Reading Material

Links, missives and numbers, in no particular order:

* The Nationals are 2-11 against the Phillies this year. An account of the latest imbroglio can be found here.

* Against the Nats this year, Philadelphia is hitting .298, averaging 6.8 runs per game. The Phillies have a four-homer game and a five-homer game. Also a pair of three-homer games.

* Maybe you heard, Brad Lidge was yanked Tuesday night. Ryan Madson put on the cape.

* Sam Donnellon, of the Philadelphia Daily News, gives his thoughts on the shock mid-inning pitching change and its implications.

* Weird numbers, Pt. I: Let's just say Raul Ibanez, based on his current pace, played a full 162-game schedule exclusively against the Nats. He would have 99 home runs and 249 RBI. Actually 99.7 home runs, and I'm rounding down.

* Raul Ibanez has as many home runs this year at Nationals Park (6) as Josh Willingham.

* John Lannan is winless since Aug. 5, a six-start span. In that period, three of those starts have followed a pattern. Against Cincinnati on Aug.16, he went four scoreless and then gave up four runs in the fifth. Against San Diego on Sept. 2, he went four scoreless and then gave up five runs in the fifth. Against the Phillies Tuesday night, he had allowed just one run in six innings, then gave up three solo bombs in the seventh.

* Weird numbers, Pt. II: Beyond the Box Score examines Nick Johnson's strange 2009. His power is gone; his slugging percentage is down. You also get the daily dose of UZR herein.

By Chico Harlan  |  September 9, 2009; 8:55 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Phillies 5, Nats 3
Next: Lineups From Nats Park

Comments

What's shocking is that Lidge wasn't yanked earlier in the season from the role of closer. At this point in the season with playoffs looming, the Phillies may have handcuffed themselves.

Posted by: joemktg1 | September 9, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Dibble made some interesting points last night about playing time for some of the guys that they added to the 40 man.

-Dibble wonders why they continue to play Gonzalez, the guy is batting below the Mendoza line since the ASB. He has been a Nats rally killer over the past few weeks.

At this point Riggleman knows that 100 L's are enevitable, with the exception of when they play a team still in the WC or Division Race (i.e. Marlins or Dodgers), no reason not to start Desmond, Morse, Maxwell.

Dibbs also toyed with the idea of Nats going after Pedro Martinez for next year, Dibble quoted "imagine SS sandwiched between Pedro and Livo"! ah no Rob, that would be counter to the plan. Livo maybe as an anchor with 4 young'ns, Pedro maybe with 4 youngn's but the two of them on the same staff, no thanks!

Noticed the WAPO coverage is shifting in high gear towards Redskins & the NFL 24X7, oh the joys of meaningless Sept baseball. BTW heard the other day NY talking heads on SNY and WFAN call DC "The Baseball DeadZone"! Hey Met Fans how deep is your valley?

Posted by: TippyCanoe | September 9, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Chico - I'm going to take issue with one thing in your gamer. John Lannan was extremely homer-prone last year, and while this year he was closer to MLB average, last night's performance should not be considered too far out of his norm.

Using his baseball-reference page, last year he gave up home runs on 10.3% of his fly balls. This year, he's down to 8.4%, but MLB average is 7.9%. He gives up more HR per plate appearance than average (slightly), an is still givng up the same rate of HR/9.

Essentially, John Lannan relies on pitching to contact and gets groundballs on his command, not his stuff. He's not a Derek Lowe / Brandon Webb / healthy CM Wang type of groundball pitchers. When he does give up a fly ball, it tends to go out.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | September 9, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if the Nats shouldn't skip a Lannan start or push one of his starts back a few days. He has been a consistent workhorse for this team. He's pitched 180 innings this year, about the same as last year, but his declining performance the last month tells me he might be getting tired. Pitchers are at a higher risk for injury when they pitch tired, so lets give his arm a little break and maybe preserve it for next year (and beyond). I'd prefer to lose a game with Ross Detwiler or call up Shairon Martis for one more start than risk losing Lannan over a game that will make no difference in the standings (both the NL East standings and the Bryce Harper race!). Even if he misses a start, he'll still be in line for 195-200 innings for this season, something tells me he won't miss 1 performance.

Posted by: cheeseburger53 | September 9, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Can anyone explain why not ONE of the relievers called up appeared last night? One by one, Riggleman rolled out the same guys who have been here for weeks. At this point in the season, don't we know what is in store for the likes of Clippard, Burnett, Rivera, Villone and Bergmann??

I want to see what Estrada has. I want to see if Segovia can get guys out in the majors. I want to see Garate's arm. I don't care any more about worn out guys that aren't going to be here next year.

Is Rizzo up in the GM box going, whisky tango foxtrot? Because I would be. Why call these guys up to sit all day in a worthless game on our death-march to 105+ losses?

Posted by: tboss | September 9, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

> Can anyone explain why not ONE of the relievers called up appeared last night?

Because Riggleman wants to win the game, so as to still have a chance to keep the manager job beyond October. Last year as interim in Seattle he played the front office's game and as a reward for it he got passed over for the manager job after the season. He's not gonna make that mistake again. If there's a chance to win a game, he'll be dancing with the ones that brought him this far. Expect to see the callups play only in blowouts or in very limited roles.

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | September 9, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

WHAT HAPPENED WITH "The Main Event" LAST NIGHT?

I saw Teddy Roosevelt cross the finish line first. I saw the eponymous new character "That Cat" mucking things up, but I don't understand who "That Cat" is or why he is involved with our mascots, much less their race.

I would like tosee an investigation...

Posted by: ihatewalks | September 9, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

That cat is not new in the Presidents Race. Just another one of the lame recurring ways that they try (but fail) to make the so-called race interesting. When will they realize that the whole "Teddy never wins" schtick jumped the shark about two years ago? As soon as Teddy broke the tape and apparently won the race last night, I said to the guy next to me that he'd be disqualified for cutting the corner in right field. And sure enough, he was.

What they really need to do is lose the schtick and turn it into a real race. That would be interesting. They could still throw in schtick when the Oriole Bird or the sausages are in town, because after all it's not a real sport or anything like that. Real competition is always interesting to watch. But in the history of fake sporting events staged solely for entertainment purposes, very few have been successful. The Harlem Globetrotters come to mind, but not much else.

The little animated hot dog race on the scoreboard at Camden Yards is way, way more exciting and gets way more fan participation than our lame presidents race.

It's hilarious to hear the crowd yelling at the top of their lungs, "RELISH! RELISH, RELISH..." or "KETCHUP! GO KETCHUP!"

Posted by: NatsNut | September 9, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

TippyCanoe: Hey Met Fans how deep is your valley?
----
Or another take. Their valley is not deep enough.

Mets fans think they have endured hard times, but they have no idea. They've had a tough stretch here and there, but frequent post season appearances, and even a few championships. Their predecessors (Dodgers and Giants) were constantly in the WS before they moved.

The last Washington post season game was before most of us were born. Who was it said there are no die-hard fans in Washington? We are ALL die-hards. In Washington, you have to be. There are probably some die-hard fans in New York, but since they are never really tested, how would one know?

Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now.

Posted by: KenNat | September 9, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Many of you may remember that the Presidents Race used to be an animated thing too, back at RFK. I don't recall the crowd ever getting into it there, but maybe they did. I thought it was an inspired move by the Lerners after they took over to turn the animated Prez Race into a live thing with the big head mascots. But now with all the "Teddy never wins" schtick, that cat, etc, etc, ad nauseum, it's just plain lame. I rarely even watch it any more, and I don't think many others get into it either. (Although it was funny at one of the Red Sox games this year when the four clueless Sox-fan frat boys in the row in front of me decided to bet on the race, and one of them jumped up and said "I'm in. I'll take Roosevelt.")

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | September 9, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

"What they really need to do is lose the schtick and turn it into a real race. That would be interesting...."

----------------------------------------------------------

Dagnabbit!! Now, I have to wipe all that coffee off my screen and get a fresh cup.

Posted by: fischy | September 9, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

+++++++++++++++++

Chico - Love how you can pull these back door stats!

That is crazy!

Solution: BRING IBANEZ TO THE NATIONALS.

Just kidding!

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | September 9, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Imbroglio? It was a full on "fiasco"!!!...much better term to describe Nats losses this year.

Posted by: jbfromfc | September 9, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

The Nationals had a five home run game against the Phillies earlier this season,one that they lost.

Posted by: seanmg | September 9, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome

Ahhh what about the WWE / WWF would that be an example of the above.

Posted by: CBinDC1 | September 9, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

> Ahhh what about the WWE / WWF would that be an example of the above.

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | September 9, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

So, who is going to be the next manager? I think it's safe to say that Riggleman is not the answer (through no real fault of his own). In fact, I'm not sure anyone can truly manage this club the way that it's constructed right now. The only constant (positive, that is as there are plenty of negative constants) is that this team will compete ONLY if Nyjer Morgan is healthy. Case in point:

Acta's record pre-Nyjer: 23-54 (.298)
Acta's record post-Nyjer: 3-7 (.300)

Riggleman's record pre-Nyjer injury: 20-21 (.488)
Riggleman's record post-Nyjer injury: 1-9 (.100)

Both managers have had to trot out lineups that have crappy starting pitching, crappy bullpen help and no true leadoff man/center fielder. With this, the Nats have no chance of winning (.276).

Even with crappy starting pitching and crappy bullpen help, the Nats were at least competitive with a true leadoff man/center fielder (.451).

Next year, Nyjer better stay healthy all year long, or it's going to be another LONG summer down on S. Capitol Street.

Posted by: erocks33 | September 9, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Three words: Let. Dibble. Run.

---

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 9, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

The schtick I'm tired of is the Nats never win schtick. I was thinking about the Zimmerman walk off and wondering how I would refer to it in the future, then realized: "You know the game where we came from behind after the 8th inning and won." Yikes, it's pretty easy to differentiate from the other games that way.

Still a big, big fan, but gee whiz can't anybody here play this game?

Posted by: natbiscuits | September 9, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

And not just because an imbroglio is a disagreement or fight, rather than a misfortune or a debacle. Can't really say catastrophe at this point in the season. Mishegass doesn't really capture the culpability (although Jimbow's red leather pants were pretty much meshuggeh).

But if I go into rap music, maybe I could use M. Brogleeo for a stage name.
***********
Imbroglio? It was a full-on "fiasco"!
Posted by: jbfromfc | September 9, 2009 11:52 AM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 9, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

erocks: too soon to judge Riggleman on pre/post Captain, esp. given the Sept. callups. Fortunately, we already know what kind of a manager he is, since this is not his first job. I'm not sure there is a real VORM stat, but if there is, I'd bet he comes out slightly ahead, but only slightly--more or less average. Which would be a huge improvement. So unless they get a line on someone clearly better, he's a good "let's get to .500 before we worry about the playoffs" choice, imo.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 9, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

TBoss - I am 100% with you. Riggleman managing to win vs managing to develop the younger guys to me proves that he ought not get the job next year - he's managing for his own job security as opposed to the good of the team.

There is no difference at all whether the Nats lose 95, 100, or 105 games. They're going to be bad - probably worst in the league - managing like it's some sort of achievement avoiding 100 losses at the expense of giving Guz ABs over Desmond or Villone IPs over Detwiler is a really bad idea. If they start the younger guys and they avoid 100 losses, great, but I'd rather lose 105 and have some sense of whether or not Desmond can actually cut it at the MLB level.

Also, I second Brian's comment from yesterday. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Posted by: Highway295Revisited | September 9, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm pro Riggleman too. I can think of a few managers I'd rather have, but most of them are either working for other teams, retired, or dead (although I understand that parts of Ted Williams are still available; and that Billy Martin's liver still has a 100 year half life).

Posted by: natbiscuits | September 9, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I got it! *THE* way to end Teddy's losing streak--and this is a classic, can't miss.

Bring in FDR (yes, in a motorized wheelchair, big smile and cigarette holder--instantly recognizable image) to zoom in at the last stretch, sweep TR up and carry him over the line at the last instant. Screech wouldn't dare DQ FDR.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 9, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Ooo, NO NO --- Better still -- Screech TRIES to disqualify him, but Roosevelt appoints three other mascots as judges and they outvote Screech 3-1.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 9, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

It's fine with me (I know, that makes you guys feel so much better) if folks want to believe that managing to win now is not the right call. That's a defensible position. But I don't think it's fair to characterize trying to win as the manager being selfish. Couldn't it be, he's got some young kids (and some not), and he thinks they need to learn how to play the game right and how to win? And that may include not playing if you're not very good (yet)? Or at least, needing to play yourself into the lineup by doing well?

Again, feel free to disagree with that. But it's not fair to assume Riggleman's main or only motive is self-preservation.

Posted by: Scooter_ | September 9, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Scooter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMk5sMHj58I

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 9, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Well, I guess I told *them*.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 9, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

The problem is when Riggleman is "loyal" to one or two veterans he screws over at least 2 or more ***plus*** prospects.

My boss wouldn't do that for me. Riggleman shouldn't be doing it for Guzman. Putting a non-hitting left-handed AAAA at second so that a poor range "bunionated" guy over-30 guy can continue to play short? They even moved Cal Ripken to third base Riggleman.

Posted by: periculum | September 9, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

"But it's not fair to assume Riggleman's main or only motive is self-preservation."

Given the way he was screwed over by Seattle last year, it's hard to fathom why his motive here would be anything other than self-preservation. His only chance to keep this job is to win as many games as he can.

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | September 9, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Riggleman doesn't seem to mind playing gin rummy with the bullpen, but he seems unaccountably reluctant to replace position players (just my impression). With a more crowded bench (I was going to say "deeper" but thought better of it), I'd expect him to hit for guys late, similarly to how he'll sometimes take Dunn out for defense late, back when they used to have leads.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 9, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

similar to.
Don't you people have editors?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 9, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

By my calculations the Nats are 6-22 versus the Phiilies and the Phish, the two top teams in the division. Do the Nats get postseason shares for boosting those teams' records?

Posted by: leetee1955 | September 9, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

"Riggleman doesn't seem to mind playing gin rummy with the bullpen, but he seems unaccountably reluctant to replace position players (just my impression)."

You must not have been watching the game on Sunday then. With all the double switches, pinch hitters and pinch runners on top of one-batter pitcher changes, I was glad I wasn't trying to keep score because I never would have been able to cram it all onto the little scoresheet that comes in the Inside Pitch.

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | September 9, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

"His only chance to keep this job is to win as many games as he can."
+++++++++++++

(There's an argument y'all can make here, that Riggleman is playing for his *next* job -- with someone else -- by trying to win despite his bosses' objections. But I haven't heard that argument.)

Posted by: Scooter_ | September 9, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

"But in the history of fake sporting events staged solely for entertainment purposes, very few have been successful. The Harlem Globetrotters come to mind, but not much else.

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | September 9, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse"
-------------------

Well, the NFL and the Super Bowl has been rigged for years, and people watch that. C'mon, you think it is an accident that "the Patriots" won after 2001? Or how about the Wrold Series? That was rigged in 2004. It was designed to distract Manny Ortez fans from other stuff going on, like the election.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | September 9, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

"Guys, if winning games is how Riggleman is going to keep his *current* job, then obviously winning games is what his superiors want him to do. If they wanted him to have other priorities, then trying to win would be shooting himself in the foot."

Not necessarily. His superiors in Seattle last year told him they didn't necessarily care if he won. He believed them, managed accordingly, and didn't get the job.

Following your superior's wishes gets you brownie points and not much else. Winning games gets you hired, or at least makes it harder for them to justify not hiring you.

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | September 9, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Stuff is on sale on MLB.com for $9.99 today only and if you order $50, shipping is free. Not a lot of selection on the $9.99 deal, but I got a couple jerseys, and filled out the order with some wrapping paper for Christmas...

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 9, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

There used to be a punk act out of Springfield, MA that had a song "Wrestling is Real." The lyrics were something like, "Basketball - Fake! Football - Fake! Hockey - Fake! Wrestling is Real!"
-----------------------
"Ah, yes. And wouldn't a WWE/WWF style match between George, Tom, Abe and/or Teddy be a hell of a lot more fun than what they do now?"

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | September 9, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I go to the rest room when the Prez race comes on. Or get food. I do stay in place for the t-shirt toss.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 9, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

"Following your superior's wishes gets you brownie points and not much else."
++++++++++++++

Posted by: Scooter_ | September 9, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

The Herm Edwards clip is very apropos. It was really great to win on Sunday. Would have been neat to win in the 9th yesterday. Can't see that playing the call-ups or the auditioners would hurt, but we really need to win ONCE IN A WHILE, so people will keep playing the lottery.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 9, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

"I go to the rest room when the Prez race comes on."
Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 9, 2009 2:07 PM
+++++++++++++++
I'm pretty sure that can get you arrested.

Posted by: Scooter_ | September 9, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Well, not so far, but the secret is out now.

-----------------------------------------------------------
"I go to the rest room when the Prez race comes on."
Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 9, 2009 2:07 PM
+++++++++++++++
I'm pretty sure that can get you arrested.

Posted by: Scooter_ | September 9, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 9, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

""Following your superior's wishes gets you brownie points and not much else."
++++++++++++++
Incomprehensible handle coupled with incomprehensible statements. Check. I'm out."

You obviously haven't spent much time in the workaday world, son. Have you?

Posted by: FromTheEclipseThePlaceThatBobCarpenterCallsHome | September 9, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

What gets folks excited during races like that is having something at stake. Like when "ketchup" is representing section 321, and if it wins everyone in that section gets a free hot dog.

Make the race competitive, and have them each represent a section (a caucus? a constituency? a committee?).

Everyone in the winning section gets a qualifying offer to play 2B.

Posted by: JohninMpls | September 9, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Well, there's one way TR hasn't lost yet.

Marathon for the Incontinent
*********
"I go to the rest room when the Prez race comes on."
Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 9, 2009 2:07 PM

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 9, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

John in Mpls: I am shocked, shocked that you would even hint at sports betting.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 9, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

yesterday i was driving home and the "sports reporters" were complaining about lack of redskins coverage in the wapo. laughable.

Posted by: longterm | September 9, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Re: Managing to Win vs. Managing to Develop Youth

There are plenty of levels of professional baseball to develop young talent; the major leagues are to compete and win. I think a big problem the baseball culture here in DC has is the Acceptance of Losing - that 2013 and '14 are more important than '09 and '10. Nobody can guarantee that they'll be alive when Marrero is ready to make an impact. Don't get me wrong, the minor league talent is important and building for the future should be a top priority for all organizations, but the point of developing young talent is to Win the Games. Desmond, Detwiller and Estrada need to learn that their job on the big club is help the team win. If they need work on their change-up or curveball recognition, then tough - they should have learned that in SYR. There needs to be pressure at this level that there hasn't been. If we're truly grooming our young players to be stars of the future, they're going to have to learn how to handle pressure and it's the manager's job to maintain intesity and urgency thru-out the long season. If his lineup card underminds his message, then he'll lose the team and we're back to the old cycle of losing.

This season is not over and everyone from Adam Dunn to Ian Desmond needs to know that in DC, every game matters and we play to win. Desmond has to earn his way onto the field like everybody else. It's Foli's job to develop youth; it's Riggleman's job to win games. If Rizzo does the job most of us are expecting, we'll have a roster capable of .500 ball next year. So I see nothing wrong with instilling a 'play to win' mentality now.

Posted by: sec307 | September 9, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Riggleman realizes that most, if not all of what has come out of our farm system is garbage and it's not worth wasting the time on. Kensing 27 (washout), Estrada 26(dumped by another organization after years of struggling), Desmond (4 years in single A), Detwiler (6 ERA this year in the bigs, probably another two years away), Maxwell (.250 with no power, spends more time in front of the mirror than in the batting cage), Morse (classic tweener, no position, not enough power, defensive liability, late 20's). They'd already brought up anyone who was even remotely worth a damn earlier in the season. I can't blame him for not wanting to watch them. He's doing us a favor. At least he's doing me a favor.

Posted by: Brue | September 9, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

In light of sec3's link, how about an Upper Class Twit of the Year competition for President's Club ticket holders? (ducks and runs)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 9, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

1a, you'd *better* duck, calling Herm Edwards an upper-class twit!

What?

Oh. Nevermind.

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 9, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Oops, not *that* link, this one:

Marathon for the Incontinent