Josh Willingham's Left Field Power

Ever notice how every Josh Willingham homer looks the same? Think about it: When was the last time you saw Willingham hit a homer to right? Or even to center? The Nats' other big home run guys do it all the time; Ryan Zimmerman sprays the ball from gap to gap. Adam Dunn takes about one of every four home runs toward the opposite field.

But Willingham? He's the most pull-happy home run hitter in the National League. By far.

"I've always been that way," Willingham said when I showed him a print-out of the chart below. "It's pull power. For my career, I maybe have five home runs to the opposite field."

Among all NL players with 20 or more homers -- and Willingham now has 23 -- Willingham is the only guy who's hit every one to the same side of the field. This web site allows for a comparison.

Here are the landing spots of Willingham's 2009 home runs:

Willingham_Josh_2009_scatter.jpg

By Chico Harlan  |  September 19, 2009; 10:45 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nats 6, Mets 5
Next: Lineups, With A Surprise

Comments

Okay, once again, why the heck do I have to click, like, a half-dozen links on my iPhone to find last night's gamer? And when I find it, why is it listed below the story on Hamels' victory over the Nats on Thursday night?

And when I read it, why is the possessive form of "it" given as "it's"?

Coverage is not only lacking, it's (meaning "it is") ungrammatical.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | September 19, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Sooooo.... I walked in from work last night(around 8) and my wife say's "are you going to watch the game" and I say "why" she retorts "you said you're not watching those sorry blankety blank blanks anymore" "I said i lied" she said "oh! like when you promise to do something around the house" Exactly!

Posted by: dargregmag | September 19, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, the "it's" mistake was in the piece on Pete Orr catching. But everything else I said, yeah

Posted by: shepdave2003 | September 19, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I laughed out loud at that, dargregmag! Whenever I tell my husband that I'm going to take a break from watching during a rough stretch, he always says "yeah, right...."

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 19, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

And while we're complaining about technical difficulties, why does it now take two minutes to load this page on my Blackberry -- running script, retrieving script, repeat, repeat -- when two weeks ago it took only five or 10 seconds. Plus, the text always shows up under the ad on the right rather than below the Journal logo. Coverage is lacking, and now technology is lagging.

Posted by: margarita101 | September 19, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Good research.

Posted by: inthestreetindustry | September 19, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Honestly these people with their iPhone's,blackberrie's and whatever's and the writing professor with his it's ,its......pay them no mine, chico, i love todays peace about willingham.

Posted by: bsballu5 | September 19, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse