Afternoon Reading Material

While Chico is flying back from the last game in the Nats' woeful series against San Diego, here's a little reading material ...

Yesterday, Dan Steinberg helpfully summed up recent Stephen Strasburg interviews. Strasburg, by the way, will be in Washington for the next week or so.

And looking forward to this weekend's home series against the Florida Marlins, read all about the loud squabble between infielders Hanley Ramirez and Dan Uggla, courtesy of sunsentinel.com.

By Alexa Steele  |  September 3, 2009; 1:23 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Losing Streak, Elbow Soreness For Stammen
Next: What To Watch For In September

Comments

Gee, I'm really sorry Uggla isn't happy with his $5.35 MILLION this year.

Ramirez is a competitor--he's thrashed us all year. If he says he's not up to it, believe him. This is why Stammen didn't compain about his elbow, yes?

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 3, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Well, "follow" is maybe a strong word, but they were my childhood team. So I keep in touch...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ah, you follow the Sox, then?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 3, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 3, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Elias has Nick, Belli, and Beimel all rated as Type B comps now...

Posted by: goexpos2 | September 3, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Gotta say, I'm really heartbroken to see Ramirez and Uggla at each other like that -I mean really, dissent and trouble within the family is really horrible to see, even when it's your family. Considering that we never win, I think we should volunteer to take Hanley off their hands - that way, he won't have to deal with the difficulties of wanting to win or not. Happy to send them Guzman. I think Guzman for Hanley and the emotional relief it would bring would really be a great thing for all sides.

I mean, you know, in the interest of domestic peace and tranquility.

Posted by: Highway295Revisited | September 3, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Uh Nats_Lady ... aren't we forgetting that Mike Rizzo has the big hat now? This smells like an opportunity!

(Still think he should try to get McCutheon but we all know the Nats need pitching, pitching and more pitching FIRST as this season has shown.)

Hanley Ramirez could definitely fix a whole slew of problems in one fell swoop.

And FLA has been known to trade away their high $$$ contract types?

With a combo of Zimmerman and Ramirez at 3rd and Short? Dunn at first? It wouldn't matter if Guzzy or pretty much anyone else was at second? At that point all the focus could be on getting the pitching straightened out.

Posted by: periculum | September 3, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Don't make me dream of Hanley Ramirez at SS and moving Guzy to 2nd.....

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | September 3, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

"Now the question, what would the Nats have to trade for him? Can they trade Bonifacio twice? LOL

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | September 3, 2009"

Something far more attractive, young pitching ... you might throw in Guzzy ... it might also cost Espinosa ... however, clearly, Desmond would be who Rizzo would push in addition to the pitching and perhaps Guzman.

I'd start inquiring now if I were him. But he probably already has I bet ... :)

Posted by: periculum | September 3, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Good grief, truer words never spoken.

-----

Of course we are nostalgic. It's not like we have anything to look forward to.

Posted by: JohninMpls | September 3, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

If they need to hold onto Ramirez, I would take Uggla.

As for Elias rankings, the ranking of Felipe Lopez as a Type A just gives us another reason not to sign him.

I trust Rizzo enough to believe that what he got for all 3 aformentioned Type B's is a better bet than a supplemental draft pick. I am less sure about the kid they got for Anderson Hernandez- Greg Veloz isn't even starting for Potomac.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | September 3, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Okay, so if we're dreaming, which impossible scenario would we prefer:

1. Nats acquire Uggla, start 2010 with Guzman at SS and Uggla at 2B.

2. Nats acquire Ramirez, move Guzman to 2B and start Hanley at SS.

3. Nats acquire Ramirez and lose Guzman. Ramirez starts at SS, AG at 2B.

Keep in mind that trading for Ramirez would leave our farm team with Matt Chico and a bat bag. Uggla would be less costly to obtain.

But even that is interjecting too much logic into this fantasy, isn't it?

Posted by: JohninMpls | September 3, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Periculum - You are kidding about them taking Guzy in a trade for Hanley? The only way is if the Nats eat the whole $8 million for 2010.

I could see Espinosa and another starter as they want low salaries with high upside.

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | September 3, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

So eat the $8 mil. I WANT Hanley!!!!!

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 3, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

But even that is interjecting too much logic into this fantasy, isn't it?

Posted by: JohninMpls | September 3, 2009 2:09 PM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hanley Ramirez is a game changer and a thorn in the Nats side besides being a Top 5 player in the NL.

He would add 5 to 7 wins (maybe more) if thrown into shortstop next year.

He is a 5-tool, 30/30 guy and gives you power and speed with high batting average. He is in a slump now so hard to say where he will end up.

All I can say is "immediate impact" player.

OK, I will stop dreaming.....

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | September 3, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

To dream the impossible dream...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 3, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

My butt would be in a seat for Hanley Ramirez, you heard it here first.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 3, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

LOL, Nats_Lady! (uh, and one ticket, please)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 3, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Although, if he really sat to protect his BA, eh, pass. Heck, Teddy Ballgame wouldn't do it, right?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 3, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Uggla should wish for his BA to sit on. If, and I do say IF, Ramirez wanted to sit out because he was in a slump, well, he's old enough to know when he's either physically or mentally not up to it.

As he so rightly said, he has a long term contract, he doesn't need to worry about a few at-bats. I really did NOT get a good impression of Uggla in this squabble and I see what they mean about the "atmosphere" in the clubhouse.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 3, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Dream team:

OF: Willingham, Morgan, McCutcheon
IF: Zimm, H.Ramirez, AG (guess we have to), Dunn
Cather: Flores

With that, who need pitchers?

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 3, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

er, Catcher: Flores

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 3, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

GCL Nationals defeat GCL Marlins 5-4 to capture GCL Championship

Posted by: Brian_ | September 3, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

2010 lineup?

Morgan CF
Hanley SS
Zimmerman 3B
Dunn 1B
Willingham LF
Dukes RF
Flores C
Guzman 2B

With some pitching ??? I wonder how far they could go?

Posted by: periculum | September 3, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Go G-Nats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 3, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

If you swapped Dukes plus for a McCutheon? That would be something ...

N. Morgan CF LH
H. Ramirez SS RH
R. Zimmerman 3B RH
A. Dunn 1B LH
J. Willingham LF RH
J. Flores C RH
Guzman 2B S

______________________________

Here let's assume they trade Dukes to make this happen along with some others? You could put Mike Morse here and do well. Better yet, in right field if he looks ready ... Mike Daniel a left handed hitter? Ian Desmond (if he isn't traded). With H. Ramirez Espinosa is trade-able. Ramirez is only around 24!

A lineup where the only players that would be over the age of 30 would be Willingham and Guzman.

Posted by: periculum | September 3, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

There are 3-4 Int'l DSL Nats that are looking really, really good right now ... wonder how far they might go next year?

Go G-Nats!!!! Go, Go, Go Mike Rizzo!!!!!!

Posted by: periculum | September 3, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I think that a batting title is in the mix with Ramirez as well.

Atta team, GCL Nats!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 3, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

2010 lineup?

Morgan CF
Hanley SS
Zimmerman 3B
Dunn 1B
Willingham LF
Dukes RF
Flores C
Guzman 2B

With some pitching ??? I wonder how far they could go?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That lineup would yield 85 or more wins. Problem is I believe Hanley only has 2 years before Free Agency, hmmmmmmm and then he goes back to the Red Sox organization (LOL)

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | September 3, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Well, at least we beat the Fins at something.

Posted by: BobLHead | September 3, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

The Nats did sweep the last series in FLA ... but, I shudder to think what this one will be like? I guess Mock pitches the first game.

Posted by: periculum | September 3, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

We swept FLA the last series in our house. In their house, not so much.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 3, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 3, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

At least people have been keeping their sense of humor around here. This thread's pretty amusing.

Posted by: Brue | September 3, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Dreams, nostalgia, sense of humor--ain't much of a substitute for WINS.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 3, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Somewhere in the realm between nostalgia (Livo) and fantasy (Hanley) lies ... NatsTown, the twilight zone.

Posted by: utec | September 3, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Seconded.

(And that's a 19 hour drive.)

-----

My butt would be in a seat for Hanley Ramirez, you heard it here first.

Posted by: JohninMpls | September 3, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Did you see the Post discussion about NFL cheerleaders and whether they should be gotten rid of? (Slow week?) You can send them to Nationals Park to cheer for our team, as far as I'm concerned! Ha Ha.

Posted by: poncedeleroy | September 3, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Would somebody please explain where the notion of moving Guzman to 2B came from? Is the front office seriously considering it? If the problem is Guzzie's declining range, then why create a bigger problem at 2B, where range is equally important? At least at SS, Guzzie has Zimmerman's superb range at 3B covering him to his right. Imagine Guzzie at 2B having to cover for Adam Dunn's limited range at 1B. The right side of the infield would leak like a seive! What's the story behind the story here?

Posted by: VirginiaNatsNut | September 3, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

With Hanley Ramirez and a reasonable bullpen I think you would have a lot of folks butts in seats at Nats Park. Perhaps even a Presidential butt a few times when the Cubbies visit. More fun to see the POTUS and 1st dog Bo on Dog Day at the Park.

Posted by: periculum | September 3, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

"Would somebody please explain where the notion of moving Guzman to 2B came from?"

Its not as challenging as short stop. Requires a lot less speed and quickness.

Guzman is an 8mil a year switch hitter. Switch hitters who hit for high averages are nice to have in your line up.

Posted by: periculum | September 3, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

The right side of the infield would leak like a seive (cq)! What's the story behind the story here?

Posted by: VirginiaNatsNut |

@VaNN: The right side of the infield leaks like a sieve now!

The thought process behind moving Goozie to second is to lessen the liability of his increasingly limited range. Which is to say none. Basically if it's not within two feet of a standing Goozie, it's a hit. Getting a real SS like Ramirez (Pinch me, pinch me, I know, I'm dreaming) is not to showcase Goozie's lack of range at 2B. It's to get a real shortstop with an arm in there like, oh, say, 25 other big league clubs. Failing Ramirez, I'd settle for an aging Jack Wilson, which may be a little more do-able in terms of reality and the Lerners' checkbook.

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | September 3, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

"Yeah, I think Mock gets the start tomorrow and Livo on Saturday. Maybe some home cookin' will help those Nats bats.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 3, 2009"

Sunday Martin then after that I guess we get to minimally see Estrada and Detwiler. Perhaps Martis and/or Balester. Be interesting to see.

Posted by: periculum | September 3, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I just woke up from a wonderful dream Hanley Ramirez at SS for the Nationals and then my new grandson woke me up crying for his feeding! Oh Well, it was nice while it lasted.

Posted by: dargregmag | September 3, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Note to Rizzo: Hanley Ramirez at shortstop for the Natinals.

Posted by: periculum | September 3, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Its not as challenging as short stop. Requires a lot less speed and quickness.

@VaNN: The right side of the infield leaks like a sieve now!

Guys, this logic doesn't hold water any better than the above referenced sieves. Tight defense is every bit as important on the right side as the left. It gets at least as many ground balls, and range and reaction time are equally important. Look at the stats of some of history's all time great, double-gold glove keystone combos -- often the 2B-man leads the SS in TC/G, e.g., Reese-Robinson; Trammel-Whittaker; Concepcion-Morgan, etc. With the Nats' pitch-to-contact, ground ball pitching staff, they'd create a bigger problem on the right (with Guzzie and Dunn) than they have now on the left (with Guzzie covered by Zim). The net net would be to weaken, not improve, total team defense.

Posted by: VirginiaNatsNut | September 3, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Watching Mets-Rockies on MLBN and Joe Beimel is in for Colorado and is as hairy as a Rocky Mountain hermit. Another wreck of the Ol' No. 97 as LH hitter Daniel Murphy just took him deep.

Posted by: leetee1955 | September 3, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure there are great baseball minds and statheads that can settle this question about SS vs. 2B, but I would think that the SS gets more groundballs than the 2B because there are more RH hitters than lefties. Lots of teams sacrifice defense for big bats at 2B -- Chase Utley and Dan Uggla come immediately to mind. Isn't it true though that SS's end up moving to 2B more because of their arms than their range-- cf. Lopez? Guzzie's arm has always seemed adequate to me, especially because Zimm ends up cutting off alot of balls that would otherwise be deep in the hole for the SS.

Posted by: Section222 | September 3, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

"Guys, this logic doesn't hold water any better than the above referenced sieves. Tight defense is every bit as important on the right side as the left. It gets at least as many ground balls, and range and reaction time are equally important. Look at the stats of some of history's all time great, double-gold glove keystone combos ---"

Perhaps, but I think it has as much to do with the number of right handed hitters in the league as opposed to left. Most hitters are right handed. Left handed pull hitters are rarer. Having the bat control to "hit in the hole" between the 2B and the 1B when he is holding a runner on seems to be a lost art? See Nats recent bunting adventures.

I think Guzman probably would be just as good as say Pete Orr at second base with a little motivation. His arm would not be as important there as it is at shortstop.

In other words I think you are overreacting to Guzman's fielding ability. Would you prefer to see Mike Morse at short or second? He has the arm but apparently not the fielding skill? But he has a big stick. Perhaps as big a stick as Hanley Ramirez with playing time?

Guzman in theory should make a better than average second baseman.

Posted by: periculum | September 3, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the game background, leetee. That explains it. I clicked over to the Mets-Colorado game after the Murphy at-bat and watched Beimel get a couple of outs. I thought to myself, he must not be doing that well or he wouldn't be on mop-up duty when they're down that many runs. Oh. Never mind. He did look very Grizzly Adams out there. Oh, and earlier I watched Anderson Hernandez make an out of his own. That is one crazy Elvis Presley stance he has there.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 3, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

I also caught the second half of a Bob Costas interview with Jim Bouton. Wish I'd seen the first part.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 3, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section222 | September 3, 2009"

222, Ladson brought it up in his mailbag this week. Assume he is almost the Nats "official" blogguh? Then, he mentions putting Ian Desmond (with 17 errors in Syracuse) at shortstop which seems kind of suicidal?

Posted by: periculum | September 3, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Hail to the Champs... The GCL Nationals

GCL Nationals win it all

The Gulf Coast Nationals captured the league championship on Thursday with a 5-4 win over the GCL Marlins in Game 2 of the best-of-three championship series.

The GCL crown is the fourth championship for a Washington minor league affiliate since baseball returned to the nation's capital in 2005.

The GCL Nationals join the Potomac Nationals (Single-A Carolina League, 2008) and the DSL Nationals (Dominican Summer League, 2007 &'08) as Washington affiliates to win their respective league's championship series.

Posted by: leetee1955 | September 3, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Atta teams!

Next up on MLBN, Lincecum vs. Pedro.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 3, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Our wildcard elimination number is 1.

Posted by: NatsNut | September 3, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Nats and Orioles are the *only* teams already mathematically eliminated from taking 1st in our divisions!

Posted by: NatsNut | September 3, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

"There's been talk about Guzzie moving to 2B for months now on NJ, but I've never seen any confirmation that the Nats are actually considering it. Someone have a link?"

According to Boswell in one of his recent chats, the possibility of moving Guzman to second has at least been discussed within the Nats FO. For what that's worth, anyway.

Posted by: nunof1 | September 3, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Rizzo mentioned a couple of weeks ago that a move of Guzman to 2B had yet to be discussed with Guzman himself

Posted by: Brian_ | September 3, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Nick in the Marlins game, H. Ramirez not in.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 3, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Ramirez is on his way to the Nats ... ;)

Posted by: periculum | September 3, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

mlb article on GCL Nats' win. Check out the adorable quote at the end.

Posted by: NatsNut | September 3, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Guzman to 2B has been yakked about here & by some writers (Boz, Ladson, one or two of the ESPN seamheads) since the All-Star break. It ain't gonna happen until Rizzo sits down with Guzzie at the end of the season & lays it all out, which is questionable at best.

IMO, unless he's traded in the off-season, Guzman is the starting SS for the 2010 Washington Nationals. Ian Desmond isn't the answer to the question, at least at SS.

Posted by: BinM | September 3, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

To dream the improbable dream!

Posted by: dmacman88 | September 3, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations to the 2009 Gulf Coast Nationals for their trophy win over their Marlins equivalent. Oh, that the big club could learn to do the same.

@=1/2St: Regarding the acquisition of Uggla - No, NO, and NN-OOO-OOO! He's a "bat", not a player; He's built like a fireplug (5'11", 215), hits for decent power but mediocre average & strikes out a lot, can't be hidden defensively. Paired with a rangy, quick, high-average SS (like Hanley), he looks much better than he really is.

Posted by: BinM | September 3, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

He's probably sitting out because he's still hurt, I suppose. I don't recall seeing Ramirez's name on a "cleared waivers" list (I think I'd remember fainting dead away, but you never know), but as it happens, if they didn't put him out there already this year, the Nats *would* have first dibs, having the worst record in the NL.

That said:
2009:$5.5M, 10:$7M, 11:$11M, 12:$15M, 13:$15.5M, 14:$16M
would be [AB] WALMART prices for this guy.

They'd probably want Willingham back, plus NN plus Strasburg, and even then I'd have to think about it.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 3, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

"That said:
2009:$5.5M, 10:$7M, 11:$11M, 12:$15M, 13:$15.5M, 14:$16M would be [AB] WALMART prices for this guy.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 3, 2009"

Probably, but Rizzo would convince them that there is safety in numbers. Balester plus Martis, Dukes, Desmond, and Maxwell.

That should be plenty to get them started. :)

Posted by: periculum | September 3, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Ramirez went in as a pinch hitter, got a hit, they put in Bonifacio as a pinch runner. Was limping slightly on the base paths.

I STILL WANT HIM.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 3, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

That's the difference between the Pirates and the Marlins. Pittsburgh would take that deal.

***************
Balester plus Martis, Dukes, Desmond, and Maxwell.
That should be plenty to get them started. :)
Posted by: periculum | September 3, 2009 9:26 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 3, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

OK, so what would Pittsburgh want for McCutcheon?

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 3, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

I would give them Lannan, Desmond, and Dukes, and throw in Maxwell if they wanted, in a heartbeat.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 3, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Whoops, clarification: that was for Ramirez, not McCutcheon...

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 3, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Anyhow, McCutcheon is good but I'd rather have a macho shortstop.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 3, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Sofa: right. I like McC, but he's not Ramirez--yet.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 3, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Just throw in all the starting pitchers on the current ML roster straight up for Ramirez.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 3, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sec3mysofa

********************

You're an awful negotiator. This is Pittsburgh we're talking about right? And Rizzo? We could get McCutcheon for Saul Rivera and a bat boy.

Posted by: NatsNut | September 3, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 3, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Whoops, clarification: that was for Ramirez, not McCutcheon...

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 3, 2009 9:35 PM |

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 3, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

What I seriously don't understand is how the caveman learned to bowl. (I HATE that ad).

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 3, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

oh, heh, heh. didn't see your ramirez correction.

you know who my dream shortstop is? Eric Aybar.

Posted by: NatsNut | September 3, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Same as the rest of us, Lady--on dates in high school

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 3, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Well, now, if we are DREAMING, I want Luis Aparicio...

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 3, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Someone DATED him???????????

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 3, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

I can't honestly say Hanley Ramirez is IN my wildest dreams, but I'd sign him over Aybar (or Reyes) any day.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 3, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Nats Lady, are you kidding me?? He's a great catch:

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 3, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

@periculum: The DSL players that "might" be ready for promotion in 2010 - Bocio(C) to GCL, Alvarez(SS) to POT, Hodge(CF) to GCL, Ar.Rodriguez(RF) to GCL, A.Guzman(SP) to GCL, R.Guerrero(RP) to GCL. They're all a long ways off, even if they get their work visas approved.

The more likely "players to watch" include Norris(C?) from HAG, W.Pena(C) from GCL, Marrero(1B) from HAR, Moore(1B) from HAG, Lombardozzi(2B) from HAG, Bloxom(3B-OF) from VT, Espinosa(SS) from POT, Hood(OF) from VT, & E.Perez(CF) from GCL.

The pitchers to watch are another story, for another time.

Posted by: BinM | September 3, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

wait a minute, that's the wrong song. [RF]

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 3, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 3, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

I dunno. This is the guy my students all want.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nats Lady, are you kidding me?? He's a great catch:

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 3, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Sofa, OK, that's better. I didn't "get" the first one and had to listen to some lousy singing (on the guy's part).
=============================================================================

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 3, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 3, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Same as the rest of us, Lady--on dates in high school
Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 3, 2009 9:42 PM
----------------------
Unless you grew up as a "lane-rat", but that probably wouldn't apply to a time-shifted "caveman", would it?

Posted by: BinM | September 3, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Who says they're "time-shifted"? The whole point is that they never died out, we've just been ignoring them.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 3, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

She sure could dance. Thanks, sofa, I had forgotten that one.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 3, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Your students want that guy? Where do you teach, CUA?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 3, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Yes, she could. So could Gwen Virdon, not that you saw much of it in that movie.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 3, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Now, now easy on CUA (I did go to graduate school there).

Yeah, it amazes me too, every time I teach that song I show that clip and the girls go ga-ga.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Your students want that guy? Where do you teach, CUA?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 3, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 3, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Here she is, about 1/2 way through the clip (not as good a singer as dancer).

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 3, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

This really is baseball-related, people, and, we are selling our soul for H.Ramirez, so there you are...

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 3, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Bobby Cox got ejected without even leaving the dugout.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 3, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

@sec3: No, the whole point is that even an extinct sub-humanoid specie (Neanderthal) should be able to grasp the marketed concept of cheap insurance = X; That's why it so insulting to them (the characters).

Jeez - Do I have to explain everything to you goobs? (snicker... chuckle... lol).

Posted by: BinM | September 3, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Bobby Cox--now THERE's a throwback.

And I mean that in the best way.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 3, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Yeah. The Marlins' announcer ran some stats, this was Cox's 149th career ejection.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bobby Cox--now THERE's a throwback.

And I mean that in the best way.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 3, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 3, 2009 10:30 PM | Report abuse

@Nats_Lady: Gwen Verdon was a star in her day (more on B'way than film). Excellent dancer, could carry a tune & pleasing to the eye as well.

Yeah, I'm over 50 & a sucker for redheads; sosume.

Posted by: BinM | September 3, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Our Ronnie is up now out West.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 3, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

IF I had a travel budget with any $$ in it, I would love to see the Rockies stadium and the Giants stadium, regardless of how the teams were doing. They look stunning on TV. Also I understand the Pirates' stadium is first-class.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 3, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse
***************************************

I know I'm coming in late, and it looks like no one's here, but I can vouch that Coors Field and PNC Park are great places to watch a game. I went to Coors Field in 1997, which I think was its first season, and I was in Pittsburgh when the Nats were there last month (the game where McCutcheon pretty much single-handedly beat us and that preceeded our eight-game win streak). There are definitely some great ballparks around the country, and there are many more on my list of places to visit. My plans to go to San Diego this past week fell through quite a while ago - I had originally hoped to go there to see the Nats play at Petco Park (I guess I wouldn't have missed much!), but I'll probably be out there later this year. Guess I'll have to go there again next year to catch a game.

Posted by: thepostischeap | September 3, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Alright Chico, that's not fair. Your article (gamer?) just turned my crush on Riggleman into a full blown flame. How awesome! Dude looks 20 years younger than his age.

Posted by: NatsNut | September 4, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: longhorn64 | September 4, 2009 6:53 AM | Report abuse

Awww, man. I missed the show tunes portion of the evening while I was watching the Lincecum/Martinez match-up. And it didn't even end up the way I wanted. Oh well. And which is worse, the caveman or the stack o'bills with eyes (shudders)?

In other news, the OP has a piece on Marrero's development. Seems that he got some double-duty Eckstein time.

Oh, and attaboy, Ronnie!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 4, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Was Chico running or riding a bike while interviewing Riggleman on his morning run? Maybe following behind on a Segway?

Posted by: longterm | September 4, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

I was wondering that, too, longterm. The piece brought to mind another baseball jogger of yore, Bill Lee, as well as cyclist Joe Maddon.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 4, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Boz. Stick it to them!

Posted by: Section506 | September 4, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Chico's a runner. He mentioned training for a marathon earlier in the year.

Posted by: NatsNut | September 4, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Yeah. "Hey, Big Spender" -- sure doesn't apply to the potato-head owners (had to keep the tunes going.

===============================
Wow, Boz. Stick it to them!

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 4, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, I forgot about that, NatsNut.

Yeah, they don't seem to be much for charity cases, Nats_Lady

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 4, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Ooh - ooh - I got one! The potato fans' lament:

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 4, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

----
I think Chico said something before about running, so I figured he was running too.

Nice story, and I especially liked Riggleman's explanation that he does not really enjoy running, but doesn't feel right if he doesn't.

Posted by: KenNat | September 4, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

@KenNat,
Agreed. That part about hating running but doing it anyway cracked me up.

I find that the hardest, longest, most grueling part of my run is getting from the couch to the door. LOL

Posted by: NatsNut | September 4, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

1a: oooooooh, good one!
---------------------------------------------
Ooh - ooh - I got one! The potato fans' lament:

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 4, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Glad you enjoyed it, Nats_Lady!

Now, if you only knew Riggsie's D.C. jogging patterns, NatsNut...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 4, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

You can watch the GCL Nats clinching moment, dogpile/celebration and postgame comments from manager Bobby Henley and PD Director Bobby Williams here

Posted by: Brian_ | September 4, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Brian. They look happy. Nice stadium, small crowd (was anybody there?) Congrats!!!

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 4, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

As I'm in training for a half-marathon, I enjoyed your article on Riggleman, Chico.

Posted by: VelocityAtrocity | September 4, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Yep, those are some happy grits there! Thanks for sharing the link, Brian.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 4, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

>Our Ronnie was 2 for 3 with 3 RBI in last night's 4-2 Dodgers win over the D-Backs.

Posted by: longhorn64

That line-drive hittin, ball flattenin disco cowboy punk

Posted by: Brue | September 4, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse