Saturday's Lineups

Dukes - RF
Bard - C
Gonzalez - 2B
Desmond - SS
Mock -- RHP

By Zach Berman  |  September 26, 2009; 10:34 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Braves 4, Nats 1
Next: Updates on Guzman, Burnett, Zimmerman

Comments

Desmond has imploded since his 4th game up, 4 for 18 and only 1 double and I think 2 BB and 7 Ks, that to go with some questionable defense...I still say play him, but given his so-so MiLB career stats maybe we can stop all the Bowden-esque savior stuff.

On the other hand, since coming back up J-Max has had decent, if not spectacular batting line to go with his normal plus defense. Did Maxwell already play a year in the AFL? I hope he's playing winter ball, I have him as a dark horse to be the 4th outfielder next year and maybe move into starting RF if Dukes slumps again or LF/RF if Willingham is traded.

Here is my 2010 starters POST trade deadline;
CA - Flores/Montero
1B - Marrero
2B - Guzman (no one eats THAT contract!)
3B - Zimmerman
SS - Desmond (still not a savior)
LF - Dukes
CF - Morgan
RF - Maxwell

SP - Webb
SP - Strasburg
SP - Chapman
SP - Detwiler
SP - Lannan

Posted by: estuartj | September 26, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Hey gang....boy it's been a LONG time since I posted...and I see the declining numbers from others as well....Gee, to think that such a promising start(think '05)could get so fouled up. Really, a historic opportunity to create a new "National" brand in the sports world. Nations capital,lots of Latino community members, a young audience due to D.C.'s expanded importance(think of all those lobbyists and staffers), a revitalizing city...and an easy, relaxed way to watch a sporting event with your fellow citizens- without the madness of supporting the awful hegemony of the Redskins (getting to Fed-Ex is just the start of what could be a very long rant!). Granted, ownership by MLB did us plenty of harm...but so far, the Slow Lerner regime has resembled the game last night.A waste of some fine opportunities. See how Pittsburgh only had 3000 fans for a game the other day? It's amazing that we still manage to draw as well as we do, given our truly abysmal performance.And what truly saddens me is to see a player of Zim's caliber stuck here-this is a guy who in New York could conceivably be the next "Jeter"-hoping that the owners realize that they're not in Charlotte or Columbus or any other smallish city.That St. Louis has , what-350,000 residents? We're a tad bit biggerAND more important than Atlanta as well,Mr. Kasten! And jumping back to what I mentioned earlier about the potential as a new "iconic" sports brand-how many people live in Manchester, U.K.? Our owners have the DEEPEST pockets in all of baseball, and yet we have how many fewer scouts than most organizations? Even as a moneymaking proposition, I've argued earlier that a tavern is a more appropriate model for a sports team than a widget factory.(Course, as a bar owner....)You patronize bars where you get that stiff pour or freebie, where the bartenders GIVE a dang about you....You might make less per drink, but you sell a whole bunch more-AND make a lot more money!And the joint becomes THE place to be...both for patrons AND workers! Stan is right when he says this town would go NATS,,,er nuts...if they had a decent product. I just hope the team takes a long hard look at things this off season and commits to BOTH the future AND the immediate present-to US!!!.
Please, Mr. Lerner, give us a real team to root for and I PROMISE we'll make you even richer than you are and as beloved as Joe Gibbs. I'll be one of the three thousand if you don't, but as my attention drifts from the horrid play on the field, I'll be pondering the 'if only's' and sadly lamenting what could have been.
And as always, gang, you all are STILL the best. We sure love this team, huh?
Go Nats.....

Posted by: zendo | September 26, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Any thoughts on why we haven't seen Morse in a game situation if we are looking at the minor leaguers that were called up? He seemed to me to have the most hitting potential of all (I agree that Desmond has imploded). Isn't he a 3B? Today would be a good time to use him.

Posted by: longhorn64 | September 26, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Desmond will be fine in the long run. Some time in the AFL will benefit him greatly. It figures that advance scouts would get a book on him and adjust. Now, he has to do the same, and I think he will.

Posted by: cokedispatch | September 26, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I was out last night and missed the game. Sounds as though this one is not likely to turn up as a Nats Classic rebroadcast. ahem. I'll catch 'em on today's broadcast. Go NATS!!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 26, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Yes, there is seriously less posting here. It's a lot of fun watching a game while chatting with a group, and I'll miss that. Pretty soon I assume Chico won't be giving us his fun stuff on a daily basis... I'm sure I'll follow the post-season games. Who will everyone be rooting for? Announcement: the Nats are out of it.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 26, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Carp just said Guz might not play SS for the rest of the year. Any idea what's up?

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 26, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

**Sigh** Was hoping Mock would show me something in the bases loaded situation. Oh well, that's what makes the Nats the Nats.

Posted by: leetee1955 | September 26, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

That didn't take long! Why is Pete Orr playing 3rd? Or anywhere for that matter? These makeshift spring training lineups have got to stop!

FRANK 20

Posted by: tradervic1313 | September 26, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

was orr called for intentional grounding? periculum may be right after all.

Posted by: surly_w | September 26, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

these 30-something tweener journeymen will kill you every time. but short timers like riggleman keeps finding chances for them because the manager couldn't play the game either.

Posted by: surly_w | September 26, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

when i joined in at 1:25, i didn't expect the score to already be 4-0. but i guess this is the life of a nats' fan.

Posted by: nervousnatsfan | September 26, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Maxwell? Willingham? Dukes? This OF play is pathetically embarrassing. This isn't Natsluck, this team is cursed.

Posted by: leetee1955 | September 26, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

talk about playing out the string. this team has no leadership, no focus and sadly no pride. the same mistakes that were being made under acta are still evident. this team needs a complete makeover.

Posted by: surly_w | September 26, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

an error an inning. good grief.

Posted by: surly_w | September 26, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

It's called consistency.

Posted by: leetee1955 | September 26, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Ugh: I've been in a near-constant facepalm since the 1st inning. To make matters worse, it's raining in Manassas right now, so this game might catch a rain delay in another hour.

Posted by: BinM | September 26, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

It's called consistency.
Posted by: leetee1955 | September 26, 2009 1:49 PM
------------------
That's one (publishable) word for it.

Posted by: BinM | September 26, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

For the Love of God why is ORR on a MLB roster and why is he playing every day for the Nats......Riggleman is soooooo done. Just fire him today like the Astros did and let Foli have a turn.

Posted by: JayBeee | September 26, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

What I would like to see more than anything with the 20-10 nats is the elimination of this uninspired lackluster approach to executing the basic defensive fundamentals of the game. Whoever is managing next spring should devote 67-percent of spring training drills to shoring up the defense - both infield and outfield - to stop giving away outs and runs. If the team is constantly touting that the young pitching is to be the team's salvation, give those guys some help in the field. Lannan last night and Mock today had to exert themselves too often to get the "extra" outs caused by the atrocious defensive approach. The Nats just seem to have packed it in defensively for the season. Putting the soapbox away now.

Posted by: leetee1955 | September 26, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

just to make this traveshamockery complete...rain.

Posted by: surly_w | September 26, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

The Nat's are in regression meltdown -- third game in a row the starters have given up 3-4 runs in the top of the first with slipshod fielding all around. I simply can't understand why so many fielders can't make the basic plays -- very discouraging. I guess you can't expect much from a 100+ loss team in late September but this is not professional baseball. If these guys are playing for jobs there should be many, many changes next year.

Posted by: SackMan | September 26, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

@leetee: Leave the soapbox out for a minute, I'll put it away when I'm finished. Leetee was right - Defense is critical, particularly with a "pitch to contact" staff. Some errors are unavoidable, but a team needs sound defense at the MI positions & in CF, and a manager that doesn't drop players into positions of failure on a daily basis.

Willingham is an adequate LF, but not so much in RF. Desmond may become a decent MI, or OF some time in the future, but right now, he's just a bat.

The last thing this team needs in the off-season is another good-hit, bad-glove player along the lines of Uggla, Manny Ramirez, or their ilk. The Nationals already have a handfull of that type.

Posted by: BinM | September 26, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

morse PH HR! somewhere, periculum is smiling.

Posted by: surly_w | September 26, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

BinM

forget momentarily the offensive contributions of dunn, willingham and guzman. this team has two IFs and an OF who are below=average defenders which places more strain on the young pitchers. this team just can't afford games where they have to get four-to-five outs an inning twice a game. and dukes isn't a given either.

Posted by: surly_w | September 26, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

@longhorn: You ask, it happens - now at 3B, batting 9th - Mike Morse.
Unfortunately now on the mound, Zach Segovia.

Posted by: BinM | September 26, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

AAA talent vs. major league opponents = 102 losses.

Posted by: Tom8 | September 26, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I think Guzman's feet have bothered him more than he has let on and will continue to bother him due to all of his games on artificial turf in Minn. If he is done for the year maybe this will convince him that a switch to 2nd would be a good career move. I would like to see Desmond make it at short but if not maybe RF can be his position. At any rate, Dukes has proved he can't keep his head in the game and needs to go.

Posted by: SackMan | September 26, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

knewpost.

Posted by: leetee1955 | September 26, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

@surly: No argument; A good team can hide one or two questionable fielders - this team has too many to hide on a day-to-day basis, particularly when some of the front-liners are out of the lineup.
I'd still consider Flores a +fielder behind the plate, but he's fragile; Nieves has a good arm, but isn't an every-day catcher. Bard & Burke, meh.
Dunn is enough of a plus offensively that I, at least, can forgive his defense.
AGonz is a +defender at 2B, while Orr is limited; Both Desmond & Guzman are less than adequate at SS, imo. RZim is a potential GG at 3B, and Morse is a solid defensive compliment at the corners.

The OF can wait for another day.

Posted by: BinM | September 26, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Dunn is enough of a plus offensively that I, at least, can forgive his defense.

The OF can wait for another day.

Posted by: BinM | September 26, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

willingham misplays another liner to left. I guess he lost another in the lights.
oops. day game!

Posted by: 1stBaseCoach | September 26, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

2nd error in the game for Dukes.
At least he is tearing it up at the plate.

And Willingham & Dukes are our 2010 corners?
Yikes.

Posted by: 1stBaseCoach | September 26, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Me either, nervous. (I also tuned in late.)

---

Posted by: nervousnatsfan

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 26, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Nats_Lady, there are still posts here in the postseason, but they're less frequent. I'll wait to determine the team(s) I'll be rooting for until I know who all will be playing. I can, however, safely say that I will *not* be rooting for BOS, NYY, or PHI. ;-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 26, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and the new post answers the Guze question and more.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 26, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Canny NL pitchers have realized they can pitch to Desmond on the outside corners because he stands so far back in the box.

By standing closer to the plate, he would negate that disadvantage.

My comments are courtesy of Jeff the lawyer and Glenn the uber usher, the sharpest fans I know.

Posted by: jbartelloni | September 26, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse