Assorted Nats Notes

A few notes from the morning/afternoon at Nats Park...

* Austin Kearns, trying to recover from a bruised right thumb, is still unable to swing a bat, and is looking less and less likely to make it back for the conclusion of the season. Interim skipper Jim Riggleman said that Washington will be aggressive with Kearns in the next 7-10 days, hoping to push him back to batting practice-condition, but if he can't meet that timetable, he's probably finished. "I haven't really done anything yet," Kearns said. "It's kind of wait-and-see."

* The Nats will conduct their annual fantasy football draft after Sunday's game. John Lannan has the first overall pick.

* I saw Jordan Zimmermann today for the first time since his Tommy John surgery. His right arm was outfitted with a thick metallic brace -- it looked like something from a Terminator costume -- that limited his range of motion. Right now, the brace prevents Zimmermann from straightening his arm, though he can move it upward (as if performing a curl or lift). He must wear this brace for roughly six more weeks. It was kind of sad, watching Zimm'n open fan mail (presumably get well cards) with his left hand. All very cumbersome.

But speaking about his arm and the recovery, Zimmermann put on a brave face.

"Everything feels good," he said. "I have no pain in my arm, and everything feels great."

I'll post more about Zimmermann -- and about the a deeper issue here: When should young pitchers speak up about injuries? When should they gut it out? -- sometime tomorrow.

* Class AAA Syracuse manager Tim Foli will join the Washington coaching staff on Tuesday, after the minor league season ends. Foli will be an all-purpose instructor.

By Chico Harlan  |  September 6, 2009; 2:06 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lineups From Nats Park
Next: A Walk-Off Win

Comments

Not a deep issue at all, always speak up about injuries, never gut it out.

Posted by: Section314 | September 6, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I hate the effing Marlins

Posted by: thepostischeap | September 6, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

and we could have just won the game there, but nope...

Posted by: thepostischeap | September 6, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

ZIMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: thepostischeap | September 6, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

WOW!!!! Yay Ryan Zimmermann!!!

Posted by: combedge | September 6, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Wow, what a great finish!

Posted by: thepostischeap | September 6, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

it's quiet in here today...

Posted by: thepostischeap | September 6, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

After Big Mac gave up those two runs, I turned the TV off and stormed down to the beach (at Rehoboth). I checked MLB At Bat on my phone about 5 minutes later and realized something very important.

I am a bad fan.

Go Nats!

Posted by: AtomicOvermind | September 6, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I take it a lot of us wouldn't be smarter, then?
**********
BTW, Charlie & Dave had a 5th-grader from Alexandria, VA in the booth with them in the top half of the 3rd; Pretty bright-sounding kid.

Posted by: BinM | September 6, 2009 2:27 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 6, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I've had that happen when I had windows open for both feeds. FWIW.
*****
OK, that was weird - listening to the game on MLB.com, and for the last 1/2 inning, I was recieving the CIN-ATL feed on top of the WSH-FLA call from Charlie & Dave.
Very strange.
Posted by: BinM | September 6, 2009 2:27 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 6, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I was off working on my Bill Buckner impression, and didn't see the game, but how great is this, to just take one away from Florida, UH-gain! after all the leads the Nats have blown their way. That's what, four times now?
I suppose it would be in bad taste to go needle that Marlins blogger again, huh?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 6, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

"* Class AAA Syracuse manager Tom Foli will join . . ."
---------------------------------------------------------

:s/Tom/Tim

Posted by: Ted_Striker | September 6, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Well, then there's Livo's quote in the Boswell piece (Sat? Today?), that nowadays guys take themselves out of games too easily.
**********
Not a deep issue at all, always speak up about injuries, never gut it out.
Posted by: Section314 | September 6, 2009 3:58 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 6, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Boz's column:
Don't Throw In the Towel on This Pitcher

"I've never missed a start in my career. Guys say, 'My stomach hurts today.' My stomach can hurt, too," Hernández said. "I never go do that. In baseball, I like to see people fighting."

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 6, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't Tom Foli the guy who had Timmy John surgery?
Or was that this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Foley

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 6, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

holiday zim strikes again!

Posted by: formerlylove1 | September 6, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

I take it a lot of us wouldn't be smarter, then?
Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 6, 2009 4:40 PM |
---------------------
Well, we might have been - the kid kept calling anything in the air as "Fly-Ball, Fly-Ball"; must be a pitcher in little-league.

Posted by: BinM | September 6, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Very strange.
Posted by: BinM | September 6, 2009 2:27 PM
---------------------
Problem resolved - MLB.com has enabled a rotating video/audio feed of games-in-progress for the remainder of the season. I was getting mashed by feeds in the rotation from a minimized frame. Turned off the option, all was good.

Posted by: BinM | September 6, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else see this at the end of the AP gamer?

"The Nationals fired director of player development Bobby Williams, who had been overseeing the team's farm system since 2007."

Was this already talked about? I'll admit to being oblivious sometimes...

Posted by: AtomicOvermind | September 6, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Nevermind. Just found the post. Hazard of reading NJ on an iPhone.

Posted by: AtomicOvermind | September 6, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

"I haven't really done anything yet," Kearns said.

That statement could be good for all of 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009.

Give me Mike Morse over this stiff any day of the week, and save the $8 million.

Didja hear that, Lerners? That's $8 million. That's a lot of square foot leases at Reston Town Center.

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | September 6, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

That was REALLY fun. The place absolutely erupted like a World Series win!!!! (No fireworks, though, except on the scoreboard).

Lots of kids, lots of Nats logos, hats, shirts, etc. all through the park. This town is HUNGRY for good baseball.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 6, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I can sympathize--I have a bad habit of yelling "UP!" on popups. When I'm watching on tv. Or in the stands. Or hitting them.
************
Posted by: BinM | September 6, 2009 5:16 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 6, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

will tomorrow's off-day break the nats' momentum?

Posted by: surly_w | September 6, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

*****************************************

Yeah, why were there no fireworks? At Saturday's game, I noticed that they didn't launch fireworks during the National Anthem or when the Nats took the field. Did Dennis Rubin get hit with debris again? Or perhaps the Lerners exceeed their fireworks budget for the season already? It's funny that Charlie still used the "Bang! Zoom! go the fireworks!" line after Zimm's homer today.

Posted by: thepostischeap | September 6, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Now that the Nats have shown they can lose almost as readily with Riggleman as they did with Acta, is Tim Foli auditioning in some weird way? Will Stan ask Zim what he thinks about Foli? I loved him as a scrappy ballplayer.

Posted by: paulkp | September 6, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

________________________

I'm guessing it was due to the dog night, that canines might not react well to the sound of fireworks. (Don't know if other teams do likewise when they have this promotion.)

Worse Saturday, the PA system was playing "Sweet Caroline" again. I thought this dastardly practice had stopped -- we don't want that song here! If Stephen Strasburg signs with the Red Sox after his Nats contract expires, we'll know where he got this nefarious idea -- and who to blame.

Posted by: VPaterno | September 7, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse