon entry.

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | August 4, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Pretty sure that was Fernando Tatis who hit 2 grannies in one inning.... not Pedro Feliz.

Posted by: outsider6 | August 4, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Which sections get the E-SAVER discount?

Posted by: Section506 | August 4, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Thank you to those who responded kindly to my earlier post. Great to know that there are some of you that do "give a hoot" about the history of the franchise and have some empathy for an old Expos turned Nats fan. Now let's knock off the Fish and that carpetbagger Jeffrey Loria.

Posted by: slopitchtom | August 4, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

"I don't know the proper French Canadian expression of grief and condolences."

My french is weak at best, but maybe this is apropos: "Plus ça change... (plus c'est la même chose".
At least I feel it is descriptive of the boat that Bud bailed us into.
BTW, I'm still convinced that Bud and Jeff sat down together watching "Major League" a few times whilst taking notes and resolved to avoid the mistakes that the fictional owner made.

Posted by: shygaard | August 4, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

"Is it Frank Howard or Rusty Staub that we should look back fondly on?"

Walter Johnson, Bucky Harris, Joe Judge, Sam Rice, Muddy Ruel.

The only winners we've ever had.

Posted by: laugh33 | August 4, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

dclifer97 -- One final note on F. Robby's 2 GS game against the Senators: Frank came one out away from a chance to hit a 3rd slam in the 9th inn. I was there that night and the only reason my buddy and I stayed for the whole game was to maybe witness history. The O's had the bases loaded and 2 out but Paul Blair made the final out of the inning leaving Frank in the on-deck circle. At that time, we were getting killed and we really wanted to see him do it. I immediately thought about this game last week when Willingham hit the 2 slams.

Posted by: OldSkoolDiehard | August 4, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse