Lineups From Citizens Bank

Ibanez - 7
Werth - 9
Feliz - 5
Ruiz - 2
Blanton - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  September 16, 2009; 4:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Some Thoughts on the Flores Injury
Next: Flores Labrum Surgery Successful

Comments

Blanton Schmlanton.

Go Nats win the series

Posted by: nattaboy | September 16, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see both Maxwell and Desmond in the lineup. Glad to see that Riggleman's concerns are easing about playing the untested rookie, Maxwell, over either of the seasoned stars, Gonzalez or Orr. Of course, it would be better for 2010 purposes to flipflop Guzzy and Desmond, but presumably this is premature? Guzzy needs time mentally to mull it over and physically to practice 2B in Fla?

Posted by: CapPeterson1 | September 16, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Am I looking at the 2010 roster? OH SNAP!

Posted by: NatsandSkinsareclassclassclass | September 16, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

At least this lineup has an I.D.

Posted by: cokedispatch | September 16, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I second the love for the lineup! Go Nats!

Posted by: PattyinSJ | September 16, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I have a problem with the lineup. No Dukes. He's been one of the better hitters for this club over the last month, but he sits. In fact, looking over the 4 outfielders output for the past month and the one that should sit is Willingham. He has been AWFUL.

Willingham: .169/.302/.338, 3 HR, 9 RBI

These should be the three starting outfielders:

Dukes: .317/.463/.460, 1 HR, 9 RBI
Harris: .250/.422/.484, 3 HR, 4 RBI
Maxwell: .310/.355/.552, 2 HR, 2 RBI

Posted by: erocks33 | September 16, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Remember, erocks? We hate Dukes. He's lazy and a bad apple. Sheesh, get it straight. Stop letting those facts confuse your opinions.

Posted by: Section506 | September 16, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Dukes back is still bothering him? Any word on why he is out of the lineup Chico?

Posted by: periculum | September 16, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Harris has improved dramatically the last 2 weeks and is carrying a hot bat. His walks appear to be way up.

Posted by: periculum | September 16, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Dukes also mentioned bad knees in the MLB.com pregame feature that is on him for today's game?

Posted by: periculum | September 16, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Getting back to the previous post. I haven't played a game in a number of years and, of course, never played under the pressure and volume that a major league catcher experiences, but my shoulder still hurts. Oddly enough, both shoulders, because you catch 150-200 balls a game, in addition to throwing.

This is not good. A catcher's power comes from his shoulder and elbow, not his lower body, as is (or should be) true of pitchers.

I'm not up on the latest surgical techniques ad their success rate, but, if I were Rizzo, I'd certainly be looking at someone for early '10 and possibly long term. Historically, there have been very few catchers who have had great careers, if you assume that they need offensive numbers. Also, without doing the actual research, I'd almost bet that most of the HOF catchers are like Berra, Bench, etc., in that their offensive production was such that they could sustain on the major league roster in a different position.

Just not encouraging.

Posted by: Catcher50 | September 16, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

506,

No need for any exhaustive data crunching, just a bit of clouser please. Do you still think Acta was the right Manager for this team and was he effective?

Rigg has no ZimmNN, no Nyger, no Nick at 1B and Guz with sorry feet. Team still has won more than Acta and playing MUCH BETTER Defense. Pre BP Defense drills work and so does telling players honestly what you think of their efforts and decisions. The Day Riggs called out Dunn in public after a 4 error game was the day this team turned the corner. Acta sucked and will be lucky to get a 1B coaching job at the MLB level this winter.

Posted by: JayBeee | September 16, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

I.D. - he cannot possibly keep this up!

Posted by: PattyinSJ | September 16, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Am I looking at the 2010 roster? OH SNAP!

Aren't we hoping for Morgan in centerfield next year?

Posted by: poncedeleroy | September 16, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

"Personally, my fave was Earl Battey, and his career was cut short. Well, actually, my favorite was Moe Berg, but he finally went on to play in a whole different league."

Two words: Ray Fosse.

"Aren't we hoping for Morgan in centerfield next year?"

Hopefully along with Roger Bernardina if he recovers completely.

Posted by: periculum | September 16, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Man, I haven't checked in for a while. Please don't tell me we're still trying to fry up some Acta.

JayBeee, as the Nats just showed us again in the first inning and a half tonight, they're still a lousy fundamental team. I've said it before and I'll repeat it now: they were a competitive team with Nyjer in CF, leading off and McDougal moving into the closer's role. Those two personnel moves were far more important than changing managers, even though Manny had to go.

Nyjer's gone now and the Nats stink again, 4-12 without him. The right mix of players will have a lot more to do with this team's success than the manager.

Posted by: baltova1 | September 16, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Livan bunted on his own? Weird decision there.

Posted by: baltova1 | September 16, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Nice to have immediate feedback that way from Manager Riggleman. Livan should be on the same page with the runners if he is going to bunt that way!

Posted by: poncedeleroy | September 16, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Harris has done a pretty decent job but he is no Nyjer and likely not a Roger Bernadina. I suspect he won't be here next year. It surprising that Rizzo wasn't able to trade him before the deadline? Still, without Harris you would end up with Maxwell exclusively in center field. So, perhaps that's why?

Posted by: periculum | September 16, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Difference is that Riggs is going to tell them what he thinks honestly and call out players in that locker room after the game. He already has told the TV public that he is not happy with the play. Acta would have said. "you know we are so young, you have to expect this problems and everyone needs to be more patient.

Yes base running is been the pits but the past two days but think back to the Defense Acta teams played. New Manager is going to have to run a strong Spring Training shake our all the laid back Acta influence, but Riggs has done well to get the Defense focused.

Posted by: JayBeee | September 16, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse