The 100th Loss

It took 152 games, and then three-hours, 41 minutes, but the Nationals, after falling on Thursday to the Dodgers, 7-6, have now joined the exclusive fraternity of 100-game losers. Since 1903, 134 teams, not counting the latest entrant, have lost 100 or more. Among them: the 1905 Boston Beaneaters (51-103), the 2003 Detroit Tigers (43-119), the 1969 Montreal Expos (52-110) and 10 previous Washington-based teams, including the 1904 Senators (38-113).

The Nationals, if you're scoring at home -- or if you're still watching (and I thank you) -- are also part of a more exclusive fraternity, having lost 100-plus in back-to-back years. I'll do the all-time research on Friday, if I can find the time, but at least within the last 25 years, only three franchises (the Tigers, Rays and Royals) have equaled this stunt.

You can read some of the play-by-play highlights and lowlights in the gamer, but here is some reaction from the Washington side.

"I think it's disappointing if you lose more than half your games, period, with the roster we've got," said Ron Villone, who served up the decisive eighth-inning Rafael Furcal solo homer.

"If it's 99 or 101 or 104 or 96, you know, none of that is good," Jim Riggleman said. "Certainly 100 is something we'll try to stay away from in the future, and we'll try to stay away from 90 and hope to stay away from 80. But we're making progress, and hopefully those 100-loss seasons will be a thing of the past."

So 2010 should be better, right?

"I think the stepping stones, we're walking on those," Jason Bergmann said.

"We've got a chance to be really good," Mike MacDougal said. "If you lose 100 games, you have to make a jump the next year, right?"

By Chico Harlan  |  September 24, 2009; 11:35 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Few Injury Notes
Next: What's In Store for a 100-Loss Team?

Comments

yea, Doogie. That's what we said last year. =(

Posted by: NatsNut | September 25, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Aw, NatsN, give the guy a break, he wasn't here last year. I like that he has "hi-i-gh hopes, ya gotta have hi-i-i-gh hopes." Everyone knows an ant can't--move a rubber tree plant.

Posted by: ingbermr | September 25, 2009 1:04 AM | Report abuse

@Periculum,

I wasn't the one who quit on the Nats 5 minutes into the game the other night.

I just don't like having to read comments from pompous know it alls. You always spin things in such a nasty fashion.

You and Jaybee are two nasty dudes and I am glad the season is almost over so you two can turn your nasty know it all energy into something else more positive.

Good night Cliff (Clavin)

Posted by: WashOut | September 25, 2009 1:33 AM | Report abuse

Nothin' new for me. Expansion Nats lost 100 or more in'61,'62,'63 and '64. I survived that. I'll survive this (I hope.)

MLB sure knows how to cultivate a fan base!

Posted by: nats24 | September 25, 2009 1:43 AM | Report abuse

...crickets...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 25, 2009 6:37 AM | Report abuse

My fave Dibble line last night came after Ronnie went down swinging (in typical go-for-the-fences fashion) for the third time. Dibbs noted that they have just taken the ball out for authentication...it was Belliard's 10,000th wild swing. I LOL'd.

I also liked when Carpenter began a sentence with "every time Adam Dunn breaks his bat" and Dibble thought it would finish with "an angel gets his wings."

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 25, 2009 6:42 AM | Report abuse

also:

"So 2010 should be better, right?

'I think the steppingstones, we're walking on those,' Jason Bergmann said.

***************

no, jason. We ARE the stepping stones and the league's walking on us. We've helped a lot of teams' win records.

Posted by: NatsNut | September 25, 2009 7:27 AM | Report abuse

Game quotes from Riggleman, Villone, Bergman, and MacDougal...each saying" We'll be better next year!". They are absolutely correct, as all 4 will not be on the Nats 2010 roster.

Posted by: 1stBaseCoach | September 25, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Well, I'm still a fan. I love having a local team to root for and I follow the team closely. I continue to have great appreciation for Ryan Zimmerman. My appreciation for Adam Dunn and Josh Willingham has grown throughout the year - Dunn in particular is a huge MLB talent. John Lannan continues to impress. I enjoy cheering for the players who seem to produce despite their limitations like Nieves, Bard, Harris, Villone, and MacDougal. A quickly became a big fan of Nyjer Morgan and Sean Burnett. Rick Eckstien was a real plus this year. Rizzo seems to have a clue. I anticipate growth from Desmond, Stammen, and others in the system. I look forward to the healthy returns of Olsen, Zimmermann, Bernadina, and Flores. With any luck we'll add significant new faces next year - starting pitchers, middle infielders, better baserunners, stronger defenders, and pitchers who throw strikes.

All in all its been a disappointing two years. But next year can and will be better.

Posted by: natbiscuits | September 25, 2009 8:10 AM | Report abuse

From a prior thread. I think that I could watch a Dodgers/Yankees series and root for Torre to beat those d*mn Yankees. Also on the plus side, the Dodgers have Belli, and I could root for him. The down side of that idea for me is that they also have Manny* on the team, and I can't root for him.

---

Meanwhile, I don't know about you but I may not view the post-season at all. Can't stand to watch the Phillies or Dodgers in our league. And in the other league? Forget about it!! I never want to see a post season with NY or Boston again in my life.

Posted by: poncedeleroy | September 24, 2009 10:06 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 25, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

It's well more than half. More like 65%.

-----

"I think it's disappointing if you lose more than half your games, period, with the roster we've got."

Posted by: JohninMpls | September 25, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse

I'm still a fan and follow the team closely as well, but, dang, Doogie...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 25, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

I'm pulling for the Cards.

-----

Posted by: JohninMpls | September 25, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

You know you're a bad team when the home page of your site features player stats rather than team standings...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 25, 2009 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Just realized, with the sunny September skies gone... that Saturday's game is in the afternoon, and Sunday I have an obligation... so I won't be at any more Nats games this year...

Will miss the guys, the park, the ushers I got friendly with...the bus ride from RFK, the vendors ("Dollar water and you can take it in the park. Dollar water!")...the ramp going down after a win--so rare but so happy. A lot of fireworks...except when we had the puppies...Kids and half-smokes and statues with a lotta arms...Oh, yeah, and I guess they played baseball.

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 25, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

I know it's early in the day but morning line favorite for Post of the day belongs to:

Game quotes from Riggleman, Villone, Bergman, and MacDougal...each saying,

"We'll be better next year!". They are absolutely correct, as all 4 will not be on the Nats 2010 roster.

Posted by: 1stBaseCoach | September 25, 2009 8:09 AM |

Posted by: Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me | September 25, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

What a beautiful story, JiM. Thanks for sharing it. (sniff)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 25, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

From today's print edition gamer:

"That first inning, right out of the SHOOT, everything was up," Martin said.

Chico: JD Martin has probably been to a few rodeos and knows what a cattle CHUTE is and how a bullrider can be in trouble "right out of the chute". Not a problem buddy, you are a good young writer with no copy editor backup from your employer. Just need a little seasoning and a few trips to the rodeo for proper context.

Posted by: SackMan | September 25, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

And I'm kinda hoping to be able to root for your home nine, JiM.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 25, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Maybe he was talking about the hot dog shoot? Nah...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 25, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Nice list, NatsLady. I'll be at the park on Sunday and maybe for fan appreciation day as well, depending on scheduling, but off the top of my head I'll add: the chocolate sorbet, with ice cream in little batting helmets a close second...the excitement of comeback wins...the baseball conversations struck up with fans in adjoining seats...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 25, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

You called? Wait... where am I? This means we win the Strasburg sweepstakes right? Huh!? How long have I been asleep? Oh lord... I'm really late for work now.

~~~~~~~~~

...crickets...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 25, 2009 6:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RicketyCricket | September 25, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

I totally agree with Natsbisquit's assessment of the situation--and we could see some improved starting pitching with Strasberg(I believe he's closer to being "major league ready" than any rookie we have in the system.I also think Storen will surprise and pick up the bullpen. I'M already looking at 2010 as a much better year.

Posted by: ripndot | September 25, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

*****************

Count me as a Dibble fan too, I can't imagine how bad these games would have been to watch this season without him (I still remember Ron Darling).

Posted by: imlazar | September 25, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

I do not know about stepping stones but this season has felt like walking barefoot on a blue stone driveway at noon in August .

Every step causes pain in so many ways all you want is a little patch of weeds so you can rest before the next painful step.

Posted by: CBinDC | September 25, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

LOL, Rickety!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 25, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

22,000+ showed up last night to watch the home team drop 100. Takes a lot of stones to come out night after night and I'm one of them.

Its a sad day for sure, droping 202 games in a 12 month period sure does take its toll on the psychie! But hey, look on the bright side this surely has got to be the wake up call to the LernerStanK, there is just no way they want to be forever lumped in with the Danny.

Posted by: TippyCanoe | September 25, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Or to wear one's Nats gear in public, which I (still) do. :-D

A couple more Dibble-related tidbits. I can only imagine the fun at the (scouts, I think?) dinner that will feature Dibbs and Bob Uecker. Oh, to be a fly on that wall. And last night Dibble revealed that he will be working the postseason on satellite radio, with assistance from Mr. Adam Dunn. Too bad I don't subscribe to that service.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 25, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nats_Lady | September 25, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

That's downright poetic!

Posted by: poncedeleroy | September 25, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TippyCanoe

It takes stones to get screwed on a season ticket package?

Posted by: Brue | September 25, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Ah, a Boswell story from back when he was not a complete crashing bore. Interesting to note that his skills at evaluation (e.g., see comment on Craig Worthington) have not improved with age ...

Posted by: mgilham | September 25, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

More nice aspects about the overall experience: This year Screech was, IMHO, a huge improvement. And I like the new organ a lot (though where was it this week?). And I gotta commend the grounds crew for taking care of the park in all those awful rainstorms we had earlier in the season--talk about hustle!

Posted by: Section109 | September 25, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Good night Cliff (Clavin)

Posted by: WashOut | September 25, 2009 1:33 AM
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

That's an oldie, but a goodie!

Posted by: GoingGoingGone | September 25, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

How about (regressing to the) Norm!? hehe.

Also, new post up.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | September 25, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Do you hear the applause 600 miles north of Nationals Park? That's the sound of applause and laughter from Montreal baseball fans after the Nats' 100th loss.
Hey Kasten: Can you hire NANCY PELOSI, HARRY REID or BARACK OBAMA as your new manager of the Nats? They have a higher approval rating than the Nats' winning percentage. The city of Montreal just called. They want their team back, Mr. Kasten.

Posted by: TheFightingFitzpatricks | September 25, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse