A Jesus Flores Update

Tuesday afternoon, a clubhouse attendant stopped by the locker of Jesus Flores and handed the injured catcher a 2009 Washington Nationals team poster. Flores quickly penned his autograph in permanent marker. Then he continued talking about a season he wants to forget.

Calling 2009 "very frustrating," Flores on Tuesday admitted that he was devastated by the news of his torn right labrum, the last and most serious injury from a year where he played just 29 games. Flores underwent labrum surgery, performed by orthopedist James Andrews, on September 16; the Nationals expect Flores to miss six months, putting him on target to return for spring training in mid-March.

The always amiable Flores was reluctant at first to speak about his injury, but later went into specifics about the first warning signs of a serious injury. Recalled from the disabled list on September 4 after missing several months with a right shoulder contusion, Flores felt significant pain about a week later while trying to improve his arm strength.

"The pain that I felt during the [throwing] program, there was no way I could handle it," Flores said. "Not even with pills, painkillers or whatever. Bad -- it was bad. That's when I was saying, 'I don't think this is tendinitis.'"

Flores said he was uncertain if he'd been playing with a milder labrum injury during the season.

"I can't tell, because I had the other injury," Flores said. "Yeah, so you can't say where the pain was coming from. I wasn't hiding anything. I wanted to get healthy to play."

The latest injury ruined Flores's plans to play winter ball this offseason in Venezuela. Instead, the 24-year-old will remain in Washington, D.C., for the winter, rehabbing with strength coach John Philbin and physical therapist Liz Wheeler.

By Chico Harlan  |  September 29, 2009; 6:27 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lineups From Nats Park
Next: "That's Definitely a Web Gem." (Nats 4, Mets 3)

Comments

Hope he gets healthy in the off-season, and can be really ready to go by late April.

The team will need to be three-deep in ML-capable catchers to begin 2010 as an insurance policy, imo.

Posted by: BinM | September 29, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Two innings in, and Martin is getting b-slapped while the Nationals are getting no-hitted yet again. Same s---, different day, or so it seems.

Posted by: BinM | September 29, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Here's a thought - Guzman decides to have bunion surgery in late November, 2009; That's a 6-month recovery, minimum. That locks him into the 40-man for 2010, but makes him unplayable until probably June of 2010. Not good.
The horrific (but possible) thought would be if he tries to go in Spring Training, then decides on the surgery in March. That would force the Nationals to eat his salary for the year, and get nothing out of him.

The only upside is that he'd likely go to the 60-DL in either scenario, opening up a roster spot for another MI.

Posted by: BinM | September 29, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Martin survives 6IP - After his 1st IP tonight (34 pitches), that's just amazing. And he's now in a tie game, so he could be off the hook for the loss.

Posted by: BinM | September 29, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Never underestimate Martin.

Posted by: periculum | September 29, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Here comes Clippard.

Posted by: periculum | September 29, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

So, was this J.D.'s last scheduled start, or will he go one more?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 29, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Tyler Clippard= Harry Houdini.

Posted by: dargregmag | September 29, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

@Sec3: Based on rotation, Martin is scheduled for 10/4 vs. ATL, FWIW. If ATL is out of contention, I'd expect to see someone else getting the start (Estrada / Clippard or maybe even Atilano.

Posted by: BinM | September 29, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

"Tyler Clippard= Harry Houdini."
Posted by: dargregmag | September 29, 2009 9:19 PM
--------------------------
Maybe, but doesn't this team deserve a little magic?

Posted by: BinM | September 29, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Atilano would make more sense. But he pitched a complete game last time out didn't he? Not sure they will let him because of pitch count? Clippard looks like he has found a home so perhaps Estrada.

Posted by: periculum | September 29, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Curly-W in the books - YES YES YES YES!

Posted by: BinM | September 29, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

So if this was his last MLB game, he gets the exercise in a game his team won. Not the worst day at work.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 29, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Great catch Dukes! Nats win!

Posted by: cabraman | September 29, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

But don't be surprised if Martin returns for another encore. Given the pitch counts seems more likely for Detwiler to be shutdown? And Estrada used?

2 wins in a row ...

a win with MARTIN starting ...

Posted by: periculum | September 29, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Wall crashing catch for Dukes! Good to see that hustle and competitiveness! The celebration was good to see, even in a "meaningless" game.

There are NO meaningless games!

Posted by: poncedeleroy | September 29, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Early call - I wouldn't be suprised to see two of the following SP's traded in the off-season; Balester, Estrada, Martin, Martis, Mock.
Martin may be at peak value, while Mock still has "stuff"; Balester & Martis are still young. Estrada is only 26 y.o., is already a proven 3-A starter, and still holds ML bullpen potential.

Posted by: BinM | September 29, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

BinM

I see these guys as more add on's to trades.

Posted by: soundbloke | September 29, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

I"m soooo hoping for Lannan to get his 10th tomorrow. And AD to crush a couple.

Posted by: nats24 | September 29, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Me, too, nats24. I think I'm gonna play hooky tomorrow. (shhh...)

Whaddya know? Clippard got out of another jam and MacDoogie saved two in a row.

Did anyone else notice Desmond's Dmitri-like arm hook as he rounded the bases? Let the pitcher see that uni number clearly. Nice.

In other news, former Nat Marlon Byrd was MLB's AL player of the week for 9/27. Congrats to Marlon!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 29, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

1a, where do you and 1c sit?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 29, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

sec3, we're usually in the upper deck (300's or 400's) on the third base/left field side. Not sure where I'll be today, as I'm planning to buy my ticket at the park. Am hoping for 308 or 312, as there will be buddies sitting there.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 30, 2009 7:31 AM | Report abuse

Sec3, if you're still reading this: you can come find me in Sec 138 Row T Seat 2, and we'll text 1a.

Posted by: Scooter_ | September 30, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

there's a smallish but heavy bunch of storms coming straight for DC out the west, should get here around 3:00-4:00, I think. Even money the start is delayed, but if I make it, I'll look for you there (assuming they let me into the Gentrified Lower Boxes!)

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 30, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Well, I'm going now, to catch BP. If the game starts on time, I'll be in those seats well before then. If the game does not start on time, I'll be in those seats avoiding the rain, as there's an overhang.

(I go with my dad. We're in 1 & 2. My Nats gear today is white.)

Posted by: Scooter_ | September 30, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Sigh. Of course I should have said my Nats *shirt* is mostly white. Well, whatever. You seem a clever fellow. (I hate to kill you.)

Posted by: Scooter_ | September 30, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse