Nationals Claim LHP J. English on Waivers

The Nationals made a waiver claim late this afternoon, picking up pitcher Jesse English from the San Francisco Giants, adding the 24-year-old left-hander to their 40-man roster. In a corresponding move, the team designated catching prospect Luke Montz for assignment.

English went 7-7 with a 4.20 ERA in 26 games, 19 of which were starts, for Class AA Connecticut.

More on this later.

By Dave Sheinin  |  September 10, 2009; 6:23 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Desmond to Make First Start at SS
Next: Riggleman Sees Big Picture, but Is He in It?

Comments

Rizzo appears to be still have a priority on replenishing the left-handed pitching.

Posted by: periculum | September 10, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Looks like 1st rounder Madison Baumgarner out-shone him in their first year in AA. English I guess is past or almost page the age associated with a AA prospect?

Posted by: periculum | September 10, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Luke, we hardly knew ya. I guess with Flores, the kid catcher in AA and the first round draft pick next year we are solid in the unproven, 19-to-23-year-old catcher department. Stockpile those arms, Mike, then deal, deal, deal.

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | September 10, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

maybe they released Montz to make room for Harper. The Royals won today, dropping the tragic number to 15.

Posted by: twinbrook | September 10, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Is the fire chief that Debbi Taylor just interviewed the same tool who shut down the fireworks earlier this year?

Posted by: nunof1 | September 10, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Why is Listach such a MORON?! I totally agree with Dibble. We are 50+ games over 500, why are we holding Orr???????

Posted by: rachel216 | September 10, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Harper won't play catcher. That's like saying Derrick Norris will play catcher and he probably won't.

SBITPFM is right. They do have prospect catchers in AAA, AA and advanced A. Not sure how their catching skills measure out. Hiting wise they all appear still need work.

Posted by: periculum | September 10, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

We are 50+ games over 500

Posted by: rachel216

Hahahahhaha! I WISH!!! Oops, I totally meant to say 50+ UNDER 500!

Posted by: rachel216 | September 10, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

BUNT BASEHIT by Dukes! Love it. I swear this guy looks like the #2 or #3 hitter next year with the speed and small ball potential!

Posted by: periculum | September 10, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

So much for Riggleman's "strategy".

Posted by: periculum | September 10, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

I've seen enough after after just 4 innings and 2 at bats. Desmond is next year's starter at SS

Posted by: 1stBaseCoach | September 10, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Espinosa who is the better fielder, and hit 20 home runs in Advance A is playing in the AFL along with Strassburg and Marrero. Perhaps you might consider waiting a bit.

Posted by: periculum | September 10, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Dunn hits a homer! Thanks a lot! Can't hit 'em every night (like last night).

Posted by: poncedeleroy | September 10, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Give Desmond the job. Move Goozie to second. I'm onboard.

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | September 10, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Now, Riggleman does look like a moron. Guess he'll be hearing about from Rizzo ... that's what you get for not listening to the guy who runs your farm blog. Or apparently in the case of Rizzo ... listening. Rizzo wasn't going to bring Desmond in to sit on the bench. Its not like he was going to play in the AZFL this year.

Posted by: periculum | September 10, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Remember Espinosa. Like FLop I'm sure Desmond can play second :)

Posted by: periculum | September 10, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Remember Espinosa. Like FLop I'm sure Desmond can play second :)

Posted by: periculum

Please, please. No mention of FLop. That jaker just raises my blood pressure. Let me enjoy my Maalox and bourbon in peace, please.

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | September 10, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse