September Call-Ups Post, Pt. II

The reaction-commentary-and-penetrating-insight edition. Also, a few more facts.

* The Nats now have 31 active players on their roster. Twenty of those players have spent time this year with Class AAA Syracuse. (Not counting rehab assignments.)

* Marco Estrada will start on Saturday; Ross Detwiler, the other starter in the group of call-ups, is close to his innings-limit and will work out of the bullpen.

* Ian Desmond will wear No. 6; Logan Kensing will wear No. 26; Detwiler will wear No. 48; Estrada will wear No. 55; Zack Segovia will wear No. 58.

* Jim Riggleman, on the starting pitchers: "I think for the most part we'll start out using Detwiler in the bullpen and Estrada will start on the 12th -- that's the first day we'll need a starter. He'll start in that slot. Detwiler is getting pretty close, probably, to the end of his innings, but we're going to let him pitch a few innings here and there and at the same time maybe help us win some ballgames by getting some lefthanders out of the bullpen."

* Detwiler, on why he was effective with Class AAA Syracuse: "I think I was able to relax down there and go about my business and not force myself to get a win. I think that's the thing that helped me the most. Like I said, I was able to relax and I figured out that's one of the things I have to do here to be effective. When I didn't have the success I wanted (in the big leagues during the first half), I think I really started to try harder and do some things wrong and you saw what happened."

* Estrada, while looking around the clubhouse: "I feel like I know everybody here. I know absolutely everybody. There's maybe two guys I've never seen before. That makes it a little easier. You feel more at home, I guess. Last year I came up here and didn't know anybody; I didn't know who to talk to. I feel more comfortable right now than I did last year, so hopefully that helps me out on the field."

* Riggleman, on the plan for Desmond: "I'll get him some games, but as long as Guzman is healthy he'll be playing. If his foot flares up on him that will be an opportunity to get Desmond in there, but we also have Gonzalez and Orr who will be playing up the middle. I love to see young players play, but I don't ever want to take away the opportunity from the veterans who have been here all year... and disregard their efforts all year by planting them on the bench. Like I said, the at bats might be inconsistent."

* Desmond, on his expectations: "I have no idea (about my role). I'm just going to try to help the team and hopefully be able come off the bench, maybe get a start here or there. But any opportunity I get I'm going to try to take full advantage. I would like to see the team stay under 100 losses. I'll go out there and I can help; I think that would be great. Why not? (And personally), have fun. I think that's the main thing. Just have fun."

* Riggleman, on why Kensing is back for another chance: "I think it's a good statement by the organization that we're not giving up on that arm, but you only get so many chances. Kensing knows that. He was with the Marlins. He's been here. He's had three trips to the big leagues (one with Florida) -- and this is four. So, a lot of guys don't get two, some don't get three, and not many get four. You know, it's his time to show he can get big league hitters out by throwing more consistent strikes with his fastball. We know he can do it, but it's gonna be up to him to do it. I don't have the answers as to how he's gonna do it. I just want him to do it."

By Chico Harlan  |  September 8, 2009; 6:13 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lineups From Nats Park
Next: Phillies 5, Nats 3

Comments

Pretty insightful post.

Riggleman when you have guys hitting in the .220 and below range why would they play over guys who you know can do much better ..

Like a Mike Morse, perhaps an Ian Desmond? In other words why Maxwell?

Posted by: periculum | September 8, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

You are in fine form today, Chico. :-D

---

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 8, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Lannan is already 1/2 through with 25 pitches. I hope this doesn't mean another long night ...

Posted by: periculum | September 8, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Lannan is already 1/4 through with 25 pitches. I hope this doesn't mean another long night ...

Posted by: periculum | September 8, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Someone asked about Guerrero returning to this franchise. If I'm not mistaken Pedro won more than a few for this franchise until he was traded to Boston?

Posted by: periculum | September 8, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Darned "soft tosser" allowing those home runs ... ~grin~

Posted by: periculum | September 8, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Lannan : 3 home runs in one inning. I don't think he qualifies as an ace or for an automatic spot in the rotation next year. But I guess we'll have to see what the spring brings?

Posted by: periculum | September 8, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

I kept watching in the 7th in the hope Lannan could still win, but after walking Pedro, I know it is time to leave.

We're coming for you, Bryce Harper.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | September 8, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Did Stan K invite all of Philadelphia down again?? Ruiz' homer landed in a sea of Philly fans.

Posted by: chris88 | September 8, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

We'll see super willie appears to have reappeared from wherever he was hiding to ignite a rally.

Posted by: periculum | September 8, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

3 out of 4 of the 30 home run guys got one tonight for Philly.

Posted by: periculum | September 8, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

At least they were solos.

Posted by: chris88 | September 8, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

At least they were solos.

Posted by: chris88 | September 8, 2009

Walks will kill ya. They are still in this game probably because of that. To me that is one of the biggest changes between Bowden/Acta and Rizzo/Riggleman: stressing no walks to the pitchers.

Posted by: periculum | September 8, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

@peri, You are absolutely right. And it looks like it is just you and me in NJ tonight.

Posted by: chris88 | September 8, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

"Riggleman, on the plan for Desmond: "I'll get him some games, but as long as Guzman is healthy he'll be playing."

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

No reason not to see what Desmond can do at SS

Posted by: Brian_ | September 8, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Rallycap is on . :)

Posted by: chris88 | September 8, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Beautiful!!!! Lidge is regressing to his Astros days.

Posted by: chris88 | September 8, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

So, anything interesting happening in the game?

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 8, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Woah, what's this? Guz walks!

Posted by: swang30 | September 8, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Cristian Guzman looks like Albert Pujols to Brad Lidge!!!

Posted by: chris88 | September 8, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Watch Belliard [ab] this up somehow ...

Posted by: Sec3mysofa | September 8, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

@ Brian,
Yeah, I don't get it. Personally I would like to see Desmond @ SS and Guz @ 2B, because I believe he will be playing there next year.

Posted by: chris88 | September 8, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

You can't move Guz to 2B in the middle of the season. That's not a very good thing to do.

Posted by: swang30 | September 8, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

@ swang,
Why not, He played 3B in the all star game last year and looked great. I think he is totally up to the move and it would make sense. If desond is th guy for SS, great.
If not get a free agent.

Posted by: chris88 | September 8, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

1 or 2 games is fine, but a permanent position move is done in the off season. Like the Soriano switch, sure, he's played OF a few times, but moving him to the OF took an act of God or his duly appointed designee to force him there. You'd get a huge outcry if this was done during the season.

Posted by: swang30 | September 8, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

On Desmond not playing:

The way things are going now they could use another bat in the lineup.

So, Riggleman is going continue to play Pete Orr? A guy who probably has no future with the club and not Mike Morse who probably helped Syracuse get as far as they did along with Padilla? Orr spent most of the year in SYR with Morse. They needed Morse not Orr to get as far as they did ... and some pitching from JD Martin, Estrada, Detwiler, etc.

Orr is probably a poor man's Uggla. He may even be an Utley at the plate? And he's a veteran too?

I just don't get it. Either you are going to play the guys who may be part of the future or you are going to play guys who have contributed to another 100 games lost year?

Posted by: periculum | September 8, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Riggleman is still playing the left handed batter vs. the right handed pitcher crap putting Orr as second. Well he keeps yanking him for Gonzalez? WTF? Guzman is a switch hitter, moving to Guz to second now entails no pressure. Not with the way your team is playing? Or don't you want this job.

I think Orr can play short too but you might as well see what Desmond and Gonzalez can do there ... Espinosa is on his way. Otherwise, put Morse at second. He at least can hit.

Posted by: periculum | September 8, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Why would you reward veterans who are on thier way to losing 100 games for the 2nd year in a row? Especially when their OBP is .315. Sit Guzie, we know what he is. Let Desmond play. And Orr over Morse, no clue as to the logic there.

Veterans earn the right to play by producing not being on the roster or even in the lineup. Therefore, Zim, Dunn, Willingham have earned the right. Everyone else can sit some and let the young guys play.

I've been fairly happy w/ Riggleman until now but these moves are total mysteries to me.

Posted by: Avar | September 9, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse