Lineups From Citizens Bank

Jim Riggleman, on why Ian Desmond is out of the lineup: "Well, it's not to just play him every day, but as I've said before I just can't abandon those who've been out there for us all year. It just so happens we're facing [Cliff] Lee. [Alberto] Gonzalez set a Nationals' record with three doubles against Lee last week, so if I'm going to give Gonzalez an opportunity to help the ballclub I felt like this would be the night."

Washington

Ibanez - 7
Werth - 9
Feliz - 5
Ruiz - 2
Lee - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  September 15, 2009; 5:59 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Nats' 2010 Schedule
Next: Detwiler Will Start Thursday Against Phillies

Comments

I'm sure this would be in the sports section somewhere, eventually. They have all those writers, after all.

But let me be the first to call schadenfreudian dibs, in the unlikely event this comes out right.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 15, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

And that's why he will always be an 'interim' manager.

Posted by: periculum | September 15, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

I don't know how he could continue to say that penciling Orr into the lineup instead of Desmond. So ... he puts Gonzo back. I still believe Riggleman is trying real hard to push Orr. Believe actions not words.

Posted by: periculum | September 15, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

By the logic of not 'abandon[ing] those who have been out there all year', why is Maxwell leading off and playing center instead of Willie Harris?

Posted by: sjberke | September 15, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Riggleman is full of horse hockey. 'Interim' title certainly fits here.

Posted by: periculum | September 15, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

I am sorry but Riggleman manages the worst team in the majors and one of the reasons is guys like Gonzalez who frankly should be gone. Both Ian Desmond and Pete Orr have brought spark to a very borrowing team and should be able to play every night. What is Reggleman or even Rizzo thinking not getting a really good look at these two guys.
For a season ticket holder, I want a good story not crap like Gonzalez. Good luck to Riggleman if he goes 0 for 4 again.

Posted by: Golfersal | September 15, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse